TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: TG fm campaign: Gems of Provenance (released February 4, 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    More StinkyKitty missions, yay!
    +1

No rush, take your time.

Had to change my shorts after
    spoiler:
    the statue moved in the crypt. I actually missed the first one moving. I was freaked out about the statue blocking the door and tried to go around the edge over the tombs. Then he moved!!! Totally took me by surprise!

Have to say this I'm really enjoying this mission pack - it's very well designed and feels very old school Thief!

One question:

spoiler:
    Is there only the one gem of provenance in the Valley of the Burned? And is there anyway to get to the ware in the ceiling by the gem? Using crates perhaps? Is that area a dead end? (By the wolf howl sounds)
    Last edited by TannisRoot; 18th Sep 2015 at 23:33.

I'm seemingly stuck. I got keep key and opened it, and it's a dead end for me. The top of the keep is just a light switch a skeleton and booby traps. I have no idea what going in there serves. I can't find a way into garden area.
    Any help would be great, awesome game play so far!

Classical Master 2008
    Once your other objectives have been completed, you should climb into the corner of the top room with a metal grate below you. This should end the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    Once your other objectives have been completed, you should climb into the corner of the top room with a metal grate below you. This should end the mission.
    Oh I guess I came too early. I still need to get into mansion and get mask. I have no idea where. I have been through out the mines and connected factory vigorously. As well as central giant tree place with human guards. I still have large explosives, was I supposed to use it somewhere?

Classical Master 2008
    I think the mask is inside the crypts somewhere, so don't go looking for a mansion (you'll get there in mission 2). If you have not been to the crypts yet, the key is in the central courtyard - there is a wooden bridge between the gatehouse and the little church-like building; you have to climb up and enter some derelict rooms, and the key will be in one of these.

derelict rooms, and the key will be in one of these.
    Uh oh, I have been in those places thoroughly. I will have another look. Thanks Melan!

You can't get to the top of the tower where all the traps are until you have been through the mines and the tombs and collected the correct key....I remember jumping down into the hole at the end of this mission seemed a bit buggy in Widow's Ire, but when I played Gems recently it seemed fine for me....

Have you completed all your other objectives and collected enough loot ? If so you may have encountered a unknown bug....if you want I should have a save available for the start of the next mission if you need, just let me know

Classical Master 2008
    Okay, I checked it and I remembered things slightly wrong. If you have been to the mines, you should remember a huge hall with mine tracks at different levels. You need to get to the top of this hall (look for a set of double tracks and a side passage with ropes leading up). This will get you to an arena. Continue the mission from here as you pass through different areas. The mask will be at the end of this route, right before you are back to the surface.

Yes, and in the circular room with several shelves with sarcophagi, some ladders and zombies, there is another way out that's easy to miss.

jiansonz

Thank you jiansonz, I did miss it, on to mis two!

Having a wonderful time playing these excellent TG FMs - thank you for the fun missions StinkyKitty.

Now playing the 4th mission "Mercenaries" and hit the problem where the 4 keys don't work. I am playing via Thief1 with TFix 1.23c applied so I can play TG FMs.

This thread http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post2278989 advises that you need miss16.osm for the keys to work and I don't have that file in my Thief 1 directory.

To fix this I downloaded the latest TFix patch (1.25c) (see here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733 ). I opened TFix125c using 7-Zip and found the file miss16.osm which I copied to my Thief 1 directory. Yippee - keys are now working!

Thanks to all the previous posts that helped me work out what I needed to fix. Hopefully this summary might help anyone else who hits this issue with the keys not working.

Onwards to complete the "Mercenaries" mission and finish this great 4-miss pack.

I had these missions on my to-do list for a while but finally got around to playing them. They were excellent! I really liked how all the missions had instances of weird and creative architecture. Even the buildings had fun twisty layouts that were far from typical floorplans. Of course the lighting and guard placement and loot were well done too, but it's the "unusual" areas that I will remember most about these missions.

Don't know why I waited so long before playing CPWW and Mercenaries, but these missions are great!

Thank you, StinkyKitty! Looking forward to playing the conclusion to this campaign!

Thank you for the campaign !

The first mission is very well designed ! We have a bit of Constantine's garden , cragsleft's mine plus horn of quintus at the end a very well mix of them in the first mission. You have put some of new stealth mechanics like lure the guard at the stairs by sabotaging the machine and bypass the security of the elevator by following the first guard closely. Very good idea so when I finished the first mission i was glad to see that is not a single FM but a campaign ! ^^

The second mission is great too, what I like is the two ways to enter the mansion, btw I laughed when i read the guest book, most of the guests presented their condolences to the widow after the burial ceremony, except one person who said "the food was great" Good mansion level overall, i wonder if you ever played Vagrant Story because the lost medieval city at the end recall me Lea mundis.

The third mission is great too, we have at least four ways to enter the precursor's temple : a museum to clean up and a sewer level to explore and I encountered no AI's errors or bugs in the safe/friendly zone.

I less liked the 4th mission, the guardian temple drove me crazy

infinite crate

Hello taffers, I finished the first mission and found the infinite crate. It's only for fun or is there a secret reachable only using it?
    Having read the thread I guess it's just for fun, there seems to be one in each missions.

I know I hid a stack of 25 mines near the beginning of the first level, and there's a secret near the end of the second level, but that might be it. Otherwise the Infinity Crate is just for fun. You can even use it to slowfall!

Where might I have missed loot in Mercenaries?

I am stuck, and/or running in circles in the last mission. I think I've finished the main area of the house with the many thieves. All I see is there are 4 elemental doors, I have an earth key which (in itself) won't open the earth door, and have blurry suggestions for the other three from a readable.

Any advice? Thank you!

Ticky, I don't know if you still need this information, but I'll help in any case.

For the Sky Key, get to the very top of the level and look around carefully.

For the Water Key, as the name suggests, it is located in the water. Check the ground level of the keep.

For the Fire Key, check the fireplaces in the keep.

RE: vengeful spirits in mission 3.

The first one is at the temple exit, and the other appear when you kill it. There is one in the mage area, one in the metal tunnel connecting to this area, one at the waterworks (large central hall where you descend with an elevator), and one at the entrance hall which you visited at the beginning of the mission. The guards should kill most of them by the time you get to them.
    Are their locations different on Expert or something? I killed the first two (the one that appears outside temple/puzzle room and the one that appears nearby where the mages are) but found no others in any of those places, nor are there any floating bones to indicate they've been slain by guards.

I like the mission overall, but I... kind of hate that objective. I mean aside from the fact that I'm stuck at it, it seems like it almost forces you to backtrack in a particular way, when there were several ways in.

So it seems I had, by all appearances, encountered a rare glitch that broke that objective. Frustrating, because I ran around most of the level trying to track down the other apparitions. In any case I still think it's a brilliantly designed mission. The many shortcuts and alternate entrances to the sewers and tomb are very cool (though I wish some of the one-way ones had been two-way). Stinkykitty's designs in general are pretty striking and the layouts are sometimes brilliant.

I'm curious about what people who played both this campaign and the original Widow's Ire think about the changes. I played the original several months ago and am actually glad I did, since some of the changes are very significant. If my memory doesn't deceive me there is some polish in the new version that is welcome. (There was an important new-to-me areas I discovered in "Valley of the Burned" but I can't say whether it wasn't in the original or if I simply missed it.) But the major change in that mission comes after the weird garden when you enter the outdoor area. If you've played either version you know this area as two exits aside from the keep: one that leads into a ruined Hammerite complex and then the mine, and another that leads directly to a crypt. In the original, you enter the crypt first and come out through the mines. When I first played it, I thought structuring the mission that way was genius because it was so unusual. Having come through this impossible garden, you've come out into a relatively quiet interlude, which then plunges into an almost surreal crypt. I remember when I got to the area right after the golden bones, where you have to jump that huge gap, the image of peeking into that strange empty space stuck with me through the rest of the journey through the surreal cave area and the massive, forbidding mines and then back to the beginning of that section. That whole loop felt kind of like playing a "normal" Thief mission in reverse, while also being a brilliantly-paced adventure of its own. Reversing this loop keeps it a great adventure, but makes it a bit more conventional in its structure.

On the other hand, I might argue that it's an improvement in gameplay terms. The overall progression becomes an ascent rather than descent, which is a naturally satisfying way to progress. The huge mine shaft, for example, is cool either way, but it was probably cooler to go up than down.

Speaking of loops, another thing I miss from the original is how, near the end of "The Widow's Ire," we loop back around to an area near the beginning of "Valley of the Burned" before proceeding to the exit.

Brilliant missions either way, of course, but do you agree with my thoughts here? Disagree?

Well, I mostly agree with you except I haven't played previous versions so if I will, I could not avoid comparison with new version and I suspect that comparison would be in favor of the Gems of Provenance It's great campaign overall - with vast, interconnected levels and strong sense of mystery. I cannot add to what already was said by other players. Just a few nitpicks maybe: I also found that additional objective in CPWW a bit strange/glitchy. In my playthrough some of those apparitions were killed by mages and guards, and in general this objective didn't tick off. Maybe a) there are some other apparitions I didn't encounter and/or b) since some of them were killed by other inhabitants of level, the game maybe didn't count them as killed by me; and possibly a) and b) are interconnected. Also loot goal in Widow's Ire and Mercenaries felt a bit steep especially on expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    Ticky, I don't know if you still need this information, but I'll help in any case.

For the Sky Key, get to the very top of the level and look around carefully.

For the Water Key, as the name suggests, it is located in the water. Check the ground level of the keep.

For the Fire Key, check the fireplaces in the keep.
    Yes, abandoned it for a few weeks, but I want to finish it! Thank you very much.

The Valley of the Burned
    7/10
    Finished on October 18, 2020, on Easy in 1 hour and 32 minutes with 1895 of 2765 total loot. I needed 1 hint to complete the mission. The architecture and atmosphere are impressive. I played the original version before and this time around, I noticed the mission is surprisingly linear. But the mission does a very good job at presenting you with multiple paths, all of which converge into a funnel that leads you to the next area. This prevents you from wandering around aimlessly. Well done. I did get stuck once when I missed an opening in the wall in the large circular room next to the skull pit.

The Widow's Ire
    7/10
    Finished on October 24, 2020, on Easy in 53 minutes with 1984 of 2299 total loot. I love how the mission switches from "odd, but still somewhat believable mansion" to "eldritch, otherworldly ruins". But even before that, there is one room in the mansion that just end in a bottomless pit. There is no explanation for it and that adds another mystery to the setting. Similarly, I still don't understand what is up with the giant heart at the end. But I don't need an explanation. Actually, I think leaving some things unexplained works in the mission’s advantage.

City Public Water Works

9/10
    Finished on November 1, 2020, on Easy in 1 hour and 44 minutes with 1695 of 1922 total loot. The beginning is unusual: I don't think I ever played a mission in a large water plant. One of the few missions where you enter a building and people ignore you as long as they don't catch you stealing something or see you enter a forbidden area. There is a variety of environments: rooms filled with machines in the water plant, beautiful architecture in the Precursor museum, and spooky catacombs in the Precursor ruins. World-building in the notes is done well and I appreciated the relative non-linearity. The puzzle in front of N'Lahotep's tomb is perfect: not too difficult and fun to overcome. Things that could be improved are the vengeful spirits: They alerted the AIs in the water plant, which made ghosting the last part impossible. Also, I passed right through the three rotating wheels in the sewers that I think are supposed to kill the player. I ended up in the room behind them and had to reload.

Mercenaries
    8/10
    Finished on November 14, 2020, on Easy in 49 minutes with 893 of 1293 total loot. The abbey is an impressive building. I had a lot of fun exploring its multiple levels and I especially enjoyed climbing around the outside. In the secret Keeper areas, I found three glyphs quickly, but then found myself in the room with the Necromancer Staff and saw that the cage was still locked. I incorrectly assumed I must have missed a glyph earlier and went back to the previous rooms. I took some time until I gave up searched and returned, only to find the last glyph in plain sight below the locked cage.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567