TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Modern gaming trends and Thief 2014...

Modern gaming trends and Thief 2014...

There's an interesting topic on MMO Champion about World of Warcraft, and I wonder how this relates to Thief 2014 with its drawbacks - poor story, forsaking good stealth with action.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ttracting-kids

There's a comment that caught my attention:

This is going to sound horrible but to take a great George Carlin quote "Think of how dumb the average person is. Half of people are even dumber than that."

Waaay back at the start of the tech boom, more or less the only people who were using computers/were online in any great numbers were people higher up the IQ scale. Therefore the entertainment they sought was fairly cerebral. That IQ scale was also heavily weighted towards being good with numbers, liking logic problems etc This was the golden age of the RPG/puzzler. Even relatively gamer friendly fantasy stuff like baldurs gate, morrowind and wow had arcane number and ruling systems lifted from D+D to power the underlying gameplay.

Your average person probably hasn't done any math except maybe to get a mortgage or count how much they spent shopping since they left school and they hate even doing that much.

So games are getting dumber and dumber to match the actual cognitive skills of the people likely to be playing and paying for them. i.e. stupid folks. What stupid folks like is action adventure and dancing style reaction puzzles. So that's what modern games are, for the most part. if you want the old style stuff it's there, but it's niche. (Play darkest dungeon or divinity OS, btw if you want the old style thinking mans gaming).

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgarian_Taffer View Post
    There's an interesting topic on MMO Champion about World of Warcraft, and I wonder how this relates to Thief 2014 with its drawbacks - poor story, forsaking good stealth with action.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ttracting-kids

There's a comment that caught my attention:
    I think that developers are always subject to the distributors and the bottom line is ALWAYS going to be cash money! This is the bane of ANY form of entertainment, particularly the movie and music industries. Risk taking is not as valued as the tried and market tested approach. Games are SO easy today - most games offer almost no consequence to dying or failing - at worst you get set back about five minutes. Today's generation would NEVER make it through a game like Doom where you could spend a half hour and die right at the exit and have NO CHOICE but to start over from the beginning.

Today, it's just hand-holding Thief 2014 just exemplifies this - there's all these "action" sequences - but really its just "mash the run button and steer a little bit, we'll do all the jumping and climbing for you!"

Remember the original Thief and Tomb Raider games when you were just dropped into this level and then "good luck, see you at the exit!" They don't make games like that anymore!!