TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Disable "shroud" (black fog on screen edges) PC

Getting tired of messing around with ini files trying to get this thing turned off permanently. If anyone else wants to play with it, here's a mostly complete list of the game's commands associated with it:

Cloak
    CloakComponent
    CloakSettings
    CloakSmoke
    ThiefCloakComponent
    DisableCloakEffect
    ForceHideCloakEffect
    HideCloak
    mbForceHideCloakEffect
    mbShowCloakEffect
    mCloak
    mCloakComponent
    mCloakIntensity
    mCloakSettings
    mDefaultHideCloak
    ToggleCloakEffect

As extracted from ThiefGame.u file.

-T

Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    Getting tired of messing around with ini files trying to get this thing turned off permanently. If anyone else wants to play with it, here's a mostly complete list of the game's commands associated with it:

Cloak
    CloakComponent
    CloakSettings
    CloakSmoke
    ThiefCloakComponent
    DisableCloakEffect
    ForceHideCloakEffect
    HideCloak
    mbForceHideCloakEffect
    mbShowCloakEffect
    mCloak
    mCloakComponent
    mCloakIntensity
    mCloakSettings
    mDefaultHideCloak
    ToggleCloakEffect

As extracted from ThiefGame.u file.

-T
    ToggleCloakEffect....hmmm.

Question for everyone who played the game more than I did:

Isn't the shroud (with light gem) integral part of stealth mechanics?

Garrett in the shadow + light gem is black + no visible shroud = guards might (not always?) see the player.
    Garrett in the shadow + light gem is black + visible shroud = the player is hidden.

I know it makes the light gem quite obsolete, but... I might be wrong about this. Or it's another instance of "frankensteining" of Thief (light gem as a leftover from previous concepts of stealth mechanics). The game needs many visual indicators of stealth, because the sound system (propagation) is completely unrelayable. Anyway, the stealth is quite confusing here.
    Last edited by bukary; 2nd Mar 2014 at 04:23.

Still Subjective
    Good point. I haven't played enough to say.
    I just want rid of the flashing actually.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    Good point. I haven't played enough to say.
    I just want rid of the flashing actually.
    I want to get rid of the shroud and the flashing, it's so distracting. I have quite a few hours into it now, and have been trying to give the shroud a chance to grow on me and become more of an integrated part of the game...but the thing is, unlike the lightgem in Thief 1,2 and 3, the shroud comes and goes. The lightgem was always there, so you weren't constantly reminded that it was a UI element. The shroud is off / on as you're skipping about and when you need clear vision the most (when you're in the dark) you don't have it, your vision is impaired by that swirling mass of cloak. The devs have defended it religiously, but it was just a bad idea for this type of game.

Quote Originally Posted by bukary View Post
    Question for everyone who played the game more than I did:

Isn't the shroud (with light gem) integral part of stealth mechanics?

Garrett in the shadow + light gem is black + no visible shroud = guards might (not always?) see the player.
    Garrett in the shadow + light gem is black + visible shroud = the player is hidden.
    As far as I've played on Master difficulty, it's like this:

Light Gem is black + shroud = Garret is visible from 3-5 meters away
    Light Gem is dark with light-gray outline + shroud = Garret is visible from 3-5 meters away
    Light Gem is white + no shroud = Garret is visible from far away (30-50 m).
    No other combinations other than temporary transition animations.

(the perceivable distance highly depends on FOV, I use 110)

So the Light Gem is trinary and AI reaction is binary and the dark gray light gem works effectively the same as black, just gives a warning to player that they're about to cross the shadow border. Shroud does not guarantee being invisible.

They made some changes with the patch but I managed to figure it out, sorry about having to decompress thiefgame.u, it saves me having to launch the game 500 times trying to find the right hex values.
    There seems to be two "proxy lights" now, (thats what its called in the game files).
    An "in shadow" and an "in light" proxy light, its as if garrett has an LED lantern with him,
    if you disable these, the game will be dark....Make backups and try it out to see if you like it.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    How to disable shroud and eye adaptation for thief v1.3

1. Goto Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\ThiefGame\CookedPCNG\

2. Make a backup of thiefgame.u just in case

3. Download this utility: http://www.gildor.org/down.php?file=...decompress.zip and unzip decompress.exe, put it anywhere.

4. Drag thiefgame.u onto decompress.exe you should now have a new thiefgame.u in \Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\ThiefGame\CookedPCNG\unpacked\

5. Open \Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\ThiefGame\CookedPCNG\unpacked\thiefgame.u in a hex editor. (I used HxD: http://mh-nexus.de/en/programs.php)

To disable shroud:
    Search for Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 CD CC 4C 3F 36 3D 00
    Replace with Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 36 3D 00

To disable white flash:
    Search for Hex-value: 3E 9C DE F4 3E 9C DE F4 3E CD CC CC 3E A4 3D 00
    Replace with Hex-value: 3E 9C DE F4 3E 9C DE F4 3E 00 00 00 00 A4 3D 00

Tweaking "in shadow" proxy light:
    Disabling this is not recommended, so I added tweaks to reduce the range of the light instead.

Search for Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 B4 43 14 38 00 00 00 00 00 00 28

for half range (180), Replace with Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 34 43 14 38 00 00 00 00 00 00 28

for 1/4 range (90), Replace with Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 b4 42 14 38 00 00 00 00 00 00 28

To Disable "in light" proxy light
    Search for Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 96 43 14 38 00 00 00 00 00 00 28
    Replace with Hex-value: 00 00 00 0A D7 23 3C 14 38 00 00 00 00 00 00 28

Save and fire up the game.

When you start the game, it will notify you that its using thiefgame.u in the unpacked directory and not your original one, just hit ok and the launcher should start.
    Last edited by Mavros; 19th Mar 2014 at 20:43.

Still Subjective
    This could be awesome. What is this eye adaptation thing you speak of?
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Heh, we can always trust our community will find a way.

Bizarre that it got deleted on the Eidos forums for a bit. That's a twitchy trigger finger. Modding is how people take ownership over a game. Hope it stays.

I think I must have the only installation without shroud. I am not sure what it is as I don't seem to have it.

Black fog at edges of screen? Never noticed any. Swirly cloak effect on screen? Never seen it. Maybe when setting up the game for the first time I lucked out on some combination of settings that disabled it.

That said, I have sometimes noticed a white flash when moving into well lit areas. That I could do without.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavros View Post
    Shroud was driving me nuts, figured out how to hex-edit it and make it transparent.
    Nice work. I'll look into this tonight as well.

We need a tweak tool!

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    This could be awesome. What is this eye adaptation thing you speak of?

When the light gem is dark, the game brightens the textures in a radius around the player.
    When the light gem is lit up, the effect turns off.
    Feels like Garrett has one of those LED lanterns with him.

I've narrowed down how to disable it, but I had to decompress thiefgame.u to find the hex values.

When the light gem is dark, the game brightens the textures in a radius around the player.
    When the light gem is lit up, the effect turns off.
    Feels like Garrett has one of those LED lanterns with him.

I've narrowed down how to disable it, but I had to decompress thiefgame.u to find the hex values.
    Great work. This is all stuff that was driving me bonkers. I don't like it when games have that auto adjustment to simulate the eyes...my eyes already do that for me.

Updated my post to include removing eye adaptation. Unfortunately, you have to decompress thiefgame.u to do it but the upside is, the game will use the decompressed file from another directory so you don't have to overwrite the original file.

Hope no one has problems, I'm not really good at doing write-ups.

Works great so far, thanks! I hope you can find it again (and post here) if/when they come out with another game patch. I noticed that ThiefGame.u was one of the files that got updated in 1.2.

Thank you so much Mavros. The game is so much better without the garbage you disabled.

Registered just to say a big THANK YOU to Mavros for his fix. I can now play the game.

One question: can you just replace the original thiefgame.u file with the one in the unpacked folder?

Any way to make the creeper hands that show up when you are crouching disappear?

Perhaps someone should start a thread for mod requests.

Remove crouching hands
    Remove white flash when entering lit areas
    Restore old Thief mission start audio dramatic beats at mission start

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cunningmunki View Post
    Registered just to say a big THANK YOU to Mavros for his fix. I can now play the game.

One question: can you just replace the original thiefgame.u file with the one in the unpacked folder?
    Yeah if you want. I just thought its was convenient to not have to overwrite.

As far as the hands go, Ive tried....way beyond me I believe. If anyone wants to try, you can open .u or .upk files with this: http://eliotvu.com/portfolio/view/21/ue-explorer
    I used this guide (for xcom I think) http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/H...ting_UPK_files
    I know where the settings are for the hand animations, but damned if I can figure out how to disable em.

Yeah if you want. I just thought its was convenient to not have to overwrite.

As far as the hands go, Ive tried....way beyond me I believe. If anyone wants to try, you can open .u or .upk files with this: http://eliotvu.com/portfolio/view/21/ue-explorer
    I used this guide (for xcom I think) http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/H...ting_UPK_files
    I know where the settings are for the hand animations, but damned if I can figure out how to disable em.
    I was able to speed up the loot pickup animation...I'll have to double check where I did that, just an ini tweak though. I doubled it. I think I'll try to make it so fast that the hands don't even move. lol

I uploaded a short video of what it looks like with Mavros tweak for anyone who is wondering if it's worth the effort. It's definitely worth the 10 minutes it will take you to get this done.

******** width="560" height="315">

A bug thank you to Mavros - much better with this feature switched off. I think I can see what they were going for, maybe it would have been okay on a 4K large TV - but otherwise it just obscures everything. I used all the hex tweaks, even though I was not certain about what the eye response thing was suppose to be doing - and I am very pleased with the results.

I said above that I had not noticed this shroud effect and I now think I realise why. I am playing in a 5:4 aspect ratio and did (eventually) notice that in the extreme corners of the screen there was some sort of black swirling going on.

Maybe in widescreen this swirling extends to the sides of the screen, and so is more noticeable than on a "square" image.

But thanks for the tweak above. Didn't really need to get rid of shroud but it was nice to get rid of that annoying white flash that occurs when you move into light.

Surely this hex-hack tweak deserves its own thread rather than being relativity hidden in the middle of this one?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast