TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 years later, how do you feel about Thief 2X?

10 years later, how do you feel about Thief 2X?

It's been nearly 10 years now, and an HD mod is about to be released for it, so how has your opinion about Thief 2X changed? When I first played it 2 years ago, I was a bit underwhelmed by the initial missions, but I quickly warmed up to the expansion pack after that. The main issue I had was mainly with the storytelling, especially at the end where the villain just spread notes about his evil plan around the path to him, and doesn't bother killing Zaya, or hell, even closing off the portal.
    Last edited by Dev_Anj; 30th Jan 2015 at 11:18.

It was awesome!!!

Even the fact it got released, considering that other projects like CoSaS and the Hammerite Imperium were never finished, is a great thing.

I loved everything, with the exception of the ending, which was ... well, too despressing.

Classical Master 2008
    It was the most ambitious, most grandiose project actually realised by the Thief community, and looking at discussions on forums outside TTLG, it is one of the bigger gateways into playing fan missions.

On a personal level, I enjoyed it, and it had a good mix of level styles, but oddly, it did not leave a deep impression.

I always find that weird too, Thief 2X is very well designed, and it has some really strong elements, like the new undead enemy introduced in the tombs, but it somehow never feels like a great mission pack. It feels like a good mission pack with a few highs. I don't know why, part of me feels it's this way because of the problems in the storytelling or because it sometimes switched themes too frequently.

Magnificent, and I hope there's more projects like it. I've never seen anything as grandiose and ambitious as T2X, the community really went above and beyond

I remember liking it very much (though I replayed it only once) although like Melan the lingering impression isn't very strong except for a few highlights and "The Cure", which is one of my all-time favorite levels. Thinking back, I agree that the story building felt a bit amateurish compared to the perfect, concise narration in Thief. A bit similar to what Opposing Force was to Half-Life.

Story isn't particularly incredible and falls flat at the end but the mission progression and balance between settings and opponents is much, much better than Thief 2's.

Interesting you asked, I'm actually playing through it right now. I played it when it first came out and about two years later, so its been about five years since I played and it amazes me how much I had forgotten about it. Its amazing how much work was put into it and a testament to what "OldDark" could do. From a technical standpoint my eyes still pop out at the train level and how they accomplished that. As for the story, I thought is was ok, and its interwoven into some great levels. And its ending at least makes sense!(unlike Thief 2014) But like others have said, its fantastic that this got released, we've all seen over the years a person/team have a great idea, then it swells into over ambitious dreams of grandeur, just to be forgotten... So Thanks everyone on the T2X team!

To me it is the best multi mission set of fan missions to date I play it maybe once a year and it still amazes me!

What do you mean "7 years"? It's nearing 10 years since it was released. Time flies.

I think T2X was/is a monumental achievement. Not just for a fan made game but for a game, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    What do you mean "7 years"? It's nearing 10 years since it was released. Time flies.
    The site said they released it in February 18, 2007.

I played it for the first time in 2005, so that cannot be true.

Edit: Maybe that was version 1.1 Dev_Anj?
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Yes it was. So when did Thief 2X actually release?

I got to thinking, I know I played this when it came out, but that was around my first or second year in college, so that had to be 2005. I dug around and found the actual release date and post on the old T2x website; 15 May 2005! Wow how time flies!

Alright. I'm updating the time then!

In case this discussion inspires anyone to play/replay T2X, the forum, developer commentaries and downloads etc. are posted in the FM Links thread.

i recently got the fan mission version and game is amazing but i still have the same problem i had when game first came out,i felt last level was lacking

i wish someone would make a thief 2 gold,was such a great idea,i am not even sure if any of the missions that were planed for it ,where even released on there own???

Quote Originally Posted by Dev_Anj View Post
    The site said they released it in February 18, 2007.
    Then that would be 8 years, not 7

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Garrett View Post
    I got to thinking, I know I played this when it came out, but that was around my first or second year in college, so that had to be 2005. I dug around and found the actual release date and post on the old T2x website; 15 May 2005! Wow how time flies!
    Wow, I was graduating high school that month. Probably the very next week, actually.

Craziness! I remember I had to get a physical copy sent to me in the mail from Komag because the T2X file was too big to download on my parent's rural dial up connection.

It ranks very high for me and is one of the best fan made games. Let's be honest, 95% of Thief fan missions are of very questionable quality or simply deeply flawed, so I was more than happy for a high quality and lengthy fanmade game in Thief universe. To me 2X was almost what Thief 2 should have been. I will never get over the disappointment that was Thief 2 - what the hell happened? where's the atmosphere? the level design? robots in thief? warehouses? 2X compensated and soothed.

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Taffer View Post
    Craziness! I remember I had to get a physical copy sent to me in the mail from Komag because the T2X file was too big to download on my parent's rural dial up connection.
    I was in the same boat. School had let out for the summer and I was back at home with my parents. Small rural community. We had just swapped over from dial-up to satellite internet, but back then satellite was slow, like barely 1m and you got frag if you went over 100 megs or so in a day. I only lived an hour from the college so I drove back up there, downloaded it, and burned it to cd.

Man I remember how much of a pain it was in the early days of Thief to get larger missions! Especially late 90's when all there was were floppy and zip disks, and slow dial-up! Of course back then a mission over a few megs was considered huge.

2005 sounds about right. I faked being sick in high school to play it on release day!

My feelings haven't changed. It was an awesome and rare achievement for any fan community. There are some truly standing ovation quality missions (The Cure, Down Among Dead Men) and lots of new mechanics to play with. Yes, the story was a bit silly, but still enjoyable. Overlooking the flaws that any design-by-commitee fan project entails, it's a real blast for anyone who enjoys Thief!
    Last edited by TannisRoot; 31st Jan 2015 at 11:53.

Dunno why this is/was so hard. Jason keeps meticulous records. May 15, 2005.

http://thiefmissions.com/m/T2X#m

T2X was the first FM for me. I found out about it via Wikipedia in about 2006, while surfing the net for information on T2. I had played T2 years before, but I did not really understand what the FMs were all about. I figured they were just modifications of current levels, so I ignored them for years. T2X though was a whole expansion pack, so I tried it and was very pleased. It gave me the desire to try other FMs.

My first impression of T2X was, "This chick's voice is a little too sweet,", but that quickly changed to, "Oh man, this creepy mansion is going to give me a heart attack!" I was hooked from there. The overall game play was good to great for me. I liked the mix of T1 and T2 type AI and themes. I replay T2X from time to time, but usually just switch to a particular mission to try out better techniques developed over the years and get try to get all loot on the highest difficulty. While I find the story line moves around a bit, it does make sense over all to me. I think it is a better story than T2. I like the sad ending. It is more realistic than a happy one. Once a servant, always a servant until death.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast