TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Niiiice. Are you playing it at 4k now or is that just Ansel's output?

Chakat sex pillow
    That's all Ansel. I could play it at 4K, but I doubt a 1070 Ti could run it at 60 FPS all the way. 1440p's fine though.

Question #1 for some folks (I was one of these folks): is this Dragon Age: Inquisition in space?
    Answer: Yes. Yes it goddamn is.

Then I'll never have time, strength, or patience to finish this. I got DA:I, and I even quite enjoyed it, but I got really tired of it around 20-hour mark.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, it's only if you've got the patience for slogging through a game that should be a third as long. I still recommend giving the 'additional tasks' a wide berth if you want to mainline the story, because that's where the bulk of the busywork is. Doubtless there's a payoff to them, but I don't think most of them are worth it.

That reminds me that I've got so many epic RPGs that I've bought (or supported on Kickstarter) that I still need to play. Inquisition is one of them. I used to love these 50+ hour RPGs, but the thought of actually getting started on one of them almost puts me off these days.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm usually in the same boat, Thirth, except that what usually spurs me on despite that is the promise of interesting quest lines and characters. However, we're long past the days of Baldur's Gate 2, VtM:B, and Knights of the Old Republic 2. The last time an RPG narrative really pulled me in was Fallout: New Vegas's, and I still haven't finished that one. TW3, for all of its excellence ended up being fairly good, but too diffuse in its execution for my tastes. RPGs are just a muddier time these days because I feel the writing doesn't have a strong enough voice.

I suppose the fact that I'm older now and the creeping sense of ennui that's harder to dispel is also partly to blame, but I can't openly acknowledge that part of the blame lies with me instead of the quality of the thing in question. I mean, what kind of person does that.

Dont worry, I recently tried to slog through Kotor2 and found it poorly written, I gave up about halfway through.

Chakat sex pillow
    Heh. I don't think it's poorly written more than it's poorly paced/designed, but I was probably more forgiving of that at the time.

Yeah, I think the writing is quite okay and the game's definitely got at least one of my favourite computer game characters ever. Pacing is something that's an issue with all the RPGs I've played, though; I don't know how they can solve the problem of player freedom and a relative lack of linearity with respect to overall pacing. From what I've heard, Disco Elysium aims for a shorter overall game combined with lots of replayability, which might make for a better paced RPG. Fingers crossed...

I'd explain why but my face is tired.

Chakat sex pillow

Level 10,000 achieved
    For some reason I am now playing this instead of Dishonored 2. I don't know what happened! I wanted something to play on the PS4 since I just bought a projector! This only cost 6 bucks! It all happened so fast.

is it any good though?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm enjoying it! For now, at least. While it doesn't really excell at any one aspect (the combat, exploration, and story are all solid, but unremarkable) the whole package is exactly the kinda epic space adventure I'm in the mood for right now tho.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm sure I've posted this before, but apparently not in this thread. It deserves a repost as it's the best thing ever written about Mass Effect and possibly the greatest thing Polygon has ever done: Mass Effect's most bangable aliens, ranked

Chakat sex pillow
    That article ranks with Polygon's huge mega blow-outs like their Oral Histories in terms of unnecessary depth and research, and I love it to bits. They ought to feature it somehow in the next Mass Effect whenever it is, maybe in a quest-related findable that features a nymphette recounting her lurid history of sexual encounters through an audio diary.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I'm sure I've posted this before, but apparently not in this thread. It deserves a repost as it's the best thing ever written about Mass Effect and possibly the greatest thing Polygon has ever done: Mass Effect's most bangable aliens, ranked
    Personally I'd put Turians at the top by virtue that Garrus is a Turian but that's just me 8]

Level 10,000 achieved
    Gaaaawd I wish there was an option to shut SAM up. Every time I bring up to display to mine resources he helpfully informs me that I can mine resources! Oh really, SAM? I can mine resources? Where can I mine resources, SAM? CAN I MINE RESOURCES WHERE I WAS JUST ABOUT TO MINE RESOURCES? HUH? SAM?

Didn't Mass Effect 2 establish that the Asari somehow appear attractive to whomever is viewing them based on that species' standards of beauty? How could any other race compete with that?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I've played 30 hours of this thing over the past week. I... kinda love it. It has a few issues, sure, but nothing that gets in the way of that great space-adventuring. The combat and exploration are good, and much of the story and characterisation has me hooked. As with most epic RPGs it does suffer from your quest-log filling up with an insane amount of quests though, which leads me to forget what several of them are even about once I get around to doing them. Right now I got a dozen different high-priority missions, but they'll all have to wait, because right now my personal primary objective is throwing a kick-ass movie night for my crew and trying to get into Peebee's pants!

Here's some photos from my trip so far. These can't compete with Sulphur's Ansel-enhanced PC shots, but even on the lowly PS4 this game is a looker.

In case it's not obvious, this is me, Pathfinder Sara Ryder.

My first established colony, on Eos.

My favourite planets to explore have been the sweltering-hot Elaaden and ice-cold Voeld.

As for the facial animations, they're fine! Nowhere near as bad as I'd been led to believe. I suppose they got improved by a patch at some point. They're not quite Witcher 3 quality, but perhaps slightly better than the ME3 ones.

Administrator
    Don't you find the overall character animation can be a bit glitchy? I was not too bothered by it overall as the actual game part is fine when you're not forced to watch a cutscene.

I think all the planetary environments are very well done. I kind of want to see how it looks on my PC, but the PS4 rendition is pretty good. I'm still quite surprised with how much can be got out of the little system - it seems to do better than a laptop I have that is more powerful technically speaking.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Like a lot of gamers in these videogame-oversaturated days, I'm starting to prefer shorter experiences. If a game drags on past 10 hours I usually start wondering when it's gonna wrap up so I can move on to the next thing. Mass Effect Andromeda is the first epic adventure I've played in a while where I didn't mind it taking it's time at all. In fact I kinda wanted it to go on forever. It's not a perfect game or anything. Compare it to The Witcher 3 and you'll see tons of things the latter game does better, not just facial animation, but also things like how it weaves storylines into each other rather than every quest being a separate thread. But I'm the kinda guy who's much more into laserguns and spaceships than swords and dragons, so in the end I did enjoy Andromeda more than The Witcher 3.

I got to drive a spacetruck, have a ton of shootouts, explore alien planets with my warbuddies, AND bang a cute blue alien. Guys, I loved this game. 9/10

Level 10,000 achieved

One last post to get more into the driving and the combat.

Here's a short clip of some exploration and combat.

Driving
    It's... ok. I liked the Mako sections of the first game so I was looking forward to this, but I gotta say that the Nomad is really just... ok. It's a tad too stiff and arcadey to be all that fun, even with the Agility Mode module installed. Since the game is about exploring the wild outdoors of alien planets I wouldn't have minded if they went full Spintires and made traversing the terrain really difficult. Instead it feels like they've gone too far in the opposite direction, the Nomad is insanely powerful. With all-wheel-drive engaged and boosters on you can scale almost-vertical cliff faces. Also the camera is always a bit too close to it, I'd prefer it pulled further away. I did enjoy driving on the asteroid though, with it's low gravity it made the movement both more fun and challenging. And overall I still enjoyed the very concept of exploring these planets in my truck while my teammates chat in the back.

Combat
    It's good! They pack a lot of complexity into it. You got grenades, turrets, biotic and tech powers, melee. You can fire from cover but the game still encourages you to get out there and flank the enemy or order your team to flank them. The jump and side boosts also makes the movement much more fun.

I'm glad people are discussing this shitpile because it made me remember that I took the trilogy out of my favorite-perma-installed list and I can't remember why. Reinstalling/replaying now.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm willing to write off Inquisition and Andromeda as being shovelware pushed out by side studios, which makes Anthem Bioware's last chance for me.

Interesting. I liked the Nomad far better than I did the Mako, which handled like a three-wheeled shopping trolley on its last legs. Sure, it was far less challenging, but I never found it much fun to be tipped over by every small bump and slope on the terrain. I would have liked it, though, if there had been an architect fight that made more use of the Nomad. Kind of like a thresher maw fight, but with less random death bullshit.

Also, stumbled on this clip I hadn't seen before of the female Ryder being adorkable:

She sounds consistently so much more goofy than the male Ryder. I wonder if it was planned or if it's something that happened during voice recording.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast