TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Fms that won't work properly with New Dark - Summary of Issues in OP

Zombified
    the only step where you can fail with FMsel is extracting the FM properly. create a UGUEST folder right inside the FMs folder, and extract the files and folders from the archive there, so you will have miss15.mis and the rest of the files and folders from the archive under THIEF\FMs\UGUEST

I've just tried this out and it's as fortuni says - at least for FMSel. I see that it's only extracting about 12KB using normal methods (winrar). I think this is the first mission where I've had to create the folder myself and manually extract the files for it to play. So do what voodoo suggests, fortuni, and it should work.

Zombified
    ah yes, one weird thing that has happened when I was trying to extract the zip file (downloaded from thief missions) with 7zip - it actually failed completely (unsupported compression method error), and had to extract it manually using windows explorer. anyway, what I've said before is still valid - as long as the FM files are extracted properly and sitting directly under THIEF\FMs\UGUEST, there is virtually no way it wouldn't work.

I thought at first it was a bad zip so then downloaded from darkfate but got the same result. I noticed that most of the files were 0KB. Still, following your instructions, it works fine.

It's worth checking out file size if the same thing happens again.

Thanks for your help everyone.....but being a real computer dummy, I thought I had followed Voodoo's instructions precisely, made my own UGUEST file and manually extracted zip, but still doesn't work.....I'll wait till my mate comes back after the weekend and see if he can help show me how to do it properly.....

If not it doesn't really matter as watched the vid on YouTube and it's not the most exciting fm ever made.....

Out of interest, I did play this fm before in the days before NewDark, as I still have my notes from that time, and I didn't think much of the fm then either, so presumably this issue did not occur before NewDark.....could NewDark be causing this issue now in some bizarre way, if so should we put this fm into the list of fms that don't work correctly with NewDark

Whoa.....penny just dropped....instead of extracting manually, copy contents of zip file into UGUEST file.....

And it works

Thanks everyone

NewDark mission error ???.....T1/TG....'The night i Ghosted Berkshead' ( dl...http://www.taffersparadise.net/thief...kshead,The.zip)

at the very beginning of fm you hit an invisible wall and can't leave the room.....can post a save and screenshot if you require, but thought as its in the opening screen you may not need them...

No problems on this end. It's a T2 FM. Running through DarkLoader.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    . It's a T2 FM.
    Oops that will teach me to check the read me file 1st....was trying to play thr T1 engine

Thanks Ricebug

Another T1 fm that doesn't load correctly

as with 'Uninvited Guests' ...see thread below

just tried to load 'Hellerhouse' via FMsel...this time the opening screen shows difficulty / title /quit or continue of 'Helllerhouse' but the next opening screen with objectives shows 'Lord Bafford's Manor objectives, and OM level boots up.

tried manually copying contents of zip in FM file of HDmod, as i successfully did with 'Uninvited Guests' and still the same....OM level boots up

tried loading the fm using Darkloader normally ....no problems 'Hellerhouse' boots up.

could this mean there is a compatability issue with a small no of older fms with FMsel

Zombified
    as long as the files are not corrupted, extracted and placed properly, there is just no way FMsel would fail to load the mission. check the files, maybe they are zero size or something.

i know it doesn't really make sense to me either, but i just cant play that mission thr FMsel, but can thr Darkloader.....weird

another thing i've noticed today, is with a couple of other missions, the loading page says that the fm i'm about to play is 'Hellerhouse' but when you actually start the mission the correct fm plays, on one occasion i discovered that the intrface and strings were missing from the zip file so i deleted all and re-downloaded that fm..

Q...Can FMsel get 'bunged up' like darkloader can, and is there any way to 'clean up' FMsel.....for example on a number of fms my FMsel is showing 2 installs ie mystery + mystery(2), i have gone through my ThiefGold/HDmod/FM file and removed all 'doubled up' installs but they are still showing in FMsel....

apart from that my FMsel's working fine....

Zombified
    delete the FMs folder, let the exe create it anew.

do you mean delete the whole FM folder, with all the 200 different fm's in it....(i've just been deleting individual fm as and when)

Yup...that works Thanks VooDoo, all issues seems to be resolved, apart from 'Uninvited Guests' that still needs to be copied into FM file manually...
    Last edited by fortuni; 28th May 2014 at 10:15.

@ Voodoo

found another one....

Mineshock by JIS...crashes at the start if playing via FMsel, but works OK via Darkloader....???

Zombified
    confirming the FMsel crash, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    FMsel loads it fine for me....... it does crash right before going ingame though, might be something on my system.
    it loads ok with me too, it crashes as you go into game just like with you, so no its not your system....its works fine on Darkloader tho...

out of interest, i suggested to nickie that it may be a good idea to 'sticky' a post at the top of each fm thread warning potential players of Newdark issues / other significant playing bugs and crashes....and advising players how they can get around such issues where ever possible...this fm could be a prime example of such a 'sticky', along with 'Uninvited Guests' 'Oblivion' 'Torben - The Traitor' and 'Thieves Quarters' along with any other we know about

Zombified
    yeah, realized that it's the same a bunch of seconds later. anyway, Torben works fine with the latest TFix (as it enables the rope length fix by default), just checked.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 29th May 2014 at 19:52.

i've got Tfix 2.0 with 2.01 patch...is that not the latest Tfix...hadn't heard that you had released a more upto date one, though i do remember you saying it was going to be released shortly not that long ago... could you let me know where the link is please and ill install it...thanks

Ok. got it its called Tfix 1.19i

I agree the Problematic FM topic is Ok for now, but it will not remain on the 1st page forever, so if you are not a member of TTLG and can't see or don't know about that thread and you can't do an advanced search, you are limited the forum thread brought up through 'cheapmissions' or google, so may not know there's an issue with an fm until you hit a bug, and there's nothing more frustrating than getting 3/4 way though an fm only to discover then that you can't finish it.....as well as that not every player of thief will always be fully up to date with the latest patches and fixes, and as there are maybe only 20 or so fms that need to be flagged up, its a little project that take only a few hours to sort out....i could easily write a 'Important Notification' for each fm affected and nickie would just paste in....
    Last edited by fortuni; 29th May 2014 at 14:48.

Zombified
    that would be rather impossible, as even I don't have the 2.0 (or 2.01) release just yet. the last one is 1.19i, as far as I know.

We'll sort something out for the problem missions - they can have a link to this thread or similar. I'll have a look through tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Mineshock by JIS...crashes at the start if playing via FMsel, but works OK via Darkloader....???
    I just tried this one, and it crashes regardless of whether I try it through FMsel or darkloader (using TG patched up with TFix 1.19i). Though darkloader it sometimes gets a bit further, but it crashes through either.

Zombified
    that sounds like something being screwed up with the mission itself (it's definitely not the extra resources, as removing those will not change anything). I will check whether it loads under oldDark later. I believe I have seen something similar before here on TTLG - basically, the author doing something really unsupported (some odd crystal objects I think? //yeah), and it sort of worked in oldDark because the engine was buggy and was letting it slip by. NewDark is not so forgiving - you do bad stuff, the mission will not work.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 30th May 2014 at 14:16.

Azaran,

Did you work the switch behind the door before you tried the book trigger? It was a double switch you had to work to get the secret passage to open.

I'll have to look at why the opening sequence didn't run right. There's an invisible spider stuck in the door, which the AI attack to open the door. Maybe they can't see it in NewDark?

Quote Originally Posted by lupus View Post
    That's unfortunate to hear. Does that mean that book triggers don't work? or just that specific mission's triggers?
    Shadowspawn's Thief Pages
    Darkness is always faster than light. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds the dark waiting for it.

I have another mission that doesn't get along with New Dark. Mission 2 of the Shadows of Doubt Campaign,Tears of Blood.
    Its impossible to make it out the first part since just seconds into the mission one of the other prisoners starts going nuts which puts the Hammerite Guard on alert which fails the mission automatically on Master difficulty and makes it impossible to get out the corridor with all the cells with out him seeing you and going nuts.

It must be due to the AI's increased sensitivity that I've noticed in both Thief Gold and 2.They've become way more sensitive to stuff that they wouldn't of notice back in Old Dark.For example if the there are two guard patrolling one behind the other back in Old Dark you could KO both guards just fine whereas now when you knock out 1 the other instantly third alerts.

I have no clue what is setting off the prisoner and thus the Hammerite since I am hiding in the darkness in the cell nor am I making lots of noise so their is nothing going on that should alert them.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast