TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Deus Ex (4): Mankind Divided

The review embargo ended today, and the first batch of reviews have been posted. A round-up of reviews with links can be found here:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/08/19/deu...ll-the-scores/

They are generally positive, averaging numerically about 8/10, but not quite as glowing as Human Revolution. A general impression from the lukewarm reviews is that it's more of the same.

The only review that matters is up:

http://www.thejimquisition.com/deus-...-hottest-take/

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    A general impression from the lukewarm reviews is that it's more of the same.
    It's pretty much what the RPS review states. An expanded, more open ended version of what came before. Since we're on TTLG, you could say it's like comparing Thief 2 to Thief.

Mankind Divided is a new version of one of my favourite games of all time and free from the execution problems that hampered that last iteration. The levels are bigger and prettier. There are no dumb boss fights. It gives you slightly more agency over its story. The new abilities are nice, even if they donít dramatically alter the flow of the game. There still arenít that many games like Deus Ex around and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is an excellent game like Deus Ex.
    I can live with that.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    I feel bad for anyone who feels compelled to play games the absolute moment they're released. Relax people, it's not going anywhere. At least wait for the first patch. Even better, the inevitable GOTY/Director's Cut release with all the DLC built in.
    Do you think even half of us here have enough patience and maturity to do something like that?

I know I don't. I want Manky, and I want it NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Since we're on TTLG, you could say it's like comparing Thief 2 to Thief.
    So it's an expandalone. I can live with that.

I actually agree with ZB as far as having to play things immediately goes, but as I get older I'm finding fewer and fewer games that are really compelling (or possibly I'm finding more games that are really compelling, but even more that aren't) and when something comes out that I'm fairly certain I will like it's not difficult to drop everything and dive into it.

GMG codes are out. Preload is available on Steam. IIRC, preload is a fancy word for foreplay.

"You must agree with this EULA"
    "EULA could not be loaded."
    "I Agree"

Lol. Wonder how that would fly in court?

Aren't EULAs basically like non-compete agreements or NDAs i.e. they basically never stand up in court?

Moderator and Priest
    EULAs live in a weird grey area legally. Provided the writers don't throw wild, off the wall stuff in there, like having legal rights to your first born if you click agree, they can hold up in court. While software companies love wording and treating them like contracts, the law usually seems them as something more like mutual agreements.

Also, MANKY GETTING LOADED ON UP!
    Last edited by Renzatic; 20th Aug 2016 at 02:39.

Deus Ex 3.5 HERE WE COME

Chakat sex pillow
    I have this game loaded and I can't do anything with it. It's like I bought an instant gratification denial voucher: Valid for One (1) Use of NO TOUCHY UNTIL I'M BLOODY WELL GOOD AND READY.

What am I supposed to do with myself until this arbitrary date swings around, on a weekday no less? Go to the office? Clean the house? Cook food? Bathe!?

This isn't the future I asked for.

But, when you pre-loaded...

You asked for this.

Speaking of which... https://i.redd.it/sg47rd7m0cgx.jpg

There is some irony in an option "I never asked for this" that you must literally ask for. (Indeed, in DX:HR it's a dialog option.)

Sounds like this is suffering from middle-of-a-trilogy syndrome at the very least... http://www.thewrap.com/deus-ex-manki...y-half-a-game/

Moderator and Priest
    That's been the most common complaint I've read about. The gameplay's great, there's a lot to explore, a lot of the side missions are incredible, but it's not much different than Human Revolution, and ends way too abruptly.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 20th Aug 2016 at 23:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    That's been the most common complaint I've read about. ...it's not much different than Human Revolution...
    Oh, no! How will I ever cope with such catastrophe!? Lol. Seriously, eff that complaint. DX:HR came out years ago and there are literally no other games quite like it until now. Meanwhile, the market is all but saturated with yearly releases of various franchises that are in many cases remarkably similar to each other let alone their own iterations. Being too much like DX:HR sounds great to me.

Very much agreed with that.

I am also unconcerned with the cliff hanger ending. I'm assuming the third entry will be about Jensen's failed attempt to take down Bob Page, and they didn't want to get into that just yet....

Having already seen a ton of gameplay including the ending of the game ... the game is visually fantastic (if not as aesthetically striking as DXHR) and will be fun to play, at the very least, if not GOTY material. Then again, I'm a fanboy relentless optimist when it comes to things like this, and I just preordered the game. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm killing the games industry. But I wholly believe I will really like DXMD no matter what, based on what I've seen so far, and hey, I waited for the reviews to drop before preordering.

Based on what I've seen, though, I'm starting to feel like the boss battles will be DXHR Director's Cut all over again - they've promised us that boss fights are much better, but all they'll add will be a nonlethal way to take care of them, like a takedown or something, and a dialogue based method ([SPOIL]killphrase[SPOIL]). Still, I didn't really dislike the DXHR boss battles that much. As a hoarder, I used them as a way to get rid of excess ammo :P

My big complaint, though, is that the game locations will be super limited. From what I've heard, Prague has a few really big districts, and the atmosphere will change throughout the game. That's not too bad. But it's the only city hub, and there will be only four locations outside of Prague, including the Dubai mission in the prologue. And there lies my issue. I liked having multiple city hubs with friendlies and side missions in DXHR. Detroit and Hengsha were big and very markedly different. I'm worried that, despite being that massive and cool and all that, Prague's districts won't differentiate themselves enough to bring that globe-trotting conspiracy-busting feeling that permeated almost every second of DXHR.

Well I'm cleaning up my hard drive to free some space
    I've got 48 hours to go
    Eidos Montreal's preload's all over my face
    I've got 47 hours to go
    Heard they fired Sarif's actor but kept Toufexis
    I've got 46 hours to go
    But nobody asked me if I asked for this
    I've got 45 hours to go

Went to Greenmangaming to save some cash
    I've got 44 hours to go
    Can't wait for the comprehensive day one patch
    I've got 43 hours to go
    Gonna crank up the difficulty until I die
    I've got 42 hours to go
    Gonna augment the shit out of my eyes
    I've got 41 hours to go

LOL

You had me at "cleaning up my hard drive to free some space". I gulped when I saw 55 GB and did the same. Somehow my "250 GB" (really 216 GB) SSD doesn't seem quite adequate anymore. The preload was only 20GB though.

Gkkiller - the review I read said there weren't any boss fights?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Oh, no! How will I ever cope with such catastrophe!? Lol. Seriously, eff that complaint.
    Ain't bothering me none, though it is listed as one of the usual bitching for the sake of bitching complaints. It isn't as "groundbreaking" as HR.

I could understand that being a complaint if DX became a series like Call of Duty, where the formula doesn't get shaken up even after 5 games in a row. But one extra helping of HR with a bit of extra spice added to the mix for some new flavor isn't going to bother me in the least.

Froghawk: There is apparently one fight in the game that could be considered against something that looks sorta like a boss (yo), though I believe it's buried in a side quest, and isn't built for brute force solely like the fights were in HR. You can still stealth and hack your way through it if you want.

How's the movement? I replayed DX: HR this year and felt that, compared to some other games, Adam simply wasn't much fun to move around the levels, and I would've liked to see some light parkour-type stuff. At the very least movement should be fast and sleek and small obstacles shouldn't be a problem with a combination of jumping and mantling. How does getting around feel in the new game?

I don't recall any comments about it in the reviews.

I thought the movement in DX:HR was fine considering it was designed primarily for stealth rather than run & gun. I read a while back that EM was trying to make MD a better shooter, but the reviews say that it plays the same as HR. We'll know after tomorrow.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast