TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Stilt Fella :D

Level 10,000 achieved

Announcement: Release pushed back to Early 2020

Yeah, I'm not gonna get this finished in November, and I feel like there's so much going on in videogameland in December that my little game will drown in the noise. January or February sounds better.

Full Steam post

In other news I attended some masterclasses on UI and narrative design in games last Thursday/Friday and came away with a few new ideas.

-Foreshadowing the end of the game earlier. Right now it kinda comes out of nowhere, but I thought of some good, easy to implement ways to make the whole journey feel more logical/meaningful.

-Controller rumble! This is so obvious I dunno why I didn't think of it earlier. Implemented it this morning. The left side of the gamepad now jolts a bit when the left stilt touches ground and vice versa. IMPROVES GAMEFEEL!

-Tutorial remade. Previously it wasn't possible to fall over in the first level, but this kinda teaches the wrong lessons to the player, since it makes the level possible to complete using techniques that won't work in the actual game.

These changes aren't in the Steam Beta yet, will publish a new build later this week.

Level 10,000 achieved

New version uploaded!

Featuring improved character customization camera!

Menu improvements:
    -Better navigation for both gamepad and mouse
    -Logo zoom animation
    -More sounds

Character Customization menu:
    -Clothing Item Unlock system implemented
    -Improved camera

Gameplay/Levels:
    -Controller rumble!
    -Improved scenery in several levels
    -Changes to tutorial

Backend systems:
    -Did some very CLEVER PROGRAMMING to make sure I can update the database system WITHOUT wiping all your savedata, hopefully.
    BETA TESTERS, please let me know if any of the following happens:
    -game stops on Press Start screen and you cant progress.
    -none of the clothing options are unlocked from the start.
    -your previous level progress is missing.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Another update:

Character Customization updates:
    -Lots of new clothing items. All planned items are now in the game.
    -Idle animation on customization screen.

Misc:
    -added Options to Pause Menu.
    -a few minor level tweaks and bugfixes.
    Will be showing off the game at Vaasa Game Days (local gaming event) tomorrow and the next day!

Level 10,000 achieved
    New trailer! Get hyped all over!

Currently on track for an early 2020 release. Wishlist on Steam!

I set up a discord group for my testers, which is why I haven't posted much about the game here recently, but recent developments include giving the fella a lot more soundeffects, making a few new levels, and adding an Iron Fella mode. Also made a few improvements to the physics this past week. I worked up the nerve to send my hero Bennett Foddy a Steam key and a few questions, and he sent back some feedback and a few tips on how to improve physics in Unity! The biggest improvement was a simple one, increasing the global gravity. I turned it up from the default -9.81 to -12.81 and was stunned by how much better the game felt after such a simple change. Previously the stilts would sometimes slip backwards when you pushed forward, but after the gravity-increase the fella felt a lot more solidly planted on the ground. Of course I had to adjust all the catapults and windzones in the game so the game would still be playable, but it wasn't so much work. Also managed to get rid of some other physics-glitches the game has been plagued by for ages. It's really coming together!

Love the trailer. It has a very eighties vibe to it.

Only on the 2nd viewing do I notice in the open desert level you have a neon lit city in the distance. That's a very In Search of Paradise kind of image there.
    Last edited by demagogue; 23rd Dec 2019 at 09:20.

Nice! I only have the original release to compare with, so there's some pretty excellent new content on display in there!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Made the Steam Achievement icons this past week. Went with an isometric view for consistency and clearness.

Other recent developments:
    -Single Player levels finished. 40 levels in total, double the initially-planned 20, heh.
    -Iron Fella mode added.
    -Local Hotseat Multiplayer implemented, with support for up to 100 players!
    -Also playable online via Steam's new Remote Play Together feature.

Aiming for a late-February release. Time to put together a final trailer and start mailing press, streamers, curators, etc.

Moderator and Priest
    How did I miss that trailer? That's an awesome trailer!

Chakat sex pillow
    I also somehow missed that trailer. It's fantastic. The achievement icons are cute, and the third-last one is very open to interpretation, which is something I can only cheer.

Level 10,000 achieved

I've set a date!

FEBRUARY 26. GET HYPED.

WISHLIST, if you haven't already: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1133590/Stilt_Fella/

Nice trailer! How come it can't be saved for later, though? Is that something you set when you upload a video?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Good question, I had to look into it. YouTube has this new thing where it asks you if a video is made for children every time you upload. I interpreted that as if it's appropriate for kids, so I clicked yes. This makes it impossible to add the video to a playlist or the "watch later" queue, for some reason. Anyway, I flipped the switch back. Stilt Fella is NO LONGER FOR THE KIDS! THIS IS NOW ADULT FELLA CONTENT. >:|

Kids can still watch it tho.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Stilt Fella now has a PHOTO MODE.

Because every 3D game should have a photo mode.

That's awesome henke. Love Stilt fella in space

Moderator and Priest
    That bling? It rings, brah. And that sheep totally represents.

Level 10,000 achieved

www.christcenteredgamer.com?

You've sent the game to a lot of big sites, but don't forget the smaller audiences. Google "indie game reviews" or something and spread the Stilt love! Or perhaps you could contact some popular Youtubers and why not some lesser known names too? Can't help you with any names as I don't really follow such channels much, but I'm sure that there are quite a few.

Anyway, sounds like the next few weeks will be super exciting for you. I wish you the very best of luck with the launch, I hope it all goes well.

Oh and how about some Finnish gaming sites (apart from Pelit)? They might be interested in reviewing the new Steam sensation from Finland, even though many of these sites often seem to concentrate on the biggest AAA titles only. But I guess it's worth a try! Some sites that come to my mind:

www.muropaketti.com
    www.v2.fi
    www.pelaaja.fi
    www.tilt.fi
    www.gamereactor.fi

Seconding the popular streamer/YouTuber idea.

I couldn't say which ones, though. I'm not familiar with who might cover ... whatever kind of game Stilt Fella is.
    Maybe look for people who liked similar physics games? Maybe people who liked Bennet Foddy's games, or Human Fall Flat, or etc.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thanks for the suggestions, Tomi.

RE: Youtubers/Streamers

Yup, working on it. I already have key requests from 38 streamers on Keymailer. I'll also be using Steam's Curator Connect to send out keys, and I'm in the process of hunting down emails to some of my fave youtubers. I'll probably send those out a few days before release. There's a distinct risk the game will end up on piracy sites once you start sending keys to streamers. I mean it's bound to end up on piracy sites eventually, if it's halfway succesful, but I don't want a situation where it's only available on piracy sites for several days before release.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    Gotta admit I am dying to know what Stilt Fella's "Morality Score" will be.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Gotta admit I am dying to know what Stilt Fella's "Morality Score" will be.
    + A fun game for the whole family to enjoy.
    + Stilt based gameplay teaches coordination and patience to younger gamers.

- Revels in the suffering of others.
    - Stilts may or may not be blasphemous.

Score: 94
    Morality Score: 79

Nice keep us posted how it goes. Good luck

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thanks!

Sent out the first batch of keys to streamers today. Only one of them has played the game yet, a French streamer called KStar, and he played it for... uh... 3 HOURS AND 20 MINUTES! He made it roughly 75% through the game. That's overdoing it, really. No one should subject themselves to that much Stilt Fella in one go.

So of all the sites you sent the keys to. How many actually activated them?

I sent keys out to several review sites for Bipolar and CrossTrix and none of them were activated.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast