TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 510151617181920

Thread: T2 Campaign - Keeper of Infinity 2: Mission 1 - Bad Venture (6 Jan 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post

But still, that wasn't obvious and really looked like a bug. Maybe someone can add that barrier sparkling in the window to show that it is, actually, a magic barrier?
    This was obvious because you have to get there according to the goal. Thus, if you did not find anything - then why would you leave this place? I specifically added an invisible barrier to protect the player from missing the quest item.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post
    Still hunting for pixels: I'm in Jonas' hideout but Jonas isn't around. I'm supposed to find some "keeper secrets". I cannot leave the room until I do. Where is it? I think I even checked ALL the ceiling beams.
    Look for the switch to the right of the entrance on the wall in the alcove with the statue. It is at eye level.

Got it. Thanks!

The download links for the Full 1.6 version are down. Any hope for a fix? I've been dying to play some Soul Tear missions

You can find this version on Dark Fate.

Buggy Windows

In the Inn, the mages room *with the floating rocks & a secret) that can be accessed from the outside by shooting a rope arrow into underside of the rafter at the peak of the building then crawl through the window to get into the room: I cannot leave this room by the window no matter what I do. The radiator under the window prevents me from being able to leave by the same window that I came in. You cannot mantle onto the radiator. You can only try to jump out the window - and you get stuck in the window. So now I am stuck in this room with no way to get out. Is there a way to cheat code or something to delete the radiator under the window or teleport through the wall? This is extremely frustrating, especially since there is a secret in this room.

Quote Originally Posted by Estel Randir View Post
    I am stuck in this room with no way to get out.
    This isn't a bug, this is how this mission indicates to you that there is something important you should do in this room. Find it, do it and the window will become passable again.

A. Stahl is right, there is something you have to do before an invisible barrier in the window will vanish, allowing you to jump through the window once again.

Unless something went very wrong in the mission, you should have an objective to check out Mage Thereon's plans. You need to find Thereon's diary for that. Try to look at possible hiding places from every angle you can imagine.

If you still can't find it, look at everything that looks strange.

Still no luck? Then check this outright spoiler: What you need can be found on the underside of one of the flying rocks.

Warning: At least the first versions of this campaign had a bug associated with the readable. If you want to read it a second time, save before that, and restore the saved game after reading. Otherwise, you might get some new objectives a second time after having fulfilled them already, and you can't fulfill them two times.

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    A. Stahl is right, there is something you have to do before an invisible barrier in the window will vanish, allowing you to jump through the window once again.

Unless something went very wrong in the mission, you should have an objective to check out Mage Thereon's plans. You need to find Thereon's diary for that. Try to look at possible hiding places from every angle you can imagine.

If you still can't find it, look at everything that looks strange.

Still no luck? Then check this outright spoiler: What you need can be found on the underside of one of the flying rocks.

Warning: At least the first versions of this campaign had a bug associated with the readable. If you want to read it a second time, save before that, and restore the saved game after reading. Otherwise, you might get some new objectives a second time after having fulfilled them already, and you can't fulfill them two times.
    I found it and did not find it. There is no confirmation that you get it like several other items in this mission. It was already in my inventory, but I had to look up a spoiler to know I even had it so that I could use it. This mission for me has been buggy like this. If you pick something up that is mission critical (or any item), you should get a notification and the item popup like is std in the game. You should not have to scroll through your inventory and accidentally find that you have something new. My 2cents.

I do not remember what exactly the goal description says about Thereon's diary, but I am rather sure it does give a hint that you should not only take this information (the diary) from Thereon, but also that you should read it. I think this is necessary to trigger a goal change here.

On the other hand, even if you blindly grabbed around ("frobbed") for the book and rather accidentally pulled it out of its hiding place, the book should have been selected and therefore visible on the screen as the currently selected item. If that did not happen, you either found an obscure bug which apparently no one mentioned before, or maybe you just have "Auto-equip" off in your Thief 2 game menu. Please check for the latter, since it is usually rather helpful to see immediately what you have just picked up - and not only in this campaign.

I must admit, though, that finding the diary is a rather difficult task here, since AFAIK, the only hint about the diary's location (namely, that Thereon may be resting "in stone form" - yes, the flying stone is indeed the mage himself, just transformed by his own spell!) is... in the diary itself! I think it was better in the version of "Bad Venture" that was released, about one year before the two-mission campaign, as a single mission. If my memory is right, the hint was somewhere else then, maybe in the sheet lying on Thereon's table, which was readable in that version. I'm not certain, though - my memory currently is not in good shape due to stressful times.

The objective comes after reading the note on the front door of the Science building:
    "It's certain that Thereon has already created the report. When you've finished with Jonas deal with that Mage."

Then, when you find 'Thereon's Notes' in his room you get Objective Complete and it's selected to open & read, not just blindly going into your inventory without any notification. And yes, you don't realize until reading his notes that the floating stone is Thereon resting.
    After reading them there's a notification sound but no text, with the New Objective:
    "Thereon has sent a messenger for reinforcements and tomorrow the Mages will infiltrate the House of Science! You should let Jonas know."

Part of the problem was that objectives often disappear after completing them, so you can't go back to see them checked off for reference, and they are replaced with the new ones so it's easier to lose track of things. Especially if using a walkthrough and you miss something or do things out of order without following the gameplay carefully, it can get to be a mess. I believe Sour Tear said he's planning to update these first two missions as he continues the campaign.

Cozy Inn Door Will Not Open

Visited Jonas in the sewers where he is dead, went to the attic in the inn & read the thief journal. Went back to dead Jonas, all the freaky stuff happens & was teleported to his first hideout in the inn. The objective regarding getting rest appears, also from the thief journal the one about the catecombs and forest key.

After the above I tried:
    1) Read the guestbook in the inn & clicked the hostess (no rooms available). Went to the cozy inn - the door is locked.
    2) Completed the catecombs and got the forest key. Repeated 1). Cozy inn door still locked.

All other goals have to do with things after the cozy inn (spiders, keepers, etc). I am now stuck. The only thing I can think of is the objective that states, "when your done with Jonas deal with that mage (therion): Which I have no clue how to do. I figured that was in part 2.

Hmm. I am sure that the "Clean & Cozy Inn" should be open by now. That does not look good.

Do you have an objective that says "There are no available rooms anywhere. But this is not a problem for you, right?", which is not fulfilled yet? This should have appeared by now.

My notes say that once you have talked a lot with Jonas after bringing him the cloud entity from the House of Science's rear entrance, the door to the "Clean & Cozy Inn" should have opened, and an objective change should have happened, after which the goal stated above should have appeared.

Furthermore, if you have read Thereon's diary just once, and then tried to go back to Jonas (who is not dead at that time yet), the objective to "deal with that mage" should have been completed. If you read the diary again after this has happened, you could indeed be the victim of a bug that still exists in the latest versions of the campaign. You would then have an objective change again, and the once fulfilled objective to "deal with that mage" would have been in the "not completed" state once again. This would not be your fault, then, but... did you read Thereon's diary a second time or not?

By "completed the catacombs", do you mean you completed an objective mentioning the catacombs? For you do not enter the catacombs in this mission. The only large underground structure you enter here is the place where you meet Farage and steal his staff. These caves are no catacombs, though.

By the way, are you playing the latest version of the campaign that was published in English, v1.6, or do you play another version? The Mission info file, accessible from all current mission loaders, should tell you that number.

Hmm. I am sure that the "Clean & Cozy Inn" should be open by now. That does not look good.

Do you have an objective that says "There are no available rooms anywhere. But this is not a problem for you, right?", which is not fulfilled yet? This should have appeared by now.

My notes say that once you have talked a lot with Jonas after bringing him the cloud entity from the House of Science's rear entrance, the door to the "Clean & Cozy Inn" should have opened, and an objective change should have happened, after which the goal stated above should have appeared.

Furthermore, if you have read Thereon's diary just once, and then tried to go back to Jonas (who is not dead at that time yet), the objective to "deal with that mage" should have been completed. If you read the diary again after this has happened, you could indeed be the victim of a bug that still exists in the latest versions of the campaign. You would then have an objective change again, and the once fulfilled objective to "deal with that mage" would have been in the "not completed" state once again. This would not be your fault, then, but... did you read Thereon's diary a second time or not?

By "completed the catacombs", do you mean you completed an objective mentioning the catacombs? For you do not enter the catacombs in this mission. The only large underground structure you enter here is the place where you meet Farage and steal his staff. These caves are no catacombs, though.

By the way, are you playing the latest version of the campaign that was published in English, v1.6, or do you play another version? The Mission info file, accessible from all current mission loaders, should tell you that number.
    This is the latest English version. There is no talking to Jonas twice. The second time you try to "see" him, he has disappeared. You then have to track him to the sewers where he is dead. You search his body and get the inn attic key. In the attic you read the thief's journal & you get multiple new objectives. One is to go back and get the crystal from Jonas in his cloak (I never gave him one to start with), another objective is to get the forest key. Once searching Jonas for the crystal (which you never actually seem to get) all the wierdness begins, the room goes dark, the monsters appear, & you get teleported to Jonas first hideout. Then you get another objective about finish some stuff up and get some rest.

As I stated above, I tried to "get some rest" after each one of those new objectives. And no I did not read the journal twice in my save. In this version there is no giving Jonas a crystal, no dialogue about money for a room, etc. It is just as I stated. I downloaded the mission from the front page of this thread.

The "catecombs" was part of the forest key objective which completed when I get the Forest key.

Do you have objective to scare Mr Cleman? If not, return to Tavern and go to 2nd room in basement to read book. You will also need empty jar from kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Estel Randir View Post
    This is the latest English version. There is no talking to Jonas twice. The second time you try to "see" him, he has disappeared. You then have to track him to the sewers where he is dead.

In this version there is no giving Jonas a crystal, no dialogue about money for a room, etc. It is just as I stated. I downloaded the mission from the front page of this thread.

The "catecombs" was part of the forest key objective which completed when I get the Forest key.
    The latest English version is 1.6 with the file name 'KeeperOfInfinity2_v1_6ENG.zip', however the readme file still says v1.5.

You talk to Jonas three times before the time he isn't there:
    1) He tells you to inspect the House of Science with a new objective for that.
    2) He gives you a crystal to absorb the entity that you find there, get new objective for that.
    3) Give back crystal, he tells you to stay another day and gives you money for the inn.

The mission is partly working and partly not for whatever reasons and probably can't be completed as intended at this point.

The area you call the catacombs where you take the key is the guard barracks.

This looks very bad now. So far, I have never experienced this mission go wrong so much. It is possible that the conversations with Jonas somehow went wrong, just like some conversations with another "quest giver" in the second mission frequently go wrong. That would most likely explain why parts of the Jonas conversations apparently never happened, and why the goals of the mission don't seem to work properly. I would recommend restarting the mission (or reloading an earlier savegame from a time before meeting Jonas for the first time), for I also doubt that there is anything that can be done to complete it from the point where Estel Randir is stuck now. Sorry, but I do not have any other idea right now.

I had already forgotten that the info file could be wrong concerning the version number...

The archive name is KeeperOfInfinity2_v1.6ENG.zip but, From the info file:

Chapter I: Bad Venture
    Chapter II: Raven's Nest

NewDark 1.23

Author: Soul Tear
    Release date: January 4, 2016
    Version 1.5

I have done nothing out of the unusual that I would not do in any other Thief mission. I might and I mean "might" restart if I have nothing else to do this weekend just to see if I get the same results. I have already restarted from multiple saves to the same results. This is also on expert if I did not mention earlier.

Game Breaking Bug Isolated

Welp, I figured out what was causing my game to break. All the issues I had in the couple of posts above - the issue is a linear scripting issue along with incomplete and poor mission objectives. I restarted from scratch. I did not fool around. I only did the minimal things to get to the first Jonas objective - find his hideout. After finding his hideout he gave me the "test" to go inspect the house of science. I saved. I then approached this two ways:

1) I went to the House Of Science, climbed the back roof and clicked on the glowing creature (cloud). I got objective complete. NOTE: The objective never said return directly to Jonas after inspecting the house of science, nor does it change to return to Jonas after completing it. If I return directly to Jonas and do not sidetrack, I get the second objective where Jonas gives me the crystal and asks me to capture the creature.

2) After leaving Jonas to inspect the house of science, I instead took a detour and climbed into Therion's window. I took the book, read it & got the objective "Therion has sent a messenger for reinforcements..... I should let Jonas know". Now at this point I did not bother going to the house of science. I went back to Jonas.. and he was gone to his hideout in the sewers. This completely breaks the game at this point. You cannot complete the mission. There is no use trying to inspect the house of science - the game is still broken.

I backed into this same bug via my normal playthrough in a different sequence of events, but the result was the same. If you read Therion's book before you complete the tasks Jonas has for you, it breaks the game.

Thief is a game of exploration as well as objectives. No one for the first time playing this would know where the house of science was. And therefore they would explore trying to find it. And they could easily do what I did, find Therion's window first & break the game. There was no explicit guidance like, "don't mess around and go to the house of science & come straight back to Jonas", etc.

Given the numerous complaints, game breaking issues, etc - the author really should pull the mission downloads until these are resolved. I do appreciate all the hard work that goes into these missions. But honestly, I would never recommend anyone play this FM.
    Last edited by Estel Randir; 6th Dec 2021 at 12:13.

Very good analysis of the problem, Estel Randir!

Yes, reading Thereon's notes before returning the filled-up crystal to Jones does break the mission, just in the way you experienced. But the author has done one or two things to prevent this.

The intended way to get to Thereon after delivering the crystal to Jonas was to go through Inspector Mercador's room in the inn, climb out of the window in that room, and go around the inn on a ledge below the window. You should then reach Thereon's window at the end of this journey. But the door to Mercador's room does open only after you give the crystal to Jonas.

There were two possibilities to circumvent this "door lock" at first. You could shoot an arrow into the door in the earlier versions of the FM, and the door would open. And you could fire a rope arrow into a certain spot on the round tower outside Thereon's window, climb the rope and jump onto the ledge.

However, both these bugs should be fixed in v1.6 of the campaign, AFAIK. So, how did you manage to get to Thereon's window?

Very good analysis of the problem, Estel Randir!

Yes, reading Thereon's notes before returning the filled-up crystal to Jones does break the mission, just in the way you experienced. But the author has done one or two things to prevent this.

The intended way to get to Thereon after delivering the crystal to Jonas was to go through Inspector Mercador's room in the inn, climb out of the window in that room, and go around the inn on a ledge below the window. You should then reach Thereon's window at the end of this journey. But the door to Mercador's room does open only after you give the crystal to Jonas.

There were two possibilities to circumvent this "door lock" at first. You could shoot an arrow into the door in the earlier versions of the FM, and the door would open. And you could fire a rope arrow into a certain spot on the round tower outside Thereon's window, climb the rope and jump onto the ledge.

However, both these bugs should be fixed in v1.6 of the campaign, AFAIK. So, how did you manage to get to Thereon's window?
    Rope into the rafter @ the outside of the building.

All of soul tears links to the files for English version are dead, and only 1 link works for Russian version. Even the last link in post462 by soul tear is dead. Since I am not Russian, I downloaded from post 460 - which stated it is the 1.6 version. And as mentioned above, the name of my mission archive states v1.6. Post #491 states the same thing reagarding the version numbers. But the info file states 1.5.
    Last edited by Estel Randir; 6th Dec 2021 at 22:44.

Tried to complete the mission the *right* way. Got the crystal with the elremental in it, gave it to Jonas, Jonas gives me money to stay the night, got the get some rest objective. Went to the other inn by the house of science, door was open, read the book, got the .."this is no problem for you" objective, got the spider in the empty can. Went back to the other inn.... none of the doors would open that would progress the mission to allow me to put the spider in the bed. Mission broken again.

I have no idea if T2Fix 1.27e has anything to do with this or not, but I am done with this mission (deleting it) and anything with soul tear's name on it. Not just because of this mission but including other comments he has made about priorities and FMs. Gluck if you decide to play this mission, you will need it

This is by far the most annoying FM i ever played, Nothing works, objectives doesn`t tick off, restart, Installed thief 2 again, again, check scripts, double check, check again, reinstall, other 800 FM`s playing correctly, except this one...This could be a really great FM for playing....If it should work :-(

Grtzz T-Linkz

Quote Originally Posted by T-Linkz View Post
    Nothing works
    Nothing? Well, in THIS case, nothing can be done.

But if something IS working, you can explain what you do and what you expect in the result and someone might suggest an explanation.

In the specific case of this mission pack, it would also be helpful to check which version number it is, as there have been several updates. Since there's at least one case (v1.6) where there's a wrong version number mentioned in the FM's info file (v1.5 is stated, see above in Estel Randir's posts), we also need to be on our toes for this possibility, depending on the version reported.

Likewise, the version number of T2Fix could further help to narrow down what might cause issues. Sorry, but sometimes, things can be complicated.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 510151617181920