TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thief Gold Remastered Movies

Thief Gold Remastered Movies v2 + Bonus (updated 11-10-2018)

This is Thief Gold movies, heavy filtered and resized. Designed specifically for NewDark engine with its ffmpeg support.
    Version 2 + Bonus (updated 11-10-2018)

Version 2
    Improvements in quality:
    -resizing from 320x240 to 640x480 using nnedi3 filter
    -fps conversion from 15 to 30 fps using InterFrame2 AviSynth plugin for smoother playback
    -old avi container, but with x264 codec with high quality settings and mp3 for audio
    -removing dithering
    -antialiasing for pixelated lines
    -noise reduction
    -sound remastered by Child Of Karras:
    1. Simple resampling to CD quality (44 kHz, 16 bit, Stereo). I wasn't sure whether to pick 44 kHz or 48 kHz. 44 kHz would be simple doubling of the original sample rate (22 kHz) and thus avoiding round-off errors, but 48 kHz would be native sample rate of most gaming sound cards and thus direct sound...
    2. Noise removal based on a shaped dither noise, similar to the one they used in the original downgrading process
    3. Frequency restortion using Acoustica's built-in tools.

I managed to improve quality over the old release by using newer filters, fps conversion and avc codecs instead of asp. Also, I was able to cut the filesize in half, so it is 435 Mb now, mostly like the original movies. Because of codec efficiency and using mp3 instead of pcm.

I have them working fine on my installation of Thief (with TFix), so feel free to use and redistribute

Bonus Movies (11-10-2018)
    I uploaded remastered files from the original Thief: The Dark Project
    INTRO.avi
    B10.avi
    CREDITS.avi

All remastered like I did with the Thief Gold Movies (filtered 640x480, 30fps etc). Intro different from the Thief Gold version only in the name of the game at the end of the movie. B10 has more changes. Credits completely different.

Also I included filtered version of Making of Thief 2 (filtered 720x536 mkv) that was on the Thief Gold second CD. It also comes with the Thief 2 gog.com release.

I do not have remastered sound for this files so they use original audio. Except for Intro, witch uses remastered audio from Thief Gold Intro

Download link
    http://ge.tt/2jfUe5F2/v/0?c for Thief Gold Remastered Movies v2
    http://ge.tt/1RIzwfs2 for Thief Gold Remastered Movies (Bonus movies)

Some new comparsion screenshots (old/new). As always, from Intro

There are some differences between screenshots because it is hard to hit the same frame in player due to fps differences. But in real movie frames are not different

Some MediaInfo
    General
    Complete name : C:\11\MOVIES\INTRO.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 35.3 MiB
    Duration : 2mn 8s
    Overall bit rate : 2 299 Kbps
    Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.3 | www.virtualdub-fr.org || (build 2550/release)
    Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2550/release

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 15 frames
    Codec ID : h264
    Bit rate : 2 094 Kbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 30.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.227
    Stream size : 32.1 MiB (91%)
    Writing library : x264 core 146 r2538kMod 121396c
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=15 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=tesa / subme=11 / psy=1 / fade_compensate=0.80 / psy_rd=1.00:0.15 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / fgo=2 / bframes=16 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=1 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=17.5000 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=14000 / vbv_bufsize=14000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=3:1.00

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Mode : Joint stereo
    Mode extension : MS Stereo
    Codec ID : 55
    Codec ID/Hint : MP3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 2.94 MiB (8%)
    Alignment : Split accross interleaves

P.S. I have plans on filtering Thief 2 movies. Witch resolution does the fixed engine supports? Never mind, I found the answer - it's 640x480.
    So the only reason to create movies for Thief 2 is to convert fps from 15 to 30, filter image and resample sound. Thief 2 movies are already 640x480.
    Last edited by Akven; 18th Nov 2018 at 14:24. Reason: Making of

P.P.S. Nowadays maybe there is some point to refilter movies from scratch one more time end encode them with HQ x264 due to new engine possibilities. And even to a large resolution if possible.
    But I don't know if it is necessary.

Zombified
    640*480 is still the max the engine supports.

...Did you guys just steal my idea or is it too much of a coincidence?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Loup View Post
    Mmmmmm, i shalt think about that. Maybe i'll go to Darkfate, use the Google Traductor and make a zip file that contains a load of good mods from there. There's plenty of mods like ENB Series Thief which was never even heard of, but these exist and works correctly, even in the demo versions for the most part. But first i'm thinking about remaking the cutscenes of the demo versions of Thief 1 and 2, it would look like something LIKE this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ssOR0qmlg

Quote Originally Posted by Akven View Post
    P.P.S. Nowadays maybe there is some point to refilter movies from scratch one more time end encode them with HQ x264 due to new engine possibilities. And even to a large resolution if possible.
    But I don't know if it is necessary.
    Cutscenes does work in HD, but the cutscenes get really slow and the sound rapes your ear. In short, it gets slow. Bam. Self explanatory much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Loup View Post
    ...Did you guys just steal my idea or is it too much of a coincidence?
    This work was made by me back in 2012. I just corrected fourcc codes for new release.
    And before some guy from ttlg made something alike (but with lesser resolution).

And we have absolutely different ways of doing.
    You recreating Thief logo in some video editor using new art and so on.
    I just took old game movies and re-sized and filtered them in Avisynth using some Avisynth scripts for them to not look like a bunch of dithered pixels on modern monitors.

And of course I cannot change 15 fps since it was original fps. There are ways of doing it with some interpolation, but I do not thing it is a good idea.

I did try frame interpolation with Final Cut Pro X and I thought it looked pretty neat in 25 fps.

Also, if we remaster videos as a real project I'm willing to contribute by remastering the audio part the way I did the sound enhancement pack.

Ok, it would be nice.
    I could try interpolate fps and refilter videos.
    By I need to know which resolutions, codecs and formats NewDark supports.
    Because we can achieve better quality and fewer size with avc codecs instead of asp. I see x264 as a variant.
    But I don't know the exact details for Thief, I am not such a fan.

The videos look great! One minor nitpick would be that the effects of the filters are noticeable around the edges of the font, but that's only if you know the originals by heart or view them side by side.

By I need to know which resolutions, codecs and formats NewDark supports.
    The release notes for NewDark lists the replacement of the original video player library with one based on FFMpeg. This might suggest modern resolutions, formats and broad codec support. Not sure if it's a replacement with limited capabilities, though.

Sound remastering sounds great as well, considering the various things you've done with Thief's sounds so far, Child Of Karras!
    Last edited by mensch; 2nd Apr 2015 at 07:11.

i wasent a fan of thief gold missions,compared to first thief,but the movies are pretty much the same,except for 2 more added in gold version,i would love to see the completed set,let me know ,thank you

i ment a streaming link,i only download fan missions

Ok, I tried to play 1280x960 resolution in NewDark - and it seems to play fine. So I think there is no resolution limit in NewDark anymore.

I managed to create 720x536 resized and filtered movies with 30 fps. Also using x264 in avi container for better quality.
    I'm running tests for now.
    NewDark plays them fine.

When I'll finish tests, I'll upload Intro for example.
    720x536 is enough IMHO, because I need to resize image from original 320x240. And filter cannot add details from nothing, if we would use bigger resolution. And 720x536 just fits into standard SD video.

It would be nice if Child Of Karras could remaster audio tracks.
    But I would like to finish my tests first

Zombified
    anything beyond 640*480 gets scaled back as far as I know - the proper way of creating a widescreen cutscene is to make it 640*480 letterboxed, and then let NewDark crop it (cam_ext.cfg setting crop_movies).

also, as mentioned for quite a few times now, the only way of making T1 cutscenes widescreen is to either stretch them, or cut some parts away. both options are evil.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    anything beyond 640*480 gets scaled back as far as I know - the proper way of creating a widescreen cutscene is to make it 640*480 letterboxed, and then let NewDark crop it (cam_ext.cfg setting crop_movies).

also, as mentioned for quite a few times now, the only way of making T1 cutscenes widescreen is to either stretch them, or cut some parts away. both options are evil.
    No. It was true for old Dark engine and old methods of getting it work on new computers (DDFix and so on).
    But NewDark version from TFix does not have this problem.
    I tried resizing Intro to 1280x960 - and it do not scale back ingame as if was in old Dark (I tried this in old Dark 2 years ago). It's just fits screen properly.
    So I will resize Intro as an example and upload it for tests.
    And I do not intend on making widescreen movies from 4:3.

Well, here is Intro
    http://ge.tt/7T3yb0E2/v/0?c
    30 fps, 720x536, x264 codec in avi container
    To test with NewDark and to compare betweeen old and filtered versions.

I will make example screenshots tomorrow I hope.
    Last edited by Akven; 7th Apr 2015 at 12:43.

Zombified
    No.
    you actually made me double check - and yeah, it's still 640*480. unless you've got some information that I don't.

ZylonBane
    I'd just like to point out that these videos are NOT "remastered" in the typical sense of the word. Remastering is when you go back to higher-quality original source material and generate a new master copy. All that's been done here is the same old low-res, low-bitrate videos have been scaled and filtered.

zylon with that said who has the originals? ion storm? or the canada company that made the remake? or some other company?

i am talking about originals for theif 1/gold/2 would be nice to see then done in best possible quality

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    zylon with that said who has the originals? ion storm? or the canada company that made the remake? or some other company?

i am talking about originals for theif 1/gold/2 would be nice to see then done in best possible quality
    The originals probably no longer exist. Looking Glass is gone, Ion Storm is gone.

If anyone would know, it would probably be Dan Thron from Rustmonkey, the company that made them. Maybe he still has them backed up on a drive somewhere. If so, it would be pretty awesome to get hold of them and re-export them.

you actually made me double check - and yeah, it's still 640*480. unless you've got some information that I don't.
    I triple checked. And I can't find any problems. What Thief engine version do you use?
    I have 2 computers:
    1. 1280x1024 monitor. Fresh gog.com Thief installation, TFix 1.20a, Thief 1 Sound FX Enhancement, TG Subtitles Patch, Thief Enhancement Pack 2.0 Alpha
    And my reencoded movies. Plays fine.
    2. 1680x1050 monitor. Fresh gog.com Thief installation, TFix 1.20a, my movies.
    No problems.

Here is ingame screenshots during Intro and 1st mission

I remember old problem in Dark engine when movies get very strange fragmented scale if they was in higher resolution.
    But I do not see this problem anymore.

Also, I completed filtering all the movies. It's 678 Mb. 720x536 30 fps.
    Now I need remastered audio. Also I think we can compress audio to some aac or ac3 from pcm, so we could get lesser file size with similar quality. But I need to check it first if ffmpeg correctly plays them in NewDark.

And people please test Intro movie. Do you have any complains or suggestions??

P.S. Yes, of course this is not some remastered video in the meaning of this word. Just heavy filtering and encoding. But no one have the real originals and I don't think they will be available until we build the time machine.
    I'll upload more comparison screenshots soon.
    P.P.S. Child Of Karras, your move.
    P.P.P.S. Maybe I'll filter Thief 2 movies in time, but I didn't finished my Thief Gold walkthrough

Ok, screenshots.
    Three rows:
    Original 320x240 | Original upscaled to 720x536 | Filtered video
    But check this - I upscaled middle original pictures using Photoshop and its up-scaling algorithms (quite good). In realtime up-scaled video quality would be much worse. Dithering and blocks all over the picture.

Zombified
    I'm not saying it will not play the videos, I'm saying that going beyond 640*480 is pointless as the video will get scaled back.

I'm not saying it will not play the videos, I'm saying that going beyond 640*480 is pointless as the video will get scaled back.
    Mmm...so it takes video, scale it back to 640x480 and when render it ingame and stretch to fit monitor, am I right?
    720x576 -> 640x480 -> 1650x1050
    In this order? How could it be tested?
    Now I think I understand. I will re-filter movies once again tomorrow. Not a big deal.

Zombified
    pretty much.

ok i just messaged dan thron on facebook and linked him to this board,also asked if he had oringals,lets have hope he posts or replys to me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast