TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter campaign launches on 4th Feb

Quote Originally Posted by Rolander View Post
    What are Vorpal Bunnies?
    A fearsome foe!...

Last edited by Vae; 5th Mar 2015 at 01:52.

Master Builder 2018
    Vorpal bunnies are a cross between the killer rabbit that Vae just posted and the "vorpal sword" from Lewis Carroll's poem, Jabberwocky:

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
    Long time the manxome foe he sought—
    So rested he by the Tumtum tree
    And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
    The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
    Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
    And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head
    He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
    Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
    O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
    He chortled in his joy.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

The devs thought it would be funny to have a bunny rabbit that could take off your head.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    They've shifted the enhanced music goal and put it along side the companion creatures goal, so if they can raise $44k in the next 34 hours we'll get both.

It's possible but I think it'll be a close call. Fingers crossed.

I just hope they're not pulling a Peter Molyneux and throwing out promises that will be hard to keep. They've passed the funding goal, everything else is gravy.
    Because sound work and music is definitely in the over-ambitious, "promising the moon" territory. Right?

Last update: Otherside is announcing Paypal for further funding after Kickstarter ends!

Just passed $775k for Necrotic Graveyard!

Moderator and Priest
    21 hours to go, and $23k til Vorpal Bunnies! If it doesn't make it, you all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Because sound work and music is definitely in the over-ambitious, "promising the moon" territory. Right?
    Who said anything about promising the moon? I'm just concerned about shifting goalposts at the last minute, much like PM confessed to doing in that car-crash RPS interview.

Moderator and Priest
    It's nothing at all like a Molyneux situation. Everything they've switched around could conceivably be squeezed into their budget as it currently stands. They're sweetening the pot, but they're doing it with realistic goals in mind.

I still can't believe how underwhelming the response to this campaign is.

Freaking Amplitude made more money than they're at.

Moderator and Priest
    Quit being a buzzkill, damnit!

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Quit being a buzzkill, damnit!
    Well, donate $1,000,000 from your personal savings, and I'll stop talking about how low the funding is.

Yeah, I'm probably just being over anxious. The enhanced music stretch goal was one that I'd very much like the funding to meet, but I also want it to be done well. Otherside have already included lots of little on-the-fly bonuses for increased funding, and that's all well and good, I just hope they can deliver what they promise on the budget they're getting.

I would just like to remind anyone who may be concerned about the overall sound design, of which I was one initially, the team has stated that the sound design featured (and created by them) in Thief: The Dark Project, is what they are considering to be their "base sound design" for Underworld. The enhanced sound will focus primarily on the music and more sfx and vocals. The core sound design itself should be legendary, of course...

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by GodzillaX8 View Post
    Well, donate $1,000,000 from your personal savings, and I'll stop talking about how low the funding is.
    You know how much plasma I'd have to sell to get that much? Like, all my plasma. Ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if they squeezed by the $800,000 mark in the next 17 hours. Considering their initial goal was $600,000, they're not doing half bad.

Could have it been better? Sure. They could've flown past a cool million. But it's hardly a failure.

Let's see, right now they're getting about $100,000 more than Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss was made on (in today's dollars).

Moderator and Priest
    Wow. It shot up almost $50k in less than 12 hours. We're $6k away from Vorpal Bunnies and Mini Brains now.

As expected...with a shot of making it to 850+.

Edit: $800,000+...
    Last edited by Vae; 5th Mar 2015 at 19:41.

Well, I've just backed it. First time backing anything on KickStarter ...

Thanks for your support, Chade!...

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillaX8 View Post
    I still can't believe how underwhelming the response to this campaign is.
    I think I said this already when we were chatting on Steam, but I'm super duper excited about the team that's being put together, and completely apathetic about them doing a sequel to something (I'd probably be slightly more interested if they were doing System Shock or Thief, but not by much). I dunno if that applies to a lot of people or not; IMO most people either have no idea who Looking Glass were or particularly care. I'm also not really interested in funding a company's development unless they're doing something so new and different that it couldn't be made any other way.

I'll pick the game up on Steam if it ends up looking ok, and I don't feel particularly bad about that.

I just upped my pledge (1-2 steps) and I might not even have time to play much, but if nothing else I wanted to support the studio itself.
    Last edited by qolelis; 5th Mar 2015 at 23:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    I think I said this already when we were chatting on Steam, but I'm super duper excited about the team that's being put together, and completely apathetic about them doing a sequel to something (I'd probably be slightly more interested if they were doing System Shock or Thief, but not by much). I dunno if that applies to a lot of people or not; IMO most people either have no idea who Looking Glass were or particularly care. I'm also not really interested in funding a company's development unless they're doing something so new and different that it couldn't be made any other way.

I'll pick the game up on Steam if it ends up looking ok, and I don't feel particularly bad about that.
    I'd still have backed this if they had pulled a Tim Schafer/Double Fine Adventure and just said "Hello, this is who we are, we're going to make a game, give us money please"

Woo-hoo! We're getting dynamic music now.

The campaign is pretty much over now, having reached $850k with only minutes to spare. While it fell short of where many of us hoped it would get to, and had some controversial choices re the order of some of the goals, overall I think it was a fairly successful campaign and am excited beyond words that I will finally get a sequel to my favourite game series of all time.

t's OVER!

$858k

Alright, they can drink themselves silly with mushroom tea for the weekend, but they better get to work on Monday!

This is a glorious day for the legacy of classic computer role playing games. It has been a long, long road and yet, here we are. Standing triumphantly at the precipice of greatness, scattering conventional caution to the winds!

Thank you, faithful Taffers, for bringing my dreams to me. I await thee in the depths of The Stygian Abyss!!

Moderator and Priest
    Vorpal Bunnies, Mini Brains, fancy sound, and a bunch of new caves.

Today is a good day.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast