TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: T1 FM - Calendra's Cistern - Newdark Re-release - 2015-08-08

I feel your pain, bro. I was going to recommend uninstalling both Thief Gold and T2. Clean all the stray files from your hard disk and defrag the thing. Then re-install both games, using TFix for T1/G and TafferPatcher for T2. Those links point to the latest versions, so there won't be any screw-ups.

DON'T install the games normally and then run TP or TFix; let THEM do the work. And don't change any of the options unless you are certain you know what you're doing. TP will set up and install FMSel for you, also. Once you're done, simply double-click the FMSel icon, locate the directories, and pick your game.

If you're still having problems, it might be a hardware issue you're facing, a low-rent video card being a prime suspect. The newer FMs really tax a lot of machines, unfortunately.

I remember I D/L'd a copy of TG from Steam for a buck-fifty and I couldn't use TFix on it for reasons I've long forgotten.

Southquarter.com/fms
    @downwinder - in regards to your "5 f'ing things" needed to get fan missions running:

darkloader - not needed, as long as you run FMSel (which is included with New Dark)
    t2_v122 - not needed, this is an old version of New Dark
    t2_v123 - not needed, because it is included in both Tafferpatcher and Tfix
    Tafferpatcher - used to update Thief 2 only to the most recent version of New Dark
    Tfix - used to update Thief 1/Gold only to the most recent version of New Dark

So to run this particular mission, you only need one thing in addition to a normal Thief install - Tfix. That's it.

I can see you're frustrated, but I think you're making all of this more complicated than you have to.

@voodoo - Asking him to extract anything isn't going to work - remember he was the guy who couldn't handle unzipping the T2 Unwelcome Guest demo because he didn't want to download 7zip.
    Last edited by Brethren; 8th Aug 2015 at 18:11.

Zombified
    he apparently is able to install/extract FMs, as he has already reported that some of them are working for him in his previous rant topic. I actually remember that T2 demo thing now - though I wish I would not.

anyway, all his pain is self inflicted. while never explicitly confirmed, he probably just downloads everything he can get his hands on and simply dumps it into his game folder (most probably is some very creative way, as TFix should be able to create a valid install from basically any mess as long as the crf files are undamaged, and yet, it apparently doesn't).

will correct a bit of details there - TFix is not able to grab files directly off a cd/dvd, so you will either have to install the game first, or dump the cd contents onto the hdd manually. BUT the last few versions will create the FMsel shortcut properly, just like TP.

I would actually love to get him onto a teamviewer session just to show him that those two clicks are all there is to it, so he could realize his whatever-the-heck-it-is-ness and bloody NOT post his useless rants ever again.

btw, as he already managed to create a valid TFixed TG install (see his previous rant topic), all he really needs to do to get this FM running is to repatch with the latest TFix to get NewDark 1.23 (assuming he did not screw it up completely).
    Last edited by voodoo47; 8th Aug 2015 at 18:51.

going to redo my thief once agian,ty brethrenfor info,what i am going to do it install thief gold/2/tafferpatch and tfix

ok reinstalled thief gold and added t-fix,re got mission and used fm select to play but i still get the old version pop up on fmselect i will try darkloader now to see if that changes anything

on darkloader it shows up as a t2 file so it wont even play on darkloader,and if i install thief 2 it will work but i get black textures

sorry for even posting i am skipping this mission
    Last edited by downwinder; 8th Aug 2015 at 21:21.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Did you use the most recent version of Tfix? Doesn't seem like you did. The most recent version of Tfix is 1.22 (which includes New Dark 1.23, somewhat confusing, I know).

All FMs made with New Dark show up as T2 missions in Darkloader. We've covered this before. There's a way around this, it's been posted several times, but there's a link on how to fix it in the first post of this thread.

You're never going to get T1/TG missions to play correctly using T2, so don't even try.

Zombified
    I still can't decide whether this is sad, or funny - he LITERALLY is unable to properly complete what is basically a ONE step procedure. lets try it one last time;

repatch with the latest TFix

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    don't even try.
    don't worry, he isn't.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 9th Aug 2015 at 01:04.

I love this FM Thanks AntiMatter and all involved for giving it a big fat lovin' revamp - can't wait to play

Haven't played this in years, and this was a wonderful excuse to. Thank you!

Lockpicks soundless

There's a couple of locked doors near the start which the lock picks do not interact with, i.e. they don't even make the "clunk" sound which indicates the lockpicks won't work. Is this just the game's way of telling me those doors can't be picked, or have I got an issue of some sort with the lockpicks? Thanks.

You'll need to be more specific. What doors are those?

IIRC, there is a single door object which is just for decoration. It isn't frobable, and there's nothing behind it. There are plenty of "doors" around that are just terrain textures. They're not objects.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiMatter_16 View Post
    You'll need to be more specific. What doors are those?

IIRC, there is a single door object which is just for decoration. It isn't frobable, and there's nothing behind it. There are plenty of "doors" around that are just terrain textures. They're not objects.
    Both these doors highlight, and make the "clunk" sound when I frob them without deploying the lockpick. I'll go back into the game later to try to describe their locations.

The door of the Old Abbey is one.

Well, I just tested the Abbey doors, and they both work just fine. The Abbey - 6 on the map might not be entirely accurate. The map might indicate the decorative door is the abbey. In the mission, the room brushes around the area with a guard and two doors that lead to the aqueduct and the Weeping Angel courtyard are called the "AbbeyBit".

You aren't using an old save are you? Because saves are not compatible between versions.
    Also, are you using Newdark 1.23? If not, you can either install it manually or use the latest version of Tfix, which (confusingly) is 1.22, IIRC.

Actually, another possibility is you don't have ConVict.osm installed.

Zombified
    do you have Dromed basic toolkit installed by any chance?

I do not have the Dromed toolkit installed.

I do have convict.osm.

I installed the mission not realising I did not have the latest version of New Dark. On starting the game I got the black screen and the message saying I needed the new version. I made no saves. I installed the latest version of TFix (1.22), then restarted the game from scratch, got the lockpick problem. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall the mission?

Well, I just tried the uninstall and reinstall options in FMSel. The lockpick problem is still there.
    Last edited by Marbrien; 10th Aug 2015 at 09:07.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Here's a mirror, btw:

Calendra's Cistern 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    I do not have the Dromed toolkit installed.

I do have convict.osm.

I installed the mission not realising I did not have the latest version of New Dark. On starting the game I got the black screen and the message saying I needed the new version. I made no saves. I installed the latest version of TFix (1.22), then restarted the game from scratch, got the lockpick problem. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall the mission?

Well, I just tried the uninstall and reinstall options in FMSel. The lockpick problem is still there.
    Installing/Uninstalling a FM just extracts it to a folder in .\FMs, so you shouldn't need to do that. I'm honestly stumped as to what's happening. Unless you're trying to play the mission with Thief2 rather than Thief1/Gold.

I guess all I can recommend is uninstalling Thief1/Gold and reinstalling, and applying TFix again. I'm really not sure what could be going on. Do the original missions and other fan missions work?

[Edit]
    Did you install the interactive candles mod? I wonder if it conflicts with my setup. What happens if you install TFix without interactive candles?

Quote Originally Posted by AntiMatter_16 View Post
    Installing/Uninstalling a FM just extracts it to a folder in .\FMs, so you shouldn't need to do that. I'm honestly stumped as to what's happening. Unless you're trying to play the mission with Thief2 rather than Thief1/Gold.

I guess all I can recommend is uninstalling Thief1/Gold and reinstalling, and applying TFix again. I'm really not sure what could be going on. Do the original missions and other fan missions work?

[Edit]
    Did you install the interactive candles mod? I wonder if it conflicts with my setup. What happens if you install TFix without interactive candles?
    I just reran TFix and deselected interactive candles. Got a language check error (which I had before), still unclear what that means. Mission runs as T1 but the lockpick issue still exists.

Original mission you start out without lockpicks. Please suggest another mission I could use as a test.

So far, all I understand about the lockpick issue, is that two doors hilight but don't produce any sound when you click and hold the right mouse button (and I'm presuming the door handle doesn't move). I still don't know which two doors specifically, and I don't know what else works or doesn't work in the mission. Are there any doors that DO work? Such as the back door to the art dealer's house? Could you provide screenshots of the non-working doors?

Any other mission should work to test, so long as it has lockpicks. You first get the lockpicks on the 5th T1 OM.
    You could try the original olddark version of Calendra's Cistern.
    Rigging the Votes has lockpicks and a door you have to pick at the very beginning.
    The Circle of Strain Campaign Newdark Re-release has lockpicks and a few locked doors at the start, and it's treatment was very similar to Calendra's Cistern Newdark re-release.

You mentioned you re-installed TFix, but did you try reinstalling Thief itself? Or did you just re-install TFix on top of itself?

Zombified
    share a save right before the doors in question.

also, no need to deselect the candle mod, it does absolutely nothing unless an orig mission is detected.

//note -the script-t1 included in the archive is the pre-release version, not final.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 10th Aug 2015 at 13:54.

Does the item outside the map worth 25 loot cannot be removed?

Zombified
    I can't possibly imagine why would you need an answer to that question, but here you go - no.

@UmiKaru
    The 25 loot loot outside the world may be involved with the in-game store. I didn't remove it because I didn't want something to break. However, I did correct the loot total, so it is possible to get all loot in the mission.

@Voodoo
    I wasn't aware there was a newer version. Link?
    Anyhow, it's only used to put the "shutupyerdead" script on the M-KnockedOut metaproperty, so knocking out AIs doesn't alert everyone around them.

Zombified
    they are well hidden (had to talk to google really nicely for a few minutes). TFix already installs the final osm, and makes sure anything that will be launched inside its environment will use it (overriding any previous versions that might be lurking in old FMs). shutupyerdead (and a handful of other things) is autoloaded as well.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 10th Aug 2015 at 18:55.

@voodoo47: Sorry, I was just wondering.

Here is a save game from outside one of the frobable locked doors where the lock picks do nothing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/85b59qlwya...e0000.sav?dl=0

I am playing CL on Garrett level.

I tried Rigging The Votes - same problem. So I think it is safe to assume the issue will affect all locked frobable items in CL.

My T1 is the Sold Out edition. A while back this gave rise to problems when upgraded via TFix, but TFix has now been updated to deal with that edition.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast