TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CoSaS 3 - The Nine Year Sleep - Content Release (3-14-2014)

CoSaS 3 - The Nine Year Sleep - Content Release (3-14-2014)

Fellow Taffers,

A while ago the CoSaS team discussed the future of the project and how realistic it would be to assume we would be able to complete CoSaS 3 with the current real life commitments of the team and the limited progress in the last few years. After much discussion, deliberation, and procrastination (by me), we have made the difficult decision to release the incomplete mission files and resources in their current state so that the community can use them as they see fit and thus maybe allow the missions to live on in some form in other projects.

The attached zip file is actually structured to be usable with Garrettloader, so it should be easy for anyone interested to take a quick walk through the missions. There is no way to end the missions other than the ctrl+alt+shift+end combo at this point. I hope you all enjoy this content as much as we enjoyed working on it. I look forward to seeing creative applications of the material in future projects!

Best,
    Hassan (Immortal)

Credits/Acknowledgments:
    The mission design and brushwork is almost entirely a labor of love by Digital Nightfall. Additional mission design contributions by Mokkis, Yametha, and The Immortal Thief.

CORE TEAM - The core team of CoSaS The Nine Year Sleep:

• Anarchic Fox - Writer (MX/9YS), Mission Design (GatI/MX)
    • Dominus - Artist (MX/9YS)
    • The Immortal Thief - Mission Design (9YS)
    • Master Nightfall - Director (GatI/MX/9YS), Mission Design (MX/9YS)
    • Nameless Voice - Custom Scripts (MX/9YS)
    • Sogax - Audio Design (MX/9YS)
    • Sevenyfour – Custom Object Design (9YS)
    • Yametha - Mission Design (MX/9YS)
    • Special thanks go to Sliptip and DrK for design consultation and textures.

Some background and context:
    Before Byron was sent to The City, there was The Casts...
    The Nine Year Sleep (9YS) was a slight shift for CoSaS. It was tackled as a solo-project by the original author of a mission which had been cut from the campaign rather early in the project's history. After several months of work it was decided to reincorporate it back into the storyline as Mission 3. It was to provide a radical departure from the world of Dante and The City, and a more complete introduction to Byron, who is the player character for this mission, and his homeland of Immacul.
    (From http://cosas.ttlg.com/9ys/)

Download link from thiefmissions.com (Thanks Jason!):
    http://thiefmissions.com/cosas/CoSaS-9YS-3-13-14r1.zip

Use of the content of CoSaS: The Nine Year Sleep (brushwork, objects, textures, etc.) is permitted, with acknowledgment of the source.
    Last edited by theImmortalThief; 14th Mar 2014 at 13:17.
    FM in Progress: Bane III
    Previous FMs: CoSaS III- THE NINE YEAR SLEEP (content released), Keep of Deceit, Cult of the Damned and A Keeper's Betrayal.

OMG! Too bad It would be nice if it been completed in some form.

Thiefmissions.com

How close to being done was it?

Quote Originally Posted by epithumia View Post
    How close to being done was it?
    All of the objectives, story implementation, scripting (a very very major part of cosas missions), sound and sfx, dialogues and voice acting, cut scenes, AI, ... remained. The architecture was done. Since this was a four mission package (currently three), it may have been pulled off over a couple of years or so with a whole team of designers and scripters (like with mission X).
    Last edited by theImmortalThief; 14th Mar 2014 at 13:22.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Man, too bad it couldn't have been completed but glad to see it released anyway. Hopefully someone can do something with it.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by theImmortalThief View Post
    The architecture was done. Since this was a four mission package
    There are only 3 .mis files in the zip. Was the 4th not finished, not started, something else..?

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    There are only 3 .mis files in the zip. Was the 4th not finished, not started, something else..?
    The second mission is huge and hitting all kinds of limits so it was going to be split and expanded into two missions. That would also provided some more flexibly with the storyline. Hence another reason why so much work remained.

Master Builder 2018
    Just out of curiosity, could this whole project not have been turned over to another team to complete? Maybe with some input occasionally from current team members? I did alpha testing for 9YS and I am really sad to think it won't be finished and released one day.

Digital Nightfall probably had the best grasp on how much work was actually needed to finish this the way he and the other authors envisioned it to turn out and through our discussions together and with the team we did discuss that possible alternative but at the end after much deliberation we decided that it would be unrealistic to try and assume another team could be put together for such a sustained and long-term effort (without having history repeat itself for the third time) and that releasing it gave the best chance to get it out while an active community still existed to use the content.

Just to give an idea of the list of remaining work items in order for the missions to be developed in the same quality and vision of the previous CoSaS missions:
    • Intro scenes (plan, sequence, layout)
    • Artwork
    • Narrative and dialogue scripts for cutscenes
    • Sound recording and voice acting
    • Cinematics
    • Objectives and storyline object placement
    • Scripting all events
    • Readables, texts, all conversations (includes recording)
    • Textures and skins for AI.
    • Ambient sounds, EAXs and SFX
    • Music development and placement
    • etc...
    Last edited by theImmortalThief; 14th Mar 2014 at 13:16.

bikerdude
    Its a shame that this project isnt being released, But I am in the same boat with the TDM campaign. Atm I am the only dev working on it.

Sad to see this project fall short of the finish line.

I thought we could all use a pickle. Help yourselves...

Master Builder 2018
    Oh, those are good pickles! Thanks!

Thanks for the explanation, Immortal.

Sublime! It's a shame you don't have time to finish it, but thanks for sharing.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    To know that CoSaS is dead, I'm so sad right now.
    Let's hope for a new team that would finish it.

Thanks anyway for releasing the content, at least it doesn't vanish into someone's HDD.
    Last edited by DrK; 14th Mar 2014 at 15:51.

Classical Master 2008
    Alas.

What about the other missions which were being worked on (including the one by Purah)? Do they still exist somewhere?

Absolutely breathtaking! It would be cool to base a contest on these maps, maybe for a Christmas release?

Quote Originally Posted by Purgator View Post
    Absolutely breathtaking! It would be cool to base a contest on these maps, maybe for a Christmas release?
    Intriguing...

when i played through the three levels i just had to sign in and comment. They are absolutely amazing pieces of work, i just cant put it into the words how amazing the objects, the brush work, the level design, light placement are!!!! if the missions were ever completed i would happily pay for this instead of wasting my money on thief 4. thanks for releasing the unfinished work!

Southquarter.com/fms
    I just did a runthrough myself - the levels are gorgeous, no doubt about it. They do seem cleansed of any narrative content though, I'm guessing that's on purpose. No objectives or readables anywhere. TheImmortalThief, are you able to give us any insight as to what these missions would have been about? Or any background on Byron, Immacul, and how they all fit into the whole COSAS universe?

I think we will just have to accept these at face value. This is closure, after all.
    I would dearly love to know more about the backstory, but I understand how difficult it could be for those closest to the project to reveal.
    They are exceptionally inspiring though, and should serve as a Dromed master class for the whole community.
    Last edited by Purgator; 14th Mar 2014 at 20:50.

Well, sod. This is emphatically sucky.

I can only imagine how hard it must have been to come to the decision to do this, but thank you for releasing all this stuff anyway. There's some very intriguing architecture in there, especially in that last mission - I wonder what will be made of it all.

Pardon my language, but, damn. Sorry to see that it has come to this. I had wondered what was going on with the 9YS project and then forgot about it until now.

But thank you theImmortalThief (and the others involved) for coming forward and releasing what has been done. I'm sure something can be made out of it all.

Wow! Great stuff-I understand the pain of ending a project prematurely, I had a 2-mission FM I had begun work on last year-after taking a break during the holidays, I decided to do a reinstall of Win7 to clean everything off. I thought I had backed everything up, but due to either a flash drive problem or the fact that click and drag sometimes works a little differently than XP-I ended up losing about 80% of my progress (3 months worth of work!). Thanks for sharing it with the community-it looks very inspiring!

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I just did a runthrough myself - the levels are gorgeous, no doubt about it. They do seem cleansed of any narrative content though, I'm guessing that's on purpose. No objectives or readables anywhere. TheImmortalThief, are you able to give us any insight as to what these missions would have been about? Or any background on Byron, Immacul, and how they all fit into the whole COSAS universe?
    Yes, I purposefully removed story elements, readables and comments from the released version. Their is quite an elaborate back story that explain how these missions and Byron's story will fit into the world of CoSaS GatI and Mission X, and more broadly, in the world of the "Correspondence of Thieves" novel. Maybe one day that can be worked into a single document/short novel. There are some references and vague hints at the beginning of the Mission X intro video though, if I recall correctly.

It's such a shame. I had real trouble with lag in the alpha but with my new[er] pc, it runs beautifully. I'd forgotten how gorgeous it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast