TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: DromEd Resolution Update - Solution

DromEd Resolution Update - Solution

OK Guys Ive been struggling along with configuring Dromed and ive Fianlly managed to get it to use my entire screen in windowed mode. Well minus only a few pixels.

So we will all know from searching on this form that you need to Edit your dromed.cfg file located in your main ThiefG directory.
    Mine is C:\Games\ThiefG. What you need to edit is the Edit_Screen_Size Command to the resolution of your choice. Now this is a little more tricky than many of you may imagine if you wish to maximise the use of that expensive widescreen monitor you have bought. DromEd Origionaly didnt support widescreen resolutions and even now dosent trully support Full Screen resolutions for some reason unknowen to me. I just know that the menus and interface in general are bugged if for instance you try to open drom ed in 1920 x 1200. So what do we do ? Well you run Drom ed in the next lower resolution. That was the first advice I got!

So 1680 x 1050 for instance should work fine but heres the rub. On a widescreen monitor, especially the larger ones even that resolution makes some details a little hard to see and on perhaps the more complex missions the 2d views can be somewhat small. Offcourse you can youse Right Cligh Mouse Button , Solo View but meh !

Now with a little digging I found a chap that advised a resolution of 1862 x 980. I think it was the chap that did the Burrick Video Tutorials. However this got me thinking! He , i asume , chose that resolution as it maintained the aspect ratio of his monitor which i think may have been 16:9 as I found this resolution to be quite narrow on my 1920x1200 monitor which has a resolution of 16:10. So this, soomewhat obviously, validates that you enter the resolution that your monitor supports, just not the maximum or dromed has problems ! So are we stuck with 1680 x 1050 ! Well No, but it is dependant on your monitors aspect resolution.

Further investigation, code for watching You Tube Videos , found that one of our compatriots had increasd the resolution from 1862 to 1908 which basically almost maximises drom ed on the horizontal, further elongate the 2d and 2d views but providing you with just a little more real estate to work within. Better but still not satisfactory.

So far ifor me its been a process of guess work, reading threads and watching You Tube videos. But theres a better way. I googles screen resolution charts or screen resolution tables and Wikipedia came up with a list of all the resolutions for me. Now there was no perfect standard resolution like say 1919x1199. Once pixel under the maximum. What would be the point of that ! But I searched for the resolution my monitor supports, 1920 x 1200, and then looked for an examply of a resolution thaat was smaller than 1200 in the vertical but the closest to 1200 I could see ! I found 1152 !

So Great you say. You now can edit_screen_size 1908x1152.

Well Yes and No ! 1908x1152 is not a standard 16:9 or 16:10 resolution ! so thats not going to work, well wait a minute. What aspect ratio is it ? Well i went back to google , im lazy that way, i should really practice my fractions more often though ! Anyway I went back to google and found a ratio calculator and input my prefered resolution ! 1908 x 1152 and got an aspect ratio of 53:32

Now for me, Im running Thief Gold remember, I have a cam_ext.cfg file. I also have a user.cfg file but its mostly empty and I suspect Thief II makes more use of it than Thief Gold does. Anyway In cam_ext.cfg i have a user_mode1 command which allows me to specify my resolution, bit depth, and aspect ratio. Now configuring your bit depth is another issue which i may well gointo at another time but i believe its fully covered already. Anyway for now assume im still woring in 16 bit depth ! So my command reads :-

user_mode1 1908 1152 16 53 32

With these two small changes you can maximise the dromed window to youe your widescreen in all its glory. And believe me it looks awsome !

In 32Bit.. well its AWSOMENESS is undescribeble

Anyway this is a longwinded post but I hope it might help out another Newbie Dromed'er like me in the future.

Bye

ZylonBane
    Please tell me English isn't your native language.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    It's not. He's Scottish.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    It's not. He's Scottish.

Aye richt enough there jock. ><

I have mine set to 1280x1024 because I sometimes have snapshots of dromed parameter boxes that I have saved in my 'how to' folder and copy from. My screen is set at 1920x1080.

As john said, sometimes it handy to have some screen space left over for other resources. Most of us old timers are used to a smaller interface. I just got dromed up and running again. (The last serious work I did with dromed was lending a small hand to get Rose Cottage released.)

I set up dromed at 1600x900. I hardly know what to do with a window that large!

With the extra space I can see the monolog file:

Link

I absolutely agree, while I hate working in a small window, it would be just as maddening to me for Dromed to take up the entire display. Besides needing to see the monolog, I usually have 2 or 3 Explorer windows, Notepad++, PSP and something playing music open and I need some space around Dromed for quick access to those. Yes, I do use the taskbar or Alt-Tab to switch too, but I also arrange them so I can click a corner of it somewhere to bring it to the top.

Edit - I think I read once somewhere that Purah made CC and CL with Dromed at 640x480 because he didn't know you could change it (up to 1024x768 with OldDark if memory serves).

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    I still run it at 800x600

Edit - I think I read once somewhere that Purah made CC and CL with Dromed at 640x480 because he didn't know you could change it (up to 1024x768 with OldDark if memory serves).
    That's getting close to thumbnail size! (not really)

ZylonBane
    I absolutely agree, while I hate working in a small window, it would be just as maddening to me for Dromed to take up the entire display. Besides needing to see the monolog, I usually have 2 or 3 Explorer windows, Notepad++, PSP and something playing music open and I need some space around Dromed for quick access to those.
    Dual monitors. LCDs are so cheap these days and video card support is so ubiquitous that there's precious little excuse not to.

Yes, I love my dual monitors at work, but sadly my current desk at home isn't large enough for two. Might have to remedy that soon.

LG makes a 29" ultra wide monitor that is capable of 2560x1080 resolution. Go to Best Buy's web site and enter 9222018 in the search box.

Dont forget Windows Key + Tab Key if your vista or win 7 or later!

Yeah, that rolodex thing is kinda neat but tbh I've never gotten in the habit of using it.