TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief Gold/2/System Shock 2 in VR on Oculus Rift DK2

Thief Gold/2/System Shock 2 in VR on Oculus Rift DK2

So I lurk here a lot and I didn't see alot of instructions for this so I figured, since i couldnt find anybody else that had done this I would post some quick instructions that I figured out on how to get this to work. I played through the first two missions of Thief Gold, the first level of Thief 2, and about an hour of system shock 2 with only small problems.

Things you'll need.

Vireio Perception Nightly v2.06
    Oculus Rift (dk1 or dk2[Extended Mode])
    Thief Gold/2/System shock 2 patched up DX9 Patch

Okay, so it's actually pretty easy.

Download Vireio Perception (referenced as VP in the rest of this doc)
    http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?opti...atid=20&cid=49

Download Oculus SDK 0.4.3 beta
    [Make an oculus vr account and download it]
    If you are using a DK2, you MUST put it into extended mode, which you can access using the rift's configuration panel. EDIT: Also disable Oculus Rift DK1 Compatibility.

Patch up your copy of Thief/SS2

Extract your copy of VP to some place convenient.
    Go into your VP/Bin folder and copy these files:
    d3d9.dll
    hijackdll.dll
    libfreespace.dll
    vrboost.dll
    into your Thief/ss2 directory.

Run the perception executable from the VP/bin directory. This will actually turn on the VP drivers and get this whole shindig running. Leave it running in the background.

Go into your Thief/SS2 directory, open up cam_ext.cfg file with notepad, and edit the FOV to 110 (100 for DK2). Save it. (I might have this wrong, but it seemed to work for me, so please inform me if there is a better way of adjusting the FOV)

Now run Thief or SS2, it should load up on the rift, with some green text on the screen. Most of it is inconsequential for what you're doing, but a few tips.

MANDATORY!!
    Go into the BRASSA MENU (CTRL-Q in Game) and scroll down to Force emulate mouse, and turn it to TRUE.

Less mandatory
    Most everything is fine in the rift, Rolling your head (least on a dk2) has so far not worked for me, but everything else seems fine. So don't tilt you're head left and right. I have tried adjusting the roll settings in the BRASSA Menu and it just doesnt work, if you can get it working please let me know, and I'll update this.

If the perspective seems off, hit CTRL-Q, this will load up the BRASSA MENU. Go down using the arrow keys, to other options, and adjust distortion using the arrow keys and enter

Go into Other options and also scroll all the way down and bind a convenient button to disconnected screen. This will "push" the game window farther away from you while in VR and allow you to look at menu's in the screen, things in the corner (like weapons/items in thief) and allow you to access other things easier without going crosseyed. Kind of like having a virtual monitor inside of the game. This is an absolute must if you plan on playing system shock 2 without giving yourself a headache.

It's pretty easy to play and it makes thief look amazing, so try it out guys, and have fun.

Rave
    Last edited by Ravenx444; 7th Nov 2014 at 17:02.

Thanks very much for that. I've added the thread to the Technical Section of the Essential Reading thread so it's easy to find in the future.

Might want to add a little more explanation as to what this is all about because I've got no idea what we're talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    Might want to add a little more explanation as to what this is all about because I've got no idea what we're talking about here.
    Playing Thief 1+2 and System shock 2 with a virtual reality device! That means you can experience the games like you are GARRETT

I'm having trouble getting this to work with Thief Gold. It keeps launching on my monitor instead of in the Rift. I see the two distorted views and head tracking works. I have an extension installed that's supposed to launch something on adapter 1 instead, but that doesn't help. When I made my Rift the Primary monitor and then launched Thief Gold, it didn't display anywhere (though it was running).

I'm having other minor issues that don't matter until I get the big one fixed, but:

Sometimes when I launch, the mouse cursor wants to stay in the upper left no matter how I tilt the Rift or move the mouse. Other times, it's fine and can be controlled with either the Rift or the mouse. I don't know what causes the difference.

Edit: Oh hey, I guess I only have the issue with the mouse when I use the extension to launch on adapter 1. Edit again: Never mind, it's not consistent.

Also, Ctrl-Q isn't doing anything.

Edit for an update:
    I was able to get the game on the Rift by enabling Windowed mode in cam_ext.cfg and making the Rift the primary monitor. Turning my head makes things turn way faster in the game. Is that what the Brassa menu option is supposed to fix? I see a flickering yellow rectangle across the screen when I try to open the Brassa menu. I assume it's for selecting things in the menu or something, but it's all that I see.
    The FOV is kind of strange, too. I think the game is still showing in widescreen mode, so it's letter-boxed in my view.
    Last edited by Weasel; 7th Nov 2014 at 12:38.

1. DK1 or DK2? If DK1, make the resolution of the rift to 1280x800.
    2. IF DK2? Do you have force oculus dk1 compatbility turned on?
    3. The brassa menu allows you to edit the drivers forced integration, so things like warping and stuff like that. I found I had to turn the mouse sensitivity in game to almost nothing to get it to feel comfortable on the rift. If you can't see the brassa menu, try adjusting the resolution of the game, i found that helped sometimes to get the thing to display, or copy the .dll files from the vp/bin folder back into thief and overwrite them. The brassa menu isn't entirely required for a game like Thief, but for system shock 2, it is a must, since it's what you use to bind the disconnect screen key on your keyboard. I myself am currently having problems with my copy of SS2, since for some reason the brassa menu has decided to split an individual image onto each eye, so i'm lucky in that I already bound my keys etc in BRASSA before, when it was working.

I'll post more info as I discover it, but so far my copy of thief gold/2 still work very well, and ss2 does as well as I don't need brassa.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenx444 View Post
    1. DK1 or DK2? If DK1, make the resolution of the rift to 1280x800.
    2. IF DK2? Do you have force oculus dk1 compatbility turned on?
    3. The brassa menu allows you to edit the drivers forced integration, so things like warping and stuff like that. I found I had to turn the mouse sensitivity in game to almost nothing to get it to feel comfortable on the rift. If you can't see the brassa menu, try adjusting the resolution of the game, i found that helped sometimes to get the thing to display, or copy the .dll files from the vp/bin folder back into thief and overwrite them. The brassa menu isn't entirely required for a game like Thief, but for system shock 2, it is a must, since it's what you use to bind the disconnect screen key on your keyboard. I myself am currently having problems with my copy of SS2, since for some reason the brassa menu has decided to split an individual image onto each eye, so i'm lucky in that I already bound my keys etc in BRASSA before, when it was working.

I'll post more info as I discover it, but so far my copy of thief gold/2 still work very well, and ss2 does as well as I don't need brassa.
    I have a DK2. I'm not sure what "force oculus dk1 compatbility" is. Is that a setting in VP?

It's a setting in the oculus configuration manager under rift display mode. Make sure it is off. If you don't see the option, you need to update your rift.

Video of this?

Quote Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
    Video of this?
    I can put up something, I was planning on doing a let's play of a rift game here soon, so I'll put it on my channel and post it in the next day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenx444 View Post
    It's a setting in the oculus configuration manager under rift display mode. Make sure it is off. If you don't see the option, you need to update your rift.
    I thought that might be what you meant. I do have it turned off. It sounds like it's not meant to have any effect for a DK2 anyway.

Oh crap, I was waiting for something like this back when I first got my DK2... unfortunately I've gotten severe motion sickness in a lot of VR games so I don't really feel like trying another at least not until I can try it using one of those ridicu-huge walk-in-place-motion-detection device thingies, or some other thing that reduces the motion-disconnect between real and virtual.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I tried some games via Vireio Perception on my DK1 half a year ago, but found it didn't work nearly as well as games with native Rift support. Even tried getting Thief 2 going with it without any success. Will try this out tonight, hopefully the Vireio app has come along since my experiments with it.

Thanks for this info. I've been messing with Vorpx & Thief and haven't had any luck. Also, VR sickness is a drag, because Half-Life 2 is cool using the Rift. Until the nausea sets in.

There are two ways of implementing VR headsets: (As far as I see it)

1. VR headset now functions as a mouse, the crosshair is always where your looking at or in other words "your aiming with your view"
    2. VR headset extends the mouse. The view is not locked to aiming, meaning that if you're aiming for an object with your mouse and you then turn your head left, you're still aiming at the same object, you're just not looking at it.

IMO, option 1 is bad. Since for example you cant look behind you while you run. What does the solution explained in this thread achieve?
    Do we have support for option 2? Is it possible to add that support?
    Last edited by neux; 6th Jan 2018 at 18:30.