TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Dromed Video Tutorial Series

On the 3th lesson i learned how to set flying mode in game however i can“t toggle its physics (No clip) in order to acroos walls and objects. doesn“t anyone has also this problem? its alt+p right?

I just found this thread and watched the first half of the first video. Good that someone finally got around to doing this.

Ditto with what nicked says. I learned to place the floor at 0, 16, 32, etc. Grid at 16. Do the basic carving and then jack the snap down to 13 for doorways, windows, etc. Go lower for the finer details.

If you start with 12, you're going to be off by 12, 24, 36, or 48 units on 2 axes. Your texture will then have to be shifted around to get it lined up. Then, you'll end up having to repeat that irritating process for the rest of the boxes.

My 2 cents worth.

nicked & Ricebug: Thanks, those are good points. I kinda forgot to think of that when I made the tutorial as I wanted to show Dromed's flexibility above all. But I'll be sure to mention it next time and explain how it works

cardia: That's odd how some of the hotkeys don't work for you, could you try typing "physics" in the command box while in game and see what happens? That command should toggle them (it does it for me).

Quote Originally Posted by Dale_ View Post
    nicked & Ricebug: Thanks, those are good points. I kinda forgot to think of that when I made the tutorial as I wanted to show Dromed's flexibility above all. But I'll be sure to mention it next time and explain how it works

cardia: That's odd how some of the hotkeys don't work for you, could you try typing "physics" in the command box while in game and see what happens? That command should toggle them (it does it for me).
    how can i bring the command box in game mode?

Quote Originally Posted by cardia1 View Post
    how can i bring the command box in game mode?
    Ctrl+P should do it.

ctrl-shift-;

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    ctrl-shift-;
    hmmm, doesn“t work for me

Open up your "Default.bnd" file and search for either "history_cmd" or "edit_command". Whatever those two commands are bound to, that's what you use to bring up the command console in game-mode. Personally, I have them bound to "Ctrl+P" and ':', respectively.

Ctrl+P should do it.
    yes it works that way, so that“s the command box , i entered physics and it worked, it seems its easier to fly trough objects than solid brushes.

Thank you Dale, i“m looking forward for your next tuturial video

Well, here it is

Dromed video tutorial episode 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K20RPHkSFxw
    - this one covers working with objects, object hierarchy, gamesys and custom objects.

Master Builder 2018
    I've added the link to the tutorials thread entry.

Dromed video tutorial episode 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vi3m2B5WU
    - this one covers custom textures both seamless and non-seamless. I also find out I can no longer crash Dromed
    Last edited by Dale_; 17th Oct 2014 at 23:01.

Master Builder 2018
    Nice work! I'll add it to the tutorial entry.

I did notice one thing. Many times while you were talking about resizing the textures, you said 124 when you meant 1024. I think most people will understand what you meant but thought you should be aware of it.

Thanks, yes, that's a good point. I guess it's just a lazy habit, I'll be careful next time

Honestly, I think you should do more than be aware of it and avoid it in the future. You should fix it. Some people will be confused and it will devalue the good work that you have done to have those kind of misleading errors in the tutorials.

Okay, fixed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vi3m2B5WU

Tannar, could you pls update the link if you already added it to the tutorials? It's basically a reuploaded video where I voiced over those 124s

Thanks!

Master Builder 2018
    Done.

This also gives me an idea, would anyone with a lot of Dromed experience here be willing to beta test my videos? Basically watch them before they're made public to make sure there aren't any errors or inaccuracies? Especially as I go deeper into Dromeding, that would be really useful

Your're typing al lot of stuff into the command box. Sometimes there are shortcuts for the commands in the default.bnd in the menu.cfg. You need to install the DromEd-Toolkit, anyway.

For example
    Show_bad_rooms is in the menu

If I want to find something in the object hierarchy, I press F5 and type
    *statue (an expample)
    into the box.

NewDark 64³ Contest Winner
    This also gives me an idea, would anyone with a lot of Dromed experience here be willing to beta test my videos? Basically watch them before they're made public to make sure there aren't any errors or inaccuracies? Especially as I go deeper into Dromeding, that would be really useful
    I would, but I don't know if I have the mastery you seek.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
    I would, but I don't know if I have the mastery you seek.
    Xorak

You seem legit sir
    I'll PM you the link when I upload my next video. Thx!

Dromed video tutorial episode 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxz3o_pZSkE
    - this one covers:
    :00 Importing and assigning a higher resolution texture to a brush
    3:45-7:00 Creating a doorway with multiple brushes, so the textures can be aligned two directions

All these are related to various techniques to adding beams to the room:
    7:00-10:00 Making beams using airbrushes rather than solid brushes
    10:00-16:00 Finish texturing beams and aligning textures
    16:00- 22:00 Making angled beams using wedges
    22:00-24:30 Making beams using solid brushes
    24:30 Fixing any issues by adjusting the TIME property
    26:00 Metaproperty introduction
    30:15 Reskinnable object introduction

Dromed video tutorial episode 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze1xv1JfmWY
    - episode 7 covers:
    0:50 A simple way to copy and paste properties from one object to another
    2:30 Using mtl files to further adjust textures on objects
    5:00-8:30 Rotating and using objects to create nice architectural finishes
    12:00 Adding the first torch to the level and adjusting its various light properties and lighting the level
    18:30 Adjusting the ambient light of a mission
    Last edited by Dale_; 25th Oct 2014 at 16:04.

Hi Dale, i was wondering if you could do a tutorial on how to make a spiral staircase, i“m still finding hard to build such thing.

Spiral stairs can be tricky. You have to limit yourself to step rotations that DromEd likes for best results, whether you are carving air from solid or placing solid into air. Try to have the step height no greater than 0.75 ratio. And allow for your steps to be wider than you think is necessary, because the closer you are to the axis of the stairs the less they can be walked upon.

This is a top view of a modern spiral stair building code minimum distance. Assume that 1 DromEd unit = 12 inches and you won't be far wrong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	code_visualint_lg.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	2062

What is most hard, I think, is room brushing it when you are done. In fact, a tutorial on just how best to room brush non-cubic shaped areas would be very useful, I think.

When I build a spiral stair here's what I follow. It's so easy you'll wonder why you ever had any difficulty at all in doing it.

You start with a wedge, half as long as the cylinder is wide and make it sure it is centered like below. So if the column is 14 units across, each wedge will be 7 units long. The width of the step doesn't matter too much. I used a W of 4 to create a nice angle, but a 5 also works in this case. If you use a 3 there will probably be gaps between each step, which is something you might want in some cases.

Then all you do is rotate the wedge 22.5 degrees and align it so that one end matches the end of the one in place, and the wider end goes beyond the outer wall of the cylinder. And you keep building these steps.

The beauty of this, is that you can first place these four wedges like this, and it will eventually all align, nicely even and perfect:

Then just continue to fill in the steps. I did the first series of steps. This should work on any size cylinder, it will only require more intermediary steps for each series.

And imperfections that exist where all the points of the wedges meet up in the middle, you can place a beam running the height of the cylinder and hide them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast