TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 10 Rooms Contest Entry - Lost in the Far Edges - 25 Feb 2014

Please help! I'm playing on hardest and I made it out of the first room (let's call that building hereafter Building A) to the walkways and I've been able to walk around the building opposite to the starting room (hereafter Building B). But I'm really confused about where I should go, or moreover, where I am even able to go. The places I've been to, and things I've found are:

1. I haven't found any key for the safe in the starting room. I found the coin on the floor though.

2. I made it to the very high walkway on Building A, which led to an open window, with a room with a man facing a bookshelf, inside. I couldn't get inside, but stole a purse and some other item (I don't remember anymore what it was) from the desk.

3. I climbed to another high walkway on Building A and faced a grate on Building B and a window shut with a panel. I could shoot a vine arrow at the grate, but don't know where to go from there.

4. I descended from the other side of Building B and found the secret room with small stone statues. I stole them, but nothing more of interest.

5. I toppled the ladder over on Building B and walked to a third building (let's call it C). I descended to a glass window, and pickpocketed a key THROUGH THE WINDOW (is it a bug?) from a haunt-kind-of standing in front of the window. I broke the window just to keep immersion.. The haunt standing in front of the window surprisingly didn't seem to react, but died instead when I walked near it. Some other haunts nearby went nuts of course, so I had to escape. I don't feel like that's the way I should go so I'm not thinking about returning. I don't know yet, what to do with the key.

So could you give me some hint where to go next, or tell me if I've missed something important? I don't want outright spoilers.

Where you took the key you were on the right track.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Quote Originally Posted by DiMarzio View Post
    Please help! I'm playing on hardest and I made it out of the first room (let's call that building hereafter Building A) to the walkways and I've been able to walk around the building opposite to the starting room (hereafter Building B). But I'm really confused about where I should go, or moreover, where I am even able to go.
    You need to climb through a blue window in the building to the right of the building A (SE area).

Okay, thank you for your help, but I'm going to need more than that. I went inside that window, where I got the key and killed all the guardians (It was quite easy actually.) I found nothing of interest in there, besides a yet unlockable door. And then after a huge hassle I got myself to the upper walkway, and stole a gem (nothing else of interest in there as well)

I'm stuck again and I'm unofrtunately starting to hate this beautiful mission. And not because of getting stuck again, but for other reasons, which I might just share you in form of a review once I've got this beast through.

I don't know which building you mean Soul Tear, I didn't find any blue window. Please avoid using contextual directions, like 'right' or 'left'.

DiMarzio, watch the video walkthrough in post #166.

And if you don't want to watch the walkthrough yet . . .

Blue window - Stick your head out of the window you came through (haunt holding a key dies) and look up towards the right (sorry). You should possibly be able to see a washing line stretching between building A(ish) and B, which you can walk across. The window is above the washing line on the same side as the start room.

Where you are now, there's a vent you can open in the floor. One of the gates in the Goliath walkway room is slightly different and you can jump on, climb up a couple of steps and then mantle over and through.

Thanks everyone for your help! I just finished the mission and a review is coming right up at the fan mission mega thread some time in the distant near future.

Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    There are quite a few truncated texts.
    Since the mission isn't exactly easy, I guess a quick fix would be nice for everyone.

Here you go : corrected textfiles
    It's just the texts.
    I gave up playing the first version a couple of weeks ago.
    Now I wanted to give v1.2 another chance before the deadline is over.
    But the texts are still truncated.
    Did no one else bother to mention it?
    Why put effort into texts if half of it isn't displayed anyway? I am confused indeed.

I did, and I do wonder how this bad bug got no attention. And how it ended up in the mission in the first place.

Well, well, not sure what to say.
    This could have been a really fine mission , but I found the gameplay very tedious and frustrating .
    If there had not been a video walkthrough, I might well have shelved it for good.
    However, I would be glad to play a polished version some time later.

- I was playing on Expert and all 5 vine arrows were needed. So there is NO ROOM for error.
    (4 arrows for getting to the crystal and the last one for getting out of the final cave, in case you still miss some loot in order to meet the 5000g objective.)
    There should be chance to stock up.
    - Why on earth do vine arrows stick in SOLID metal (various grates like the wall grates in the Crystal room with the canope) and stone (gargoyle statues), but on the other hand my vine arrows simply disappear if shooting them at the barred window or into the bashable planks with the secret below?
    - The first drain pipe is climable, but all the others in the city are NOT. And the only chance for the player to figure out is to jump into certain death.
    That's not nice.
    - The flower bed in front of the initial window is a nightmare. You can't get back into the first room easily, since Garrett get's stuck all the time.
    And when doing the jump to the other side, there is a fair chance that Garrett simply drops down instead of making a clean jump.
    - The final 3 gems (worth 200 each) can not be seen from any angle and in order to get them, you need to walk through a tree which one would imagine to be SOLID, but it isn't.

But the texts are still truncated.
    Did no one else bother to mention it?
    Someone did.

I actually wanted to blind LP this one but after playing for 10 minutes I paused to check the thread and when I saw the video walkthrough I was like "okayyyyy..." :D

So much for that then. Still I never cease to be amazed by how much players here have mastered the game, it's eye-opening to see such high-level level design and gameplay. Also, the mission is visually stunning so I hope to return it some day.

Don't know if this has been mentioned already (I read most of the posts). I can't get back into the apartment where I began the mission. I've tried disabling new mantle. It appears that I'm "stuck" to the open window while trying to hop, crouch, sideslip, etc. At any rate, it's a game breaker for me.

EDIT: Never mind. I backed up as far as I could and jumped inside.
    Last edited by Ricebug; 16th Jul 2014 at 10:06.

Thanks, Ricebug. Since it's not an easy mission, I believe several people might appreciate this walkthru - I certainly do.

Thanks, Ricebug.

My main campaign will be easier than Lost. But not so much that players can relax.
    Last edited by Soul Tear; 25th Jul 2014 at 12:05.

Ghost
    Oh crap, my monkey fell off. And he's looking directly at me, coming through the gate.

I can't think of anything to do but restart. Damn monkeys.

(Replaying after several months.)

Nice mission this. I really enjoyed it, despite players complaining on the difficulty.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Ghost
    All right, restarted, played more quickly of course, since I remembered what I had done up to that point.

I'm now in the forest... and this time, I even got enough loot in the city that I might actually be able to finish the mission this time through!

I don't think I would have gotten much farther than the first window without poring over this thread; definitely one of the harder FMs.

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    Nice mission this. I really enjoyed it, despite players complaining on the difficulty.
    Thank you, bro

BTW, I have not forgotten about this project. I plan to improve it and release together with a sequel.

I liked it too...

It was a bit confusing in the beginning, but when you've played Thief since the beginning in 1998, all the patches, scripts, updates, has kept T2 optimized for years There was no problem with game-play at all. In fact, tomorrow my new 2TB HDD & 16Gb RAM more is coming. The 500Gb HDD which has kept Thief for over 6 years now, since the last transfer is starting to fail with the "blue screen of death" lately & yet your game worked just fine. Thief 4 I had to put on hold, well, until tomorrow I wonder how fast everything will be tomorrow? lol

Anyway, I'm stuck in the vast forest. In what direction should I be walking to find this dark/black area I read about somewhere?

Fabulous mission

Well, well, not sure what to say.
    This could have been a really fine mission , but I found the gameplay very tedious and frustrating .
    If there had not been a video walkthrough, I might well have shelved it for good.
    However, I would be glad to play a polished version some time later.
    I agree with the first part of your statement, gnartsch; however, I would rather try to find my way through an FM on my own and I become frustrated when I have to start resorting to walkthroughs and videos for every next step I must take. I have nothing against asking a question here or there on the FM's TTLG thread, but when I end up dying repeatedly during the first 35-45 minutes of gameplay, then I know it's time for me to shelve the mission. The inconsistencies in this FM bothered me greatly; the vine arrows would only stick in certain places even though they should have stuck to most of the surfaces available, and the ability to climb one drain pipe should've been applied to every drain pipe. I know the author must have spent a great deal of time and effort creating this FM and I think it would've been a really enjoyable FM if not for the ridiculously high frustration factor. There's a difference between challenging a player and just outright causing that player frustration to the point that the player loses interest in the mission altogether, which is exactly where I'm at. Very good graphics, but the gameplay was awkward, tedious, and raised my frustration to an unacceptable level (though I'm sure there are players here that considered this FM a 'challenge' and enjoyed it tremendously). I'm honestly trying to offer constructive criticism when I suggest that perhaps the author shouldn't try to be so clever as to render his FMs nearly unplayable by those of us who really don't like having to follow a walkthrough (or video) step-by-step in order to progress. It's okay to have to 'think outside the box' every now and then, but to have to do so for every single next move just makes the whole FM a pain and raises the level of frustration even more so.

Unfortunately, I had the same issues with Keeper of Infinity; it didn't seem as though the author used logic in the layout of that FM either, but seemed to focus on creating an FM that was so challenging as to be nearly impossible to play (dying every two minutes is not enjoyable, imo, nor is having to resort to a step-by-step walkthrough in order to progress at every turn). Both this FM and K.o.I. have lots of potential; I just think the author should lower the bar a little so that those of us who don't consider dying every time we try to make a move forward in an FM challenging and perhaps not make the FM so illogical (in regards to the next step/action that should be taken) that one is forced to follow a walkthrough (or video) step-by-step because the next move you must make doesn't make sense. I do think you have a lot of potential though, Soul Tear, and in time I believe you can become a truly great FM author.

Agreed Dia, i never bother myself finishing this mission, just felt tired of getting stuck at the turn of every corner, nice visuals but unbearable gameplay.

can some one please give me the most updated version download link,i cant get any of them to work

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast