TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Should Britain leave the European Union?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!...Must Brexit!

20 33.33%
  • NO!...We Must Remain!

32 53.33%
  • I have no idea what I want, yet I will vote anyway!

8 13.33%
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520253035 ... LastLast

Thread: BREXIT --->

My ex sister-in-law doesn't live in Finland so definitely yes. (Actually I do rather like her but she talks non-stop.)

Quote Originally Posted by MoroseTroll View Post
    He could be a person with unstable mind condition
    There have been a few murmurings about his mental state but I believe it was more anecdotal than anything else. Bloke in the street type of comment.

And in other news, I see that US Democrats have ended their sit-in. I thought that was kind of inspiring as I believe it's not the sort of thing that happens over there. Or here for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    A quick check shows that he is from France, which explains a lot
    Ooh racism. Thanks for showing your true colors.

It shouldn't come as any surprise that he's also wrong about most people not being able to afford to travel to other countries, given that a majority of British people holiday abroad every year, predominantly in other European nations.

Quite what he means by "parasitic lifestyle" is unclear, though given that he seems to consider Russian annexation of other countries' territory to be a lesser crime than McDonald's opening restaurants in France, expecting sound logic and arguments would be the ultimate triumph of hope over experience.

Best to just ignore abusive trolls, I find.
    The fact that you have no idea what I'm talking about, and that you're completely oblivious to the catastrophic economic situation of Southern Europe countries tells me you're completely disconnected from reality. Either you really don't know what's going on and you're just an idiot, or you do know and you don't care, which makes you a sociopath.

Quote Originally Posted by Krush View Post
    Wow, have we found the one relentlessly sunny, trusting optimist left in the world? I've never spoken to anyone in any nation who was even halfway satisfied with the job their government was doing.

The world is a bit more diversified than that.

About 85% of a certain quite big nation are either fully or basically satisfied with what their government does. Even if the government outright lowers their quality of life and takes away their personal freedoms. I guess it demonstates differences between societies of individualists and collectivists.

Quote Originally Posted by Manwe
    and that you're completely oblivious to the catastrophic economic situation of Southern Europe countries
    Sorry, but you have no idea of what is a "catastrophic economic situation"
    Last edited by 242; 23rd Jun 2016 at 14:34.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    And in other news, I see that US Democrats have ended their sit-in. I thought that was kind of inspiring as I believe it's not the sort of thing that happens over there. Or here for that matter.
    Just a little election year political theater to rally the base, which is not uncommon around this time, although the sit-in was a new twist.

Wow, have we found the one relentlessly sunny, trusting optimist left in the world? I've never spoken to anyone in any nation who was even halfway satisfied with the job their government was doing.
    A little history, even a little foreign events, puts a much better spin on your typical western democracy. I feel that your average "Tear down the system!" extremist has a ridiculously sunny vision of who's likely to step into any given power vacuum.

Wow, have we found the one relentlessly sunny, trusting optimist left in the world?
    Come on, please don't be so cinical .
    I've never spoken to anyone in any nation who was even halfway satisfied with the job their government was doing.
    Perhaps you should travel more than you do now. Although I've never been in Switzerland, I guess its people is satisfied with their government at least halfway. The situation on Norway, and Sweden, I hope, is similar.

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    About 85% of a certain quite big nation are either fully or basically satisfied with what their government does. Even if the government outright lowers their quality of life and takes away their personal freedoms.
    There you are, my dear friend. It's nice of you to join us. Thanks for another portion of Russophobia you've just brought in - we all were waiting for this. Please, continue.

About 85% of a certain quite big nation are either fully or basically satisfied with what their government does. Even if the government outright lowers their quality of life and takes away their personal freedoms.
    Therein lies the problem with cultural conditioning in a statist society...When vulnerable minds are indoctrinated at a very young age, all of this societal dysfunctionality and individual disempowerment appears "normal" and just "feels right".

I've never been to Russia, but I have a suspicion that many of the Russians who lived through the chaos and corruption of the Yeltsin years are happier to have a strong man in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Manwe View Post
    The fact that you have no idea what I'm talking about, and that you're completely oblivious to the catastrophic economic situation of Southern Europe countries tells me you're completely disconnected from reality. Either you really don't know what's going on and you're just an idiot, or you do know and you don't care, which makes you a sociopath.

I was just in Southern Europe last month, you absolute tosser. It's exactly the same as it always was: hot, dry and about twenty years behind the rest of us. They still go to bed half way through the day for no reason at all, shops still don't open on a Sunday and car indicators appear to be an optional extra. The locals are short and dark and have a five o'clock shadow by 2pm, and that's just the women. It is also, in its own way, rather wonderful. Drinkable wine can be found for less than a euro a bottle, the wildlife is excellent and there are no CCTV cameras. A sack of bell peppers costs the same as a single fruit on a British supermarket shelf. I'm tempted to say that Southern Europe is wasted on the Southern Europeans, but fortunately there's enough of us from the North to keep it a going concern.

Quote Originally Posted by MoroseTroll View Post
    There you are, my dear friend. It's nice of you to join us. Thanks for another portion of Russophobia you've just brought in - we all were waiting for this. Please, continue.
    We? Are you royal or something.
    I feel for you and your leader today, my putinist "friend". It seems like Brits decided to remain after all.
    But don't you worry, there are plenty of people in Europe who still want to destroy EU and pal with your fuhrer.

Interesting age distribution, brings optimism:

I've never been to Russia, but I have a suspicion that many of the Russians who lived through the chaos and corruption of the Yeltsin years are happier to have a strong man in charge.
    Yes. Like Germans in the late 1930th. There is little doubt that on the first really free Russian elections majority will vote for outright neo-nazis, with 15 years of all-embracing state propaganda they are pumped with imperialism and hatred for freedom, democracy, and liberalism. So it's only for the better that their will is under contol for now.

PS: I don't hate Russians per se, I hate their current damaged condition. They will eventually heal, but it certainly won't be soon, and perhaps the recovery will have huge price.
    Last edited by 242; 23rd Jun 2016 at 19:39.

It seems like Brits decided to remain after all.
    Results declared so far seem to be slightly more leave than expected, I think it'll be bloody close though whichever way it ends up.

It's looking really, really bad. You're actually doing it. You quacking fucking spastics.

verbose douchebag
    To quote my facebook status:

"I suppose I shouldn't overly concern myself with the final result. Either way it goes, I have to face the fact that UK is ill-informed enough to be approximately half convinced that leaving the EU will yield benefits. I wasn't exactly proud to be British before, but this referendum has flipped that absence of pride to full shame. 3 more years until I can apply for French citizenship."

Even if Remain clinch it, it won't wipe out my shame that it was so close.

The seeds of discontent will sprout. It will happen in the US, Russia, China, UK, elsewhere. It will be ugly. I hope not to see it. Those in power are doing what they can to stop this insurrection. It is hard to stop an idea. Expect more 1984 dystopian tactics. Expect more doublethink and though police. Expect tyranny for peace. Expect death for health. Expect austerity for progress. End message.

Sweet fucking alpaca, as the results come in it just gets closer and closer.
    And here I was thinking our TTLG poll was overstating the Leave vote...
    What a lousy day for the cosmopolitans.

Ugh, and we in the US still have to replay this same scaremonger shit in November on Everybody-Pay-Attention-To Trump day.
    What a lousy year for the cosmopolitans.

Edit: I do get a kick out of this photo though. Even the ghost of Thatcher is saying no no no, don't actually go.
    Last edited by demagogue; 23rd Jun 2016 at 22:57.

I have know for a very long time that at least half the country were cretins, xenophobes and racists, a rancid pus-filled boil just waiting to explode all over everything that is sane and good in Britain.

With any luck, these braindead fuckwits will suffer the biggest consequences of leaving the EU in the most epic case of chickens coming home to roost since Adolf Eichmann was left dangling at the end of a short rope.

Administrator
    This can swing either way still quite a lot on this one. Some large population areas (Cardiff, Edinburgh and a lot of London) still have to declare and are likely to have a big remain influence. In any event, I'll respect the outcome of the vote but I really don't want this to be a "told you so" lesson for the country as a whole if leave win.

The way this is unfolding is the most dramatic vote of this nature in recent memory and it's certainly making it hard to (get back to) sleep tonight.

With any luck, these braindead fuckwits will suffer the biggest consequences of leaving the EU in the most epic case of chickens coming home to roost since Adolf Eichmann was left dangling at the end of a short rope.
    No they won't. The biggest losers will be the people who want to travel, study and do business in the EU. Other than that, the economic impact is predicted to be distributed pretty evenly.

Well, of course farmers and less developed regions who got money from the EU will be worse off as well.

My only consolation at the moment is that I'll be moving from a Leave county to a Remain county at the end of the year. Scotland's looking like quite a nice place to live.

Administrator
    I'm obviously biased but yes, it is . However, it may be in for interesting times again politically depending on how this turns out overall.

Apparently you can have another referendum, leave the UK and rejoin the EU. And 48% of the rest of the UK will move north.

Might take 5 years for another referendum, though, depending on the circumstances.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Apparently you can have another referendum, leave the UK and rejoin the EU. And 48% of the rest of the UK will move north.
    That's fine - in Edinburgh that's known as "Festival season" and happens every year anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Might take 5 years for another referendum, though, depending on the circumstances.
    I hope it doesn't happen again, personally - the divisive nature of the last one was very unwelcome and led to a lot of bad feelings between people that shouldn't have arisen.

For this vote it's looking increasingly difficult to see this as anything other than a leave victory now. Quite a few large city areas have voted now and although they have been for remain they haven't made much difference to the overall balance. Interesting times.
    Last edited by Al_B; 23rd Jun 2016 at 23:05. Reason: Sniped by starker

Yeah, Farage is already patting himself on the back and calling it Independence Day.

Yes, I have an overwhelming desire to punch him in the face.

The birds are up now and I must get up and go. I shall try and come back later because this is probably the only place I'll feel at home now.

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520253035 ... LastLast