TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving To Arizona, maybe....

Moving To Arizona, maybe....

So I was laid off of work at the beginning of March due to "corporate restructure and budget cuts." My wife and I have decided to move from Washington State to Arizona because she has a job promotion which is located in Phoenix. I'm fairly apprehensive about the move since only one of us has a job waiting for us there.

Sorry to hear about it, man.

I got laid off after 7 years at my job last year due to outsourcing and was unemployed for a few months. It's tough.

Arizona sounds cool, though. I've always wanted to visit the desert.

I've read a lot of books by Edward Abbey so I'm kind of excited. My biggest worry is the schools down there because they seem small and the test scores are pretty low. My daughter is already learning to speak Spanish so this kind of immersion might be a big help to her someday.

mxleader,

Sorry to hear you were laid off. It happens to many of us. Are you in IT?

Are you currently in the wet part of Washington? I assume you are. If you are used to weather like Seattle, you are in for huge change.

Some of the good:
    The Phoenix area is really nice from fall to spring. There are a lot of outdoor activities to do and it rarely rains at all. When it does rain, it is usually monsoon flow from over Mexico and the gulf (warm and humid). The place will start to look and feel a little like Hawaii in some respects.

If you are concerned about school, move to the nicer parts, such as Scottsdale. By no means am I an expert about the area, but we have good friends that live there and they love it.

Some of the not so good:
    Starting about now, temps will shoot up into the 100s and stay there. It is usually a dry heat, so 110 in the shade is not as depressing as 95 and 95% humidity.

I've had to go on business in August. You get off the plane and feel the intense heat just walking through the Jetway. You get into the terminal, which is for some reason 65 degrees and chilly, then find your way to the rental car area. It is in a parking garage and about 100 feet or so from the terminal, connected by an open sided, but covered walkway. The split second you open the door to the walkway, you are hit with 113 degree heat. It feels like opening an oven, except it is all over your body. You're glad you wore cotton. You check in and get your car that has been in covered storage. It is still over 100 degrees inside, you can barely touch the wheel, and the seats feel like heating pads. Air comes on full blast and blows HOT for a few seconds, making the profuse sweat you already have become a torrent.

But once the car cools down, the place it really pretty. Downtown is sort of small if you are used to the big city. The area reminds me of LA, in that is sprawls for miles upon miles. The map of the area is misleading. It looks so compact and small, but the map represents a huge place. It takes over 45 minutes to get to Scottsdale from the southern part of the city. Anyway, everyone has AC. You cannot live without it.

Suggestion:
    If you do go, scout out areas first, then rent for a while and get a feeling for the place. In time you will find a great area you love, then buy or rent there. Look for a place with solar panels. I think on electric bill for our friends this last summer was $800! Solar would do a lot to knock that down.

Best of luck!

I finished HS in Arizona (Tucson) and frankly I am not too keen on the state. As I put it, ain't much there except sand, cacti and racism.

On the upside, Phoenix at least is a pretty big city with lots of things to do, so if you end up in the state that's probably the best part of it.

Phoenix is the worst. I lived there for a year and I will never ever go back.

And the Arizona state government is almost as insane as Florida's: http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2...mandatory.ktvk, http://jezebel.com/new-arizona-law-r...rev-1693847246

Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    Phoenix is the worst.
    A bit much perhaps? I would think a little stint in No. Iraq would make you change your mind about what is the "worst".

Yes, there is polarization in AZ, as there is in CA, NM, TX, and almost any border state. We all are forced to take the on 10s of thousands of refugees (un-immunized by the way - can we all say TB? ) from Central and So. America. We, the locals, are expected to take up 100% of the tab. Little to no Fed help. Punch people in the face repeatedly and you do not expect a come back?

Long term Spanish speaking people that live in the area are cool. It is the same in So CA. We have a huge old Mexican heritage that goes further back than our statehood. Some of our Mexican friends here have heritage going back 200 years or more. My white faction only goes back to 1920. They were here first. Many of us respect that. Mexicans on the whole are really cool. Yes there are some crazy gang dudes you do not want to deal with, but those are few and far between.

If anyone tells you the area is full of super racists, then they hang with the wrong crowd. Yes, there are skin head ass holes everywhere.

mxleader, everywhere in America is a terrible racist place according to the media. Love your family, God (if you are inclined to) and country and live where you want. Make the place you go a place of happiness and peace. Best of luck.

You will perhaps note that neither of the stories I linked about how stupid and insane the AZ state government is are about immigration or racism (though a simple googling of Joe Arpaio should give anyone all the ammunition they need about how (generally) fucked up and (specifically) racist Maricopa County law enforcement is).

And Phoenix is the worst because it is literally the worst.
    Last edited by Fafhrd; 29th Mar 2015 at 12:55.

I have two friends that live/d in Phoenix.

The cosmopolitan one found it pretty depressing and bleak. Her stories are usually about suburban pettiness gone a bad way, and seem to match Faf's take on it. She hates the desert and SW style, likes jazz and CNN, and was built for a city more like NYC.

The consevative one is still there, works as a lawyer, and seems happy. He likes posting about nature hikes, family life, and DIY projects. So I got the idea happiness starts at home for him.

Those are just 2 data points, the only ones I know, but maybe are helpful.

Displaying my ignorance of and disregard for your geography but regard for Zappa.

Cool nicker! I love Zappa.

Montana is about a far from AZ as Ireland is to Spain, but I get your point. Man, everywhere is "Spltsville" when you are on the down beat. Get with the program and live baby! I'm not pushing bad dope here bro! I am speaking truth! LIVE ITů BE ITů DO ITů Of course, do not get caught by the fuzz cuz.

verbose douchebag

Level 10,000 achieved
    At least Arizona has one thing going for it...

mxleader. AZ is a good place to find a job. Don't listen to the noise. I swear, if a place is not a brothel with a needle party going on, it seems to me that many our fellow TTLG chat members would say the place is a racist shit hole. Are there douche bags there in AZ? Of course there are! Seattle invented them and they all moved to a place without volcanoes and ice. Well really NY was the birthpace of the douche bag, only to be refined in Jersey. And AZ is full of extinct volcanoes.

You're wasting your breath. A lot of them are the kind of people who think that anything other than NYC or LA is "flyover country" while being completely blind to the racist and classist undertones of that attitude.

In my experience, people that have only lived in NYC or LA have a rosier picture of the south and southwest, and people that are actually from there or who have lived there longterm know better. But it's hardly like other places in the world I've lived where ethnic tensions or tin-foil-hat paranoia are so intense that people riot and burn entire villages. People are still civil, and you can deal with anyone just fine, especially if you don't bring up politics; and even then the worst you can expect is a heated exchange over barbeque.

It doesn't really matter what anybody's opinion is anyway. If mxleader goes there, he'll need to make the best of it in his situation, and we should be trying to help him with that. Phoenix gets decent ratings for creating new jobs and hiring, better than average. So it's not a bad place to try to find work. And it's still a respectably sized city, so there will be things to do. It's not like moving to a small town in the countryside where there's just one bar you don't want to be going into anyway.

Phoenix might not be bad if you're married, happy to live in the suburbs, and enjoy outdoor desert recreation. It helps if you like SW/Mexican culture. Personally, I could not deal with 3-4 months a year of living in an oven, and the lack of trees would be hard for me to get used to.

I don't think I could live in NYC either. I enjoy visiting occasionally because there is a lot to see and do and the pizza is good, but I wouldn't want to live there. My impression is that the people tend to be pushy and rude, have a somewhat insular New York centric attitude, and seem to stick within their cliques so it would be a hard place to make friends. It also seems a bit dingy and run down and just gives me the vibe of a city past its prime.

I could maybe see myself living in Los Angeles, but the lack of public transportation is a major downside.

There are many good points so far. I guess I would be bothered by the racism a bit. I don't personally have to worry much about that because I'm a tall white dude but my wife is of Mexican descent. Oddly enough my father in law, who's a LA Mexican transplant is as racist against Mexicans as many white folk. I do love Mexican food and my favorite book is Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey so I'd probably feel at home in some ways. My biggest worry is the school system and the piss-poor ratings Arizona has. I worry about some of the fucked up Arizona ideas getting into my young daughter's head. I am totally down with the gun toting attitude and freedom Arizona law allows for. Of course if I land a decent job soon here in the greate PNW we'll end up staying and if we can't sell our house.

Quote Originally Posted by mxleader View Post
    fucked up Arizona ideas

verbose douchebag
    Say what you like about Tony, at least he's consistent.

My biggest worry is the school system and the piss-poor ratings Arizona has.
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, I finished HighSchool in Arizona and was a straght-A student, did well on AP and got some good college scholarships

Yakoob: I'm not saying that it's impossible to do well in school and go off to college and be successful in Arizona. My daughter is pretty smart for her age and is attending a Montessori school so unless we can afford a similar school while living in AZ I think she may suffer academically. I guess if my wife and I can push her along and help her out, unlike my parents, she will do well and maybe go off to college. I suffered through public schools here in Washington and after serving in the Navy I eventually earned a BA from the UW so maybe she'll do well and maybe she won't. I suppose it's really up to parenting though. My wife thinks private schools are the only way to go but I have to remind her that a friend of mine went to public schools in Tacoma WA and he attended Stanford and is now an engineer for Tesla Motors. I guess I'm being overprotective of my daughter and I don't really want to move to Arizona quite yet, but my wife really wants to for her job and the heat. I'm actually looking forward to the historical aspect of Arizona, the new photographic opportunities and the outdoors.

That's one good thing I can say about that region: if you love outdoors photography you're going to find a lot to do. There's also some interesting road trips available if you head up to Colorado or over to California.

If you weren't both working I'd actually suggest homeschooling. Sure it get's a rap of being for "religious nutjobs" but simply using their methods doesn't mean you have to be one yourself. The most academically successful kids in my class were all homeschooled and a few were extremely sharp socially, credit going to their parents for keeping them very involved in community activities throughout their childhood.

Your concerns may be justified about the schools. This is coming from someone who got a perfect 800 on his math SAT, and I spent a year at a top 5 engineering school with "Tech" in the name. The academic demands from a top engineering school are nothing to sneeze at and it is unlikely that a public education will prepare her well enough. Here's the caveat: my high school time was split between a prestigious private, Catholic high school and public school. The difference in the academics is a lot narrower than you would expect, and the differences came down mostly to the socioeconomic bracket that the students find themselves in. In practice the only real benefit is network...super elite, Northeastern prep schools excepted.

My experience was that social sciences are impaired by the contemporary preference for soft, SJW-friendly literature over classical literature whereas math is impaired by the fact that most high schools(both public and private) adhere pretty strictly to standardized testing schedules.

I don't think it matters in either case as much as you think. What's going to help much more is to send her to any local college classes that she can take for advanced credit. In most regions high schools have programs that allow their best students to do that.

edit: full disclosure, I've been all over the education system. I've done private school and public high school. For university it was both the aformentione top 5 engineering school and a state school that is unranked but has an excellent reputation in the profession it prepares people for. I'm about to go back to school and am currently deciding between two full time MBA programs, one is a regionally strong top 20 program and the other is an Ivy League school (outside top 10 ranking wise).
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 1st Apr 2015 at 12:47.

I do love Mexican food
    Ironically, there is no good Mexican food to be had in Phoenix.

I moved out there about a week before my Mexican co-worker did, and warned him that there was no good Mexican food to be found, and he said that he'd heard that, but was going to try and find some. A year later when we all got laid off the subject came up again (because most of us who transplanted from California were happy to be able go back, in large part because food in general in Phoenix is pretty shitty) and he said "you know, I'd heard that there wasn't any good Mexican food in Phoenix, and I didn't believe it. But I've gone to a bunch of different places, and everybody was right: there is no good Mexican food in Phoenix"

While I wouldn't be caught dead moving to Phoenix, I know if I had to move there I sure wouldn't find many of these posts encouraging. We're supposed to be finding reasons in support of moving to Phoenix, even if they're 150% bullshit. Things like "the food there sucks" and "homeschooling is better than homeopathy" don't count.

Still waiting for one of you to say "APRIL FOOOOOLZ...."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast