TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: "No enemies" mod - dropping items? etc

"No enemies" mod - dropping items? etc

A while back I made a tiny mod for the first Unreal game that removed combat (by hiding + silencing + killing enemies before they could bother the player), effectively turning the game into a tourist stroll. I'm trying to assess how easily something comparable for Thief 1 & 2 (and Shock2 for that matter) could be done. To be clear, I think Thief is an all-time classic game and I recognize that removing its gameplay is sacrilege :]

Looking at the "No spiders" mod for Shock 2 as a starting point and using Thief Gold as my testbed, it looks like anything I'd want to change will be in DARK.GAM:
    - I modified "Guard" in the archetype tree, gave them an Alertness cap of 0 so they never become aware of the player.
    - I added a Knockout receptron and source, so they start KO'd (I realize this may break some missions, just trying to proof-of-concept right now).
    - The main problem I have now is that I can't recover belt items from them, eg the key that the drunk guard behind Bafford's is holding, which is obviously a show-stopper. How should I work around this? Does Thief have an easy way to give the player a "skeleton key" that opens all doors and auto-equip that from the start? If not is there a way to have AI-held items drop to the ground once they're auto-KO'd? Some other method?

Just change all the AIs to neutral (AI > AI Core > Team: Neutral) instead of Bad n. You may lose some of the fun AI to AI interactions when differing Baddies meet, but, hey, you're gutting the game anyhow.

I don't recall if the aiawareofplayer command works in Thief or if it is DromEd only, but that's a much easier way to walk through the game without any tension if it does.

Personally I think you are wasting your time, but it's your time to waste. Have fun.

Yep, Team: Neutral seems like the best way to make a tourist-stroll version of Thief.

Could make for an interesting level design tour version/Thief "museum" version or something. Interesting idea!

Cool thanks, Team: Neutral definitely does the trick. Seems like creating a depopulated-but-still-functional world would be a lot more work and probably involve editing all the mission files, so not worth the bother. Thanks folks!

Would be a little more work, but not impossible. Leaving the AI in but unalertable maintains some of the atmosphere though.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Wouldn't it have been easier to just set Team to Neutral on the Garrett archetype instead of mucking about with all the AIs?

Smart ass.

Wait, would that work???

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    It does in fact work, yes.

So I've played through all the missions in Thief Gold with this mod (set Garrett's team to Neutral) and every mission works fine except for one: Return to Cathedral. Brother Murus doesn't speak to me when I reach his first point of appearance in the courtyard, and so the mission goals never update (and he must be in the graveyard next to his grave to complete the penultimate goal). Any idea why a change in the player's team would affect this? I looked at the class properties for Murus in DromEd and didn't see anything that suggested his behavior depends on team, but I'm still a DromEd newb.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Check his team in the original mission (AI-->AI Core-->Team). He's probably good. Garrett's actually good too, not neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    Check his team in the original mission (AI-->AI Core-->Team). He's probably good. Garrett's actually good too, not neutral.
    Sorry, should have stated a few things: my mod sets Garrett's team from Good to Neutral. Murus doesn't appear to have a team set; he inherits Bad from his parent class of Undead. I tried setting him to team Neutral (and then Good, when that didn't work) and it didn't fix the problem of him not talking.

His other properties show that while he's technically an enemy, he's non-hostile and doesn't investigate, etc.

A lot of things in T1 were handled with scripts. Unfortunately we don't seem to have any info on the Murus script.

This may be a case where Garrett has to be Good, and setting all the other AIs to Neutral would be a better approach.

Okay, for anyone who cares here's a download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpy6z66egt...urism.zip?dl=0

Just the readme: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cshi5zn0jl...eadme.txt?dl=0

Thanks for the DromEd advice folks!