TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Heartcliff Islands (August 21st, 2015)

Well I'm still stuck in the prison. Been wandering around and around for hours.
    I have a key to the vents and confiscate items.
    The only vent I've found has been so dark, I got lost and had to reload.
    Can someone point me in the right direction before I am forced to give up.

on what diff. are you playing?

there is a lantern in the mission,where to find is depening on diff. you are playing.

there are several ways to get out of the prison..

the vents are one way.you can focus on the red lights to navigate, but the lantern will make it easier

you got the confescated items key?
    where you stole that one, that guard is guarding the official way in/out, is a bit of a puzzle to get out

I'm having a technical problem with this FM; couldn't see anything else about it scanning this thread. Basically when the mission starts, the graphics do not load. i.e. I'm on the objectives screen, the loading finishes, I can hear something drop and a security camera, but I just have the objectives screen frozen onscreen. The only way I can exit is Ctrl+Alt+Del.

* I am on New Dark 1.23
    * I made sure the scripts were right.
    * I renamed my Mods folder to remove any texture packs etc.
    * My max_refs is 40000.
    * I get the exact same issue if I load the game in Dromed and go into game mode. I can fly around the map in the editor window however.
    * The base game and other missions work fine.

Anyone else encountered anything like this?

A few things to try:
    • uninstall the mission and then install it again.
    • uninstall the mission (remove it from the FMSel database if you want (Ctrl+right click)), delete the current zip, and then download the mission zip again (if we're lucky, the first download just got corrupted).
    • Go to FMSel's HI install folder, open fm.cfg, comment out the lines "d3d_disp_sw_cc" and "d3d_disp_sw_cc_hwgamma", and see if that changes anything.
    • Check your GPU settings and let Thief2 (and DromEd) handle all settings (don't force anything).
    • Please, upload your config files (*.cfg (dark.cfg, user.cfg, cam.cfg, cam_ext.cfg) and lg.ini) and your Thief2.log, and I can take a look.

A couple of questions: (I rarely ask in this forum, because I always explore a lot and read posted hints, but this mission is perhaps a too big mouthful for me. I've been playing for at least 22 hours now )

Q1: Is there a purpose with the pentagon shaped structure in the grass on the lawn behind the two stairs on the south part of the second island?

Q2: Still not found map #3 for the treasure. A hint were given, and I deduced that it may not be wise to hide a map made of paper under water. True, but what would a pirate do then? Perhaps hide it inside a rum bottle because pirates were known to be good at producing empty rum bottles. I have looked high and low but no map #3. (Also: Is the map vital for solving any puzzles?)

Q3: The five coloured boxes in the pirate cave with one switch under each. I'm colour blind but it looks to me that the boxes are purple, blue, green, red and yellow.

Q4: Someone mentioned that Borin's book may hold the answer to the puzzle with the five red diamond on the wall in the red crypt area. The poem perhaps. Or if someone had been at the very bottom of the prison and read the writing on the wall.

Q5: The coffin: I have removed the corpse from the coffin, and sailed the coffin to the other island and the only thing I'm able to do with the coffin now is taking a nap inside it. (Also: In the mortuary there is a door shaped metal piece, which I guess is the same as the same metal shaped piece in the prison area in the hall with the statue with its back turned. Is there a switch for this, or is it just to taunt players?

Q6: Sabotage: I've got the explosive charge, and I've wrecked both antennas, and I'm now the lucky owner of 2 sets of antenna repair kits. So the obvious thing for me left must be the lighthouse, but I'm not destroying the only decent light source on the outside of this map - yet! Am I on the right track here?

Yesterday when I finally cracked the code to the warden safe, I went on a spree, and within 20 minutes I succeeded entering a blocked door with a red line painted on, and the area in the prison with the raised steel bridge. And I found four gems with the help from a certain map.

Quote Originally Posted by nightshifter View Post
    on what diff. are you playing?

there is a lantern in the mission,where to find is depening on diff. you are playing.

there are several ways to get out of the prison..

the vents are one way.you can focus on the red lights to navigate, but the lantern will make it easier

you got the confescated items key?
    where you stole that one, that guard is guarding the official way in/out, is a bit of a puzzle to get out
    Playing on Expert.

Haven't found a lantern and cant work out how to open the outer airlock-type door you mention, as the switch is only frobbable from inside the guard room.

As usual, just after posting, found some light in the abandoned area! Thanks nightshifter, I'll see if this helps me.

Oh no! Stuck in the sewers now. I think I've had enough of this one - there is little to guide me on what to do and the loading time is very long. I'll wait for a walkthrough.
    Last edited by frobbin hood; 30th Aug 2015 at 08:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsie1 View Post

Q2: Still not found map #3 for the treasure. A hint were given, and I deduced that it may not be wise to hide a map made of paper under water. True, but what would a pirate do then? Perhaps hide it inside a rum bottle because pirates were known to be good at producing empty rum bottles. I have looked high and low but no map #3. (Also: Is the map vital for solving any puzzles?)
    Total giveaway: Where you the underwater passage to area #3 for the treasure, where you normally would go left and slowly up, go straight up. The paper #3 for the Pirates treasure is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsie1 View Post

Q4: Someone mentioned that Borin's book may hold the answer to the puzzle with the five red diamond on the wall in the red crypt area. The poem perhaps. Or if someone had been at the very bottom of the prison and read the writing on the wall.
    Gentle hint: Which of the symbols in Borin's book or in the bottom of the prison could be replicated on that diamond puzzle?

Stronger hint: For the location at the bottom of the prison giving a hint, you need to get all the way down to just above the lava, then unlock the door to Cellblock #3 (?) where a paper next to the door says (Paraphrase) "Don't go in here. You don't want to go insane." It's in one of the cells in there.

Total giveaway (at least of what I found): Make these lines on the puzzle appear (order is not important): Left side, top side, right top to center, center to bottom right, then click bottom gem, then make these lines on the puzzle appear: Right side, bottom, bottom left to center, center to upper left. A coffin nearby opens.

- prjames

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    A few things to try:
    • uninstall the mission and then install it again.
    • uninstall the mission (remove it from the FMSel database if you want (Ctrl+right click)), delete the current zip, and then download the mission zip again (if we're lucky, the first download just got corrupted).
    • Go to FMSel's HI install folder, open fm.cfg, comment out the lines "d3d_disp_sw_cc" and "d3d_disp_sw_cc_hwgamma", and see if that changes anything.
    • Check your GPU settings and let Thief2 (and DromEd) handle all settings (don't force anything).
    • Please, upload your config files (*.cfg (dark.cfg, user.cfg, cam.cfg, cam_ext.cfg) and lg.ini) and your Thief2.log, and I can take a look.
    I completely deleted and redownloaded the mission from a different mirror. That made no difference. I've tried changing those lines in fm.cfg but that had no effect. As far as I can tell, my graphics card isn't trying to force anything, and if it was the card, I'd expect other missions to fail.

Here's my T2 settings: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

I was able to reproduce the issue by trying out the differing settings in your cam_ext.cfg one by one, so try this:

Find the following setting (in your cam_ext.cfg) and enable it (remove the semicolon in front of "min_frame_time 1"):
    ; set minimum frame time value to 1ms to avoid speedups at high framerates, this does NOT cap the framerate
    ; it only sets the lower frame time limit so that if a frame is shorter than this, the engine will pretend
    ; that it was this long
    ;min_frame_time 1
    I'm not sure why, but it worked in my tests and hopefully it will work for you too.

Side-note:
    I also have the following setting enabled, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the current issue:
    ; cap engine update frequency to 250 Hz (specified as min updated time in ms), for a software framerate cap when
    ; using "single_display_mode" it's probably better to use "framerate_cap", this is just a last resort cap
    ;SlowFrame 4

Edit:
    Another interesting thing I noticed with having "min_frame_time 1" disabled, is that it makes the loading of missions a lot slower, so if HI loads very slowly, try enabling "min_frame_time 1".
    Last edited by qolelis; 30th Aug 2015 at 11:36.

My patience just ran out, sadly.

I have to bail out of the mission for now - until more help is available (help that I understand)

I usually play on expert, but had to restart on normal to get the mission going, but I newer found a flow in the mission.

I do appreciate the help given, not just to me, but I did not understand enough to get it going.
    Last edited by Woodsie1; 30th Aug 2015 at 12:41.

Quote Originally Posted by frobbin hood View Post
    Playing on Expert.

Haven't found a lantern and cant work out how to open the outer airlock-type door you mention, as the switch is only frobbable from inside the guard room.

As usual, just after posting, found some light in the abandoned area! Thanks nightshifter, I'll see if this helps me.

Oh no! Stuck in the sewers now. I think I've had enough of this one - there is little to guide me on what to do and the loading time is very long. I'll wait for a walkthrough.
    On getting out with the two doors and switchyou must try to block the first door. If you use the switch the second door won't open untill the fitst door is closed

Giveawaytake a crate from the confescated items and place it in the first doorway, then go back and frob the switch. Go through the first doorway and take the crate. First door will close and second open and out you are
    You can, with some carefull planning, even do this ghosting

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    I was able to reproduce the issue by trying out the differing settings in your cam_ext.cfg one by one, so try this:

Find the following setting (in your cam_ext.cfg) and enable it (remove the semicolon in front of "min_frame_time 1"):

I'm not sure why, but it worked in my tests and hopefully it will work for you too.

Side-note:
    I also have the following setting enabled, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the current issue:

Edit:
    Another interesting thing I noticed with having "min_frame_time 1" disabled, is that it makes the loading of missions a lot slower, so if HI loads very slowly, try enabling "min_frame_time 1".
    Brilliant, that worked straight away! Don't understand why, but I'm up and running aok now. Thanks a lot for the help!

Where might I find that elusive lantern on expert?

Quote Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
    Where might I find that elusive lantern on expert?
    I found it down in the lower levels, where the haunts are. there is a small room with a knocked over table and chairs.
    You need to find the control pedestal to open the gates to the level first.

Thanks for the info Frobbin Hood.
    I was afraid that would be the case.
    It looks like I need to head back to the prison area.

technical problem ?

I have encountered a weird problem with the pushcart carrying the coffin.

I can move the cart into the elevator, but once it is there, I cannot move it anymore. It highlights (= frobbable), but it does not move.

When I played the fm the first time, all worked fine; I let made the transport to the other island, the cart went onto the rail and further to the crematory. The ashes in the ashbunker below the furnace however were to far away to reach. Is that intended? Do I need a special tool here to reach the ashes?

Anyway, I restarted the mission (after a fresh re-boot), made a lot of things on both islands, but when I wanted to do the "burnt remains" thing, the cart does not move out of the elevator.

How comes this? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance
    urumo

Ok, I drank one of the holy blood potions and found one of the red x's at the lighthouse. What do I do there? I'm supposed to find clues for the treasure at those places right?

Urumo: As far as I know the ashes aren't needed anywhere - neither frobbable. Though, there is something you can take from there, but it didn't belonged to the corpse. You should pick up only one item remaining after the fire, which is later used to reach some additional loot.

Dev_Anj: The red X-es are visible without drinking the holy blood. If you see them, it marks that one part of the treasure is hidden in the very near. (the same room in case of buildings)
    Have you found the map, which indicates where should you look for them?

Now, my turn in asking
    I have pretty much no idea, how to proceed.
    The only item so far, I've found as a target to the destroying ritual, is the Red Dewdrop. While the two items containing love, are the king's/queen's heart, but the ritual worked with neither so they're for something else.
    In the area where I found the Red Dewdrop, I also found a white one.
    There was of course that heart up there which disappeared from frobbing it, and I thought it unlocked the heart in the well/basement area, but I still can't take it. So, what's next?
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Taylor; 31st Aug 2015 at 07:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    The only item so far, I've found as a target to the destroying ritual, is the Red Dewdrop. While the two items containing love, are the king's/queen's heart, but the ritual worked with neither so they're for something else.
    If you have red smoke then the item can be used in that place for something. However, the destroying ritual does not use the red dewdrop. Unless you already have the destruction spell, in which case the target is definitely not what you think it is.
    Last edited by urgrue; 31st Aug 2015 at 08:16.

Quote Originally Posted by urgrue View Post
    If you have red smoke then the item can be used in that place for something. However, the destroying ritual does not use the red dewdrop. Unless you already have the destruction spell, in which case the target is definitely not what you think it is.
    I have red smoke for the red dewdrop as the target item (looking at it, it even looks evil) but I don't know who loves the dewdrop's owner who is - I think the red body next to the doll's original place.

Isn't the destruction spell that scroll found in the ritual room?

What's up with today? So slow ...
    Isn't the destruction spell that scroll found in the ritual room?
    No, that's the ritual spell.

... but I don't know who loves the dewdrop's owner who is - I think the red body next to the doll's original place...
    You've read the chronicles, right? Remember the cave where you found the green dewdrop? The three corpses: left middle, right; who do you think they were?

Dev_Anj: The red X-es are visible without drinking the holy blood. If you see them, it marks that one part of the treasure is hidden in the very near. (the same room in case of buildings)
    Have you found the map, which indicates where should you look for them?
    Yes I did find the treasure map. What I want to know is where is the treasure in that location? I've found the red X but can't seem to find the treasure in that room.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev_Anj View Post
    Yes I did find the treasure map. What I want to know is where is the treasure in that location? I've found the red X but can't seem to find the treasure in that room.
    If you search hi or lo in that room, you will find something which will give you access to the thing you seek.

I've searched the lighthouse basement very thoroughly, still can't find the treasure indicated by the red x. I need a direct hint I think.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast