TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: T2 Campaign - Keeper of Infinity 2: Mission 1 - Bad Venture (6 Jan 2016)

Yeah, well I got into the wine cellar but I'm going to have to give up on this one. I should have started it on Taffer but I don't fancy starting again. Just too many improbable hurdles to overcome in order to achieve trivial objectives. And from what I read of other people's problems, it gets worse rather than better.

A pity, because the artwork has a real ambience to it that invites immersion, but the gameplay is not going to let that happen.

I have never seen a mission with so many convoluted objectives where if you don't do them in a specific certain order then certain other events will not happen and therefore make the mission unplayable. In Bad Venture (version 1.6) on Taffer difficulty, I didn't read Thereon's notes the second time until after Jonas was dead. It seems that doing this has rendered this mission unable to be completed. After reading the notes a second time, I got the objective; "Thereon has sent a messenger for reinforcements and tomorrow the mages will infiltrate the house of science, you should let Jonas know." But Jonas is DEAD! And now the Room 2 and 3 in the Stumbled Traveler Inn will not open at all so I cannot do the spider objective. I tried reading the note on the door of the house of science again and reading Thereon's notes again and going back to Jonas' room at the inn but still nothing. Rooms 2 and 3 are forever locked and there seems to be no way to solve the let Jonas know objective because he is already dead. This appears to be a major game ending bug unless I am doing something wrong.

Reading Thereon's notes a second time does trigger the appearance of the "inform Jonas" objective again, but in v1.6 of the campaign, this does not necessary mean that the mission cannot be completed. I just dropped the spider at the end of the mission, then quickly read Thereon's notes again (after Cleman considered a career as long distance runner ), and the "inform Jonas" objective appeared again. But the mission ended successfully.

Try to proceed with the mission. I don't know whose room has which number, but maybe we can still verify whether it's OK that two doors have not opened so far.

The door to Cleman's room will open near the end of the mission, which you most likely have not reached yet. The door to Thereon's room (opposite Cleman's room) will never open. The door in the room with the fireplace most likely has opened already if you have obtained Thereon's notes.

So, try to do something else. Do you have the spider already? Did you obtain the forest key, or the key to the attic?

Did you return the crystalto Jonas after using it near the "House of Science"? Did he give you money upon returning the crystal? Do you still have the objective to just look for a room, or did it change to "There are no avaliable rooms. But this is not a problem for you, right?" when speaking with Jonas?

Have you searched Jonas' hideout in the "Stumbled Traveler Inn" after he died, and did you find and read Jonas' diary in there?

Do you have the spider already? Did you obtain the forest key, or the key to the attic? Did you return the crystal to Jonas after using it near the "House of Science"? Did he give you money upon returning the crystal? Do you still have the objective to just look for a room, or did it change to "There are no available rooms. But this is not a problem for you, right?" when speaking with Jonas? Have you searched Jonas' hideout in the "Stumbled Traveler Inn" after he died, and did you find and read Jonas' diary in there?
    Yes to all of those questions.

Here are the objectives I have completed (taffer difficulty)

1. find jonas' hide-out in the ST inn
    2. jonas wants you to put the empty crystal into the elemental
    3. find the mage, thereon, and steal his records
    4. steal the forest key
    5. dispel the magic

Here are the objectives I have not solved

1. thereon has sent a messenger for reinforcement. you should let jonas know
    2. steal 3200
    3. there are no available rooms anywhere
    4. you should let the keepers know about the beasts but right now get some rest
    5. mr. cleman is afraid of insects. how would he react if he found a spider on his chest?
    6. jacob wants me not to disturb Lady Adaline

It is also possible that some objectives are not showing on my screen because there are some eight thousand total objectives in this mission and they keep running off the page.

Thanks for your help. I'm close to giving up on this one.

I think you're almost done. Just steal enough money, then return to Cleman's room. In a previous version of the mission, I needed to steal stuff worth 3200, then Cleman's door was open. So this objective has to be fulfilled before you enter Cleman's room - which is logical, since you will be able to finish the first mission in there.

Thanks baeuchlein, you were right. Yes, obtaining the loot requirement does trigger Room 2 (Mr. Cleman's) to open in the inn. But now I still have a major problem. I went up to Mr. Cleman's Room 2 at the inn and it was open after obtaining the loot requirement. So I tossed the can with the spider on his bed and then I frobbed the bed to get some rest and solve the no rooms available objective. But now I am trapped in that room with only one objective left. Which one? You guessed it: "Thereon has sent a messenger for reinforcements. You should let Jonas know."

Just because I reread Thereon's notes at the wrong time, after Jonas was killed, this mission looks like it cannot be completed for me. I HATE cntrl+alt+shift+ending for any mission. I should not have to do that.

I just checked it out myself - yes, you're right. If you read Thereon's notes while Jonas is already dead, the first mission cannot be completed anymore. Only if you manage to finish the mission a few seconds after reading Thereon's notes at the wrong time, the mission does end successfully. Of course, that's not something that will help you now. It's CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-End time once again.

Too bad. AFAIK, this bug has been present for a long time in the mission, but never got fixed.

Thanks baeuchlein for confirming this bug. This is quite a serious game ending bug that really needs to be addressed. It's such a shame because this mission is awesome otherwise. I am actually thinking about replaying it and reading Thereon's notes for the second time at the right moment to prevent this from happening. When would be the ideal time to reread those notes to prevent this from happening?

Quote Originally Posted by cavador_8 View Post
    I am actually thinking about replaying it and reading Thereon's notes for the second time at the right moment to prevent this from happening. When would be the ideal time to reread those notes to prevent this from happening?
    To sucessfully end the mission, you only need to read Thereon's notes once, and that's when you find them. If you really wish to read these notes a second time, you better save your game before you do that, then read the notes, and in the end reload the savegame again. AFAIK, there is no need for reading the notes more than once, unless you have forgotten something which was mentioned in there.

Oh, ok. I will try that then. After reading Thereon's notes once, I will leave that damn book alone! Thanks for your help baeuchlein. I greatly appreciate it!

Ghost
    I'm in complete accord with a previous poster: Again and again, I find myself without a clue what to do or where to go next. Even using the TTLG thread, I'm often stumped.

As I am right now. Playing on the hardest level, mission 1, I have done the following objectives:

I found Jonas's hideout in the Stumbled Trav Inn
    Put the crystal into the elemental
    Stole $6,085 (i.e., more than required)
    Blasted the magical bush to enter the other part of the map
    Looted the winery
    Climbed down the monster vine to get the silver (and wand, of course)

I read the note on the Science building; there's no mention of telling Jonas anything, so I assume it's the first version of the note. (Jonas is still alive... despite the fact that I saw his dead body through the crack in the wall below the S.T. Inn.)

Oddly, although I KOed Thereon (or maybe it's the other investigator) and stole the research notes, that objective did not check off. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

While I got into room 1, where I got the notes, rooms 2 and 3 are still shut and unpickable. If it needs a key, I don't have it yet. If Thereon is in room 3, I haven't found a way to get into it.

I'm standing in the middle of the street near the Inn, scratching my head like I had lice. What am I to do now? (Besides delousing myself!)

Baffled,

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 29th Mar 2016 at 22:43.

Do you have an objective regarding the guest Cleman at the S.T. Inn?

Did you go to the other inn near the Science Bldg and get something you'll need there?

Ghost
    Dahenjo,

Yeah, two of them: The Cleman/spider one (I have the bug in the jar); and the "no available rooms" one. I'm guessing that when I put the spider on his chest, he freaks, leaves, and I take the room. But I have no idea how to get into his room in order to put it on his chest.

I went to the Clean and Cozy, looted two rooms, but I didn't get a key that opens a door in the Stumbled Traveler Inn, if that's what I'm supposed to get. Where? Or from whom? I have five keys: Blocked district key, Groom's key, Grate key, a key just labeled Key (I think that's the one I got that from the flowerpot in the Clean and Cozy), and a key that has no label at all.

Thanks,

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 29th Mar 2016 at 23:22.

The spider is what I meant that you get there. Cleman's room will open at the very end then you can use it on his bed.

You should get another objective to tell Jonas after reading Thereon's notes, but maybe that was the inspector you knocked out who also has notes. Thereon's room has large rocks floating in the air, so are you sure you were there?

Ghost
    Dahenjo,

Definitely wasn't there!

So I ask once more... what am I to do now? Where do I go, what do I do when I get there?

I haven't a clue what next.

(I just took a peek at Adaline's diary. Dullsville!)

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 30th Mar 2016 at 01:31.

Dafydd, you now have to steal Thereon's notes. And you can wait forever, but his door will never open. Neither will you be able to pick it.

So, you need to get into there via an alternate route. A real "thiefy" one.

You have to break into Thereon's room by opening the window. You can reach it by going through the window in the room which already opened. You will notice a metal ledge outside, which will carry you around the inn, almost until you reach Thereon's window. Almost...

To cross the gap you see, you can either try running and jumping, or you can place a rope arrow into a piece of wood portruding from the roof, then jump onto the rope first, and onto Thereon's windowsill afterwards.

Once you're inside Thereon's room, you will notice floating rocks everywhere. What you might not realize is that the largest of these rocks is actually Thereon, and he has his notes with him! You have to literally pull them out of his butt... and then even read them. Yikes!

After you have read the notes the first time (which you can't avoid, since you cannot leave Thereon's room again before having read the notes), keep in mind that if you ever, ever want to read them again, you might break the game! This means that in such a case you have to save your game, read the notes, then load the savegame again in order to avoid breaking the game.

I, too, am very close to giving up on this one. I like hard missions which require me to think and search and be creative, but this mission seems to have structural problems which are insurmountable.
    Beautiful mission.
    Some great concepts.
    Just too many frustrations in trying to get the pieces to fall into place. The business about reading Thereon's notes a second time breaking the game is just ridiculous.
    What puts me over the edge, though, is not having the key for the sewer hatch, with no idea where to find it and, so far as I can see, no mention of it in this thread. Maybe it's easy to find, but I have just lost interest.

There is no sewer key in the mission. Instead, you first have to read Jonas' diary to get the idea where his other hideout might be, and then the sewer hatch near the police station will become frobbable. You can open it with the crowbar then.

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    There is no sewer key in the mission. Instead, you first have to read Jonas' diary to get the idea where his other hideout might be, and then the sewer hatch near the police station will become frobbable. You can open it with the crowbar then.
    Ah, yes, the crowbar. Silly of me to forget that.
    Having invested over seven hours thus far, I am not quite ready to quit. So, slog on, taffer!

Well, I'm done. 9+ hours of endless frustration is enough.
    Having read this entire thread just reinforces that feeling.
    There are a lot of other missions out there.

Quote Originally Posted by tone_lord View Post
    Well, I'm done. 9+ hours of endless frustration is enough.
    There are several useful things that could help you: video walkthrough by me, pdf walkthrough by Ricebug and letsplay by FenPhoenix. I don't see any reason for torment. But it was your choice.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I think the point tone_lord and many others who have posted about their frustrations here are trying to make is that they don't want to, and shouldn't have to, refer to a walkthrough video or mission thread constantly in order to complete a mission. It continually breaks immersion and causes deep frustration not to be able to figure out what to do next from within the mission itself, and that frustration is exacerbated when many of the gameplay design choices seem arbitrary and unintuitive, or worse, intentionally overly difficult. I'm not speaking from personal experience since I've not played the mission yet, but based on reading this thread, that seems to be a very common criticism of your mission, which you would appear to have little interest in taking to heart - which is of course your right as an author to do if you wish. Again, I'm not trying to cast aspersions here, just stating my observations after following this thread from the beginning.

I'm having a bit of a problem. Is the mission not fully compatible with New Dark 1.24 maybe? Why i'm saying that is because some windows and grates are not frobbable when they're supposed to be. For example the grate that leads to the basement near Lady Adaline or the window near the house of science. I checked the video walkthrough and they are supposed to work. I guess the saves don't work if I revert to 1.23 for a bit.

Just wanted to know if anybody that's using 1.24 has also encountered this issue. Thanks.

You can open these windows on Hard and Expert.

Oh, that was it? I haven't played this since the first chapter in december 2014 so i didn't wanted to dive in hard or expert on my first playthrough of the updated version :P And i remember when i played it back then that i explored those places.

Thanks for clearing things

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819 LastLast