TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: T1 FM - Calendra's Cistern - Newdark Re-release - 2015-08-08

Well, I loaded up your save, and the Abbey door worked fine with the lockpicks. Given that another mission doesn't work, there must be something wrong with your Thief install. It sounds like scripts (i.e. convict.osm) aren't working/installed. You could try manually dropping T1 convict.osm into your root thief directory.

Also, you could try uninstalling Thief completely, deleting the folder, reinstalling, and repatching with TFix.

If you like, you could zip up your Thief Folder (excluding movies) and PM me a download link and I'll take a look at it.

I've noticed similar things happen with other FMs - doors that will unlock, but no sound. I'll reboot and the sound comes back, only to go out the next time I play. When these things pop up, I just reinstall fresh and things are cool for a while. I think it may be due to some FMs mucking about with scripts, replacing them or corrupting them somehow. Probably a stupid assumption Anyway, the best advice given here is to try a complete reinstall. I've found that works really well with both TG and T2 issues. However, if you have specially tweaked your installation, I can understand why one would be apprehensive.

I haven't tried this new version yet. I think I will do a fresh install on an extra box today and give it a whirl. I tried the earlier version of the FM a few months ago and gave up about 1/2 the way through. I played on expert and was getting my butt kicked. This is a very challenging game. In my opinion, much more than most FMs.

Zombified
    99% sure that whoever has this problem does not have convict.osm installed (very weird, as TFix will install it into the root game folder), or something is preventing it from being loaded properly (evil antivirus?). get it here, and extract it either to the game root folder, or into the OSM folder (TFix should have created this folder, it contains scripts and dmls that will absolutely and undoubtedly override anything else at all occasions), and the problem should be resolved.

running from program files (or other protected folder) maybe?

Thank you! I played Calendra's Cistern twice several years ago (liked it better than Legacy tbh), now I'm replaying it and what can I say, it's truly a classic. The only thing that bothers me a little is the map - maybe it's because of different resolution and/or antialiasing, maybe it was the same in the original, can't remember - anyway, some of the text is hardly readable, as if it got wet in Garrett's pocket

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    99% sure that whoever has this problem does not have convict.osm installed (very weird, as TFix will install it into the root game folder), or something is preventing it from being loaded properly (evil antivirus?). get it here, and extract it either to the game root folder, or into the OSM folder (TFix should have created this folder, it contains scripts and dmls that will absolutely and undoubtedly override anything else at all occasions), and the problem should be resolved.

running from program files (or other protected folder) maybe?
    I just downloaded convict.osm from that link, put it in both the places (it was already there in Thief - same size). No change.

Thief is running in C:\Games\Thief.

I am going to try a reinstall of the game. I have TDP (Sold Out) and TG (Premier Collection). Does is matter which discs I use to reinstall?
    Last edited by Marbrien; 13th Aug 2015 at 03:20.

Quote Originally Posted by bjack View Post
    I've noticed similar things happen with other FMs - doors that will unlock, but no sound. I'll reboot and the sound comes back, only to go out the next time I play. When these things pop up, I just reinstall fresh and things are cool for a while. I think it may be due to some FMs mucking about with scripts, replacing them or corrupting them somehow. Probably a stupid assumption Anyway, the best advice given here is to try a complete reinstall. I've found that works really well with both TG and T2 issues. However, if you have specially tweaked your installation, I can understand why one would be apprehensive.

I haven't tried this new version yet. I think I will do a fresh install on an extra box today and give it a whirl. I tried the earlier version of the FM a few months ago and gave up about 1/2 the way through. I played on expert and was getting my butt kicked. This is a very challenging game. In my opinion, much more than most FMs.
    I think this is a different issue. For me the lockpicks are not interacting at all with the game world, they do not even change size to indicate they are within range of something frobbable.

The convict.osm installed by Dromed Toolkit is quite a bit larger than the original. It apparently causes problems/conflicts with older missions. See this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    The convict.osm installed by Dromed Toolkit is quite a bit larger than the original. It apparently causes problems/conflicts with older missions. See this thread.
    The convict.osm I loaded from the link in post #53 is 1,167 KB. Are you saying that convict.osm is the one from Dromed Toolkit? If so, where can I get hold of a different convict.osm to try instead?

You can get it at Thief: The Circle here.

Quote Originally Posted by ffox View Post
    You can get it at Thief: The Circle here.
    That's exactly the same size as the convict.osm I'm replacing. And it didn't fix the problem.

Zombified
    this is how having no convict (loaded) looks like:

if the osm is physically there, then it's getting blocked upon load. try some random stuff like moving the game into C:\Games\Thief, and renaming thief.exe to tg.exe, also disabling whatever antivirus is running.

i already posted this mission has issues,but all i got was insulted and warned,so best when you hit a mission you cant get working and people start to post to make you look like an idiot,its best to move to the next fan mission,and since no new gameplay i doubt you missing much

lock picks it showed i had was a double set in items,that did nothing,so that mission got some jacked up files.

The problems I am having seem to render all T1/TG FMs unplayable, so I can't simply move on to the next mission; it won't work either!

Having done a little more checking, it seems the problem is actually that nothing in my inventory works at all - compass, readables, lock picks etc.

T2 FMs are working normally, BTW.
    Last edited by Marbrien; 12th Aug 2015 at 16:30.

Sorry for mucking up the waters here. I was referring to the convict.osm for T2.

When you load a T1/G mission into Dromed, does the monolog spit out any errors/warnings? (There's a monolog.txt that's written to the directory.)

Zombified
    those are all symptoms of convict missing or not getting loaded. and you are right, unless this is fixed, any mission that uses convict will not work properly (Song of the Caverns, for example). would like a confirmation that you are experiencing the same thing as displayed on the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    i already posted this mission has issues
    nope, your problem is not related to this particular mission, and if you would try to cooperate, it would probably be fixable. unlike your attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    and people start to post to make you look like an idiot
    people don't have to do anything, you are managing to make yourself look like that just fine, all by yourself.

if you don't want be helped, do everyone a favor and go consider my suggestion for a new hobby that's been posted on the first page, now would you kindly.

anyway, try to copy the TG convict to the OSM folder, edit the gamesys.dml found there and add #script "convict" right under the nvscript line, so the header of the file will look like this:
    Code:
    DML1

//load extra scripts
    #script "script-t1"
    #script "nvscript"
    #script "convict"
    Last edited by voodoo47; 12th Aug 2015 at 17:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    The problems I am having seem to render all T1/TG FMs unplayable, so I can't simply move on to the next mission; it won't work either!

Having done a little more checking, it seems the problem is actually that nothing in my inventory works at all - compass, readables, lock picks etc.

T2 FMs are working normally, BTW.
    Wait? You're playing Thief2 FMs normally?
    Are you trying to Play Calendra's Cistern 2.0c with Thief2?!
    Calendra's Cistern is Thief1/Gold ONLY. It CANNOT work with Thief2.
    Please verify you're playing using Thief1 or Gold.

@Ricebug
    I've posted again in the thread you linked. Please note that multiple versions of Convict are included in the DromEd Basic Toolkit, because it supports Thief1/G and Thief2. Incorrect Convict versions are the result of incorrect installation on the part of the user.

@Downwinder
    Your problems are not the result of the mission, but from incorrectly installing and setting up Thief 1/G. Others have been abusive toward you, because you have been abusive.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiMatter_16 View Post
    Wait? You're playing Thief2 FMs normally?
    Are you trying to Play Calendra's Cistern 2.0c with Thief2?!
    Calendra's Cistern is Thief1/Gold ONLY. It CANNOT work with Thief2.
    Please verify you're playing using Thief1 or Gold.

@Ricebug
    I've posted again in the thread you linked. Please note that multiple versions of Convict are included in the DromEd Basic Toolkit, because it supports Thief1/G and Thief2. Incorrect Convict versions are the result of incorrect installation on the part of the user.

@Downwinder
    Your problems are not the result of the mission, but from incorrectly installing and setting up Thief 1/G. Others have been abusive toward you, because you have been abusive.
    I am playing - or trying to play - CL as a T1/TG mission.

this is how having no convict (loaded) looks like:

if the osm is physically there, then it's getting blocked upon load. try some random stuff like moving the game into C:\Games\Thief, and renaming thief.exe to tg.exe, also disabling whatever antivirus is running.
    This is not quite my situation. For me, the door highlights and makes a clunking sound when I frob it, with nothing selected in my inventory. When I select a lock pick in my inventory and frob the door again, nothing at all happens. The door stays highlighted, but the lock pick does not move to centre screen as in the video, it stays revolving at the bottom right of the screen.

As I say, everything in the inventory seems not to work in T1/TG.

When I play a T2 FM - and yes, I know CL is for T1/TG - none of these problems occur.
    Last edited by Marbrien; 13th Aug 2015 at 04:31.

Well, this is damned peculiar.
    Even if the scripts weren't loaded, the lockpicks should move to the center of the screen...

Time to shoot science at the wall and see what sticks:
    What operating system are you using?
    Are you running the TFix installer with administrative privileges? Are you running Thief with Administrative privileges?
    Could you post the contents of "install.cfg"? Could you post the contents of "cam_mod.ini"?
    Could you zip your entire thief folder (excluding movies), and upload the zip file to mediafire, then private message me a link to it so I could examine it?
    Tomorrow, I'll try to find some time to zip up a verified working install of Thief Gold, and have you download that as test if all else fails.

I appreciate your patience in dealing with this issue. =)

I am using a Windows 8.1 laptop. The Anti-virus is Norton 360. There is only one user account on the machine, mine, and it has Administrator rights.

I installed T1/TG via TFix v1.21b. I don't recall whether I used my T1 (Sold Out) discs, or my TG (Premier Collection) disc for installation. Presumably it shouldn't matter(?)

The laptop is fairly new. Thinking about it, CL is probably the first T1/TG FM I have tried to play. After initially installing, I probably only went into the OM a few seconds, so did not discover anything amiss.

Then I loaded CL, got the message from CL about needing a newer New Dark, and used TFix 1.22 to update it. Then I discovered the lock pick problem.

The laptop also has T2 and TDM on it, but these appear to be working normally.

I have just tried the edit to gamesys.dml suggested in a previous post, but it has made no difference.

I will post those other things you mentioned shortly. Thanks.

Zombified
    if you have the bandwidth, please zip and share your Thief install (minus the CRFs and movies, don't need those, and that should also make the download significantly smaller. 7zip maximum compression, if you can). sendspace, mediafire or similar should allow hosting of large files.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 13th Aug 2015 at 07:33.

if you have the bandwidth, please zip and share your Thief install (minus the CRFs and movies, don't need those, and that should also make the download significantly smaller. 7zip maximum compression, if you can). sendspace, mediafire or similar should allow hosting of large files.
    Hi voodoo47,

Just tried to PM you, but apparently you are over the PM size limit and need to clear some stuff out!

Anyway, before I sent you anything, I thought I would try another install. So I put the original install under a folder called Temp.

I used the TG discs for the new install. Setup.exe refused to work because it thought it was being installed under Windows NT; I remember now this is what happened with the original install too. So, as I did originally, I used the manual method, copying the THIEF directory from both CDs on top of each other at C:\Games. Then I ran TFix v1.22 on it. But the lock pick problem was still there.

So here is a 7zip of the original install, under the Temp folder, and minus all .avi and .crf files.

Thanks for your help in trying to sort this out.

Mark O'Brien.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/es2bjnely0lq7ka/TEMP.7z?dl=0

PS I just tried a manual reinstall from the T1 discs, then TFix v1.22, but have still got the same problem.
    Last edited by Marbrien; 13th Aug 2015 at 11:11.

You can force setup to continue by running setup with the -lgntforce switch added to the shortcut/command line.
    You can open the Windows run command by pressing the Windows Button+R, then typing
    Code:
    X:\setup.exe - lgntforce
    (Where X is the letter of your CD-ROM drive.)

Also, I downloaded your install, and dropped it into C:\Games\Thief and dropped the *.Crf files into .\Res, and the interfce.crf patch into .\Patches. And it worked perfectly...

Disable antivirus and try again?

Zombified
    confirming. while not able to say exactly what is going on, I'm now pretty sure the game is getting partially blocked by antivirus/other security feature. disable whatever you can, try adding thief.exe to all exception lists, and hope it will help.

also, did you try renaming thief.exe to tg.exe? while seemingly dumb, "thief.exe" is something that can trigger stupid security software.

notes:
    -you should be able to install from cd by running the setup.exe in win9x compatibility mode.
    -T1 is supported, but has not been tested extensively, though considering that all TFix really needs to work are the orig crf files, chances of something going wrong are extremely low. anyway, using TG will always be a safer bet.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 13th Aug 2015 at 13:27.

Another thought is since Newdark runs on modern operating systems, ensure it isn't running in compatibility mode for windows 98 or other version of windows.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast