TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls III: Scholar of the First Spoiler Filled Dark Souls III Thread

Looks like the Dark Souls III - The Fire Fades Edition is out tommorow, if anyone's interested. All DLCs are included, but I can't find info on whether they changed anything in substantial manner, like in SotFS for DS II.

No such changes. SotFS was a very special occasion (original game had problems during development AND a new console generation came out - a port to new system was gonna happen anyway, so they had an excuse to look over the game and change things). Nothing of the sort in the case of DS3. It's just an all-in-one edition.

Moderator and Priest
    They're releasing the GOTY edition a week before the last expansion is coming out?

That would seem a tad unfair. Perhaps it doesn't unlock until then...

Sorry, my bad, it's April 21st, not March 21st. The Ringed City should be available on March 28th.

Moderator and Priest
    Okay, that makes a little more sense.

And hey, next Tuesday, we all be going to The Ringed City! \[T]/

Southquarter.com/fms
    I was following this for a while, I think the April 21st date is only for Europe. Nothing official for the U.S. yet (for the DS3 GOTY/Fire Fades thing).

CDkeys page lists the international Steam version for April 21st. In theory, everyone should be able to play in on PC then.

At LAST I bought the game+DLCs on PSN sale. Tough one on satisfying discounts, though still a bit too much for me (~35$). Bloodborne was discounted more and earlier.
    Last edited by 242; 6th Jul 2017 at 07:05.

Moderator and Priest
    It's about damn time!

You're in for a treat.

El Shagmeister
    FEEL DA (sweet, sweet) PAIN!

<3

Stop it. Now I've got that annoying "hurts so good" song going through my head.

El Shagmeister
    <3

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Stop it. Now I've got that annoying "hurts so good" song going through my head.
    Sometimes love doesn't feel like it should, Twisty.

Ok, about pain, it definitely feels less painful than Bloodborne so far (I'm at the Wall of Lothric's gate). And thanks to BB I almost don't use shield now. Overall, pretty damn good experience. Graphics are on par with BB and much better than in DS2, often very beautiful. Like new weapon art thing too, combat has become even deeper.

LittleFlower
    I'm almost done with NG++ (just Midir and Gael left).
    I can honestly say I have never used any weapon art.

I tried it a few times. In the first half of my first NG cycle, I used the Halberd. I halberd my way through DS1. And I was planning to halber my way through DS3. I think halfway I changed to the Washing Pole (and a few other weapons), as poking with the Halberd makes it hard to hit tall bosses sometimes. (I use only R1 attacks. Only R1 ! And I'm proud of it). Nowadays, after I played DS2, I mainly use the longsword.

So weapon art. The weapon art of the Halberd is that you lunge forward like a madman, doing quick repeated pokes. It doesn't seem to do much more damage than regular attacks. Its use is limited, because we have limited mana (or whatever you call the blue resource we have. blue == mana, imho). But worst of all, while you do the weapon art, you lose control over your character for a short while (2-3 seconds maybe ?) I hate that. Especially in a game like Dark Souls. Losing control of your character gets you killed. Or more precise: gets me killed.

I used to play a rogue in WoW. We had a skill called Killing Spree. During 3 seconds you'd jump around between enemies, hitting them multiple times, extra hard, and if they were close, your strikes would hit multiple enemies at the same time. Very bursty. Very good to increase your dps. Very good if an add had to be burst down quickly. But god, how I hated Killing Spree. Because during those 2-3 seconds, you'd have no control over your character. You could not control your movement, you might jump all over the place. You could not interrupt or cancel the skill. Result: you'd start a killing spree just when the boss was gonna do its "get away now, or I'll one-shot you"-AoE attack. Or you'd jump around between boss and adds, and end up far away from the boss, losing valuable time. Or you'd jump around, lose your orientation, and when the Killing Spree was over, you'd fall off an edge.

Weapon art in DS3 mostly reminded me of Killing Spree. No way I'm gonna introduce extra risk for the benefit of just a little extra dps. No way.

Are there are actually weapon skills that are really useful in a boss fight ? If so, for which weapons ?

I also never used dual weapons in DS2. Never tried. I figured it's not worth the risk. And besides, I use a shield. Always. I basically tanked the Nameless King in NG++, never rolling, eating every hit with my (edit: ) Dragonslayer Greatshield. If you have the right gear, and know how to play with a shield, it's no problem at all. Very predictable, very safe. OK, I rolled a few times maybe . Mostly in phase-1. But blocking is so more reliable. DS1 taught me to use my shield. Especially after I got high poise and Artorias's shield. I just tanked Manus and killed him 3rd try. I love shields.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 12th Jul 2017 at 17:53.

I'm at the end of the undead settlement NG (great location BTW), but you're making conclusions about weapon art having only tried several weapons? WA quite differs in usability between various weapons actually, from what I've already experienced. I, personally, get bored quite quickly using only few weapons, so I tend to try quite a lot. Some WA are very useful, like those that break through shields or do quick lunges forward. But yeah, nothing that you can't live without so far.

Also, I found shield here less useful than in 1/2 due to the increased attack speed of enemies, they deplete shield stability/stamina too fast, so I tend to not use one at all.
    Last edited by 242; 11th Jul 2017 at 11:59.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    I also never used dual weapons in DS2. Never tried. I figured it's not worth the risk. And besides, I use a shield. Always. I basically tanked the Nameless King in NG++, never rolling, eating every hit with my Havel's shield.
    It's funny how my playstyle evolved in the total opposite direction of yours. When I first played the original DS back in the day, I stuck exclusively with shields, since I was far too spastic at it. Fast forward to now, and I play DS games rolling 99% of the time, only keeping a shield up to block the occasional range attacks while out exploring the world, and never use them at all for boss fights. Even with the occasional guff up with invincibility frames, leaning more on rolling rather than shields is preferable, since it gives you so many more options for character builds.

Though like you, I never once relied on weapon arts. They felt too goofy and hard to time for me. It felt safer just to beat the shit out of enemies the old fashioned way.

I've never really given Fancy Pants a proper shot to be honest; and by extension, the ash flasks were barely used either.

I've experimented with a few styles over the years though however rolling and swordplay are definitely my favourites.

I'm in the middle of Road of Sacrifices currently, and the game seems much more linear than DS1/2 so far. No crossroads, there are some optional areas in locations for sure, but what I mean is that locations themselves linked consequently like 1-2-3-... nothing like DS1/2. Will it be like that till the end or intersections in this game are further from the start than before?

PS: Also, it seems it's almost impossible to break a weapon here, bonfires are not that far from each other and weapons wear slowly, so another question: has anybody actually had to use the repair powder?
    Last edited by 242; 12th Jul 2017 at 07:40.

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    has anybody actually had to use the repair powder?
    If you put down your summon sign, get summoned, fight and return, your weapon does not get repaired (like in DS2). So if you stay co-oping (or invading) at the same spot long enough your weapon will degrade.

Armor, however is nearly impossible to break. You either need a multiplayer invader friend who throws twenty plus Acid Surges at you, or you have to get hit by small crabs for six hours while wearing HP regen gear. I'm not even joking.
    Last edited by Malleus; 12th Jul 2017 at 11:16.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    I'm in the middle of Road of Sacrifices currently, and the game seems much more linear than DS1/2 so far. No crossroads, there are some optional areas in locations for sure, but what I mean is that locations themselves linked consequently like 1-2-3-... nothing like DS1/2. Will it be like that till the end or intersections in this game are further from the start than before?
    Yeah, it's a bit more straightforward than the previous games. It's not quite A to B to C, but a good chunk of the game does have you walking down one main path, with a couple of small detours off of it here and there.

The rotten forest location is challenging and quite large, I like the atmosphere and all, but still it can't hold a candle to the forest from Bloodborne. That was huge, I actually could get lost in there. Was hoping the locs would be larger here.

The Forbidden Woods was absolutely crazy -- I loved it -- one of the highlights of the locations.

While DS3 is more linear than the previous games to some extent, the locations themselves are highly detailed and filled with tonnes of secrets. I'm someone that usually tries to explore as much as I can before moving on to the next section yet I've still found new things after my second and third return to a given area.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast