TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sly's "Run Thief...Run" Spring challenge.

Sly's "Run Thief...Run" Spring challenge.

Many moons ago we had a Run Thief...Run summer challenge with Gumdrop's most excellent piece of work. What say we try again? Are you a speedy Thief or do you let all that gold weigh you down?

Old thread....http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...ight=challenge

My best ever time was a 2:02. Others were even faster.

Here's a vid so you can learn the course quicker. I'm speedy but could go faster...this is one take, no saves. Saves are allowed but they could slow you down. Post your own speedy vids, a screen of your stats page or just post your times and comments. The honor system is in effect. Now get RUNNING taffer!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Oh wow, that brings back memories! Gumdrop was one of a kind.

Decided to give this a go. My time was 2:09. I got hurt pretty bad in the end and finished with 1 HP

I guess i could have saved a few seconds if i used new mantle at the rope section but no idea how you did 2:02 Sly :O

There's a short cut in the last room not shown in my vid.

That was a super smooth run.

Thanks Did another run since i think i found the short cut (jumping from the statue at the end right? ) and got 2:04.

Edit: Well, tried again, 2:03. I think this is as far as i can get for a while :P
    Last edited by InfinituS; 28th Apr 2016 at 12:01.

Yep, that's the one. I think Russ was the first to think of that move as it doesn't look too obvious as you're sprinting by trying not to get blown up or sawed in half!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I don't think I thought of that shortcut originally... but it's been 10 years so there's no telling what I've forgotten.

Well, the architecture of this mission strongly reminds me of the classic prince of persia games, only in amazing 3d.

I have to admit that I'm speed challenged! If I can do this without disgracing myself, I will.

Those pointy fences can be climbed using new mantle, so I did a few runs and managed to get a pretty good time. The line I took through the map was not that clean especially around switches. Surely 1:58 or lower is possible. I'm sure you guys can beat this:

Finishing with 1 health shield is just as impressive as the 2:01 time.

Here's a 1:58, that's probably going to be it for me for a few days. That archer kept launching me into the chasm, I probably lost a good 1-2 seconds on that unintentional mantle/almost dying. Also, are there any other time saves to be had? How did someone in the old thread get a 1:59 without being able to climb the fence?

EDIT: Actually it seems the pointy fence climb only saves about 2 seconds, I thought it would be more than that.

Last edited by yxlplig; 29th Apr 2016 at 00:54.

Had not though about new mantle and what that might bring to the table...so I'll have to give that a try. I'm also going to experiment with mapping jump to the attack key on the mouse as to facilitate jumping while strafe running. It will be tough though as I've used wsxzc and space for movement since I first played Thief and such habits are hard to break.

I think I'll also give a go at completing the course the "correct" way just to see how fast that can be done.

Tried bunny hopping, couldn't break 2 mins.

There's no need to constantly hop in Thief 2, it will probably slow you down if your movement is not completely flawless. Although you can still get a Thief 1 style speed boost if you do it while descending a slope.

However you can frob from a greater distance when you are going straight. So whenever you seen me hop in my 1:58 video , I'm doing it because I want to approach a switch straight on, but I want to preserve the speed/momentum of strafe running. So ideally, the only time I'm going straight forward is in mid air.

It's very possible that I am wrong, and jumps don't preserve momentum, but it feels faster. Whenever I'm playing normally and I need to save while being chased, I always run, jump, and quicksave. So when I reload I hit the ground at full speed.

Also you need to make sure your line is as direct as possible, minimize the number of times you change the direction of your strafe, and try not to wobble at all.
    Last edited by yxlplig; 29th Apr 2016 at 10:09.

There is a mission i was able to beat in a fancy way by bypassing the gates and jumping on a wall which was, due to lack of stackable items, only possible by circle jumping + bunny hopping. I based my tries here on that. But in that mission i was bunnyhopping on a downward slope. I haven't tested it on a level floor. It is very dificult though, not at all like in quake.

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    I always meant to take another stab at this and really establish a definitive time for myself. Maybe now is the time.

It's been a few years, but a few tricks I still remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by yxlplig View Post
    How did someone in the old thread get a 1:59 without being able to climb the fence?
    Look at 1:30 in InfinituS's video. We would climb the first rope and jump onto the top of the fence. No mantling.

You can also jump across to the ledge with the bowman at the start without any mantling, but they will often shoot you off, so it can come down to a lot of attempts until you get the angle right. I never found a way to precisely time it in order to replicate it over and over, but there must be some trick there, you'd think.

Also, at the very end, it's possible to have the robot shoot you from behind and blow you across to the final platform with greater speed than Garrett himself is capable of. That's what swordbreaker managed to do in that other thread.

I also might have another trick, but I have to keep it to myself, in order to beat some of these new times.

My best time so far has been a 2:08. I did a 2:02 years ago and I'm not sure how I did that. Right now strafe running and jumping...well I don't do that so smoothly so I'm losing a lot of time in the room past the archers.

Slow at work today, so I thought I would give this a go... after two hours I'm pretty well stuck at 2:05. Thats with a smooth run and all the tricks I see in everyone's vids. Don't know how on earth to shave 5 secs to break 2 minutes! Don't have any sort of screen capture here, so just took a pic on my phone.

Hey guys, a little bit of necromancy here because this run was brought up in my Youtube comments. I got a 1:26 by abusing old mantle's gentleclips. I really should have read through this thread first, because I didn't think to shave off time at the end by jumping from the statue. Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idUT3-vSNzc

Holy crap!

I wish Gummy was still around to see this thread.

Just to make sure, this gentleclip only works on old mantle, right?

it's doable with new_mantle but you have to be in pretty specific spots (example being a 8-unit tall doorframe while crouch, or 10 unit tall ceiling uncrouched)

So the spots to do it are a lot more sparse.

There looks like there is a bonus area which is behind the Mech Blast door found in the last area before you climb down the ladder to finish the mission, but you need to get to the blast doors within about 2.20 minutes (according to Dromed) as they are on a timer.

Has anyone managed to get into that bonus area?

I did it long ago. Don't remember what was in there. Get running and find out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast