Time - 43:50
    Loot - 3398/3398 (Supreme: 3248)
    Pockets Picked - 3/3
    Locks Picked - 1
    Backstabs - 0, Knockouts - 0
    Damage dealt - 0, Damage taken - 0
    Healing taken - 0, Other Kills - 0, Bodies Discovered - 0
    Consumables - none

When I was setting out to Supreme this campaign, I expected the second mission to be the tough one. The introduction was supposed to be a breeze. I was wrong. While this mission is easy to Ghost, it is insanely difficult to avoid first alerts in it due to tight interlocking patrols. Well, I welcomed the challenge.

Our goals are to find the key to the catacombs, break into Lord Karthman’s armory, leave coins near a statue for good luck, and get 2200 loot. Then, it’s time to enter the catacombs, where this mission ends and the second one begins. Here we go.

The City

My first task was getting into the cemetery to pick the armory key off the sleeping Lord Karthman. The biggest issue here was the archer stationed on the balcony across the street. Had to creep crouch strafe my way in to avoid first alerts from him and get the key. The shadows in the cemetery are a bit deceptive, so I had to rely on luck when creeping over to the opposite end. Picked up a goblet from the caretaker’s shack and hopped over the fence. This is out of the archer’s range of view, but the three other patrollers could still catch me. Pickpocketed one of them and made my way to the end of the street where I climbed a ladder. Patrollers below could still catch me up on the ledges, so had to be careful while trying to get inside Lord Brock’s estate. From here, the mission became quite easy for a while. Looting Lord Brock’s, the tower across, the inn, and the apartments posed no challenges.

Lord Gristwood’s estate was next, and it offers the best way to break into Lord Karthman’s. The guard inside patrols out into the inner balcony, the door to which is locked. Had to wait for him to unlock the door and then frob it to leave it open once he was gone. While there is another way to break into Lord Karthman’s through the apartments, it is too well-lit. This balcony offers a much safer approach. Once inside, made my way to the top floor, creeping past the stationary archer. The next room is tricky. There is a practicing archer who shoots the target and then makes a short loop around the room. Additionally, there is a swordsman who comes in and out of the room quite frequently. Timing them both, had to unlock the armory door, which the archer could alert to if he was too close, and get inside to check off the objective. I didn’t have to take anything; simply getting inside was enough. The good news is that I was able to do this Supreme-clean. The bad news is that there is an attic opening down the shooting range, and it’s hard enough to make it in there with only first alerts. Getting inside for Supreme was out of the question, which meant that 150 loot inside had to be skipped and that Perfect Supreme was busted. Returned to Gristwood estate and exited it on the other side.

To get the purse off the archer patrolling the outer balcony of Gristwood estate, used a rope to hang down from the fence. Had to be careful as he could still spot me if he got too close. Next, looted the lower floors of the brick apartment building. To get inside the pagoda, had to wait for the guard near the apartment building entrance to turn away and all patrollers who could catch me to be elsewhere before I was able to leap over. Got back the same way, and then roped up to the upper level of the apartment building.

A single guard in the corridor was easy to dodge. First, broke into the doctor’s office and looted his safe. Thankfully, I was able to pick up everything through the banner, so I didn’t have to slash it. In the next room, had to dodge the doctor himself and get out through the window. Dropped my lucky coins into the bowl under the big statue to complete another objective. The last place to loot before breaking into the church is the shops and law firm, which is essentially one building. While it is possible to get inside through the law firm and to avoid picking any locks, it is not an option for Supreme as the place is too brightly lit. Therefore, I had to rope down to the street level and pick the door to the rightmost shop to get inside. Additionally, picked up a pair of coins near a fountain next to the brick apartment building. Having looted the shops and law firm, roped back up, looted the artist’s studio, and used a ladder to get into the church.

Last edited by marbleman; 31st Jul 2019 at 12:29.

Ghost Challenge #1

Inspired by Klatremus’s Ghost Challenges, I’ve come up with my own. The challenge is to get in and out of the shops through the law firm entrance. While doing so, it is not allowed to douse the torches near the entrance, use moss arrows, or take any second alerts.

The Church

The church is easier to Ghost than city streets. The only area off limits for Supreme is the bottom floor of the nave. It is lit, tile-floored, and heavily patrolled. This also meant that I would not be able to use the front door to leave. First, climbed the tower and picked up a goblet on the balcony. Next, crept along the walkway into the back portion of the church. The high priest’s room was the biggest challenge. Had to jump inside while he was walking away from the table, grab the catacombs key, and creep out while he was moving towards the cabinet. Luckily, this key cannot be dropped, and it would not have made sense to lock-block the catacombs entrance and return the key either. The exit in the second mission is that exact same door.

The rest of the church was easy. I expected the golden hammer near the big stain glass window to be a problem, but I found out that I could just lean forward to get it. Having looted all of it, made my way back to the walkways and got out using the vent on the other side of the nave. Descended to the streets and hopped over the fence back into the cemetery. It is a bit tricky and feels almost like a double jump, but it’s possible to pull off. Finally, dropped Lord Karthman’s key back and entered the catacombs.

Notes
    - Skipped a tapestry worth 150 in Lord Karthman’s attic for Supreme. Could not enter it without at least a first alert.
    Last edited by marbleman; 31st Jul 2019 at 12:29.

Game: Thief 2
    FM: Death's Cold Embrace - Act 2, Scene 2: Cold Reception

Ghost - Success
    Perfect Thief - Success
    Supreme Ghost - Success
    Perfect Supreme - Failed
    Time - 1:00:10
    Loot - 2575/2575 (Supreme: 2375)
    Pockets Picked - 3/4
    Secrets - None
    Locks Picked - 6
    Consumables - None

See the entire report with screenshots here!
    Loot list here!
    YouTube Let's Play here!

Comments:
    Unfortunately, Cold Reception seems to me superfluous and a slightly unnecessary part of the campaign. The meeting with Robert Highwater could’ve been handled in a simpler way, without having to backtrack through very familiar territory. Even many of the loot items are in exactly the same place as in mission 2. The most interesting parts are the disappearance of Ellinsworth and the trailing of Robert Highwater. I must admit I was waiting for the next mission through the majority of this one.

So we basically had to make our way to Robert Highwater’s room and speak with him privately. I figured there would be a twist since the objective specified not to let him see us until we were alone. Nothing else was on the agenda besides no kills and getting in and out.

The Manor
    Snuck in through the gate following the conversation. I could have picked the lock on the north guard station, but I wanted to avoid that. Didn’t need to enter the south guard station; nothing but weapons in there. Looted the barracks easily enough, and got introduced to the aftermath of Ellinsworth’s demise. Quite gruesome.

There wasn’t much to report from the bottom three floors. Standard sneaking was all. I knew the layout well from before, including any dark patches good for hiding. The crypt entrance from the basement had been sealed off, but other than that, the map was the same. Had to skip the gold candlesticks in the basement and the first floor ballroom like last time. Supreme disallows dousing them. The only tough piece of loot was the nugget behind the counter in the game room. The maid there prevented entry through the hallway doors, so I came from the parlour to the north instead. Timed her random cleaning patrol in order to pick the lock on the box (see image below). Had to leave via the parlour also, and I was careful passing the maid’s view again heading south in the hall.

Lord Highwater’s office was the only place of interest on the second floor. This time I could reach it without alerts from the balcony guard as long as I snuck slowly (see image). No need to mantle the statue like last time. The Sir left his office from time to time, and he was gone long enough for me to clean his quarters. He did carry a purse and a copy of the crypt key. Found the newly appointed captain along my travels on this floor too; he also carried a purse.

The top floor had the Lord and Lady’s bedrooms accessible, while the other kids’ rooms were sealed off. Two more lit candlesticks had to be skipped in Lady Highwater’s quarters for Supreme, for a grand total of 200 loot skipped for that mode. Although I picked the lock on Lord Highwater’s bedroom, this is strictly speaking not necessary for Supreme, as the Sir has the bedroom as part of his patrol route. I only realized this after I had picked it and didn’t bother backtracking.

Robert
    I studied the Robert Highwater objective for a while before figuring out the bafflingly simple solution. I was not allowed to let him see me before he entered the crypt, yet I had to figure out that he was indeed going there. At first I thought I had to trail close by, not to let him out of my sight. If so, I had to be extremely lucky with the multitude of random patrollers on all three floors, in order to avoid any first alerts. Luckily, I realized you only have to visually see him stop atop the stairs in the courtyard. This could conveniently be done from the second floor balcony, next to the stationary guard there (see image below). That way I only had to worry about the top floor patrols and a few of the random noblemen in the second floor foyer. The guard on the balcony only alerted to me frobbing the right door, but not the left one; same when closing it. I could safely drop into the courtyard from the balcony on the west side, but I couldn’t sneak over to the stairs without him spotting me from above. The lit window right by the door was too bright. I could reach the stairs unseen coming from the first floor hallway though. Had to inch my way down the top stairs to avoid the comment. The crypt itself was uneventful in terms of ghosting. Had to return the old key to Lord Highwater’s patrol route afterwards for Supreme.

Left the manor via the kitchen exit, though it took a while to find an opening with all the patrollers. Dodging the last guard by the south courtyard gate also turned out to be tricky. There was no room to sneak by without nudging, which is only allowed as a last resort for Ghost and disallowed for Supreme. I eventually found I could mantle the inside wall by the broken door, and furthermore onto the roof to the south unseen (see image below). The easiest way to check the last objective from here was to inch off the roof directly to the west. I got an ‘objective complete’ even before fully falling off.

Notes
    - Skipped a gold candlestick (50) outside the basement servants’ quarters. Dousing the flame in order to take the loot is a Supreme bust.
    - Skipped another candlestick (50) in the first floor ballroom for Supreme, for the same reason as above.
    - Skipped the final two candlesticks (100) for Supreme in Lady Highwater’s bedroom on the third floor.
    Last edited by klatremus; 22nd Oct 2019 at 20:54.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

I have a question. I was checking list of missions not ghosted yet and I noticed that there is a lot of Cardia's missions there. Some of these missions have no enemy in them, so you don't need to avoid any alert. So there is no difference between normal playthrough and ghosting. Well, maybe except supreme ghost where you need to close doors.

These missions are: The Gift, Melancholy in Porto, Mr. Turmoil, Ana's Secret and Umbelina and Time for Culture. Do you still desire ghost report for these missions?

All missions are valuable to have reports on. It doesnt matter how easy they are. Like you said, Supreme has other challenges like relocking doors, no triggering of traps, no property damage, etc.

That's good to know. Thanks.

Game: Thief 2
    FM: Death's Cold Embrace - Act 2, Scene 3: Waking the Dead

Ghost - Success
    Perfect Thief - Success
    Supreme Ghost - Success
    Perfect Supreme - Success
    Time - 1:08:16
    Loot - 5155/5155
    Pockets Picked - 4/5
    Secrets - 7/7
    Locks Picked - 0
    Healing taken - 0, Other Kills - 0, Bodies Discovered - 3
    Consumables - None

See the entire report with screenshots here!
    Loot list here!
    YouTube Let's Play here!

Comments:
    This is a very strong and immensely enjoyable mission. A beautiful cathedral compound with spellbinding atmosphere and a thrilling plot twist. The audio-visual experience is top shelf. Not too difficult before the surprise meet, when things get a lot more challenging. This one can be perfect supremed, but the last third is quite unpredictable and I imagine could break the ghost for some. Having plenty of hardsaves is crucial at that point. Lots of hidden loot as well. It’s been a long time since my count was that low after the first playthrough. This campaign is now sailing up as one of the all-time best. And there’s still more to come!

So, we were finally getting serious. We had to break into St. Aldan’s cathedral and dig up Julia’s body. We had to find a shovel first, plus 2,500 worth of loot. Lastly, we needed to leave through the front gates, something which wouldn’t end up being as straight forward as it sounded.

Due to my foreknowledge of the turn regarding Edwin, I wanted to make sure I got all the loot I could before exhuming Julia. Once the undead would spawn, although they would disappear once I replaced Edwin’s body in the grave, at that point any surviving hammerite would be on high alert, potentially blocking progress through certain areas. Then, even regular ghosting would be far too unpredictable to leave anything to chance. The graveyard would therefore be the last place I’d visit. I was carrying 3 rope arrows, so no need to look for those.

St. Aldan’s Cathedral
    A purse lay on a windowsill in the opening courtyard (see image). Easy to miss that one. The door up here was locked and unpickable. The basement acolyte could see me through the purple windows, so I waited for him to walk away before entering. Other than his little dance, there was nothing to report from this floor. There was a locked gate further east, but it didn’t protect any loot.

Arriving on the ground floor, there was only one patrolling hammerite in the northwest. I cleaned this section easy enough. Found one of the gems mentioned in the readable atop a beam further south. Next, I went upstairs and cleaned Thaddeus’ floor. Again only one patroller and he was easy to dodge. A nicely placed nugget lay by the foot of a statue beyond the walkway railing (see image below).

Back downstairs I moved on to the library. Both the visuals and ambiance were breathtaking (see image). Found another gem on a ledge here; that made 2 out of 3. A couple of patrollers in here, but there were plenty of shadows to help me out. Reached the loot goal as I took a candlestick in one of the study halls to the north. Cleaned the “unreachable” balcony and the larger study hall nearby also with ease. The entire compound was so far requiring nothing but standard sneaking.

Passed through the inner courtyard and approached the main chapel from the west. Found a very cleverly hidden tiara embedded in a mosaic window near here. Don’t think I’ve seen that before. I expected the chapel to be more difficult. There was only one patroller solely confined to the chapel, with one more passing through, and an archer occasionally stationed on the upper balconies. I think more of the torches should’ve been lit on expert, plus an extra pivoting hammerite by the pulpit. Generally, none of the loot items were even remotely challenging to steal. Found the third and last gem by one of the statues here as well (see image below), plus heaps of scattered coins and left behind loot items between the pews.

The graveyard had lots of loot, some of which was well-hidden. Three patrolling hammerites with fairly long routes. I could dig up Julia in peace, but that seemed to have disturbed it. First time around I thought I had released the undead then and there, but realized they were just audio cues playing on repeat. Nothing had changed around the compound just yet.

The Dead Awaken
    Once trying to escape with Julia, things got real. First I met Julia’s brother Edwin, or his ghost, who told me in order to lay the spirits to rest, I needed to put his body into Julia’s grave and cover it back up. Then his farewell note needed to be put on Thaddeus’ desk. Plenty of haunts, zombies and apparitions had spawned around the compound. Ensuing fights were widespread and highly unpredictable.

My first task was to enter the main chapel unseen. The westernmost access forced me through a bright room with a single haunt. He had just downed an acolyte and was in seemingly constant hunt mode. I quickly scrapped that idea. The main entrance actually seemed the better option. I could rush through the double doors and observe the fights unbothered. It was very easy to detect any alerts, as the enemies were all either involved in fights or in hunt mode. If they saw me, they would come chasing. The chapel had a hammer haunt, an undead priest and a zombie. Currently, there was a lone guard fighting them. Replaying the scenario a couple of times, I realized the priest’s blows could accidentally kill the zombie. This happened on more than one occasion. Testing this further, one time the guard downed the priest and the haunt quickly, and ended up fighting the zombie heads up. This was too good to pass up, so I saved and replayed until the zombie also got killed (see image below). At this time, another hammerite came in through a door to the south and they both ended up searching around. Like I suggested earlier, more of the torches were now lit, making traversing anywhere near the alter impossible. With their backs turned, I instead made a run for the door to the west. The big pillar in the middle provided valuable hard cover. Safely out the exit from here. Phew!

It seemed like undead spawned by Garrett’s proximity. As I neared the library from the west, I heard commotion going on a few rooms away. This lured a hammer haunt towards the south and I got time to scoot upstairs towards Thaddeus’. Here came another big problem. Eavesdropping on Thaddeus’ door, I could hear the hammerite from earlier searching around, probably alerted by the noises downstairs. Then as I passed the threshold of the doorway, he started fighting an apparition. It was almost like there was an invisible tripwire that spawned the apparition, as I could stand listening for the guard, then the instant I stepped into the room the shooting would commence. I could partly observe the fight from the doorway (see image above). The hammerite normally won, as his blows were a lot faster. Plus, the apparition did a slow animation once hit, exposing it to subsequent hits from the guard. No matter who won though, the prevailing enemy would always end up searching right by the door to Thaddeus’ office, leaving me no opportunity to get to the adjacent library. I saved once the apparition won the fight, but in retrospect this is not a smart thing, as it lights up a small radius around its body and catches you the instant is comes close. The office itself was also super bright, and although there was a switch, turning off the lights is not allowed for Supreme. I actually ended up heading back downstairs and rope arrowed up the railing on the east side. Most of the enemies in the downstairs library had died anyway. There was a single haunt to dodge, but he wandered quite a long distance. In the meantime, the apparition from upstairs must have somehow fumbled over the railing, as it was suddenly nowhere to be seen. Since it doesn’t leave a corpse, it must have gotten killed. At this point, I took whatever I could get. Found Edwin in the hidden passageway (see image). Brought his note to the office and lugged him along towards the grave.

Originally I wanted to cross through the inner courtyard, since I thought it to be empty, but since last time I was there a hammerite must have spawned and killed a zombie. At least there he was stationed in the snow, with body parts strewn all around. So instead I had to pass through the library, again dodging the haunt there. The large study hall further east had a single female zombie roving about, but she was quite easy to sneak by.

The last issue was placing Edwin’s body and covering the casket. The problem was the haunts and zombie in the courtyard to the east. Passing the gate was very bright, due to the nearby torch and candles by the gravestone. Remember, Supreme disallows putting those out. However, it was just a matter of patience, waiting for all of them to be away from the gate or having their backs turned. Once past the gate, I could do my deeds from southeast of the casket. I was out of view of the adjacent courtyard and could reach the dirt with my shovel (see image below).

To get back to Julia’s body, the main problem was the chapel. Since the hammerites had won the fights in that area, most of them were still alive. I actually had to circumvent the compound and approach from the west. However, upon entry, the guards quickly settled and went back to their former patrol routes. A few acolytes had spawned it seemed, and they just remained standing when settled. Luckily, they were either facing east or too far away to be an issue. From here, the route out was easy and I could finish the mission with Supreme intact.

Notes
    - The bodies discovered are from the hammerite guards fighting the undead. It has nothing to do with me, so no bust.
    Last edited by klatremus; 28th Oct 2019 at 20:55.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Hehe, I don't have the fondest memories of trying to Ghost that one A Perfect Supreme success there is quite something. Can't wait to see the video report!

Yeah you basically have to replay and wait for a lucky break towards the end there. I though replacing Edwin's body would be the biggest deal, but that didn't turn out to be that bad. Worst was the chapel and getting out of Thaddeus' office.

Game: Thief Gold
    FM: Catacombs of Knoss Part 2

Ghost - Failed but possible
    Perfect Thief - Failed
    Supreme Ghost - Failed
    Perfect Supreme - Failed
    Time - 1:01:03
    Loot - 4973/4973 (Supreme: 4408)
    Pockets Picked - 0/0
    Locks Picked - 0
    Consumables - none

And now, it’s time for the main course. After all, the campaign is called Catacombs of Knoss, and that’s what we have to deal with: a huge underground compound, partially hammer-built, partially mage-built. This is a fun mission, and it gains a lot from its setting and ambience. Good crypt missions are much more rare these days than, say, good city missions. As a fan of non-human environments, I’m always happy to play something like this.

Our goals are to get into the Tomb of Necromancer Knoss, steal his Grimoire, get 3200 loot, and get out. More objectives become available later, but they are all linked to the first one. Additionally, there are two hidden objectives, which I also wanted to complete. The mission is not hard to Ghost overall, but it has a few immensely challenging bits, which I had some fun figuring out. Here we go.

The Upper Catacombs

The starting area has only a few sleeping zombies. There’s a purse next to one of them, and to get it without alerts, had to rush in, grab the purse, and then immediately jump over the zombie. Found that the “main” entrance to the Tomb of Knoss is caved in and got a new objective: to gain access to it from the Lower Catacombs. Picked up a key near the skeleton, lock-blocked the door into the ossuary, and immediately returned the key.

A few easy-to-avoid zombies roamed the ossuary, but there is also a new enemy type – the floating lanterns. These don’t react to Garrett in any way and, as confirmed by the author, are not supposed to be hostile. However, they get startled and quickly float away should they hear a loud noise, such as an arrow impact, and that I took as a Ghost bust.

First, tackled the Hall of the Hundred Heroes. It is devoid of AI save for a few floating lanterns, and on each level, there is a chest with loot. Opening each of those triggered various traps, so I had to skip all of it for Supreme. There is also a secret switch opening several chambers with loot and stationary zombies, and levers. By solving the puzzle (the solution to which I’ll omit here) and flipping specific levers, opened the secret tomb at the lower level and got the Chisel. Hurray! Picking it up spawned a bonus objective, and I also could drop it back immediately since it doesn’t do anything. The objective remained ticked off. I then had to reset all the levers inside each chamber as well as the lever that opened them up. On the lowest level is a chest with one of the keys needed to get to the lower Catacombs, opening which spawns in a bunch of ghost archers, all in hunt mode. Luckily, as long as no floating lantern was in the area, it was possible to safely creep out of there. However, I had to tackle the Water Shrine first since the only way to exit it is through this area, and it is impossible to sneak out if the archers are already here.

The Water Shrine gave me quite some trouble the first time through. The premise here is the following: the player swims in through the main underwater entrance, opens the chest, which triggers a trap and spawns in two invisible haunts wielding huge swords, gets busted, and has to flee through the corridor behind. It’s pretty exciting but, of course, busts Ghosting. By a lot. Now, I obviously had to at least open the chest, so spawning in the haunts and indirectly alerting them to hunt mode with the triggered trap was unavoidable. However, it is not necessary to take third alerts from them. I could block the main shrine doors with any potion, leaving a safe exit route for myself. I could then reach the chest from under the water and descend quickly enough to avoid being seen by the haunts. Afterwards, I only needed to swim out and pick up the vial, which would let the door close properly. Frobbing the chest for the second time triggers the trap again and alerts the haunts even more, so I left it open. It feels like less of a bust to me. Leaving the shrine through the secret exit, arrived at the lowest level of the Hall of the Hundred Heroes, opened the chest mentioned earlier, and snuck out.

The last two places to visit are King of the Night Sun and Nameless Ancients. It would be logical to enter the former first, but for Supreme, there was no need. There is a piece of loot in a secret chamber on the upper level, but it acts as a light source, so I could not take it. I also could not descend to the lower level from here because of a sneaky zombie standing too close to the ladder. Luckily, I could enter this place from the Nameless Ancients’s side. The latter is a small claustrophobic tomb with a single sleeping zombie and a floating lantern. Had to take two first alerts from the former going in and out of the place as there is no way to rush or jump past him. Additionally, opening the chest with the third key triggered two traps shooting out broadhead arrows, which could spook the lantern. Decided to leave this chest open as well. Finally, opening the chest in the King of the Night Sun’s tomb spawned in two skeleton spiders on the other side of the room. Since the area is brightly lit, rushing out without alerts did not work. However, if I creep-crouch-strafed away from the chest, I could remain undetected.

Last edited by marbleman; 2nd Aug 2019 at 17:31.

The Lower Catacombs

With the four keys in hand, I was finally able to unlock the door to the Lower Catacombs. The first place I arrived at was the Tower of Runelight. Here, it makes sense to do things a little bit out of order. Avoiding the zombies around the area, first hopped over to the Tower of Silence and picked up the Eye of Knoss. Then, jumped back over and made my way to the lower levels where I got the Brain of Knoss. Finally, from the lowest level, entered the Tower of Silence again and read a scroll, triggering a whole bunch of new objectives. In addition to getting the two body parts I had already found, I also had to get Knoss’s heart, liver, hand, and ashes. Dropped the scroll back right away. Of note here is another item for pick up: the Talisman of Atunement. It can be used from the inventory infinitely, and each time, it teleports the player back to the Tower of Runelight. It can be handy for backtracking, but it’s not necessary to take it.

Now it's finally time to talk about the area proper. The central undercavern is a huge place with a bridge connecting a few of the towers, and an apparition patrolling it. He seems to have excellent vision, so I only moved when he was fully turned away or behind hard cover. Down below are a bunch more zombies and skeleton spiders, but they are not very good at looking up, so they were not much of an issue.

First, decided to tackle the Ziggurat of Elders. Had to solve a simple puzzle in the Tower of Doors to get there and jump over a pressure plate to avoid setting off a trap going in and out. The ziggurat is one of the tougher areas. It is patrolled by a bunch of carrion children, which act like bugbeasts but are much tougher, walk even slower, and have a new voice set. It was easy to detect second alerts, but the first ones were seemingly the same sounds as the idle chatter. Thus, I had to be extra attentive and patient while getting the Stomach and Liver of Knoss. The toughest part was passing the tight corridor on the middle level while the carrion child was turning around in a side room, but I ultimately managed to avoid any busts. At least, I think so.

The Tower of Dead Thoughts was next. No issues here: four levels patrolled by a single, easy-to-avoid haunt. Frobbing a book on each level makes them float towards the center of the tower and then collapse into a bunch of pages, revealing the chest with the Heart of Knoss. Is this property damage to the books or just a cool particle effect? I’d say that it’s the latter.

Now that I was on the lowest level, it made sense to exit into the undercavern and head through the burrick colony towards the lowest vault. First, picked up a hard-to-get tiara. It’s a tricky piece since the area around it is lit, gravel-floored, and uneven, making it hard to move without noise. Going through the burrick colony, I was able to get the purse on top of the bridge, since it’s much safer to approach it from this side, but had to skip a purse in the lower part of the caverns. The area is well-lit, has a stationary burrick, and is patrolled by a few more. There was simply not enough time to creep-crouch in while the patrollers were away. An easy pickup for Ghost, but a no-go for Supreme.

To gain access to the lowest vault, had to cross the River of Fire. What the player is supposed to do is use the stepping stones sticking out of the lava. However, they sink into it and never resurface, so I see them as traps. Luckily a good angled jump allowed me to get over to the other side without needing to touch any of them. In the next room, the player is supposed to shoot the button to extend the bridge, but once again, a good jump circumvents the need to do that. Picked up the Ashes of Knoss and teleported back to the undercavern.

Entered the burrick colony once again, but this time took the opposite way and arrived at the Halls of Eternal Tranquility. Approaching them from here is by far the best option. Out of all the places in the lower Catacombs, this one is the biggest and, in my opinion, the toughest to Ghost. To gain access to the Hand of Knoss, I had to collect five golden bones and drop them into a casket on the top level. The toughest bit is the beginning. Entering the area triggers a continuous magic missile emitter similar to how it worked in the Bonehoard. While this in itself is not a bust, the missiles alert a nearby zombie to hunt mode, and he becomes quite bothersome to pass. Having waited for him to turn away long enough, plunged into the water below, which is the only way to progress. There is no telling whether I could have avoided a second alert from the splash were this zombie not already second alerted, but it’s likely since the water is quite far below. To get the purse in the bone pile and not get alerts from sleeping zombies, had to begin to mantle out of the water, get the purse, and release the jump key so that Garrett would fall back in. The rest of the area went smoothly… and slowly. Along the way, there are a bunch of zombies to avoid, and the problem is that while there are a lot of dark shadows, very few of them are perfect ones, and some of the passages are pretty narrow. As a result, I had to stay away from the zombies most of the time and wait for them to pass. In the end, I got the hand and was also able to pick up the golden bones again, which now acted as loot and spawned a bonus objective.

The Tomb of Knoss

Returned to the undercavern, entered the Tower of Knoss, and placed each of his body parts into the corresponding collection plate. This activated a magic elevator, which I rode up to his tomb and sent it back once I was up there. Knoss’s tomb is one of the easier areas of the mission. Knoss, the floating bleeding skull, is completely silent and upon alerting starts moving around. Additionally, there are two haunts patrolling the outer circle. Getting both the Grimoire floating above and the loot in Knoss’s casket is no problem with a bit of patience. Next, opened up the secret exit, which deposited me in the starting area and allowed me to finish the mission.

Alternate Route

It is possible to Ghost the mission by using an engine exploit. LostCitizen found out that the lever in the Tomb of Knoss, which opens the way back to the starting area, can be frobbed from the other side. Thus, it is possible to enter the tomb right away, circumventing the need to visit the Water Shrine. However, along with the Water Shrine, the entire Upper Catacombs section has to be skipped. As mentioned earlier, finding the key to open the door to the ossuary triggers the objective to gain access to the Lower Catacombs. The way to check it off is not to enter the area, however, but to get and use the four keys located in the Upper Catacombs, one of which is, obviously, the Water Shrine key. Therefore, to make this route work, a whopping 1602(!) loot has to be skipped, which leaves barely enough loot in the rest of the mission to fulfil the objective. From the Tomb of Knoss, it is possible to descend into the Lower Catacombs by jumping down and mantling one of the statues at the bottom to avoid taking damage. It is tricky but doable. Then, the Lower Catacombs section would go pretty much as I described above. The player would still need to collect all of Knoss's body parts to activate the magic elevator and ascend back to the tomb as well as gather enough loot.

Notes
    - Triggered a trap opening the chest in the Water Shrine. A Supreme bust.
    - Said trap alerted two haunts to hunt mode. Ghost bust.
    - Left the Water Shrine chest open to avoid triggering the trap again. A Supreme bust.
    - Took two first alerts from a sleeping zombie in the Nameless Ancients tomb. Two Supreme busts.
    - Triggered two traps by opening the chest in the Nameless Ancients tomb. Two more Supreme busts.
    - Left the Nameless Ancients chest open to avoid triggering the traps again. A Supreme bust.
    - The ghost archers in the Hall of the Hundred Heroes spawned in hunt mode. No bust.
    - The zombie in the Halls of Eternal Tranquility second alerted to the magic missile emitter. Nothing to do with me, so no bust.
    - Skipped 365 loot in the Hall of the Hundred Heroes for Supreme. Opening each chest triggers a trap.
    - Skipped a scepter worth 100 loot in the King of the Night Sun tomb for Supreme. It acts as a light source.
    - Skipped a purse worth 100 in the burrick colony for Supreme. Could not get it without first alerts.
    - Edit: It is possible to Ghost the mission by using an engine exploit. The way is described in the last section of the report. Personally though, it is not worth breaking the mission in half simply to adhere to Ghosting rules.
    Last edited by marbleman; 2nd Aug 2019 at 17:31.

Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    [B]Said trap alerted two haunts to hunt mode. Ghost bust.
    Wait, I thought that haunts gets summoned after trap makes noise and their hunt mode is scripted. I may be wrong though.

To klatremus: "The Keepers are Thirsty" FM is listed in Ghost reports list and unreported FMs list. I have checked the whole list and I think that's the only mistake.

It's very hard to gauge what alerts the haunts. The trap definitely makes noise, and, while I might be wrong, it seems that the haunts start moving only once the missile hits the wall. If the haunts' response is scripted and the trap doesn't alert them, it would mean that the mission is ghostable.
    Last edited by marbleman; 1st Aug 2019 at 18:28.

Galaer: Thank you for checking the list. Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't more mistakes. But the fact the same mission is on both lists, it's probably an error, unless two missions have the same name, in which case I should've denoted the author(s) for easy distinction. Will check when I get off work.

Marbleman: Definitely check with a dromeditor if the haunts trigger in hunt mode. If they do, it's no bust. Here it could make or break the ghost.

Okay, I've decided that it was fine to check it myself since I was already done with the mission, and yeah, the haunts are not alerted normally. They definitely alert to the trap.

ADMIRAL'S COMPASS

Admiral's Compass is one of these blocky missions that looks like someone's first mission. It's not very pleasant to look. Streets are long and wide and also very well lighted. There is usually 1 guard that patrols one street. Loot isn't very well hidden. I didn't have any problem with finding it.

So how does that look from ghosting experience? Surprisingly it's challenging. I decided to do regular ghost run. Also I bought 1 rope arrow. I will need it for beginning. There are few rope arrows at the end of mission, but I don't feel like returning back to the beginning of this mission is very fun. I also bought bunch of water arrows. Though I have no idea if I'm gonna use them.

BEGINNING

At the start above your head is wooden balcony. Roping there is easy. Looting it and grabbing key is also easy. Just lean forward to grab them. Return path is much harder. You need to descend on the rope from balcony. But there is no extra wooden beam, only wooden balcony you stand on. I leaned to the side and shoot rope arrow into balcony. If you try to normally descend on rope, you will get propelled to the statue, third alert a guard and lose some health. I found that dropping on rope from sharp angle helps to grab a rope. From rope drop down without any alert.

Time to start ghosting city. There are 2 guards on both sides and 1 guard patrolling further street on both sides. I went right behind guard and waited in street passage for darker street to be cleared. Be careful - going too fast can second alert guard you pass. Crouching in full shadow is safe here. Guard will walk onto you, and pass you without noticing you. Now I go to the street on the other side to grab purse and another key and return back to this dark street. Here is door opened by the key from balcony area.

GETTING INFO SCROLL

Here is the archer that turns in 3 directions. You need to rope up into passage above him. I did stupid mistake and put rope arrow on the side where he looks, so it was more tricky for me. Don't do the same mistake. Shoot to the side you enter.

Use left passage. Be careful of patrollers below you. Next is corridor with archer. Go east nad grab orange key from guard. In corner of street you have safe shadow. Return inside and open west door with orange key.

Go immediately into right corner. You can get some loot, but not everything. Also you can't grab scroll without third alert. And you need this scroll for objective. The only way to get it and rest of loot is by nudging right guard. It took me 25 min of nudging to grab scroll and all loot including purse on second guard and went back to street on the east.

GETTING TO DOCKS

Next is hatch area. There are 2 guards with loot patrolling it and third guard that visits this area with key that we obtained from him earlier. I need to go to SE street. In order to do that I needed to sneak behind third guard into west street and time my way into SE street. It can be a little tricky. The archer in this street has a very key to ship where Admiral's compass is located.

Now your target is using hatch to get into sewers. It can be tricky to time all 3 guards. Slowly descend on ladder and swim the tunnel. Just before docks is spider cave. There are 2 pieces of loot. Gold hammer can be obtained by crouching while having in front skeleton hand and leaning forward for a very short time. But silver nugget is impossible without spider attacking you. Maybe with moss arrow it would be possible, but I don't have it yet. It's very easy to silently drop into water. Swim to docks.

DOCKS

First let's check city part of docks. Some guards here have rings - a loot that easy to miss. There are 2 buildings. First building has archer and 2 stationary guards. Loot from tables is easy to get. There are 2 moss arrows on right table. Unfortunately they don't help in getting silver nugget from spider cave.

To get to other building you need to sneak behind guard to shadow. Second building is well patrolled. There is guard patrolling corridor on both sides and other 2 that makes circles around entrance door and the other near locked door on the other side. Sneaking through these patrollers is very tricky. Opening locked door is quite mean. On the opposite side of door is dark shadow with lock hidden in it. Very easy to miss. Use lockpicks, loot room and close door. Then return to starting point of docks.

Swim to first boat with spiders. From water you can grab a purse. Get to second boat and get 3 pieces of loot. Then get to ladder and enter ship.

SHIP

The first room is easy to sneak through. Also patrolling thief has ring. In the next room use ladder to go down. Use control panel twice to disable these annoying blinking lights. Go up. Time to go to back of ship. On both sides there are patrolling thieves and some shadow in the middle. Shadow isn't safe, but you can rope up on wooden wall to avoid alert. After thief will pass, descend and grab rope arrow. Back of the ship is only ghostable after disabling lights. It has 2 pieces of loot on both thieves. Return to ladders and go up.

Open door. Here is Captain Regalio. He's turning left and right randomly and stays in one position for random amount of time. He has a key for his loot chests. On left table is some loot, on right - compass you need. Be fast and lucky to succeed. Leave and go up. Here are 2 loot chest with last loot. Open them with Regalio's key. It's not over yet. Dropping on ladder is possible, but very tricky. Alternatively you can use rope arrow to descend and jump to ladder. By the way, you can find the only 3 rope arrows in this mission exactly in one of these blue chests. Go down and leave ship. Swim to pier to end this mission.

STATS:

Time: 1 hour 15 min 46 s; Loot: 2704/2754
    Pockets Picked: 22/28; Locks Picked: 5
    Back Stabs: 0; Knock Outs: 0
    Damage Dealt: 0; Damage Taken: 0; Healing Taken: 0
    Innocents killed: 0; Others killed: 0

GHOST: SUCCESS
    PERFECT THIEF: FAILED.
    I skipped silver nugget from spider cave. It was impossible to get it - spiders will always attack you before you get close enough to highlight it.
    SUPREME GHOST: NOT POSSIBLE. One of the reasons is in order to get a scroll (which completes one of the objectives), you need to nudge a guard. But even before that - just entering this room means first alert from guards. I registered a bunch of first alerts too.

4TH PLANET

This mission is mostly about story and atmosphere. Ghosting part starts at the end of mission. You have no light crystal, but mission gives so much leeway that it's not a problem. Also no loot.

I was forced by game to grab thermo suit and my equipment from Armory. Otherwise switches opening progress doors don't highlight. I needed also to grab teleport gem in order to get out of ruins after explosion. There is no other way out. I don't think any of these are supreme busts. For exit - just wait for Mechanists to kill all beasts first.

STATS:

Time: 23 min 29 s; Loot: 0/0
    Enemies Killed: 0
    Secrets: 0/0

SUPREME GHOST: SUCCESS

Are you going through the unreported missions alphabetically? That would be awesome. Nice work!

Here's something interesting about Catacombs of Knoss mission 2. Though it is clearly unintended, the Tomb of Knoss can be entered right away by frobbing the lever through the moving sarcophagus. Thus, it is actually possible to Ghost (and maybe even Supreme if this is not an engine exploit).

However, it's not my discovery; LostCitizen reported it in the thread and I've just verified that it works. I probably would not have found it out on my own, so I wouldn't be editing my report or making another one, but I can imagine how it would go:
    - The key at the very beginning of the mission has to be skipped because it spawns the objective to get access to the Lower Catacombs. This objective gets checked off only upon using the four keys and not upon reaching the Lower Catacombs, so it must be avoided.
    - As a result, the entire Upper Catacombs section has to be skipped, so all the busts taken in the Water Shrine and the Nameless Ancients tomb would also not be an issue. On the other hand, all the loot in it would be inaccessible as well. I should also note that I didn't count how much loot there is in the Upper Catacombs, but I'm pretty sure the rest of the mission has enough of it to meet the objective.
    - It is possible to jump down into the undercavern from the Tomb of Knoss and mantle one of the statues below to survive. It's a very long drop!
    - Then, going through the Lower Catacombs would go pretty much the same way. The player would still need to fulfil the loot objective and to activate the elevator to get back up.

I'd still prefer going through the mission the intended way since reaching that lever is too immersion-breaking, and I don't like skipping large chunks of any mission.
    Last edited by marbleman; 1st Aug 2019 at 18:23.

Very interesting, marbleman! I agree with your reasoning that if it breaks immersion too much, it almost isn't worth it, even if it means a successful ghost. It would perhaps be nice if you tested this further (as in verified that the method works and that there indeed is enough loot to meet the objective) and then edited the report above to make this clear. You could even just link to the post you just made in the stats of the report, or whatever way you prefer.

Will do that a bit later. Can you clarify whether this breaks Supreme though? I don't think it does since frobbing an object through another object is not an exploit. It's similar to reaching loot through banners.

It really depends on how you are reaching the lever. Is there a gap or a logical way to reach the lever through the sarcophagus? When reaching through a banner or even a window to grab something beyond, one can imagine Garrett's hand being nimble enough to reach it, but say leaning through a door or, worse yet, frobbing something through a solid door that one cannot even see, this would be clear engine exploits. Leaning through and frobbing something through a grate on the other hand would be possible, because there are holes through which Garrett could reach. Perhaps this better makes you understand the principles at work. I don't want to be dogmatic, but there is a certain logic to what is an exploit and what isn't.

Interesting discussion nonetheless. Of course, it would be better if I just went ahead and tried it myself. Is it in the very beginning of the mission?

Edit: I tried. Simply skipped the first level, didn't read objectives. I think I found the sarcophagus in question. There seems to be a track on the floor. Am I supposed to frob a lever on the backside of it? I tried that, but without success.
    Last edited by klatremus; 2nd Aug 2019 at 02:54.

BASIC

This mission is a showcase what is possible with Dromed. It doesn't have finish point, so I'm just gonna get to starting point and use cheat to finish this mission. It's impossible to get all the loot. One of golden nuggets is placed outside the world and it's inaccessible. There are 2 patrolling barrels called HorrorZero, but they aren't any problem. It's easy to ghost them.

STATS:

Time: 4 min 19 s; Loot: 2500/2600
    Locks Picked: 0
    Back Stabs: 0; Knock Outs: 0
    Innocents Killed: 0; Others Killed: 0

PERFECT THIEF: SUCCESS.
    1 gold nugget is inaccessible, but I was informed by klatremus that it's not an issue to claim success in this when loot is outside the level.
    SUPREME GHOST: SUCCESS
    PERFECT SUPREME: SUCCESS
    Last edited by Galaer; 2nd Aug 2019 at 04:30.

Yes, it is the very beginning. There is no logical way for Garrett to see or reach that lever, so yeah, it's not like one could imagine that he's sliding an arm under a banner or inbetween the openings in a grate.

Edit: Yeah you found the correct sarcophagus. There is a specific spot where you can reach the lever. Let's just call it an engine exploit.
    Last edited by marbleman; 2nd Aug 2019 at 03:02.

Galaer: If you are sure the nugget is outside the world and not accessible, then only 2500 is available and Perfect Thief is a success. If it's not possible to get the loot even when not ghosting, then it is not required to take to achieve Perfect Thief.

marbleman: I just managed to frob it like you explained. Yes, this would be a clear engine exploit. There is no logical way for Garrett to reach it, and it was never intentional from the author. It would be allowed for Ghost though as a last resort, but I gather it is not a last resort as you can enter by other non-exploitive means. Unless somehow entering that way makes you able to avoid alerting the haunts that busted ghost in the first place...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast