TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How would you rate NuThief?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Masterpiece

2 1.68%
  • 9 - Amazing

4 3.36%
  • 8 - Great

8 6.72%
  • 7 - Good

15 12.61%
  • 6 - Okay

16 13.45%
  • 5 - Mediocre

24 20.17%
  • 4 - Bad

17 14.29%
  • 3 - Awful

10 8.40%
  • 2 - Painful

9 7.56%
  • 1 - Disaster

14 11.76%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you rate NuThief?

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    This thread was created with the sole intention of dissing Thief. Bear that in mind before you read any of it.
    You are incorrect...This thread was created for community members to rate the game, and comment on why they rated it the way they did...It has a full-spectrum rating scale, in order to reflect an accurate gauge of each members opinion, whatever that may be. Because the very nature of the construction of this thread is one of fairness, where anyone can rate and comment with liberty, your claim proves to be false.

Got to go, on my way to E3...See you on the flipside...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    classic CRPG dickwaving competition vs NutjobDawn.
    Im sorry, I wasnt talking to you. I was talking to Brethren, which is why I addressed him. If you are on Brethrens team, Im not interested. If you are acting alone, again, not interested. As far as your strange fantasies about dickwaving, I certainly cannot help you. Perhaps you should look up that dude from the 90's.

Moderator and Priest
    This is the biggest problem with you, GM. You proclaim yourself king of the CRPGs, condescend to people for "not understanding computer game history" without any explanation beyond that, then the moment someone calls you out on it, you backpeddle away from the confrontation and go hide until everyone forgets about it, then you pop out and do it all over again.

It all kinda strikes me as being sorta poseurish. To abuse an oft abused phrase, you can talk the talk, but you can't walk the walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    This is the biggest problem with you, GM. You proclaim yourself king of the CRPGs, condescend to people for "not understanding computer game history" without any explanation beyond that, then the moment someone calls you out on it, you backpeddle away from the confrontation and go hide until everyone forgets about it, then you pop out and do it all over again.

It all kinda strikes me as being sorta poseurish. To abuse an oft abused phrase, you can talk the talk, but you can't walk the walk.
    Like that time I proved he doesn't know anything about the history of gaming, and he kept moving the goal posts every time I proved him wrong?

I have no idea what either one of you stoners is talking about. Thief: The Dark Project had many redeeming and replayable qualities. These elite gaming ideals were inspired by the companies that gave them their start and influenced their career. The classic crpgs.

In this thread, I made the comment that compared to Dark Project and the illustrious past of computer gaming, specifically the companies that paved the way for LGS, NuThief *pales* in comparison. How you, again, stoners, managed to start freaking out about NutjobDawn again, is beyond me.

And this is a pissing contest now? It doesnt matter *how much* you know about classic gaming, it only matters that you *know*.

Dude, pass me the bong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoon Dawn View Post
    Troll troll troll troll, I'm going to pretend to be a parody of a human being, troll troll troll, verily.

Do you really think anyone actually believes this ridiculous troll farce you put on? What kind of deranged joy do you get out of making the most illogical, unfounded, and absolutely ludicrous posts in the history of internet message boards on a daily basis? We all know what you're doing, and it's not anywhere near as subtle as you seem to think it is. Please stop and be a real person that has non-fictional opinions.

By the way I decided to vote after all.

gave it an eight for grrrrrrr8

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillaX8 View Post
    the most illogical, unfounded, and absolutely ludicrous posts in the history of internet message boards on a daily basis?
    Please keep in mind that I am certainly not the only person who thinks that modern gaming is a shadow of its former self.

Moderator and Priest
    Some guy 10 years older than you thinks good gaming died with the Atari 2600.

We should start ignoring GM. There is no sense in responding to the nonsense he is delivering.

hmmm bell curves

4. Same MO as Starker. City Sections were a bearable 5ish. Main missions were an unbearable 3ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    Surely it's possible to discuss (and disagree) without personal attacks...
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoon Dawn View Post
    Im sorry, I wasnt talking to you.
    You were posting stupid shit on a public forum, so I'm calling you out because a.) I'm probably older than you are, have been gaming longer, have played more games, and have a better idea of the history of gaming, at least in terms of genres that have held the focus of my interest for a long time (cRPG's, racing sims, baseball games, immersive sims, etc) and b.) having said that, playing the "I speak like a RenFaire reject and have a mancrush on Richard Garriot" card has to be the most hilarious attempt at creating a sense of superiority over anyone ever.

Taking the Death Toll
    I thought this crap ended when T4A was closed.

god dammit jason why did you link me to this

You link each other?

Master Builder 2018
    I've reopened this thread at members' requests and I'm willing to keep it open if it can stay on topic.

Thank you, Tannar...I can assure you that it will, as I will report anyone foolish enough to disrespect this thread with unwelcome personal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    4 - Bad -- it's just such a bland uninspired game consisting of open world gameplay that has you break into the empty apartments of poor people and being funneled through linear levels punctuated with cutscenes and action sequences in the main missions. The darker and edgier characters and the grimdark setting turned out to be predictably boring and the story was an incoherent badly written mess.

If it weren't for the bugs, graphical glitches, broken audio and boring AI, I'd rate it as 5 - Mediocre.
    If it weren't for the side missions raising the bar of the overall experience, I'd rate it as 3 - Awful.
    This is close to my general sentiment, as a game by itself...Although, if you consider the additional negative repercussions to the coherence of the Thief Universe, and the inferior NuThief contextual gamelplay, that displaces far superior possibilities...then it would even be lower than that.

Still Subjective
    That's my beef with it too - it sets a very bad tone and bodes badly for any sequels. If they just got the mechanics wrong they could fix that. If they'd just had a lacklustre story and characters they could fix that.

But to fix it all means essentially going back to the drawing board.

I STILL haven't finished it. I got bored and started playing Metal Gear Solid and The Swapper instead.
    Last edited by SubJeff; 12th Jun 2014 at 06:21.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

I'll agree that Thief's a bit of a mess overall, but it's really good at moments. I had so many little moments where the atmosphere felt just right, where the gameplay was tense and I pulled off some tricky move and felt really stealthy.

I don't think the mechanics are broken at all. They need to be refined, but that basically would amount to making mantling and dropping from ledges more consistent. And adding free jump, I guess, though I didn't really miss it. If mantling worked a little more predictably and on a greater variety of surfaces, there wouldn't be a need to jump in place.

I'd argue the lackluster story and characters was the biggest problem. More varied mission design would've helped, too, but these are all things that could be remedied in a sequel.

Still Subjective
    The mechanics aren't broken, they're badly designed.

Well, I suppose everyone already knows how I feel, but I don't really think they are. For the most part I thought Thief felt very fluid and responsive. Yes, it would have been nice for the contextual movement to be a bit less contextual, but I honestly never felt that immersion suffered greatly because of the controls. In many cases I think it was enhanced -- the body awareness and hand movements in particular.

And lest someone claim that immersion and atmosphere probably just aren't as important to me, I'll say that I've long held up the Dark Engine as having the finest first person motion. Mirror's Edge maybe bested it, and then perhaps Dishonoured, but I wonder if a lot of people here are complaining about the motion in Thief simply find the idea of contextual motion to be distasteful because in practice it actually felt quite smooth. Compared to Deadly Shadows it's VASTLY improved, and it's not as though the original Thief's mantling was so perfect, either.

Still Subjective
    It's fluid if you use it as its intended. It's still badly designed though. The lack of freedom makes the game feel a lot more on rails because it eliminates so much that you should be able to do. Only being able to mantle on a few things, for example, is just naff. Rope arrows are a shadow of the previous implementation. No free jumping just feels bad.

Dishonoured could do it. Why couldn't Thief?

Everyone's mileage will vary, but I can think of only a couple instances where I couldn't get to where I wanted to go because I wasn't allowed to mantle there. It never felt like a great hindrance to me because it worked 95% of the time. Rope arrows are a bit of a bust, but seeing as how there were so many spots to use them in anyway, it didn't end up feeling much different in practice than old Thief.

And the more I think about it, the less I care about free jumping. Just because you could hop around in lots of FPSes of yore doesn't mean it should be a deal breaker now. Climbing, not jumping, should be the focus. If we're talking about realism, I can't jump higher than a foot or so anyway. Dishonoured is definitely a benchmark for FPS controls, but in the end I didn't find it significantly better than Thief's, and in some ways (body awareness, mainly), I prefer Thief. Swooping was actually really well implemented, too.

I think the worst part about rope arrows was how obvious it was set up in the places you could use them. HEY CHECK OUT THIS POLE STICKING OUT HERE FROM THIS BUILDING. It took all the fun out of trying to find the right spot to climb up in order to get to a specific area. As far as mantling goes, that was really frustrating because some crates you could mantle over and some you couldn't, and you never knew which until you tried them. Nothing like running smack dab into a crate and then being forced to walk around it.

Dishonored was great for movement, but that's because you could free jump, mantle, lean, swim, pretty much anything you could do in the original Thief games. I don't think it compares at all to Thief 2014, except maybe that, um, you can move forward, backwards, and side to side?

Btw, it's really cute how our Gen Gaming critics Jason Moyer and dethtoll gave scores of 9 and 10 in the poll, respectively. But I'm sure they're not trying to stir the pot or anything.

I explained my Thief score in another thread, actually.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post2251178

Still Subjective
    Dishonoured has the best mantling I've come across. By far.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast