TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What are you gonna watch?

Goodsir/Paul Ready is another standout, true. I think I'd only previously noticed Paul Ready in Utopia, where his role couldn't have been more different.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    You're making a pun on Graham Gore, right? The Terror's one of the best shows of recent times, but because it's fantastic drama first and foremost, never mind the fantastical parts at the margins, or the gore. Also, Jared Harris is fantastic in everything (not to mention The Expanse apart from Chernobyl - hey, Anderson Dawes!), but he's doubly fantastic in The Terror.
    No, I'm talking about gore. Blood 'n guts 'n stuff.

And I'm not at all complaining about the quality of the show. It's fantastic. But after watching through it and Chernobyl back to back, I need some, you know, levity.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Comeon, Henke. At least show the redband trailer. MAXIMIZE THAT GORE!
    Yeah but the red band trailer had one of those annoying 5-second mini-trailers for the trailer at the start of the trailer. No amount of gore is worth putting up with that.

Moderator and Priest
    Good point. I hate those teaser trailers for the trailers.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    No, I'm talking about gore. Blood 'n guts 'n stuff.

And I'm not at all complaining about the quality of the show. It's fantastic. But after watching through it and Chernobyl back to back, I need some, you know, levity.
    Well, good thing there's a new season of Aggretsuko out then. Though that may just be trading one show about human worries for another, regardless of the animal people faces.

I've been binge watching Time Team UK but there are several seasons missing from Amazon's catalog. I had to skip from season 11 to 17 and it's annoying because the changes in crew members is so extreme that it doesn't seem like the same show except for Tony Robinson looks older.

Level 10,000 achieved

Well, this is a thing. Can't tell if it's a remake or a sequel, but's definitely... a thing.

I probably don't need to ask if that's actually Tom Cruise flying a jet tho. I imagine the main reason he'd be onboard with a new Top Gun movie was actually getting to fly the plane himself.

The F-18 can be a two-seater, he's flying alright, but backseat. Still pretty damn awesome, for sure. I'm stoked, but then when planes are involved I'm pretty easy to convince

Still Subjective
    I never read the books or played the games, but imma give The Witcher a go.

Moderator and Priest
    Well hell, that looks pretty good.

Moderator and Priest
    Though why the hell would you drink enough potions to drive your toxicity up to 100 just to fight a kikimore?

This is a sensational story. The financing of the The Wolf of Wall Street is as or even more corrupt than the actual story it tells. I should watch it again just based on that knowledge alone.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thanks for sharing that, it's pretty insane what degrees of evil some people feel perfectly comfortable committing.

Administrator
    There’s quite an interesting series on Amazon with Kal Penn looking at global economy topics - including corruption and that Jho Low guy. Also how we’re all fucked if the world’s rubber supply gets wiped out by a tree blight getting to south East Asia from South America.

Roughly two-thirds of world rubber is synthetic already. The U.S. relied on synthetics extensively in WWII as the Axis controlled the natural sources.

Interesting aside, the rubber industry was known for some of the worst labor rights violations in history, cf. Congo Free State.
    But even today both the natural and synthetic rubber industries in developing countries have inherited a version of that, definitely when it reaches the consumer good stage, and you still see major labor rights problems.

But for that matter, basically every extractive and small consumer good industry in developing countries has labor rights problems.
    Well, I can speak for South & Southeast Asia, but I could presume Latin America & Africa have similar issues.

You sometimes see reports or docs on problems in this or that industry, sweatshops for Nike shoes or H&M shirts, but they don't really give you a sense that it's not just that sector or those factories when it's rampant and happening in all these other sectors invisibly.

As a follow-up aside, I've been thinking about making my own series on global politics that would be on things like that, but more from a lawyer's & activist's perspective, but not only on ground-level issues like that, also on high-level political issues like Iran nuclear diplomacy or whether the EU is breaking up or galvanizing or what.
    The working title is "World Order Review". What do you think?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I might listen to that, if it's a podcast. Or are you thinking youtube, website? I like the title.

I was thinking Youtube like those PBS channel shorts, so then I can have green screen graphics and little animations mini-Yahtzee style.
    They might also be listenable. I'll look into how parallel podcast releases might work anyway.

Another option I was thinking about was a world news quickie, which I'd call "News from Earth" and spin it like it was a summary of earth news for humans living elsewhere.
    But news shows of course date themselves super quickly, whereas the WOR would be more timeless mini-classes on different aspects of world politics--which is to say, a viewer is more likely to click "next video" in the queue and keep going for stretches at a time, and could do that at any time--so if I did NFE it'd be in parallel at best.

It's an interesting project just trying to figure out the voice & character of a show, down to what font and color scheme and jingles I want to use, the pacing, how technical it should be, how it should be written, what counts as an episode ... way before I even get to how the production pipeline would work. I feel like just nailing the right concept is 3/4 of a good show.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Roughly two-thirds of world rubber is synthetic already. The U.S. relied on synthetics extensively in WWII as the Axis controlled the natural sources.
    In this case it was said that for some applications synthetic rubber isn’t a viable alternative - for example aircraft tyres - the argument was that it’s significant enough to break civilisation.

@demagogue - there was another element of the rubber trade being tied up in futures markets so the price is so low it’s not worth farming rubber trees for some producers - despite the demand for rubber being there. They’re just told to keep farming because the price will allegedly get better.

dema neat idea, I'd totally subscribe.
    I don't do animation but let me know if you need help re: selecting fonts and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    As a follow-up aside, I've been thinking about making my own series on global politics that would be on things like that, but more from a lawyer's & activist's perspective, but not only on ground-level issues like that, also on high-level political issues like Iran nuclear diplomacy or whether the EU is breaking up or galvanizing or what.
    The working title is "World Order Review". What do you think?
    Something like... foreignpolicy.com in form of video essays? I'd watch that.

Hey dema... just popping in to say I think it's a great idea and I'd subscribe/listen/watch.

Still Subjective
    Do it dema!

Have a rap episode!

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by mxleader View Post
    Time Team
    I watch it every chance I get. I'm quite interested in both archaeology and history, but with my sleep disorder, it's also a great show to fall asleep to. And it's quite fun to see Baldrick pretend to know about anglo-saxons.

I like the idea, dema, and would watch it if you make it. "World Order Review" sounds a mite pretentious, though.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast