TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: allow snuffing?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, being able to snuff small candles by hand makes a lot of sense.

24 100.00%
  • no, not requiring a water arrow to extinguish a light source is too cheap.

0 0%

Thread: TFix interactive candles - snuffing or no snuffing?

Zombified

TFix interactive candles - snuffing or no snuffing?

so, continuation of this - the interactive candle setup is getting finalized, and I'm having trouble deciding whether to also include snuffing (of the regular, non-hanging candles) or not. so;

snuffing will allow you to extinguish loot candles with the first frob, and take them with the second (also allow you to frob-extinguish lit non loot candles, but not chandeliers and hanging lamps).

or just grab and go, and all lit candles will require a water arrow to extinguish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-w1_CrSqYc

also, note that interactive candles will be completely optional - all those who don't want them can uncheck the option when patching up to get the orig no-flame-light-emitting-unextinguishable-candles behavior.

flame on?
    Last edited by voodoo47; 15th Apr 2015 at 07:49.

I suppose you can't offer three options while patching?

Hand snuffing like in THIEF is probably more realistic.

Zombified
    of course I can. the combination of NewDark, NVScript and dmls is extremely powerful - it is perfectly possible to switch between the snuff and nosnuff mode mid-mission, if desired (but that's really an overkill). the thing is, I need to single out what should be used as default, as most of the users will just use whatever is pre-selected on the mod/enhancement screen.

So this would be set up in the TFix options when you run it?

EDIT: Nevermind read your previous post, silly me. XP

One would assume that if candles are extinguishable by hand that they are also extinguishable with water arrows. So the frob extinguish option seems like a subset of the water extinguish option. Also, wouldn't the default option be the way candles worked originally (assuming you want to keep the default close to vanilla gameplay)?

That could be done with two checkboxes representing three options:
    -- no change (default): checkbox for water extinguish available, checkbox for frob extinguish greyed out
    -- water extinguish only: checkbox for water extinguish option checked, checkbox for frob extinguish available
    -- water and frob extinguish: checkbox for water extinguish option checked, checkbox for frob extinguish checked
    Last edited by Starker; 13th Apr 2015 at 22:28.

Zombified
    snuffable candles are also extinguishable by water arrows, of course (in fact, the snuff is just a small water poke, think Garrett licking his fingers and squashing the tip of the wick). unless there is massive outcry for making snuff a sub-option of extinguish (or the poll ends with many votes distributed very evenly), I'm planning to go with just one final option.

the (mod screen) default is what represents my vision of final Thief (platinum or diamond if you want, or whatever goes after gold in your vocabulary) - if you want to go closer to vanilla you actually need to deselect everything, and it has been like that since the day TFix got the fancy installer.

Well, then I'd say it's a matter of having something like...

--Interactive Candles *checked*
    ----Snuffable Candles *checked*

...with Snuffable Candles being a sub-option of Interactive Candles, so that if you uncheck Interactive Candles, then Snuffable Candles gets also unchecked.

If it's your vision of what the game should be, it wouldn't really make much sense to not have it checked by default.

Having the candles be snuffable candles makes sense.But I imagine some people are gonna to option to retain vanilla candles or the ability to put them out using water arrows.Knowing next to nothing about programming I have no clue how hard or easy it would be to add different options to the installer like the Sneaky Upgrade does for Thief DS.But if you have to go down only one path then I think Snuffable Candles is the way to go.

I replied yes, since I enjoy that option in The Dark Mod. It's counter-balanced by making
    the act of picking up and dropping the candle potentially noisy though.

Zombified
    in vanilla, you can't put them out with water arrows (or in any other way, for that matter). those who want to retain orig behavior can simply disable the mod. also, there aren't too many normal candles around orig maps, so this can't be exploited too much.

I could make snuffing selectable as an suboption, but it sounds like overkill and I would have to learn some new nsis functions, and I hate that. //ok, no - the isLoot metaprop must be removed from the loot candle archetype for snuffing to work, and this can't be done via dml, so I would have to maintain two separate gamesys..es? whatever the plural of gamesys is. anyway, while that is also doable, it's not worth the trouble, so no suboptions, at least not for the upcoming release.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 17th Apr 2015 at 03:29.

I think it would be a good addition. It is good to see that Thief lives on.

I like the 1st option, it's more realistic. Keep doing!

Zombified
    it's already done, if you haven't noticed.

Builder bless you!

Having the option to snuff them if one wishes seems appropriate. This would leave the water arrows for torches and such. Especially since there's been so much work into creating a realistic interactive environment.