TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls III: Scholar of the First Spoiler Filled Dark Souls III Thread

El Shagmeister

The (Nameless) King is dead. Long live the (Nameless) King.

Also...Soul of Cinder be dead too. <3

Onwards to Ariandel!
    Last edited by MrDuck; 27th Nov 2016 at 08:43.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    Onwards to Andariel!
    You're switching games already? I misread it the first time too, though.

Moderator and Priest
    Demon lady has sand dollar nipples!

El Shagmeister

Ironically I didn't misread it, but somehow my brain recollected the Andariel name and wrote that instead while thinking I wrote Ariandel.

The final boss of DLC was too much for me. I ended up summoning a small army, which made it significantly easier and also more fun. We all celebrated the victory afterward, and it was a good moment.

LittleFlower
    I did my 2nd play-through of DS3 during the last 3 weeks. Felt a lot easier than the first run. In my first run I killed all bosses (including Nameless King solo and Sister Friede), except Soul of Cinder. I just couldn't kill him solo. He often pauses his attacks a random time, between 10 ms and 2000 ms. He would always get me, I would always dodge too late or too early. As I play offline, I couldn't summon other players. And I couldn't summon an NPC because you can only summon Yuria (and/or the Londor Pale Shade) if you do Yuria's questline. Which I didn't of course.

This time I did do Yuria's quests. So I could summon her. Soul of Cinder died on my 4th try or so.

However, I now have a huge problem with Sister Friede. I got her to 2% or so, in phase 3 once, but I died .... (as happens often when you are close ). Gonna try again this weekend. I think I know what I did wrong. In P1 I usually dodge/roll towards her, and P1 ends quickly. But in P3 I am too scared of her, and dodge/roll away constantly. I think I need to start dodging/rolling towards her in P3 as well.

No idea what my next game will be. Maybe I should give DS2 a go. I tried it a bit (a few hours). But the graphics looked terrible. In DS1 you can upgrade textures and mess with other settings via dsfix. No such thing in DS2. And the Halberd in DS2 is fucked up. I halbered my way through DS1. And I halbered my way through DS3 (first run). I was planning to halber my way through DS2 too, but with the changed move-set it's not fun. I played my 2nd run of DS3 with a fire katana. And later the FUGS. Using an Ultra Greatsword is actually a lot of fun. But it's so much more dangerous. During bossfights I would switch back to the katana. Or else I'd be too vulnerable. Maybe I should try playing though all of DS2 with a huge sword.

Last edited by Gryzemuis; 3rd Dec 2016 at 08:56.

verbose douchebag
    Glad you stuck with the series Gryz - are you still toughing it out with trackball and mouse?

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Glad you stuck with the series Gryz - are you still toughing it out with trackball and mouse?
    Trackball and joystick. The trackball is not much different from a mouse.

I use the trackball to look around, aim and click on things. The x-axis and y-axis of the joystick are used for movement. The buttons on the joystick are used for abilities. E.g. in the Dark Souls games I use the trigger-button as fast attack, pinky-shift-button+trigger-button is heavy attack. Other buttons are for switching weapons, enemy-lock-on, etc. I use the left mouse button (pinky) for blocking and the right mouse button (thumb) for rolling. Works quite well. The problems I had with controls in DS2 at first were mostly during combat. Because I didn't always use the enemy-lock-on button. And if you don't then strafing or backpeddling gets you killed very very quickly. Now that I am used to constantly using the enemy-lock-on button, there is no problem.

I played through DS1 in April and May. I did a NG and an NG+ run. NG+ was a lot easier than expected, so I stopped after NG+. I played DS3 in June or July. I really enjoyed DS1. But I might find DS3 a better game. Because of the graphics, but I kinda feel that it's a more polished, more enjoyable game too. I played Ariandel a month ago. And then decided to play another run of DS3.

It was surprising how much easier my 2nd run in DS3 was.
    This is how I played DS1 and my first run in DS3:
    invest a few points in Endurance (stamina).
    after a few levels I get myself a Halberd.
    invest enough points in Str and Dex so I can use the Halberd and maybe 1 or 2 more weapons.
    invest all my points to get Endurance to 40.
    invest all my points to get Strength and Dexterity to 40.
    around level 100+, when Endurance, Strength and Dex were 40, I invested some points in Vitality, so I could wear heavier equipment.

This is all according to the idea of "glass cannon". That's how I played thousands of hours of WoW. That's how I play most of my RPG games. Invest in dps, don't care about the rest. Never a problem.

In my 2nd DS3 play-through, I did it differently. I picked the fire gem as my starter's gift. As soon as I got passed Iudex Gundyr I went to see the sword master. I gave him 2 good kicks, so he flew off the edge. Got myself a Fire Uchigatana almost immediately. Fire weapons don't scale with Strength or Dex. So I invest my level-points in both Endurance and Vigor (health). Got both to 40 before I invested a single point in Strength or Dex. I never invested anything in Vitality.

Boy did that make a difference. The Fire Uchigatana was relatively very strong during the first half of the game. Only when I was over half, I started to use the Fume's Ultra Greatsword. And respecced into 33 str. But before that, the game was so much easier than my first run. Unbelievable. Of course part of it was because I knew what I was doing (compared to the first run). But the Uchigatana did very good dps. And I got to invest my points in health. Having 1100 health versus 500 health makes a huge difference.

Another difference was that I didn't fight every enemy I came across. Sometimes it's just easier to run past them, and pick up the stuff you want, and unlock doors you need to go through. The bottom level of Irithyll Dungeon goes from very frustrating to just a breeze if you don't try to fight the jailors. What's the point of fighting them ?

This is one of the aspect of the Dark Souls games I don't like very much. If you are good, or if you know exactly what to, where to go, what to skip, the game becomes much easier. I think a game should kinda "scale" with the skill of the player. Bad players or new players should get some breaks, while the better players should get extra challenges. And it would be best if the player wouldn't realize it. In the DS games, it is exactly the opposite. New players are fucked over all the time, while experienced players get all the breaks, or can cut corners. I think the DS games could have been a lot more popular if the gameplay would take this into account.

But even then, DS1 and DS3 are great games.

====

Edit: Sister Friede is down.
    I did 50+ tries with my regular gear. No go. I got to the 1% once (see screenshot above. It's dark, but you can see Friede's healthbar beneath the letters B and l of Blackflame Friede). Slave Knight Gael (the summoned NPC) would die at the end of the 2nd phase, or beginning of the 3d phase. And Friede would go nuts on me with her combos. I tried different gear for magic and fire resist. Didn't matter, I die. I thought it might be my low dps that makes the fight take too long, and cause Gael to die from all the AoE damage he takes. I tried my FUGS. She'd die in phase 1 very quickly. But without a shield, I'd be too vulnerable in P2, and especially P3. But it made me wonder why my dps with the Uchigatana was so much slow.

I then made myself a Refined Washing Pole+10. Slightly longer reach and slightly higher dps. But no bleed effect.
    Friede died in my 2nd attempt.
    Gael lived through the whole fight. I had 6 sips left of my Estus flask. What a difference. She obviously has a great resistance to bleed effects. I bet I'm not the only one who got fucked over by such hidden game mechanics.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 4th Dec 2016 at 14:08.

Another difference was that I didn't fight every enemy I came across. Sometimes it's just easier to run past them, and pick up the stuff you want, and unlock doors you need to go through. The bottom level of Irithyll Dungeon goes from very frustrating to just a breeze if you don't try to fight the jailors. What's the point of fighting them?
    Interesting observation Gryz. This is the time in a souls game where my tactics changed from clearing areas to running past enemies. The enemies in this one are giving more trouble than any of these the other games and there tends to be more of them. I remember by trying to fight my way into Cathedral of the Deep and it just dawning on me that it would be way easier to run past everyone.

Just made it to the Boreal Valley and the knights are making me think that fighting them is pointless too...for the record I play offline.

LittleFlower
    I play offline too.
    And I cheat a bit, because I copy my savefiles. But as it's my game, and my time, I think I get to decide how I want to play the game. If I had to play without the ability to copy and restore savefiles when I want to, the game would be too frustrating. But even then, there are parts of the game where it is much more efficient to just run and grab stuff.

The knights of the Boreal Valley aren't that hard. You just have to make sure you fight them one-on-one, and not in groups. Luring (pulling) them over and away from their buddies with a bow usually works. At least there's enough room to fight and dodge and roll. In some respects DS games are just like single-player MMOs. The problem with some of the frustrating areas is that there's not enough room to fight. The mobs will corner you in, preventing you from moving. (Like Irithyll Dungeon, but also some other areas). And then you're done for.

I've stopped playing for now. I might do another play-through when the last DLC is released. And I might play DS2. Not sure about that, because I found DS2 an ugly game. You can pimp DS1 with dsfix, better textures, etc. I also liked the lighting in DS1 better. But it seems there's very little you can do to make DS2 look better. I've played an hour or 2-3 of DS2, and it didn't suck me in. Maybe if I try another time. I've read that DS2 has the most bosses and the largest DLCs. So maybe it'll become better later in the game.

I figured out why I thought the game was so hard - I didn't know what bone shards did. I assumed it was a bonfire ascetic equivalent so I never used them. It was taking 5 Estus flasks to get back to full health. When my friend pointed it out to me while I was struggling with the pontiff, he went from a near impossible boss to a reasonable one. Now the game is much more manageable. I thought Aldritch was a pushover. In the dungeon now.

Gryz - why copy saves? To try different builds?

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by TannisRoot View Post
    Gryz - why copy saves? To try different builds?
    No. Because I don't think most bosses are pushovers.

I enjoy the game. I love the setting and the atmosphere. The things I don't love are some of the game mechanics. In particularly I don't like that you have to redo large parts of an area when you die. Adn the fact that the more you die, the harder it gets. I don't mind redoing something once. But I hate doing the same part three of five or ten times. Especially the shitty parts, like e.g. those Ghru Leapers in Smouldering Lake. So when I get to one of the harder parts, I log out to the intro-screen, alt-tab, click on the Junction-link from my desktop to the savefiles folder, and copy my savefile. Then I alt tab back, and continue playing. Takes about 20-30 seconds to do that. So there is a natural hurdle to not do it at every corner. If I die, I have to option to retry again, without have to clear up to that point again. I don't always do that. Sometimes I only make a copy of my savefile after I die. That way I can try multiple times to get my souls back, without the risk of truly losing those souls.

I know some people would hate to do this. But for me it makes the game more fun. I think if the DS games were a little more forgiving in this respect, they would be accessible to more players. I'm not a very good player. But not a bad one either. Some parts of the game are very hard, especially if you do something "stupid". (Read: non optimal, like using the wrong weapon, the wrong damage type, not using your boneshards, missing a key element in the strategy, fighting the first boss in DS1 when you first encounter him, etc). I like that I have options to make the game a little easier (= less frustrating) some times. I play offline, so I don't have the option to summon other players. (I dislike PvP and I hate invasions). And sometimes you can't summon NPCs because you didn't follow the proper questline in exactly the right way. Example, I found the Twin Princess very hard. Until I did some extra work so I could summon Orbeck. (You have to read a wiki-page to figure out that a) that's possible, and b) how to do it exactly). With Orback, I could defeat them after a few tries. Aldritch was a pain for me, because I couldn't summon Anri. I had to get the proper gear (rings, weapons) to kill him. And lots of tries. I did kill The Nameless King in my first play-through, but it took me 2 nights. Is that fun ? Maybe, I don't know. I didn't feel the "euphoria" that other players say they feel after defeating a hard boss. It's just frustrating. I don't play for the challenge. Fuck challenge. If you want a challenge, go get a Ph.D, cure cancer, create peace in the middle east. Or make the Internet better/faster.

Maybe Aldritch was a pushover for you. I had to do 20-30 attempts to get him down in my first play-through. If I would do that without copying back my savefile every 5 tries or so, I wouldn't have enough embers. And that is another game-mechanic I dislike. If you are bad, you will run out of embers, and you will have less health, and the game will get harder. Exactly the opposite way around of what the game should do with new/bad players. (I think DS2 is even worse in this respect). In my 2nd play-through it still took me ~10 attempts to kill Aldritch. There were several bosses I took down in my first attempt during my 2nd play-through. But only if I could summon an NPC. E.g. Champion Gundyr went down first try. But only because of the Swordmaster. I don't think I could ever solo him. Heck, when I started playing DS3, I was obliterated by Iudex Gundyr maybe 30 times, maybe more. That was because my first character was a dual-wielding Mercenary. As soon as I started a new character, a Knight with a 100%-block shield, he went down within half an hour. Soul of Cinder was another example of a boss I couldn't solo. Curse-rotted Greatwood was very hard, until I got myself the Uchigatana. With my Halberd it was impossible to hit him in all the right spots. Pontiff is another boss I don't think I could do with the help of NPCs.

On the other hand, I thought (in both play-throughs) that the Abyss Watchers were really easy. The Dancer was a hard fight, but I loved that one. Totally fair, just takes good execution.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 12th Dec 2016 at 08:18.

Quote Originally Posted by TannisRoot View Post
    I didn't know what bone shards did. I assumed it was a bonfire ascetic equivalent
    Do you even item description bro?

Also you mentioned running past enemies in an earlier post. I don't see the point of that to be honest. This game is about the combat, and by running past you're just skipping most of that. Even on subsequent playthroughs I make a point of killing most of the mobs. I admit though, first time in Irithyll, I did run past the enemies - after I almost managed to clear the way, but got killed by the very last enemy before the next bonfire. I was like, yeah, screw that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    stuff
    You could've just gone online right before the boss fog and grab human phantoms, instead of messing with NPC questlines. That's how I did it mostly, though I don't play offline, only unembered, so I just ember up before bosses.

As for DS2, it's the same system as DS3, as you die, your health is reduced which you can restore with an item.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    As for DS2, it's the same system as DS3, as you die, your health is reduced which you can restore with an item.
    Suppose a player with maximum max health has 1000 health. The good players will face most bosses and trash with a 1000 health.

In DS2 your health goes down by 50%, if you die enough times. So bad players will face most content with just 500 health left. Especially when they run out of Human Effigies.

In DS3, your health goes up by 30% when you use an ember. So when you die, your health goes from 1000 (130%) to 769 (100%).

So compared to easy mode (for the good players), hardmode in DS2 is a lot harder (only 500 health) compared to DS3 (where the bad player will have 769 health). Big difference, imho.

There's a ring in DS2 (available quite early) that changes the minimum health from 50% to 75%.

You bought the game, you should play the way you want.

The Souls games are the only games that have really interested me in the last few years. I tried others like Witcher 3 and quickly got bored. I see the Souls games as games of mastery (leveling up irl). Re-doing areas doesn't bother me because I'm still learning them and the enemies they contain. Eventually getting through them is a matter of minutes without too much trouble. Same with the bosses.

The first time I played Bloodborne, Father G was so tough I almost sold the game. Now I can beat him without taking a hit. That's the feeling of accomplishment I get out of these games. It's cool to look back and think "I wouldn't have been able to do that a month ago."

I don't really use buffs / embers / magic / titanite shards or whatever until I'm sure I'll need them. More often than not I end up beating the boss / area before their use is really required. Summoning NPCs is a gamble because they buff the boss and oftentimes die too quickly.

Everyone has their tough bosses. Where one person will find one boss to be impossible another will find it the easiest in the game and vice versa. For some reason I found Aldritch not very hard. I two-handed an irithyll strait sword +3, baited his physical attacks so he wouldn't cast spells, and spent a lot of time abusing dodge i-frames. He's most dangerous spamming soul spear while you are dodging his arrow rain, so if you stay close he's more manageable.

I found the Pontiff much harder than Aldritch - even harder than the Orphan of Kos in BB, but a lot of people would disagree. It's all subjective.

I think the trick with the leapers is to bait their jump and stunlock them when they land.

Just defeated my first boss in the Ashes of Ariandel DLC after taking a break from souls games:

I actually completely missed the closest bonfire on my first few attempts against this boss. I only noticed the bonfire by accident when I managed to fall to my death right next to it.

I'm at the Friede and Ariandel boss fight now.

While I can do the first phase with little to no estus use now, I seem to be doing worse and worse on the second phase for every attempt I make.

I've actually only beaten the second phase once so far and that was with zero estus left for the third (and I'm hoping last) phase

No. Because I don't think most bosses are pushovers.
    In my experience even bosses that are a real pain in the ass to defeat on the first playthrough are usually real pushovers on subsequent runs.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by salass00 View Post
    In my experience even bosses that are a real pain in the ass to defeat on the first playthrough are usually real pushovers on subsequent runs.
    Sometimes.
    Doing Friede on my 2nd play-through was suprisingly not easier than my first play-through.

Are you doing the fight with the help of the NPC (Slave Knight Gael) ? You don't need to be embered to summon him. He'll join when the 2nd phase begins. I did my 2 kills with the help of Gael. I don't think I would ever be able to kill Friede solo. In my 2nd playthough I finally got my kill when Gael lived all the way through to the end of the fight. Without Gael, Friede would keep doing her combos in phase3, without much pausing. I could often not find the time to take a sip of my flask. When you have an NPC helping you, it makes a huge difference. When things start to go wrong, just stop attacking, back off, and often the boss will focus on the NPC within 5-10 seconds. You can then heal, buf maybe, and continue. Without an NPC you will not get a few seconds to do that.

I think the key is that you need to do phase 2 as quickly as possible. If you play carefully, it will take too much time. All the while Gael will take AoE damage from Ariandel and Friede. This is more important here than in other fights, as Friede (ice) and Ariandel (fire) do a lot more AoE than other bosses. If phase 2 takes too long, Gael will die, or have very little health left for phase 3.

Some other things I did: I made myself a washing pole+10. In stead of the Uchiganata+10 I used up to then. Only then Friede died. I thought it was the fact that she is resilient against bleeding. But the washing pole also does part of its damage as bleed, so I was probably wrong. Maybe the washing pole hits harder, or it was the fact that is has a longer reach. I also started to roll into her attacks, in stead of rolling away. When I was rolling backwards, she kept doing her combos (in P3). When I started rolling into her, I could get more damage in, while avoiding her most dangerous attacks.

Are you doing the fight with the help of the NPC (Slave Knight Gael) ?
    No, because I prefer to do bosses solo the first time at least.

I did a few more attempts on the boss today and I'm beginning to be able to do phase 2 quite reliably. I even got through it once with 10 estus left (unfortunately I got killed by a single attack combo with 7 estus remaining after just getting her down to under 50% health in phase 3).

This is in NG++ which I guess makes it slightly harder than if I was doing it in NG.

El Shagmeister

I HAVE CONQUERED THE PAINTED WORLD OF ARIANDEL!

Sister Friede and Father Ariandel are dead.

Sister Friede was one bad ass mofo, especially on her third phase, but in the end, she went down*, and I did it solo. No Gale summon for me, wooooo!

Now, I can let Dark Souls 3 rest until the next DLC comes out.

Onwards to Doom!

*Though it certainly took several tries...dunno if as many, or more, than with Champion Gundyr or Nameless King.

DLC2 teaser just dropped

I thought I'd ask here if anyone's encountered a weird state of, well, limbo: I can see ghosts, messages and bloodstains, but cannot get summoned, do not see any summon signs, can't invade or get invaded. This is now at least the second time this has happened to me. Last time I was invading in Grand Archive and everyone were disconnecting on me. Everywhere I read, people talk about needing to use Way of White Circlet, but its use is grayed out for me.

The game world feels so empty without other people.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 ... LastLast