TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief 2 : Blackmail - Insane levels of darkness!

Thief 2 : Blackmail - Insane levels of darkness!

I am currently on a re-play of Thief 2 after managing to get all of the original games playing on my MacBook Pro (using Wineskin).

Macs can be notorious for shiny, reflective screens, but I have found, even playing in the dark with the brightness up, that 'Blackmail' is almost impossible to play. The screen is PITCH BLACK for much of it, I have to rely on maps, the compass and the sound of footsteps.

Of course there are flares, but they provide a nominal amount of light and they'd all be rinsed if I used them as often as needed. I usually have to 'scope' the area out with a flare and then re-load. Which I know, is cheating.

I wondered if anyone found this with the level when playing normally? It gave me a terrible headache and I had to stop playing after a while, which is disappointing.

Any tips for resolving? I played with the gamma levels but nothing seemed to help.

In cam.cfg you have to set the gamma lower to make the game brighter.

Setting mine to about 0.42 resolved my problems with the game being too dark. But that is on Win 8.

I don't remember having that problem but it was a long time ago. I use Gamma Panel to very easily, temporarily, increase brightness for images, videos, games etc.

Would that actually work on a modern machine? I have Win 8.

I don't know, I have Win 7 and it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    I don't remember having that problem but it was a long time ago. I use Gamma Panel to very easily, temporarily, increase brightness for images, videos, games etc.
    Hmmm. There doesn't seem to be an option for OS X. Adjusting gamma from the display menu seems to result in zero difference.

Sigh!

But seriously though, is this level not infamous or SOMETHING for being 'the dark one?' Especially the beginning in the houses. I was feeling my way around.

ARGH.

So sorry - forgot you'd mentioned Mac.

Zombified
    edit cam_ext.cfg, and change
    Code:
    ;d3d_disp_no_rgb10_buf
    into
    Code:
    d3d_disp_no_rgb10_buf
    that should make the ingame gamma slider work.