TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Deus Ex (4): Mankind Divided

Moderator and Priest
    From what I've heard, Vulkan and DX12 are so closely related, both being based heavily off of Mantle, that barring a few niggling details here and there, you could effectively say they're the same API. Though the jump to Vulkan over OGL might've netted me more gains relative to doing the same in games that use the far more optimized DX11 to DX12.

Though I couldn't say that, in the case of the former, the performance differences were HUGE. I think I averaged about 3-5 FPS more on Vulkan.

Chakat sex pillow
    They may share the same feature sets, but they're non-trivially different codebases, for the simple reason that Vulkan was based off of Mantle and shares its codebase, and DX12 is a separate API that came from a retooling of DX11; plus, as usual, it was designed to plug into Win10 only.

The performance differences for Doom are mostly from async compute. You'll see more gains with AMD, and to some extent, on nVidia's Pascal chips.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Gavin Dunne, fuck yeah!
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 4th Sep 2016 at 21:42.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ‘System Rift’ DLC launches September 23

In Deus Ex: Mankind Divided – System Rift, you will re-unite with Frank Pritchard, Adam’s friend and former colleague at Sarif Industries, and assist him in hunting down information on the mysterious Santeau Group. Desperate to get more information, Pritchard targets one of the most secure data banks ever created – the Palisade Blade. In agreeing to help, Adam may also be able to uncover hints as to who the illuminati really are.
    Cut content for DLC?...I never asked for this...but please keep supporting these guys with pre-orders, day 1 purchases, and make sure to add that season pass!

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Cut content for DLC?...I never asked for this.
    Where's your proof that this is the case?

Probably the fact that it's coming out so soon and is another Palisade break in. Probably a new branch of Palisade, though.

Pretty sure it's not the DLC that was cut for DLC. Insiders report the entire game was outright trilogized.
    ...but please keep supporting these guys...
    I would pay far more than the asking price for more Deus Ex like the main game. If splitting the game up to get more funds keeps them in business, eh, maybe that's okay.

Although really, how many times are Adam's augs going to get reset?

Seriously though, have you guys played desperate measures? It was very obviously and frustratingly chopped out of the game for no reason except to add a preorder incentive, and it really should've been integrated into the main game - the way they set it up was incredibly dumb and makes it very obvious that it was once in there. If the other dlc is anything like that, that's a problem.

Frak, I just hit the "save bug". It goes into "Save temporarily unavailable" mode permanently. Going to a shop didn't fix it like some people say. I don't have lots of saves like other people. Hope a restart fixes it, although I can't even seem to quit, game hung trying to load the main menu.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 5th Sep 2016 at 14:25.

I'm glad I didn't buy the season pass and I'm probably not going to buy the DLC. But I would have paid extra to extend the actual game by 2 missions. If the DLC consists of missions that were carved out of the main game, I don't want to play them separately afterward.

Has anyone found the grenade launcher? I've seen ammo scattered about for it, but no sign on the weapon itself. Doesn't appear to be a rocket launcher this time either, though I like the unique weapons they've hidden about. Makes treasure hunting all the more worth while.

Do you remember the police van that is partially blocking an underpass near the center of the Davny district? When you first come across it, the cops are arresting some random guy and he's pleading innocent. I found the grenade launcher in that van after remote hacking it's alarm. If you're still in your first visit to Prague, get it there. Just stay out of sight of the cops when you do. I sold it to Tars to free up inventory before I had a chance to use it. If you're past that, there's another in a weapon locker in GARM. I don't think I've seen any merchants selling it.

Walked right by it, should have been paying more attention. Thanks

:edit:

I just played through the Desperate measures DLC. Took about 30-45 minutes, I got through without any alarms or even knockouts. Seemed a tad easy given that you start off with 15 praxis kits. The level design was top notch, felt well fleshed out, but I don't see why it had to be put outside the campaign. The two main criticisms of the previous DX were firstly the Boss fights, and secondly the DLC being stand alone, both of which were addressed in the GOTY edition, so why take a step back from there? The game didn't feel cut short because this mission wasn't included, but it would have been nice to keep the narrative flow by inserting it into the main game.
    Last edited by driver; 6th Sep 2016 at 12:00.

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Davny district
    the supposed Czech language in this game makes me cringe, and I'm not even a native speaker. one would expect Eidos to do a little better than google translate.

Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    Walked right by it, should have been paying more attention. Thanks

:edit:

I just played through the Desperate measures DLC. Took about 30-45 minutes, I got through without any alarms or even knockouts. Seemed a tad easy given that you start off with 15 praxis kits. The level design was top notch, felt well fleshed out, but I don't see why it had to be put outside the campaign... The game didn't feel cut short because this mission wasn't included, but it would have been nice to keep the narrative flow by inserting it into the main game.
    Agreed. When we first heard about it, I figured it was going to be the same kind of thing as the "Tong's Rescue" extra mission from DX:HR. They managed to include that within the main game without any issues, so I was surprised to find that Desperate Measures was kept as a separate thing.

DirectX 12 support, in latest patch...

PC Patch notes for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patch build 545.4

We have just released another PC patch for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, v1.4 build 545.4_P5. This patch focusses on critical issues that were reported by users during the last weeks after release.
    This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

The following fixes are in this patch:
    - Fixed a freeze that happened for some players during the subway loading scene.
    - Fix for issue where massive stalls would occur in Prague.
    - Fixed issue where players could no longer save when they ran out of Steam Cloud space. (When the player runs out of space, the oldest saves will now be removed from the Steam Cloud. They will NOT be deleted and are still available from disk. They will remain present in your in-game ‘load game’ list.
    - Improved shadow behaviour in the distance when Contact Hardening Shadows is turned on.
    - Fixed issue where tutorial messages could stay/re-appear on-screen after completing the tutorial.
    - Fixed an issue where players could lose input control when hacking certain computers.
    - Fixed various UI issues.

Release of DirectX 12 support in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided:

As of today, users are also able to utilize the awaited DirectX 12 Graphics API. To activate this you are required to do the following:
    Within your Steam Library, right-click on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
    Select ‘properties’ from the context menu and navigate to the Beta tab.
    From the dropdown menu, select dx12_preview then close the window.

After the game has downloaded the DirectX 12 supported build you can then toggle DirectX 12 from either the launcher window or from the Display options within the game.
    Note that DirectX 12 requires a restart of the game if (de-)activated from within a running Deus Ex: Mankind Divided game session.

o WARNING: Using the DirectX 12 API can offer better performance on some systems, however, it will not be beneficial on all.
    o Multi-GPU is not yet supported in this patch.
    o If you encounter problems with DirectX 12, we recommend turning it off again. There are no visual or gameplay differences between the two DirectX versions.
    o As always, make sure that your drivers are up to date.

Known DirectX 12 issue:
    - There is a known bug that causes some very high end cards to regress relative to DirectX 11. This bug is being addressed by the development team.

While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on older versions, we have made a Beta available on Steam, v1.0_build524.6, v1.0_build524.7, v1.1_build524.10, v1.2_build524.15 and v1.3_build524.17 that can be used to switch back to previous versions.

We will keep monitoring for feedback and will release further patches as it seems required. We always welcome your feedback!
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/337000...5574535318768/

So I have an issue with talking to the guy who I can sell Breach Software to where I can't exit the conversation. It just pauses awkwardly on his face when the camera should break away back into first person.
    Any help?

I've had that on a few conversations, even going a step further and having my entire machine shutdown suddenly. I've managed to get around it by skipping through the conversation by hammering the spacebar. Not an elegant fix, but it seems to do the job.

I did try that and it didn't work. So far I'm just avoiding him.

Well, I finished it in about 40hrs. Possibly the most refined gameplay of any DX game and the level design was excellent. But the story was by far the worst of any of them and it was stretched extremely thin, with basically no development of its main themes or characters and a very abrupt ending. I'm going to go as far as saying the plot straight up sucked. So that combined with all the corporate bullshit means I don't think I liked the game as much as HR despite the lack of outsourced boss battles and better level design.

To expand on that a bit - this game was much longer than HR. 38hr 1st MD playthrough vs 26 for HR. But it didn't feel longer because the plot was stretched so thin, often in a fillery way.

I think one of the crucial elements of a DX plot is the feeling of excitement you get from slowly unravelling a conspiracy and getting deeper and deeper into it. You really don't get that here. Everyone is unlikeable and untrustworthy from the beginning - there's no development of the relationships between characters or the characters themselves, and nothing really changes. You don't even get the standard DX bit of learning the organization you work for is bad and striking off on your own - you know they're bad from the start, and you stay with them the whole time. The only big character change comes in a post-credits scene. So very little happens - basically, you've got 2 terrorist attacks framing the game and the introduction of all the major players from the original game, and that's it.

And the way it's stretched out doesn't make sense sometimes - like, why have you break into the bank twice? Samizdat could've been integrated into the main plot and had a much bigger role, with both breaking happening simultaneously, but the game fails to really flesh out any of its themes and relegates that whole arc to side missions. Most egregiously, this segregated world is bad, but why not have that ever effect Adam? He's got some sort of special agent pass so that he's basically exempt, but they really could have used that to the plot's advantage instead of basically making it background noise. The only effect on him is the occasional annoyance of being stopped if you walk through the wrong gate. And seemingly large plot events like Chikane selling you out are relegated to cryptic emails that you can easily miss and Adam pretends he never read if you do find them.

So what we're left with is a bunch of excellently designed levels with slightly tweaked HR gameplay but a paper thin plot that ends incredibly abruptly anyway (which might not have mattered at all had the rest of the game been well written and actually explored the potential of its ideas), an awful f2p style mode that's dependent on microtransactions, and a DLC mission that's been arbitrarily chopped out of the game despite providing what seems like crucial plot info (but is never followed up anywhere else in the story). I think it would've helped the flow to have that extra story mission early in the game, since it felt like the plot totally paused once I entered Prague and got wrapped up in side missions (and Ruzicka was so brief). The side missions had the most interesting writing in the game, but the story missions had the best level design and were the most fun to play (though the Prague hub really was well designed). It also could have used an extra hub to make things at least feel like they're moving a little bit with the snail's pace plot. Returning to Prague 3x did not help that one bit, despite martial law imposed the last time.

Don't get me wrong, I really loved the game, and I don't even mind it being chopped in half, because hey, more DX for us! I just wish they'd written what plot they included a bit more compellingly.

And I'm not saying that HR wasnt guilty of a lot of this, as the ending took me by surprise when it seemed like it was building up to some sort of epic climax based on its themes and instead ended with zombies and a jealous guy, but it was much more involved and at least had a real arc.

They really need to stop with the cartoon villains in these games. Marchenko was marginally better than that boss trio from HR but not by much - still not fleshed out at all.
    Last edited by froghawk; 9th Sep 2016 at 14:11.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I'm really surprised the Steam rating for this game is still so low - hopefully EM or SE will take it to heart. Between the pre-order BS, micro transactions (and specifically hiding them from reviewers), and the obvious cut content for DLC, I can't bring myself to pick this up at full price and support these guys. I'm sure I'll play it eventually, but at the moment I guess I'm taking a stand. I know, lame right? But I have too many other good game to play at the moment.

Having finished the game, I'm not at all surprised it's still so low. Definitely still quite buggy and too many problems on too many fronts to ignore. Which is a shame, since the level design and the world they created are so damn great and it's so much fun to play.

Microtransactions are a non-issue in the campaign. Breach mode seems like an opportunity lost, but it's just a bundled extra so I wouldn't boycott Mankind Divided just because the free extra game they bundled with it turned out not to so free.

I've put about 40 hours in and I'm not at the end yet, but I'm feeling the same as froghawk about the plot. It's pretty average for a video game but doesn't live up to the standard set by previous Deus Ex games.

The level design and world detail is rich and outstanding. Hengsha blew me away when I first played HR, but Mankind Divided blew me away again. From the moment I landed in Dubai it was like wow. It carries the game for a while and at first I was enjoying it more than HR. The hours ticked away exploring levels and learning my way around Prague doing side quests. But after 40 hours of exploring and questing and systematically clearing levels of bad guys, I'm starting to get an empty feeling like I've been playing a Bethesda game instead of Deus Ex.

Also, Jensen has sort of detached himself from the world in this game and that makes it harder to feel immersed. When you start, he has an apartment in Prague but it doesn't feel like he lives there. The people on the street aren't interesting to talk to. He gets paid by TF29 but he's not really part of the team. He doesn't really have attachments to anybody. Human Revolution was very different. Detroit was Jensen's town and Sarif was his home base and he still has feelings for Megan Reed. There was a foundation for the plot that Mankind Divided lacks.

There's a lot of heavy handed writing. I get that they're trying to make the game socially relevant by relating it to apartheid and BLM, but it feels caricatured. It turns out that racism against people with prosthetics just isn't a compelling basis for a Deus Ex plot. I think Eidos Montreal painted themselves into a corner somewhat with the way they ended Human Revolution. They had to deal with the aftermath of the aug incident in some way. But I also think they could have done something more interesting and creative with it.

So, overall I haven't enjoyed it as much as Human Revolution. But I've enjoyed it more than anything else that's been released since then. So it's worth $60 to me anyway.

I don't think the Steam rating is very real. The rating was driven down by a whole lot of bandwagon bashing by users who hadn't played the game or were very early into it. It will naturally go up as more people play and finish the game.
    Last edited by heywood; 9th Sep 2016 at 16:14.

Spot on with the bethesda comparison - the detail is incredibly engrossing through golem city, but a bit after that it starts to give me that same empty feeling I get from Bethsoft. Nowhere near as bad, of course, but plot momentum and new locations are what keeps DX from entering that territory, I think.

The aug/racism comparison is bizarre because augs are not a race and most of them chose to replace their body parts. I always thought xmen was an awkward prejudice story since mutants are literally better than everyone else, but at least they didnt choose to be mutants. So it just comes off as a bit tone deaf to me. But I think it still could have been interesting and worked for DX if they had given Jensen more of a personal investment in the story and made the apartheid more than a backdrop.

I hope they eventually re-release this game as one giant game with the next one, with all the dlc properly integrated (unlike HR directors cut with the immersion breaking title card), all the bug fixes (unlike HR DC which was somehow based on vanilla), and an osx version. Removing breach, the store, and drm would be a nice touch, but I can ignore those easily enough if they properly provide the complete experience.
    Last edited by froghawk; 9th Sep 2016 at 16:28.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516 LastLast