TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How would you rate NuThief?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Masterpiece

2 1.68%
  • 9 - Amazing

4 3.36%
  • 8 - Great

8 6.72%
  • 7 - Good

15 12.61%
  • 6 - Okay

16 13.45%
  • 5 - Mediocre

24 20.17%
  • 4 - Bad

17 14.29%
  • 3 - Awful

10 8.40%
  • 2 - Painful

9 7.56%
  • 1 - Disaster

14 11.76%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How would you rate NuThief?

Quote Originally Posted by CloudOJD View Post
    I believe you just summarized my entire experience with this game.

I finished it once, and I will never touch it again. Playing it makes me sad.
    This entire mindset is completely incorrect.

You're going into the game projecting what you want it to be rather than experiencing what it is.

So, in a nutshell, if I had a turd presented in front of me and someone told me to eat it, I should eat it because what I expect of it is irrelevant and I should experience it for what it really is?

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    So, in a nutshell, if I had a turd presented in front of me and someone told me to eat it, I should eat it because what I expect of it is irrelevant and I should experience it for what it really is?
    That's a completely irrelevant analogy and you know it.

Judging something by what it is not, rather than what it is, is completely unfair to the thing being judged.

People did judge it for what it was. A mediocre game.

They also judged it for what it was not and that's completely fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanuckle View Post
    I gave it a 9, because I actually enjoyed the game. I didn't go in there with a chip on my shoulder; "This isn't anything like TDP, it's horrible!" or "No zombies? No fun."
    My biggest complaint is that the missions tended to not have much free-roaming involved. In T1 and 2, you could run across the entire map. With this one we've got kinda the same linear design with chokepoints that a lot of modern games have.
    But you know what? I still had lots of fun.

^^^^ THIS! ^^^^

9 from me too.

It took me a while to stop being surprised every time I couldn't jump or climb where I wanted, and at first I was disappointed in the game. But then it began to open up and show me the different areas and missions and it turned out that I really do enjoy playing Thief 4

I've played all the previous ones and they also had their own faults and we still loved them (well, not #3 as much although it had it's stellar bits ). I chose to recognise that this fourth outing is basically the same fun game of sneaking around..... but different. Yes it has various annoying aspects (especially as I played it in Classic Mode with prompts turned off)but I am just happy that they made another Thief game. And if they ever make #5 I will be happy all over again.
    Last edited by Nightcrowe; 2nd Aug 2014 at 13:00.

I give it a nine also I enjoyed it very much!! The attack you can do from above is awesome! and the claw was a lot better than that stupid set of climbing gloves!!

The cityscape was beautiful and fun to explorer. There are a few things that I didn't like, like not being able to climb and jump when you want to!

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryn View Post
    People did judge it for what it was. A mediocre game.

They also judged it for what it was not and that's completely fair.
    If you go into a game thinking it's going to be crap, and are constantly trying to find reasons to hate it, guess what? You'll easily achieve your goal. You have to be willing to like something before you will like it. That's how the human mind works.

You won't be ABLE to like something if you're getting enraged by every little thing that isn't perfect, or isn't the way you'd have done it. I don't understand why so many people let negativity fester in themselves while trying to enjoy something meant for their entertainment. It's like going to a movie, and spending the whole time looking for errors in the filming, or plotholes, etc. Just learn to enjoy things and stop being so demanding and critical.

I guarantee if you turned off your sky-high expectations for the game, you'd enjoy it as much as the rest of us that actually like the game, despite being fans of the classics also.

In the context of the modern stealth game, Thief doesn't stand up to the competition. Blacklist, Human Revolution and Dishonored beat it in every respect.

I finished a ghost run on Master Thief difficulty with most of the ui switched off. It's a massive, generous game that plays like it was rushed out the door. When it works, it can be enjoyable but it has too many bugs, design flaws and questionable decisions to recommend to anyone but the most desperate of stealth fans.

Thief is a broken, tragic, rewritten mess of a game. The plot has clearly been reworked multiple times. The Baron and Orion standing in for the Mechanists and Pagans respectively, is fine on paper but it doesn't work in execution. Since they have barely any screen time, they have to scream their motivations to the player in an awkward, rushed manner. Erin feels like a holdover from an earlier iteration of the game, when it was a straight sequel to Deadly Shadows.

The Thief Taker General is hilarious. I love it when he happens to find Garrett, who has just returned from a trek through a long forgotten ruin, underneath his bed at the brothel. I like the idea of Garrett having an antagonist but TTG is just awful; a bald, mustachioed villain who walks with a limp, drops f-bombs, kills his underlings over trivial matters (so you know he's bad!) and has a crossbow affixed to his arm. There's way too much going on here. He feels like a one of the grotesque characters from Hitman: Absolution. Why Eidos Montreal thought he would be a good choice for the Thief universe is baffling.

The sound-mixing is atrocious. The worst I've ever heard in any AAA game. That's not hyperbole. It's broken. Sound cuts out frequently, guards across a courtyard sound like their yelling into the players ear, npcs yell ambient dialogue over Basso repeatedly during cutscenes, and Garrett's voice actor frequently pauses to his read lines. The lip-syncing is horrid. I really miss the sound propagation from the earlier titles. Unless you're walking on glass or water, it's doesn't matter where you walk, Garrett won't make a sound.

There are some really cool additions including blunt arrows (must-have for all future Thief games), some instances of impressive a.i. (noticing open safes, lights switching off etc...), knocking over bottles, real-world alarms (birds, dogs), the lockpicking game making a noise when you fail. It's quite enjoyable, but not without reservations. Some of the best parts of the game are undermined by, I suspect, poor play testing. For instance, after cracking a safe in tailors shop, Garrett refused to stop examining the silly earring I just nabbed. The animation was unskippable, so when the guard rounded the corner, I didn't have time to shut the safe, and he went on alert. Not cool.

While the city looks gorgeous, its pretty much empty. The sidequests are neat, but most of the time I'm just exploring an vacant apartment; no one's home. If I mess up the lockpicking or set off a trap 9 times out of 10 it doesn't matter since it's empty. All these cool additions to the game are underused. Also, there's so many loading zones! Enter a one room apartment. Pick up a letter opener and a ring. Leave in under 20 seconds. Load for just as much. This content just slows the game down. Then there's a lack of abilities and gadgets. I like Swoop, but it's basically a grounded Blink and the rest of Garrett's abilities are essentially uniquely skinned door-openers.

Garrett's movement has a nice heft to it. He feels present. But moving through the world is about working out exactly what the designer wants you to do, not using your instincts or experimenting. If a rope arrow is just out of reach, don't bother trying to grab it. You need to look for a crate, or a ladder or a walk way to reach it. It's a discrete puzzle that was made for that specific instance. I wish it was like Assassin's Creed or Mirror's Edge. Instead it's an awkward compromise that isn't very enjoyable. Unlike Dishonored, where the designers have a set of rules that you can rely upon, Thief is about instances. These guards will patrol in this pattern no matter what. This object can be leaned around, while another identical object cannot. You can climb this crate, but not this one.

It's such a frustrating game! It doesn't have the same love Eidos Montreal had for Deus Ex. That team got the brand. Thief doesn't play like the rest of the series. That's fine. It's been a decade since Deadly Shadows. Time moves on. But Dishonored is Thief's competition and that game, as a stealth adventure, did a better job in every respect of capturing the essence of Thief. Thief plays like it was made in 18 months. It simply wasn't ready. I hope they get the opportunity to take a long look at what happened here, evaluate and take another stab at the licence.

I didn't go in with any expectations. I didn't even know it was in development for most of the cycle then only knew the release date because I just happened to see it. I maybe read two articles prerelease.

NuThief got a few things right and a lot of things wrong, and those wrong things were pretty important. Therefore, it was a bad game. Sorry, you're too dense to see legitimate criticism for what it is. Keep frothing in rage though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryn View Post
    Keep frothing in rage though.
    "OMG EPIC FAILURE LOL DISGRACE TO FRANCHISE, LAWL BANDWAGON" Am I popular now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tibbs View Post
    There are some really cool additions including blunt arrows (must-have for all future Thief games)
    Actually, I prefer moss arrows from the old games. They can be used for silent switch pressing just like blunt arrows, but they are also really valuable for making surfaces silent.

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillaX8 View Post
    This entire mindset is completely incorrect.

You're going into the game projecting what you want it to be rather than experiencing what it is.
    I wanted it to be what it advertised it's going to be: A Thief game.

Stop trying to defend the game. You won't change my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudOJD View Post
    I wanted it to be what it advertised it's going to be: A Thief game.

Stop trying to defend the game. You won't change my opinion.
    So, Thief games aren't about sneaking around and taking loot? What have I been playing all these years?

So, Thief games aren't about sneaking around and taking loot? What have I been playing all these years?
    Thief games aren't games with questionable design choices. Thief games aren't games with broken core mechanics. Thief games aren't games that come with a sound engine that's almost completely unfunctional.
    Thief games aren't games with awfully written scripts. Thief games aren't games with a barely functional AI.

And Thief games are certainly not games that need a freaking boss fight.

Even if I look past its flaws and see it "for what it is", the game will still be insecure about its identity.

I've suffered through the whole game so I can say I gave it a chance. And I did. It's simply a bad game.

One more thing; if I'm expected to look past a game's flaws to enjoy it, doesn't that say something about the game in question?

Look, if you're happy with a product that does the minimum to pass as something, that's great. I appreciate where you're coming from, but don't expect the rest to fall in line just because you'll settle for something as half baked as Thief 2014. It's an ok game, and that's about all I can say about it.

Judging something by what it is not, rather than what it is, is completely unfair to the thing being judged.
    But I judge it as what it is, that is a mediocre, broken game with terrible mechanics, hilariously bad story, awful characters, a crapload of bugs and completely linear progression with no room for emergent gameplay. We have already discussed this many times and yet you disregard these valid criticisms as usual and continue with your mindless frothing defense. Thief 4 has some cool things in it like the ability to peek through keyholes and a nice, albeit very cliché atmosphere and setting, but come on that doesn't make that game good at all, it only saves it from playing in the same category as truly irremediably bad games.

Even if that thing wasn't called Thief it would still be a mediocre game, and an even lesser stealth game at that. Mr. Tibbs said it better than me, all the stealth games that were released before or close to Thief 4's release are way better in every single aspect, Dishonored and Mark of the Ninja being the first ones in line by far. That's how you make a stealth game. Thief 4 is not how you make a stealth game and certainly not how you make a good game. I've seen lots of people who never touched the original series and who tossed it afterwards because it was bad. How do you explain that? And don't start with your "they expected something that the game wasn't so the game isn't bad, it's their fault". That's a completely idiotic argument.

Just played a few missions of TDS to check out the new Gold mod (which is both really well done and kind of awkward - the transition areas tend to be long barren hallways), and then fired up Thiaf and did a few missions and, regardless of the way it toys with canon and the sim-iness of the series, it's significantly more fun to play. The movement just feels so much better and more fluid it's like light and day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    it's significantly more fun to play.
    HOW DARE YOU INSINUATE THAT THE GAME ISN'T COMPLETE AND UTTER DRECK. YOU'RE A FROTHING DEFENSE MACHINE! ADMIT THAT IT'S BAD. I HATE IT AND IT THEREFORE HAS NO REDEEMING QUALITIES, NOR CAN ANYONE EVER ENJOY IT BECAUSE I DECLARE IT OBJECTIVELY BAD!

Your little routine is getting old.

@Jason Moyer - TDS's movement sucked hard, so it isn't tough to beat. As a whole though, I think it's a better Thief game.

HOW DARE YOU INSINUATE THAT THE GAME ISN'T COMPLETE AND UTTER DRECK. YOU'RE A FROTHING DEFENSE MACHINE! ADMIT THAT IT'S BAD. I HATE IT AND IT THEREFORE HAS NO REDEEMING QUALITIES, NOR CAN ANYONE EVER ENJOY IT BECAUSE I DECLARE IT OBJECTIVELY BAD!
    Wow. No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Your little routine is getting old.
    So are the posts from people who refuse to let themselves enjoy a good game.

Who's doing that? Liking or disliking a game is not an accomplishment. If someone loved the game, found it mediocre or hated it, that's their experience. They should be able to share that.

So are we not allowed to state our opinion? Nobody here is mocking you for yours, like you do for ours.

I told you I think it's a bad game and that you won't change my opinion. I never said you shouldn't like the game. I never said you are a bad person for liking the game. I never started mocking you because you like the game. All I did was state my own experience of the game. And yet for some reason that eludes me, you got offended.

Stop being a child and drop this.

Maybe others didn't think the game was as 'good' as you appear to think it is. What's your motivation in defending the game anyway? It's just a thing. You own shares in Square Enix or something? lol

It's these kind of posts that really make me wonder if you aren't just trying get people worked up for no other reason than to have a laugh. There is no way you are so simple as to think that boiling Thief games down to sneaking and stealing is all that made them great.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast