TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls III: Scholar of the First Spoiler Filled Dark Souls III Thread

Unexpectedly stuck (a bit) on the Farron's Legion, unexpectedly coz all previous bosses were too easy. Tried about 5-6 times so far. The first form is easy, but not the second one. I think I'm not quite ready yet for this fight, will try Cathedral of the deep first.

Are you referring to the Abyss Watchers? If so, keep close and roll into his left side just before he swings.

Yep, the first phase being quite long doesn't help for practicing on the flaming form. He's too agile. Anyway, I'll probably left the boss alione for the time being, will see if the Cathedral boss is easier.

LittleFlower
    I started a SL1 run on Sunday. I'm 16 hours in. Abyss Watchers and Yhorm are dead. I have to kill Pontiff now to progress.

So far SL1 has been a lot easier than I expected. In my first DS3 run (and my first DS1), I focused on maximizing my damage first. And I didn't invest anything in health. I didn't realize it, but that made life much harder. The easiest strategy is to invest in stamina and health first. And then maybe carrying-weight. And strength/dex much later.

Playing at SL1 is very much like my stupid leveling-strategy in my first runs. My damage is as good as usual. (Using a raw longsword+7 atm). I got 13 sips of Estus, and each sip heals me 100%. I'm just a bit more limited in choice of armor. The only painful thing is that there are no 100% block shields I can use. When I get into the grand archives, I can get the +5 strength ring (Knight's). And then I can use a few 100% block shield. Not the BK shield, let alone Dragonarmor Greatshield or Havel's. So I'll have to adjust strategy to 100% depend on rolling. (All bosses up to now didn't hit hard enough through my shield, so I used a combination of keeping my shield up while rolling).

I'm at Pontiff now. He needs to die to make progress. I'm gonna have to learn to parry. Because I think parrying him, and making the fight very short, is the only way to beat him for me. Otherwise I'll make too many mistakes and will die before I would kill him slowly.

The other option is to kill the Dancer before Pontiff and Aldritch. Tbh, that scares me too. I love the Dancer fight. Best boss fight ever, imho. Of any game. But fighting him at SL1 is gonna be a different story.

Anyway, doing a SL1 run is actually way more fun that I thought.
    I hope it doesn't end at Pontiff and Dancer.

I haven't yet beat others mentioned, but I think your only option with Pontiff is riposte. The first phase was extremely easy with riposte, the second one however not so. I beat him after about 10 attempts with SL ~50.

LittleFlower
    When I said I need to learn to parry, of course I meant "parry and riposte". I've killed the Pontiff with NPCs a few times. And on my main character I've soloed him in NG+ and NG++. But that was on a high level character. I was wearing resistance gear and +2 resistance rings, and Havel's shield in those 2 fights. I could afford to make mistakes. The big difference with a SL1 run is that you can't afford to make (many) mistakes. When I get hit once, even with Lloyd's Shield Ring (-25% incoming dmg when at 100% health), I lose most of my health. I need to heal up before I get hit a 2nd time, or else I'd be dead for sure. And my style is: "be well prepared and make a lot of mistakes". In a SL1 run that doesn't work.

I've done a few tries on Dancer. Got him to 40% once. I think Dancer is gonna be a lot easier than Pontiff. So next time I'll play DS3, I'll try kill the Dancer. And then Oceiros. That'll give me access to farming Titanite Chunks. I already have 2 slabs. So if I beat Dancer and Oceiros, I can get myself a +10 weapon. (Or 2 even). Also beating Dancer will give me access to the +5 Strength ring, so I can use a decent shield. My strategy is clear now. The only little bump in the road is that I have to beat the Dancer now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    When I said I need to learn to parry, of course I meant "parry and riposte". I've killed the Pontiff with NPCs a few times. And on my main character I've soloed him in NG+ and NG++. But that was on a high level character. I was wearing resistance gear and +2 resistance rings, and Havel's shield in those 2 fights. I could afford to make mistakes. The big difference with a SL1 run is that you can't afford to make (many) mistakes. When I get hit once, even with Lloyd's Shield Ring (-25% incoming dmg when at 100% health), I lose most of my health. I need to heal up before I get hit a 2nd time, or else I'd be dead for sure. And my style is: "be well prepared and make a lot of mistakes". In a SL1 run that doesn't work.
    Well, I personally soloed him with ripostes without any preliminary tips or youtube, used my target shield only for parry, never tried to block him. On NG every my riposte with dual curved sword and dexterity of 22 was reducing his heals by about 25% ! (1000+ damage), so I needed only 4 ripostes, 2 in the first phase and 2 in the second, plus few additional hits. Second phase was very random and unreliable in terms of success though, and it was on SL 50+. But this is amazing:

Last edited by 242; 22nd Jul 2017 at 12:47.

Finished it at last. SL 123, and oh man, 2 months and about 190 hours

Not that I was grinding, just exploring quite meticulously and collecting items/weapons/armour, mainly for lore. Some bosses, maibly DLC ones, took quite some time too. I spent like 10 hours on Midir alone, but now that I've learnt how to beat him, I can beat him reliably in few attempts at most. The Nameless King was also a big hassle until I figured out he was as easy as the Rotten tree (not exaggeration) if fought at distance with a bow. Surprisingly, Gael fell under about 10 attempts, coz I quickly figured out he could be easily intoxicated and cheesed by dancing around ruins. The only one of the hardest bosses I haven't found reliable strategy was f*ing Friede, whom I beat mainly with persistence and luck.

Overall, I liked DS3 very much. The impressions were worse in the beginning and until about 1/3 of the game. Previously, my favoutite in the series was DS2, but now I don't know. DS2 was much less linear in terms of locarion connectivity, but locations themselves seem more interesting here. I don't like Bloodborne-like tempo though, I'm used to slower gameplay, especially when it comes to bosses.

Alright, so I bought the Complete Edition and started to play with sorcerer, as usual. And, as usual, I'm getting my ass kicked by the first boss. Next few months gonna be awesome

Moderator and Priest
    I dunno if I'd considered this a spoiler exactly, but to be on the safe side...

The best way to take care of anything that erupts with the Pus of Man is to get as much space between you and them as possible, then lob fire at them from a distance. They're so indistinctly shaped, and move so quickly, it's hard to predict their attacks. On top of that, they do prodigious amounts of damage, making them incredibly difficult to take them on pure melee.

That's right. I don't have problems with dodging spear attacks or his plunges, but when he transforms into a beast, he's more random in his movement, or at least the way he telegraphs his attacks leaves little time for me to react.

Moderator and Priest
    And he's not as hard as the ones you fight later, who have a tendency to pop up suddenly, and go absolute ape shit on you.

Fortunately, you don't come across too many during the course of the game. But when you do...

Moderator and Priest
    One big thing to keep in mind is that, due to the faster gameplay, and the much improved AI, DS3 probably has one of the most brutal coming-to-terms-with intros of the entire series. But don't fret too much, once you get a few levels and a couple hours of experience under your belt, the difficulty curve does level out.

LittleFlower
    When I got myself DS3 (a little over a year ago) I had just finished DS1 a few months earlier. So I thought I'd be doing ok. I started as a Mercenary. I wanted to dual-wield swords and wear leather. Well, after 30 tries or so, I still hadn't killed Iudex Gundyr. Or maybe 40. Or 50. I can't remember. But I was very frustrated. The start wasn't fun. So I re-rolled a knight, with a 100% block shield. And killed him on my 3rd try. I think Iudex can be very hard, or a little easier, depending on play-style, class and luck. So don't get discouraged. The next bosses are easier, imho. So is the trash in the first area(s). If you manage to kill Iudex Gundyr, then you'll have some time to enjoy the game, until the next hurdle.

Moderator and Priest
    For me, everything up to the end of the High Wall of Lothric was a pure trial by fire. Those freaking Lothric Knights, combined with all the ambushes From apparently loved peppering out all over the place, and it was just...oh, damn.

They really put the thumbscrews to the newbies in this one. I think they were overcompensating due to all the complaints people had concerning DS2's gentler learning curve.

Huh, I actually defeated Iudex in his second stage not by staying far away from him, but by rolling behind him. It's kinda scary with him looking so big and ugly, but that move actually confuses him a bit.

I'm getting used to the controls, as the seem more... twitchy/snappy than in DS2. And the game is faster. Sorcerers generally get their asses handed to them in the early stages, but I'm doing okay. For now. I already had my "nope, nope, nope" moment, as probably everyone visiting the Lothric wall have. First it's axe/halberd warriors, then it's those bloody dogs, and then a huge-ass dragon. I didn't like only two things so far: a) arrows pass through the enemies and hit you instead, at least I experienced that with the halberd man + crossbow guy duo, the ones below the dragon; b) in the same spot, the halberd went through a thick stone wall and hit me. It's kinda weird they haven't patched that yet.

Moderator and Priest
    I've never played a pure sorcerer, but from what I remember reading, they have a harder time of things in the later game than other builds. I think you have to concentrate on int/faith almost exclusively (with a bit of dex thrown in to increase cast speed) to be able to match damage with melee classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    the much improved AI
    Nah. It's the same stuff as before. I don't even remember seeing NPC behavior on the level of DS2 DLC invaders in DS3. DS2 DLCs are also the only part of the series that have unique boss behavior - they switch targets by themselves randomly if you fight them with phantoms, while in every other game they just attack whoever attacked them last.

As for sorcerers, they have easier time in the late game, or rather, endgame, once you have lots of mana, high INT and powerful spells. You also need specific items and rings to get the most out of spells. Being pure caster sounds like pain though. I was an INT build on ym first playthrough as well, but I fought melee a lot too, and used spells for tough mobs and bosses. On the whole, magic is the weakest in DS3, compared to the other games.

I always ended up as a spellsword character, although I'd like to be able to pull off a mostly sorcerer/no shield build. I still have problems with timing my dodge (perfect timing isn't everything, safe frames are more important), although I guess it will get better with more points into dex.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    Nah. It's the same stuff as before. I don't even remember seeing NPC behavior on the level of DS2 DLC invaders in DS3. DS2 DLCs are also the only part of the series that have unique boss behavior - they switch targets by themselves randomly if you fight them with phantoms, while in every other game they just attack whoever attacked them last.
    DS2 had more realistic AI, but 3 had AI that was practically built to counter all the usual tactics used by most players. The Lothric Knights on the High Wall all but beat my ass when I first came across them. They give you few openings to counterattack, always guard their backs, and crowd you so you'll any space to complete a swig off your estus flask.

As for rolling, DS3 is probably the most forgiving of the bunch, considering you roll faster, and the iFrames kick in almost immediately. You're not required to time things quite so tightly to manage a successful dodge.

Though this one boon is offset by the fact that bosses are much more relentlessly aggressive now.

Iframes start on the first frame of a roll in every DS game. The difference is the number of iframes, the lenght of the roll animation, the distance travelled and the stamina cost. DS3 is really the most forgiving in all of these aspects, especially on stamina cost. You can spam rolls like crazy.

Btw here's a comparison of roll iframes in all three games, if interested: https://i.redd.it/5ka4b6b04uuy.png Green is iframes, red is the rest of the animation.

Moderator and Priest
    Okay, all this talk of DS3 made me want to replay it. So I did.

...AND KICKED GUNDYR'S ASS! I WHUPPED HIM UP BIGGER THAN TEN OF 'EM!

Yeah, this is the 2nd time my recorder hasn't picked up any sound. I think I'm gonna start rebooting my computer every time I intend on recording something.

I noticed the stamina cost is relatively low, but it gets more tricky in my case, because casting spells drains stamina too. In case of e.g. heavy soul arrow, it's almost half the bar, so it's more high-risk-reward game. That said, I did much more damage with it (like 150), I just had to time it well.

Just to make sure: there's no need to stack spells in attunement slots anymore, since they use FP now, right?

Correct. You can't even attune multiple copies of the same spell.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast