TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin

El Shagmeister
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    No, we are fine. I understand your way of thinking. I just wanted to explain my preferences too. We're not having a fight here, we're just discussing the different approaches to the game. And the amazing thing is that we both still enjoy playing the same game(s).
    <3

I do believe people can have a lively discussion about something, even on the Internet, without devolving into arguing and name calling. At the end of the day, I appreciate that you -do- enjoy the DS games in your own way.

I'm not burned out on DS games. I got a job almost 1.5 years ago. And since then I hardly have time to play games.
    Sorry, I probably misspoke, I meant to say that WoW and such games probably burned you out of TEH HARDCOREZ CHALLENGE by the time you arrived to DS (or even way before that game). And yeah, I can understand that with a job (or anything that drains time/energy) gaming for many can become an activity of leisure and will resent something that they consider too challenging. Fair point.

That was a good decision, because I really enjoyed playing DS2.
    I certainly enjoyed it too, despite my grumblings about the bosses (and other stuff). Just because it's my lowest ranking DS game doesn't mean it's a bad game. Quite the contrary. Still a far better game than most out there. <3 And the expansions really made it shine (for me at least)! Though two of the optional bosses (and the way to them) can fuck off a cliff with a rock tied to their genitals.

I don't know why I am posting my thoughts here. Maybe so I can read them back years from now. Or to make this forum appear a bit more lively than it is. Or because sometimes, after work, and I can't play, I'm still thinking about DS. Haven't had that since my days of WoW.
    One awesome thing about the Soulsborne games, and I believe this is something Sulphur and a few others have mentioned before, is how they ellicit discussions like few games have. Like when we were younger and didn't have the Internet, just each other (i.e. friends, classmates, etc) to talk about and discuss the game to try and solve it and gush about it. Awesome times.

I doubt I'll ever play Demon Souls or Bloodborne. Unless From brings those games to PC.
    They'll never come to PC officially, but Demon's Souls already runs on emulator. Give it a year or two and it'll be playable just fine.

El Shagmeister
    Man, I really wish Sony would lose its stranglehold over Bloodborne. That's one game that deserves to see life beyond the PS4. In my humble opinion it has the best expansion of the Soulsborne games. Plus the main game shakes up the formula enough with the core formula and world setting to make it new and exciting again

Southquarter.com/fms
    I have returneth to DS2...it got put by the wayside when Breath of the Wild came out. I took me a good hour to get used to everything again, but now it's fitting like an old shoe. And I felt pretty good about the fact that I beat my first boss in months on my first try (the Skeleton trio, under the waterfall, Huntsman's Copse). It actually seemed too easy (I'm guessing this is one of the easier bosses in the game). Now if only I could beat the triplets in The Bastille.

I cheated a bit a looked at a world map, and I noticed that on just about every branch from Majula, I'm about one area away from a Great Soul. So it's looking like pure pain ahead. Time to throw down.

So I finally picked up this game as it was on sale in the Playstation shop. The beginning felt rather difficult to me (I've played DS1 and DS3 a lot), but after that it felt manageable. I'm still trying to find a way to "produce the sign of the King" or something like that, and am currently stuck on the Fume Knight. I really like the fight, but after 50 or so human effigies, I can't seem to make any progress on killing him. The lowest I've gotten him was something like 15% health bar. I can see a lot of other players ghosts and messages and bloodstains, but curiously no signs, nor am I getting summed when I put my own sign down.

Would love to hear any tips & tricks you might have on this boss.

The game feels a bit like it was made with quantity over quality -mentality compared to the other games.

The Fume Knight is in an area that was DLC and is meant to be endgame content IMO. You can beat it early of course, and get useful items there. Maybe that's why you don't see signs, you're there early compared to most players, although I don't think the game is very active anymore.

LittleFlower
    By coincidence I started my 2nd character (and 2nd play-through) about 1.5 weeks ago. Yesterday I lit my 4th primal bonfire. I fought the Old Iron King last. Right after that fight, you are persuaded to enter the Brume Tower. So I understand how you ended up there.

The game seems quite lively. Lots of messages on the ground. Lots of white shades you see walking around. At least in the earlier parts of the game. I can see how there would be fewer players in the Brume Tower. Also, as Malleus said, by the time you reach endgame bosses, the Soul levels and Soul Memory levels would be so far apart between players, there will be fewer summons and invasions available. I hardly see player's summon signs though. BTW, Fume is supposed to be easier without NPC summons. Also, I think most players that make it that far see Fume as a challenge, and thus don't want to summon players. Maybe that explains the lack of coop ?

FYI, the Fume knight is the only boss in the Dark Souls games that I have not managed to beat. At all. I've beat every boss in DS1 solo (many times). I've beat every boss in DS3 solo, except Friede. I've beat Friede 2 or 3 times, but only with help of Gael. I just can't do phase-3 solo, she gets me every time. On my 2nd or 3rd playthrough in DS3, I decided to do a few levels of NG+. I think I one-shot the Nameless King in NG+ and NG++ to my surprise. But I can't do Friede solo. And I can't do Fume Knight. I think that's because my play-style is to always play with shield. In the Friede and Fume fights, the shields are as good as useless. Fume does physical damage, fire damage and dark damage. No shield can deal with that. So you need constant healing. And the Fume Knight punishes you for healing. Maybe some day .....

About "produce the sign of the King". Note that the Fire Keeper tells you to "seek the King". So to get the sign of the King, you need to get to the King first. So to get to the King, it's unlikely you already have his sign. So you need to find ahother way to get to the King (and his castle) first. (Light spoiler: You can get to Drangleic Castle via the Shaded Woods. There are only 3 paths from the Ruined Fork Road bonfire. So check them again, all three). If you need more light hints about something, let us know.

Thanks guys for the hints. I've since made progress elsewhere in the game, found whole new area and boss. I think I won't be able to dish out any more damage since my weapon is maxed out, as is my DEX, so I guess Fume Knight will remain an unbeatable boss for me, too. Ah well, first time for everything.

DS2 is probably the most forgiving like that compared with DS3 at least, given its many smaller bosses and varied locations that allow you to level up more steadily in tune with the rest of the game.

LittleFlower
    Not sure DS2 is so forgiving.

I enjoyed the base game during my first run. And I'm enjoying it again. The game is huge. It looks quite good. I have a 2560x1080 monitor, but the game doesn't support ultra-wide screen. So I am using nVidia's DSR feature (at 4x). So the game is rendered in 4k, but displayed in 1080p. Like 4xSSAA. It still runs at 60fps constantly. Because the framerate is constant, I've also turned on ULMB. The result is pretty sweet, if I may say so.

But I'm not sure I like the DLCs. I think I might be alone in this. I like the base game. So many areas to roam, so much to explore. Some areas are easier, some are harder. If you know what you're doing (e.g. a 2nd run) the game is quite a bit easier than when you go in blind. Also, getting the right build, weapons, upgrades all help to beat the base game. It's an acceptable challenge for an old man like myself, playing with trackball and joystick.

But the DLCs are different.
    The "gank squad" isn't called the gank squad for no reason. I have never seen anyone online that liked those bosses. It seems everyone cheeses them. The mobs (esp the red statues) in front of them (cave of the dead) are certainly no fun either. (I did beat them in my 1st playthrough. Not gonna try again in my 2nd playthrough). Everyone knows that the run to Blue Smelter demon is bullshit. You either learn to run through them, or you kill all the mobs 12x so you can walk up to the boss. (Blue Smelter demon itself is a reasonable fight. I did not have much trouble beating him). I said that Fume Knight is the only boss in DS games that I hadn't killed ? That was not true. It's the only boss I have fought many times, and could not kill. I also couldn't kill the Burned Ivory King. Summoning 1 NPC, or all NPCs, it didn't matter. Without NPCs I get ganked after a while. With NPCs, they all seem to die in the last phase.

So Fume Knight was impossible for me. And thus I have never been able to see Sir Allone.
    And let's not talk about Horse Fuck Valley. I did fight Lud & Zallen once or twice. But no way I'm gonna keep going through that area again. Just not fun.
    And yesterday I decided to try Darklurker. First you have to get through the 3 areas of the Dark Chasm of Old. After half an hour it was obvious: fuck the darklurker. I'm not gonna do that.

I like RPGs where the result of the game depends on the "skills" that my character has acquired. Talents, spells, armor, weapons. And the knowledge I gained (locations, enemy positions, strategies, etc). I don't like RPGs where the result of the game depends mainly on my own "skills". Precision with the mouse and reflexes (those 2 things alone). It was one of the reasons I stopped playing FPSes (I started with HL1, UT99, etc). Many games (like e.g. WoW) have changed slowly from true RPGs to action games where you handiness using your mouse determines the outcome. I understand why studios do that: to prolong the longevity of their games, esp for the top-tier players. But for the regular guys, like myself, this might not always be the most fun. I want to beat the full game. Remember: games are made to be beaten. Not made so hard that half the playerbase can't play them. Luckily it's only 7 bosses. That's acceptable. But even if it's acceptable, it's not fun.

The Cave Of The Dead, the Iron Passage and the Frigid Outskirts were meant to be bonus/challenge areas, and were mainly designed for co-op (when the DLCs came out, you could summon into these areas people who didn't have the DLC). The rewards for beating the bosses there aren't huge either. So basically skipping them isn't a big deal, don't worry about it.

The Fume Knight however. You should all learn him and beat him. It's not easy, I know, took me the longest to learn of all bosses probably but it's worth it. In the end it's just about knowing how to dodge and punish his attacks. The only tip I can think about is to not stay too close to him in the second phase, because his AOE attack might get you. Also, never over use your stamina, always have at least third of it, just in case you need to roll. For inspiration, here's a video of me taking out this boss, where I make both mistakes I mention at least once.

Moderator and Priest
    The first time I fought Fume Knight, it had to take me at least 50 tries to kill him. He's easily the hardest boss of the whole series, testing not only my skill, but the absolute limits of my patience. I'm honestly surprised I didn't end up breaking my controller throughout the whole ordeal.

Even when I came back to the game later, completely attuned to DS3's faster speed, and with fingers sporting defter DS skills, he still managed to take 7-8 tries to beat.

The good news is that he does have a pattern that can be learned, and he widely broadcasts all of his attacks. The downside is that he smacks so hard, you have practically no margin for error. I greatly suggest using quick hitting weapons against him. Even if you're only nickel and dimeing him, you're able to react to what he does as he does it without having to worry about getting caught off guard mid-swing.

And here's my video. I may not be quite as skilled as Malleus, but I offer more edge of your seat excitement.

Yeah, that boss can screw himself, I'm too old for this shit. I'm sure I could beat him, but it seems like a waste of time, frankly.

I thought even the first game's DLC went overboard with Manus and Kalameet. The way I see it, the point of Dark Souls was never to induce controller-snapping frustration, but to have enjoyable challenge throughout the game. The DLC of the first game, however, broke the game for me, as it made everything after that far too easy.

LittleFlower
    I'm too old for this shit too.
    And maybe I have finally reached the limit of what is doable with my setup (trackball and joystick).
    DS2 feels a little less responsive than DS3 or even DS1 anyway. I've learned to adapt a bit. But maybe Raime is just too much.

The biggest problem is that my whole playstyle is to use a shield. Always. Every boss. I even beat the Nameless King with a shield. I can also beat Manus reliably with a shield (Artorias Greatshield). Kalameet is harder, but I still manage with my shield. Rolling is maybe more efficient in general, but for any boss I've encountered so far, I can do well with my shield. Even if I dodge a lot, I still need my shield because I make so many mistakes, I won't have enough Estus to recover from all those hits. With a shield, even if you get hit, it's not so painful. You might call me skill-less. But I think using a shield just requires a different kind of skill. (Mostly managing your stamina the right way. When to lower and when to raise you shield. When to back off. And when you absolutely need to roll). Worked great so far. I'm not gonna change my playstyle 100% just because of the Fume Knight.

After writing my previous post, I got an idea. So far I have hardly respecced in DS games. This time I did it twice, because I needed 20int/20faith to get an NPC to give me something. That made me think. I can prepare better for the Fume Knight. Get build with 45 str, so I can use Havel's Shield. Even with Havel's shield, 20% fire and 25% dark damage gets through. So I need gear with high fire and dark resistance. Maybe rings too. I need high stability. So maybe heavy boots/gloves plus Black Witch dress. (I'm using the BW veil+5 and dress+5 as default anyway). That'll make it so that if Raime hits me, I hardly take damage. I just have to make sure I have high stability.

I like this way of playing better. Try to prepare myself for fights and areas. In stead of just depending on my "mad skillz". I'll let you know if I ever get to try this. And if I'll succeed.

But regardless of the Fume Knight, I don't see myself doing the Dark Lurker.

Question: what kind of build and gear are you both using ?

I've done some math, and my conclusion is that increasing strength and/or dex to increase damage is not worth it.
    It's better to keep str and dex at a minimum required to carry your favorite weapons and shield.
    And then make your weapons raw.
    Do you guys do that too ? Or do you not infuse your weapon, and increase str/dex ?

What is your agility/adaptibility ? I got mine at 105.
    Maybe 99 is good too, but I like to have longer time to roll.
    I'm gonna keep it at 105 if I change my build for Raime.

What rings do you use ?
    Chloranty Ring is a no-brainer for me.
    Maybe I should start using the Third Dragon Ring too.
    I like Ring of Giants (+stability).
    I think Ring of Blades is not worth it. (I've used it a lot while clearing areas. But e.g. the Dragon Ring is probably a lot better).
    I'm wondering if, when I use a shield, I should start using the Baneful Bird Ring (less stamina less when blocking).
    I'd like to wear the Fire and Dark Quartz rings too, but I just don't have slots enough.

I assume you max out endurance (40).
    And keep vigor around 20 or so ? Or max it out to 40 too ?
    Do you keep vitality so low that you just stay under 70% ?
    Or do you increase vitality more (50% or so), so your rolls cover more distance ?
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 7th Nov 2018 at 16:43.

DS2 is my least played Souls game, but the last time I played, I went with a quality build at first and then pumped strength, IIRC. I think I had around 100 for agility, so a bit of attunement and a bunch of adaptability. Probably would have liked 105 better. The rest went into vigor, endurance, and vitality. For a weapon I used the biggest sword that looks like a slab of metal (Ultra Greatsword?). No shield, pure dodge. Kept equip load low for stamina regen, so some kind of robes, probably. Cloranthy Ring is a must, of course. Other than that, Ring of Giants, Royal Soldier's Ring, Flynn's Ring, probably a couple of others to switch in as needed. Among them, Dragon Ring, most likely.
    Last edited by Starker; 7th Nov 2018 at 18:34.

Moderator and Priest
    I almost always go with a 40 str/dex split character, 40 endurance, and I'll dump points into vitality as I see fit, ignoring all the magic building stats. In DS2, I'll dump a bunch of points into adaptability for all the little extra bonuses it grants. Armorwise, I go for lighter equipment, eventually opting for medium weight stuff once I gain access to Havel's Ring. Basically, I try to get as much defense as possible while still keep myself lithe enough for quick rolls.

Speaking of rolling, I rely on it over shields primarily, though I usually keep one equipped, usually the Twin Dragon Greatshield, just to have it around. Some monsters are situations are just easier to deal with using a shield.

Rings? I keep it pretty simple, always going for things that grant bonuses to attack and defense, or give me vitality or stamina boosts (Ring of Blades, the Dragon Rings, Havel's, Royal Soldiers, Steel Protection, etc.). Strangely enough, I don't use the Chloranthy Ring all that often. In DS3, I'll use that one ring that grants you extra invincibility frames during rolls the moment I get my hands on it.

Weapons and armor upgrades? I go simple for it, doing the usual upgrades without any conversions or infusions. Every once in awhile I'll convert something to raw or Dark to deal with specific circumstances, but more often than not, my primary weapons are just titanite upgrades.

LittleFlower
    I did some experimenting when using a soul vessel to reset my stats. (I keep backups of my savefiles, so I can mess around as much as I want, and always go back to an older state). This playthrough I am using the simple mace. When made raw, its damage is 310-320. Strength does a *little* bit of scaling, but not much. When I use an uninfused mace, at 16/16 (str/dex) damage is 323, at 20/25 dmg is 333, 25/40 is 346, 40/25 is 381 and at 40/40 the damage is 386.

So early on, making the mace raw allowed me to keep my str/dex at low numbers, investing my points in endurance, adaptability, etc. I now have 20/16 (20 str so I can wear havel, and 16 dex so I can use the lightning uchigatana. Mmmm, I just realized that already it is probably better to un-infuse my mace. For Fume Knight I was planning to doing 45 str, so I can use Havel's Greatshield. Then I definitely should use the mace uninfused.

I see nothing special about the Twin Dragon Greatshield. It doesn't even have 100% physical block ? Even stability sn't that great (73, vs e.g. 63 of the 100% block Drangleic shield). My guess is that using a TDG is one of your habits from long ago ? (There was a thread about that on GenGaming recently. ) Anyway, thanks for the explanations.

Oh, Starker. You might want to read about the Flynn ring. It does improve your damage when you have a low weight percentage. It improve your damage when you have a low maximum weight ! In other words, you need to keep your vitality itself low !! Very surprising, I think it is easy to miss that, and use Flynn's without any effect (or maybe even a negative effect).

LittleFlower
    Mmm, I just tried Fume Knight with my special setup.

45 strength, 40 endurance, enough vitality to stay under 70% (36 vit), 32 in adaptability (to get agility to 105), the rest into vigor (26).
    Keep the minimum 6 in dex, attunement, int, faith.

Uninfused mace
    Havel's greatshield
    Warlock's mask (for the dark resistance)
    Black Witch Dress (for dark and fire resistance, and I had it at +5 already)
    Havel's Gauntlets (for stability)
    Captain Allone's Leggings (for fire resistance, and I had it at +10 already)
    Ring of Blades+1 (+35 damage)
    Chloranty Ring (stamina regen)
    Ring to improve stability (Giants)
    Ring so that you lose less stamina when blocking (Bird)

I got Fume Knight at ~30% at my first try.
    He couldn't hit me through my shield in the first phase ! Very easy.
    In the 2nd phase, hits did take off some of my health, but very little.
    My setup seems to work.
    Of course I had to get used to his attacks.
    The backwards hits in p1, and the slow 270 degree swing in p2 got me a few times.
    And then he jumped at me when I was healing. (My 3rd sip or so in the whole fight).

This looks doable !
    I'm gonna be the first gamer in the world who defeats Fume Knight while using a shield !
    Whoohoo !

Probably that's why I went with minimal armour -- couldn't afford anything bulkier with low max weight.

Moderator and Priest
    I see nothing special about the Twin Dragon Greatshield. It doesn't even have 100% physical block ? Even stability sn't that great (73, vs e.g. 63 of the 100% block Drangleic shield). My guess is that using a TDG is one of your habits from long ago ? (There was a thread about that on GenGaming recently. ) Anyway, thanks for the explanations.
    The TDG is good only in the sense that it's a decent happy medium. For direct physical defense, it's generally all around better than most of the smaller shields while still being lighter than the rest of the greatshields. It's good for what I use it for, which are blocking hits from enemies that are quicker to deal with directly, rather than rolling around them, and to stop projectiles.

Gryz, can't you record gameplay? I'd watch that The reason it took me so long to learn Fume is because I'm very much a shield user myself, and that didn't work against that boss. On my first playthrough I summoned people to beat him, and for a long time I considered him a total bullshit boss. but I ended up playing this game so much I eventually learned him.

LittleFlower
    I've been thinking about recording some stuff in the past. But I just can't be bothered to figure out how to do it.
    I'm sure I have the hardware to do it without having an impact on my fps. (gtx1080, running at 4k, could make it 1080p if necessary, 16 GB ram, i5-3570K, lots of space left on SSDs).

What software do you recommend to use ? The Shadowplay feature of nVidia's tools (now called nVidia Share, I see) ? Something else ? I always only install the nVidia videodrivers (and physX). And not all the other junk nVidia offers. I'm a little afraid that if I install Shadowplay, I also get all the crap from nVidia that messes with my game settings (Geforce Experience). This page seems to suggest you need to install the full Geforce Experience package to get Shadowplay. Is OBS any good, not too complicated, not intrusive ? Any other free options ?
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 9th Nov 2018 at 11:40.

I found Shadowplay to be quite unreliable both in functionality and in quality. I use OBS, IMO it's good and not intrusive. Not sure about it being complicated, it did take some time to set it up. I took screenshots of my OBS settings, you can use it as a starting point (you probably want to edit the Video tab resolution and fps). I use the replay buffer option most of the time. Once you start it, it constantly records into RAM, and you can save the last X minutes if something interesting happens with the appropriate hotkey. In the main window you just have to select a source - I usually use Game Capture, and select the game, if it doesn't work, then window capture (I play everything windowed).

I do edit/cut the recordings with Sony Vegas after, not sure what program you want to use for that. I have to do that since my internet is ass and I can't upload direct recordings. I can upload my Vegas settings too if you need them.

LittleFlower
    OK, I have set up OBS to capture at 1920x1080. It seems to work. Not sure when I will try to kill Raime. I did a few tries. The good news is that I now can get through phase-1 reliably, every time. That wasn't the case 2 years ago when I played DS2 the first time. The bad news is, Raime can kill me in phase-2 also 100% reliably. I'm gonna need to learn his phase-2 move-set better. That might take a while. I need to be not tired, and fully concentrated. Maybe after the weekend.

Edit: I realized that the Warlock Mask has reduced stats, because I don't have int at 14. The penal mask is a better option. I'm gonna go back a few savefiles (to get my twinkling titanite back).

I did ~20 tries, and Raime still reliably kills me half-way the 2nd phase. I learned that's it is best to just block the circle of fireballs, much more reliable for me than trying to dodge. My fatal mistakes atm are still: 1) trying to heal when I can't, and 2) getting hit by the slow 270 degree fire swing. Even when I roll through that one, I often get hit by the last bit of the swing. (Dodge to the left when the swing starts, by the time I stand up, the swing went 270 degrees, and hits me in its last split second. Doh).
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 10th Nov 2018 at 15:03.

LittleFlower
    Enjoy:

Last edited by Gryzemuis; 11th Nov 2018 at 10:21.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast