TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Disable "shroud" (black fog on screen edges) PC

HOW TO: Disable "shroud" (black fog on screen edges) PC

The so-called "shroud has been driving me crazy. Finally found the solution to disable it. Amazing how simple it ended up being...

Open explorer to your game folder, go to ThiefGame > Config folder and open ThiefGame.ini in Notepad/Wordpad. Look for this line:

mbForceHideCloakEffect=0;

Change the zero to a 1. Save the file and close it. Right-click it and select Properties, tick the "Read Only" checkbox and Apply.

Start a new game. Viola! No shroud.

No need to start a new game, but shroud effect will only vanish after a cutscene, and will come back when you load a save.

Enjoy!

-Targa
    Last edited by Targa; 28th Feb 2014 at 23:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    Viola!
    Why not violin?

Also: awesome! I'll have to try this.

Some users report this doesn't work for them. I should note that I'm using a performance trick which has me using the 32-bit exe rather than the 64-bit one.

Go to game directory > Binaries. Rename Win64 to something like zWin64. Copy/paste Win32 folder. Rename "Win32 - Copy" to Win64. Then run the game. This solved all my stuttering/performance issues, as well as allowing the shroud toggle to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    Start a new game.
    Do you mean it only works on a freshly restarted campaign?

Read about this one the official boards too - is it confirmed that you need to start a new game too? Old saves won't work?

Edit: yeah, what dork said.

Damn... I hear about this 4 hours too late, won't restart my game now. But good to know how easily this nuisance everyone got so fiery about is disabled.
    Last edited by Another_Taffer; 28th Feb 2014 at 19:20.

Only works on a new save. Old saves have all the config.ini's saved inside them. I wouldn't worry about it too much seeing as how about 25 minutes into the game the black fog turned itself on again after re-loading a checkpoint. I'm going to retry and keep my finger's crossed.

Do we know where the saves are located? I didn't see them under Documents/my games/Thief, which is where I thought they would be.

It would be really cool if the EM devs would just flat out tell us how to do all this, instead of being so stubborn.

as stated in the Thief IV tweak guide thread

saves- Steam\userdata\usernumber???\239160\remote

I believe this worked once while I was messing with it but loading a level removed the change.

There's also a section that mentions the Cloak in the file DefaultGame.ini in that same directory. I'll mess with that and see if it works.

Edit: Nope, didn't work, same thing. It starts out turned off, but as soon as you load a game it's back.
    Last edited by Brethren; 28th Feb 2014 at 19:58.

Really weird... we were having a fairly long discussion about this in the official forums and when I just went back there, all the posts had been deleted by a moderator with no explanation...

At any rate, I came back to update my findings. I did as I described in my original post. I did NOT start a new game. The shroud was still in effect. However, as soon as I went through a cutscene, the shroud had vanished. I've played for the last several hours with zero shroud effect. So it is working, although it comes back when you load a saved game and so far the only way I've found to get it to turn back off is to trigger a cutscene.

Yes, it looks like anything mentioning the editing of ini files was removed. Bizarre. Are they that protective of their Shroud/Cloak that they won't even let people talk about modding the game? That seems to be at a really unnecessary level of crazy to me. It's odd though, they didn't delete the entire thread, just the posts with real specific modding references. Anyway, I PMed Viktoria about it, we'll see if she even replies.

It would really and truly suck if we found out that the reason they were so stubborn about giving us a "turn the shroud off" option was that they had programmed things so stupidly with regard to .ini files resetting and embedding into saved game files... that allowing the option would've been a massive headache for them and required a lot of reprogramming. Because that would in turn mean that we couldn't reasonably expect the community to figure it out with our far more limited options.

It would be really nice if we could get the shroud and the flashing light when you step out of darkness to go the hell away. These are extremely stupid and immersion-killing UI "pieces of flare" and in no way are they necessary to the game's mechanics or the integrity of their artistic vision. Given the other options they provided, it is a real head-scratcher why these weren't in there too.

Still Subjective
    That's ridiculous Targa. What are they playing at? I'm going to investigate. If they're is some bs policy like that there is getting a news article here on TTLG front page.

Not being able to tweak Thief? That's beyond the pale.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    That's ridiculous Targa. What are they playing at? I'm going to investigate. If they're is some bs policy like that there is getting a news article here on TTLG front page.

Not being able to tweak Thief? That's beyond the pale.
    Wow, I'm beyond annoyed. So, we've got this Thief Modding Contest going on...and here comes a bunch of enthusiastic people who are trying to Mod the 'unmoddable' game, so they delete the posts.

Well, here is a link I posted that got deleted for some Unreal Engine Modding tools. http://www.gildor.org/downloads There is a file unpacker that will allow the extraction of some of the package files in the game.

So much for building a relationship with the modding community.

Still Subjective
    Don't jump the gun. I've asked a mod there to see why it happened and what the policy is.

I'll act on the result, on The main page if need be.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Sounds like they're trying to figure out if people will be allowed to tweak the shroud.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...1&postcount=24

Still Subjective
    Well that's ridiculous.

If they ban tweak chat there we'll become the place to go. I kind of hippie they do actually.

Well that's ridiculous.

If they ban tweak chat there we'll become the place to go. I kind of hippie they do actually.
    I don't see what they would have to gain by not allowing tweaks. Seems to me that would just stir up more negative buzz.

Don't jump the gun. I've asked a mod there to see why it happened and what the policy is.

I'll act on the result, on The main page if need be.
    Well, this one instance has been singled out, yet all the other tweaks are intact...only the shroud tweak has been deleted..as far as I see.

It's an unfortunate stunt to pull in the middle of the Ultimate Thief Modding contest. It was supposed to be about building a positive relationship with the community. Well, you can't do that if you have no understanding what the spirit of modding is...and it doesn't involve policing simple ini tweaks like this.

Still Subjective
    Viktotia deleted them. She told me. She's waiting to hear from EM.

It was her choice as per the EULA.

Patience.
    Last edited by SubJeff; 1st Mar 2014 at 08:26.

One can only imagine, how nice it would be to have some goodwill and sanity...rather than unwelcome misgivings, perpetuated by those bent on ridiculous control.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    how nice it would be to have some goodwill and sanity....
    They're probably thinking exactly the same!

It would seem that they've been restored for the time being. I haven't checked because I don't know where they are.

Again, this was my decision, not EMs.
    As its the weekend and we're unlikely to hear from Freyja until Monday, I have restored the posts... so carry on. My head might still be on the guillotine either way.

Viktotia deleted them. She told me. She's waiting to hear from EM.

It was her choice as per the EULA.
    They're ini files. If the settings within were not meant to be touched, then they would be hard coded and locked away by some proprietary format.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast