TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Getting Thief 1 Monsters into Thief 2?

Getting Thief 1 Monsters into Thief 2?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I've done an exhaustive google search and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Basically I want to use dromed 2 - dromed for thief 2 with newdark, tafferpatcher, etc, to make a thief gold-style mission with monsters, etc.

How do I get thief 1 creatures into thief 2?

Southquarter.com/fms
    This tutorial is pretty old, but it may get you where you want to go:

http://southquarter.com/dromed/?p=17

Also, Dark Arrow's site has a zip file that contains all the resources needed to bring over burricks, bugbeasts, craymen, and fire elementals.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/~darkar/

And all that stuff is also available in the DEDX package.

http://www.thiefmissions.com/tools/

Classical Master 2008
    DEDX is the way to go; it has most T1 assets you'd need - AI, textures, objects and sounds. My Thief missions have also built on DEDX and added more texture support; check out the archive of Disorientation for aluxgam.gam and a bunch of imported T1 textures.

Of course, with NewDark, you can just build a T1 mission without any serious difficulties.

Is DEDX compatible with all the improvements in newdark? It's like an older version of dromed, right? Are there drawbacks to it, compared to the current version of dromed?

I agree with Melan on the last sentence because why don't you just make it in Thief 1/Gold? It's much simpler and both Thief 1 and 2 are pretty much the same with Newdark installed and it would just be a waste of time to make a custom gamesys in Thief 2 when you have everything you need right there in Thief 1. I also don't get why not so many people like Thief 1 anymore! It makes me angry that most missions nowadays are only released for Thief 2

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGuy101 View Post
    It makes me angry that most missions nowadays are only released for Thief 2
    Stop being a crazy person. Even before NewDark the Thief 2 Dark engine was better in nearly every way (the only advantage I can think of is lightmap luminance resolution). With NewDark, they are the same engine. There is no sane reason to release a T1-only FM these days.

Classical Master 2008
    Quite a lot of insane ones, though.

That Dark Arrow link worked perfect, thanks Brethren. I was having some trouble getting T1 dromed to work, so I think I'll go ahead and make a pagan-monster-type level in thief 2. It'll be a surprise!

I don't think that everyone needs to make "Thief 1-only" FM's, it's just that I think that Thief 1 isn't really alive anymore and it's quite sad that only a few people actually make Thief 1 missions which would include myself. Also I'm not really that crazy I just get a little mad over things that aggravate me

The boys are back in town!

ZylonBane
    it's quite sad that only a few people actually make Thief 1 missions
    No it isn't. That's like being sad that nobody makes Julian calendars anymore.

They don't make Julian calendars any more?? I should go out and buy up the remaining stock while there are still some left! (http://www.calendarlabs.com/julian-calendar.php)

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    No it isn't. That's like being sad that nobody makes Julian calendars anymore.
    It may not be to you but it is to me and you can't change my opinion and I can't change yours either that's just how it goes.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    They don't make Julian calendars any more?? I should go out and buy up the remaining stock while there are still some left! (http://www.calendarlabs.com/julian-calendar.php)
    Those are actually Gregorian calendars, with Julian-style day numbering.

It may not be to you but it is to me and you can't change my opinion and I can't change yours either that's just how it goes.
    Just so long as you acknowledge that your opinion is not founded on any rational train of thought.

What in the world does that mean? That my opinion is dumbfounded

Is this still the best way to go?

https://dromed.whoopdedo.org/dromed/...atures_into_t2

I'm surprised there isn't a more seamless way to go about it, given the sheer ubiquity of T1 creatures in T2 FMs. DEDX is still a pretty subpar option, right?

(making the mission for T1 isn't a viable option---I'm already about 80% done).

Dˇttirin klŠ­ist oft mˇ­ur m÷ttli
    It's easy to do it with a gamesys dml.

1. Export the creature archetype in T1/TG as dml and save it.
    2. Create an archetype in T2 (same name) or use the new createarch feature.
    3. Import resources
    4. Load gamesys dml and save gamesys.

If you don't know how to do it, just tell me what you want and I create the dml.

I'm currently working on a big gamesys.dml for trefoilknot, but the dml will be available for everyone. It will include some creatures from the T1/TG archetype in order to load it in T2.
    The dml will be based on NewDark 1.27 CreateArch-feature which is sometimes like playing dml chess if different links and dependencies are being used. Very difficult sometimes. I can do it now, tomorrow I will have forgotten everything (I hope)

I already included
    -Mages, their custom metaproperties and projectiles
    -Elementals
    -Burricks and their descendants
    -Craymen and Craybeast
    -Trickster and his stuff
    -Spiderbeast
    -Bugbeast

the dml is huge already.
    What else should I include? Wishes? Suggestions?
    Last edited by Unna Oertdottir; 15th Oct 2019 at 19:04.

Great work! I hope many will find it useful

My suggestion would be:

-The ape/rat beasts, armored and un-armored
    -The fire shadow

Btw is it at all possible to import T2 creatures into TG? I have seen it only one way around so far.

Ratmen are already there.
    Fireshadows are much harder, since they have some TG-only scripts. Maybe I can rework this.

Thanks for work on this, Unna, you are a rockstar!

Is there a working T2 gamesys where I can steal a reworked fireshadow (which is as close to the original as possible?)

The T2 FM campaign "Seven Sisters" by Lady R. has some fireshadows, but I do not know how faithful they are to the original.