TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Old-ish (~2000) top-down game

Old-ish (~2000) top-down game

There was a top-down or isometric game around 2000, where you controlled a two-legged walker/mech. I only played it a little, so I really don't remember much more, but IIRC it was action/arcade, you could move the walker diagonally (so no east-west/north-south movement) and the screen was always centered on you. I'm not even 100% sure about those last 2 features. You could also pick up various weapons but could only have 1 or 2 available at any time. The graphics and menus, in fact the whole game weren't that sophisticated, so I think it was fairly obscure and not some major title.

Anyone remember what it's called?

[EDIT] It was a Windows game
    Last edited by dj_ivocha; 28th Feb 2015 at 19:11.

ZylonBane
    Are you sure this was a Windows game? Because that sounds exactly like Battletech on the SNES/Genesis.

Yeah, it was most certainly a Windows game. Battletech does look somewhat similar, but with worse graphics. I think the walker was smaller than the one in Battletech, too, as well as being green and more... squished too. The former is already stockier than an AT-ST, for example, and "mine" was even more so.

Another thing I remember a bit, but again might be wrong about, is the name. I think it was quite short and consisted of two words - like "Gun Mech" or "War Robot" and nothing complex like "Mechanized Walking Suit Part 2: Missiletron".

Level 10,000 achieved
    Bedlam? (Never played it myself tho I remember seeing it in PC Gamer. Might've been more late 90's.)

Thing What Kicks

Future Cop would have been my first guess too, although that was fully 3-D.

No, it's neither Bedlam, nor Future Cop LAPD. In fact, the latter is moving further away from what I remember - no 3D and the viewpoint was not so flattened, but more "top-downish".

Here's what seems like a fairly exhaustive list of games that feature mechs. Nothing jumped out at me, but maybe you'll spot it. 2000 starts on page 9.

Mech Commander would be about the right age and sounds sort of like what you're after, but what you describe sounds more arcadey.

Edit: The other thing would be Heavy Gear(not isometic), but my deja vu senses are tingling. I think we've discussed these before and you rejected them.

Is it point n clicky or direct control?
    Last edited by DaBeast; 3rd Mar 2015 at 11:23.

Yeah, it was rather arcadey and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a big mainstream title like the ones you guys have been suggesting.

As for point and click - I could have sworn it was direct control, but now that you ask, I'm not so sure anymore... might very well have been mouse controlled.

Argh, it's so frustrating! The game probably isn't even that good, but once it got in my head I can't sleep until I remember it . The thing is, it was around 2002-2004, I was already in Germany and only went home in Bulgaria for Christmas. The game was on my sister's PC and I only played it for a short time, that's why I can barely remember anything about it. If I saw a screenshot of it or maybe even just the name, I'm certain I'll remember it, though.

I've checked pretty much everything from 1999 to 2004 on moby.

Isometric, top-down, arcade, battlemech, sci-fi/futuristic.

Nothing seem's viable.

Is it possible that you played a demo of something that didn't get a full release? It's either that or you dreamt this game. It would really help if you remembered more about it. Like themes, story or really anything other than Battlemech game with a shit name and graphics that may or may not have been strategy-lite or arcade.

I suspect it was one of the thousands of shareware indie games out there at the time. Most of these don't have pages on mobygames, take Zulu Assault (one of the titles that might have fitted the bill) for example.

Yeah, I was also starting to think it might have been a demo or a shareware game, since I've also checked a lot on Mobygames and Wikipedia. I don't think it had any meaningful or "visible" story either (the way Demonstar, which I also used to play at the time, didn't). I really don't remember that much about it, which IS the big problem, after all. Considering it was most likely rather obscure, I was hoping someone here had personally played it, which is probably the only way to remember enough about it.

Take this mech - http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/...ik-d5d8kkb.png, remove the torso and put a StarCraft vulture on top of the legs, then paint everything (light) green, then scale it down so in-game it looks about as big as said vulture, probably not more than 1.5x-2x bigger. That's sort of how I remember the mech looking.

I had this issue with a game I'm pretty sure now is Golvellius, but watching LPs of it now it's much more primative than my memory of it. But by the numbers it should be it. I take it as a sign that my idea of what's awesome in a game was much different in 1988 than it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I had this issue with a game I'm pretty sure now is Golvellius, but watching LPs of it now it's much more primative than my memory of it. But by the numbers it should be it. I take it as a sign that my idea of what's awesome in a game was much different in 1988 than it is now.
    Nostalgia tends to taint our memory and taste often changes as we age.

Not even just taste, but more like what would appear to be "high resolution" or "fluid animation", which is pretty impossible for me to see in this game now no matter how hard I try to put myself back in that time. I guess my frames of reference were an NES, 386, and C64. It's hard to go back to a mindset where those were the pinnacles of graphics.

But I mean, I remember the first time I saw something like the opening of Another World and thinking it was mindblowing.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Not even just taste, but more like what would appear to be "high resolution" or "fluid animation", which is pretty impossible for me to see in this game now no matter how hard I try to put myself back in that time. I guess my frames of reference were an NES, 386, and C64. It's hard to go back to a mindset where those were the pinnacles of graphics.

But I mean, I remember the first time I saw something like the opening of Another World and thinking it was mindblowing.
    I still have some of my old (88-93) computer game magazines and rereading them can be funny. What constitutes "Spectacular Graphics" has indeed changed a lot since video games started. Input devices and the way games use them has evolved as well. Though it is harder to say how dramatic that change has actually been, a modern controller (or the M+KB setup) with contextual controls is a noticable leap from the way early games did things.

A non-game example of old "Spectacular Graphics" would be Dire Straits' Money For Nothing. Dat lip sync.