TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 HD Texture Mod

@ Brethren

I've added the NewDark v1.26 Thief2.exe to the mod. But you should install last Tafferpatcher first.

@ Goethe's Ghost

there is no release planned at the moment. But maybe in upcoming months.

Also somebody asked if he can combine Necro Age and HD mod. The answer is clearly -> no!
    Last edited by Gecko; 4th Dec 2018 at 04:41.

Sounds good, Gecko. If you need a beta tester for it (although I doubt you will), I would be available.
    Last edited by Goethe's Ghost; 4th Dec 2018 at 13:47.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    The introduction of knee-high grass on levels that realistically would be well-maintained is also an... interesting choice.
    Yeah, this caught my attention too. Looks like Rumford's manor had been abandoned for years. But ironically, it's harder to make shorter grass looking good enough yet not killing the performance. But a compromise must be possible, I believe.

---
    I love the smoke and arrow/water contact effects though!

There's obviously tons of work here, but the problem is similar to what Purgator was once doing with finding hi-res photos to enhance original textures. A huge effort in improving surface fidelity alone doesn't make sense. All pieces of the puzzle need to go hand in hand. Otherwise it leads to ridiculous situations like in the video, where you have a 2k texture of a super sharp-looking flat column on a blocky cylinder. At some point this stuff just needs to be done with actual geometry, or the textures should not be as hi-res, because they make environments look super clean and empty.

You can take a look at the Mission 'Blackmail' at Garrett's startpoint. The grass is shorter here at start. In my opinion this doesn't look good. Next thing is if you want very short grass...remove it completely. It isn't worth it. In game-engines like UE4 or Unity no problem....but not in dromed. And because my grass version is moving i havn't added a second version with 99 animated frames Needs to much memory. If you use the static version it wouldn't be a problem to add more different grass versions. But as i said....short grass doesn't look well with the grass object i use here:

Dale has made this object for his FM 'Coaxing The Spirit'. He has sent me the original .3DS file of the grass object last week and it's now possible for me to change this object. I want to experiment with it in 3DS max a bit now...
    On the release week of T2 HD mod i was very ill and was lying in my bed most of the time. It was hard for me to hold the release date because of that but as you know i made it.

Next thing i want to say is that it's possible that this was my last HD mod version for the next years. As i said i'm working with the Unreal Engine 4 now and it's not only a hobby...it's my job now. So i don't have much time any more. Also to work with dromed is a pain in the ass if you want good looking vegetation. NewDark is great and all but if i look at UE4 and what you can do. No thanks.
    Last edited by Gecko; 4th Dec 2018 at 14:55.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    You need to check the missions with new vegetation again. LODs are not working correctly.
    Dromed displays many warnings in the monolog

WARNING: 'Model LOD' property on obj xxx: 'LOD 1->2 Dist' must be greater than 'LOD 0->1 Dist' + 3

@ Gecko

The mod,s awesome, thank you!

There's one thing that confuses me though: some door textures. Some have "letters" signature and well... these doors often simply don't fit in. For example in mission "Framed" the whole police station has these doors in every corridor and even the WC.

I think the texture should be somewhat less standing out.

Thanks again for the great mod!

P.S. I also just encoutered two more issues:
    -Vegetation LOD issue - I had to increase values in gamesys.dml to 65 and 75 to alleviate this.

-Aaaand this:

I believe candlesticks and torchholders' models are messed up somwhere.
    Last edited by Lex; 16th Dec 2018 at 10:28. Reason: new issues

Zombified
    might be a script issue. maybe I'll have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    You need to check the missions with new vegetation again. LODs are not working correctly.
    Dromed displays many warnings in the monolog

WARNING: 'Model LOD' property on obj xxx: 'LOD 1->2 Dist' must be greater than 'LOD 0->1 Dist' + 3

I've checked it. That's no problem because these models with warnings don't use LOD 2 model. It makes no difference and it works as it should.

@Lex

I will check the door textures.

I've never seen this issue what you have with the candlesticks. I can't help you there at the moment.

Vegetation LOD issue:

This is no issue. The distance is set to very low for better performance. So it's normal if you mean the 'pop-up' effect at near distance.

Well, that’s interesting. A neural engine that upscales textures preserving original look, but enhancing details: https://github.com/xinntao/ESRGAN

And mod for Morrowind: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46221

Can anyone dig on this? This might be a Holy Grail for Thief replaced textures in HD mod that look less original than they should.

Quote Originally Posted by vorob View Post
    Well, that’s interesting. A neural engine that upscales textures preserving original look, but enhancing details: https://github.com/xinntao/ESRGAN

And mod for Morrowind: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46221

Can anyone dig on this? This might be a Holy Grail for Thief replaced textures in HD mod that look less original than they should.
    Funny because I spent half of this day with 'ESRGAN'. I saw an article on a german PC games site. This morning I started to download all the tools you need.

I've converted some textures from TG (ancient-lostcty). I will upload the rest tomorrow.

I used three different methods:

RRDB_ESRGAN_x4
    RRDB_PSNR_x4
    interp_08.pth (Network interpolation demo)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k_...cKjgdUT4xBjRET

Some results are impressive...others are disappointing.

And i don't know why but it doesn't convert all textures. The program skip some textures.
    Last edited by Gecko; 20th Dec 2018 at 11:47.

Nice to have your attention

Just tried to unpack some files from, but look like I'm not understanding how to work with it:
    Before https://pp.userapi.com/c848520/v8485...5ukL_Aa3Z0.jpg
    After https://pp.userapi.com/c848520/v8485...LCBKK0lBGM.jpg

I don't know if this has been answered and I have looked around in the forum and found nothing soo far but, is there a way for the HD water textures to take priority over custom FM water textures. The problem I get with some FMs is that in game, the water textures keep changing between the HD and FM custom water texture.

Zombified
    should be fixable by writing a mtl file (for both waters, most likely) that will specify the number of frames.

The HD water has an mtl file:

force_ani_settings 1
    ani_rate 73
    terrain_scale 512 256
    ani_frames 99

You can try the 'uber_mod_path' in the 'cam_mod.ini'

You can create your own folder with the HD water and use it as 'uber_mod_path' what is maybe the best solution...

For example create a new folder called 'HDWATER' directly in your T2 main directory -> create a folder called 'fam' inside and copy the folder 'waterhw' from 'HDMOD\fam\waterhw' to the new folder -> HDWATER\fam\

The uber_mod_path should look like this now:

; these are mod paths that override the active FM in the search order
    uber_mod_path usermods+hdwater+hdwater\t2skies+patches
    Last edited by Gecko; 31st Dec 2018 at 05:22.

Any idea what's going on here:

HD: https://youtu.be/NvsOOagHWNI
    Vanilla: https://youtu.be/TgEtbj8lXmM

Case solved. I used saves from vanilla version.

Zombified
    is anyone else getting that previously reported issue with candlesticks turning into torches? I don't really want to dive in if this is a single user problem.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    is anyone else getting that previously reported issue with candlesticks turning into torches? I don't really want to dive in if this is a single user problem.
    I remember having that issue long ago in Thief The Dark Project in Undercover in one of the rooms just below the ground floor as you enter the cathedral. Well, actually the only room with a candlestick there.
    I think it had something to do with gen.osm or miss10.osm carried over from Thief Gold to Thief The Dark Project.

https://pp.userapi.com/c847218/v8472...zBmkqPsQno.jpg

Guys, what's wrong with lightning here? Why details are completely blown away like I'm watching it thought cheap low dynamic range camera?

Quote Originally Posted by vorob View Post
    https://pp.userapi.com/c847218/v8472...zBmkqPsQno.jpg

Guys, what's wrong with lightning here? Why details are completely blown away like I'm watching it thought cheap low dynamic range camera?

Example: Post-processing -> Config 2 - full color (NewDarkGraphicsSettings.exe)

It's because Post-processing + Bloom is set to on. White textures in combination with lights = extremely bright.

You can try 'Config 3 - full color' (NewDarkGraphicsSettings.exe).

How do I turn off the subtitles?

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Open cam_ext.cfg, edit this line like this

;enable_subtitles

btw, bloom is enabled by default in this version
    to disable bloom

;postprocess 1

Quote Originally Posted by anlat View Post
    How do I turn off the subtitles?
    Please use the NewDark-Tool. You will find there all options you need. Don't do it manually. The tool may not work correctly after that...

I managed to install ESRGAN too.
    Did you tried to resize textures with Manga109 model? It's a much improved model and it gets much better results compared to default ones.

I can try to make Thief Gold texture pack using ESRGAN, but it takes time.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast