TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Should Britain leave the European Union?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!...Must Brexit!

20 33.33%
  • NO!...We Must Remain!

32 53.33%
  • I have no idea what I want, yet I will vote anyway!

8 13.33%
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621263136 ... LastLast

Thread: BREXIT --->

"This is a victory for the decent, for honest, real ordinary people."
    "We have done it without a bullet being fired."

-- Nigel Farage, scumbag extraordinaire

I guess I don't want to post on Facebook because I feel I'm probably better off not knowing what reactions I'd get.
    But this is what I wanted to say:

Well, possibly researching at EU Institute in the near future, I wonder if they'll bother being English-friendly anymore. I wonder if they'll bother ever translating any EU document or ECJ decision into English again. I'm probably most annoyed at my research getting more complicated as anything, second perhaps just to #Brexit being a blow to cosmopolitanism & an open world.

Lest we forget, open borders and markets are what the Right used to fight for. Thatcher & Reagan are probably up in heaven shouting down, "No no no! You're doing the exact opposite of what we said." This isn't the conservatism anybody Conservative ever wanted. (Needless to say it doesn't even pass the laugh test for progressives.)
    :blugh:

Oh, stuff will probably still get translated into English. I'm not sure about the future of the English language department, though. There will certainly be less demand for it, so there could be some downsizing. Might see French become more of a... er... lingua franca, but English is still used a lot in business and spoken widely as a second language.

Seems like 1913 all over again. Not quite 1914 tough. Similar, but very different. Same players with similar aspirations. This time has a bit of unity. Heaven help the meek. Those that do not tow the line for the masters. Heaven help those that rely upon international bankers and their empty promises. And lastly, my heart felt sorrow for those that are displaced by the action. NAFTA killed my career. Good luck with your EU debacle. If you're are a professional, expect to be laid off, or given a chance to work for 45% of pay. Best of luck. Tick tock...

Oh wait, as you all slumber... the tide has turned. See BREXIT is on. Hum? What to make out of this? I will be watching.
    Last edited by bjack; 24th Jun 2016 at 00:16.

Moderator and Priest
    So I saw elsewhere that the British pound is taking a beating the likes of which it's never taken in its thousand year history. Now explain to me, ignorant USian that I am, what exactly this accomplishes beyond giving a general warm fuzziness in the cockles of the English nationalists' hearts? From what I gather, the only thing the EU controls is trade and workers rights laws among its member countries. So why is everyone screaming about this being a victory for sovereignty?

Yeah, it's definitely over, folks...All of the news outlets have called it, and Birmingham has voted for Leave

--- BBC Realtime EU Referendum Results ---

Predicted Result = 52% Leave, 48% Remain

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    So why is everyone screaming about this being a victory for sovereignty?
    Um, see, now the UK can make its own trade deals all over again. Y'know, the ones that have been painstakingly put together over the decades with the EU. Except this time it will be as a proud independent country instead of one of the biggest members in one of the biggest markets in the world.

I feel bad for whoever is the next scapegoat after this doesn't magically solve peoples perceived problems. Fear and anger always need find a focal point.

Cameron, most likely. Even if he somehow survives this, I don't expect him to have a bright future in politics.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Um, see, now the UK can make its own trade deals all over again. Y'know, the ones that have been painstakingly put together over the decades with the EU. Except this time it will be as a proud independent country instead of one of the biggest members in one of the biggest markets in the world.
    So basically this was nothing more than a masturbatory excursion that could end up having some dire consequences of the UK economy. SOUNDS GRAND!

As expected, there will be high volatility for a while.
    Last edited by Vae; 24th Jun 2016 at 00:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    So basically this was nothing more than a masturbatory excursion that could end up having some dire consequences of the UK economy. SOUNDS GRAND!
    Well, it can also cut some red tape like workers rights, safety regulations and environmental protection stuff.

Hmm... now Sinn Fein calls for reunification...

Their "own trade deals" must be code for closing markets as tightly as possible until UK businesses are selling to a few sheepherders in Abruzzo.
    Volatility for a while; deflationary trap indefinitely.

also seems it's done. UK is leaving. Well...

By the way, stupid question: is Brexit vote by Britain OR whole UK? i.e. is north Ireland/Scotland/Wales going to leave too or just Britain?

The Brexit vote was for the whole UK.

The whole UK. Which is why there is talk of Scotland and NI going their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Well, it can also cut some red tape like workers rights, safety regulations and environmental protection stuff.
    They could - but such actions could even further damage its EU trade (since the EU has rules about its trading partners that look a lot like its internal rules), which is, to put it mildly, not good for the U.K.'s GDP. London is a major financial center for the EU, if that becomes an even slightly uphill proposition, the listings will quickly migrate to France, Germany, whatever. That would basically look like a major transfer of income (specifically brokerage and other financial transaction fees) from the UK to the (remaining) EU.

EDIT: Wait, Northern Ireland is considering splitting from the UK? Presumably without joining the rest of Ireland, I would guess? Would they form their own little country? Join Scotland?

For anyone still holding on to hope...It is now mathematically impossible for Remain to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    EDIT: Wait, Northern Ireland is considering splitting from the UK? Presumably without joining the rest of Ireland, I would guess? Would they form their own little country? Join Scotland?
    The idea is reunification, of course.

As for relations with the EU, I don't see much hope for them remaining good. EU won't be likely to offer UK a good deal because they would want to dissuade others from leaving. Far right forces in the EU are unlikely to miss the opportunity to get their countries to follow UK's lead.
    Last edited by Starker; 24th Jun 2016 at 01:36.

Eustados Unidos says goodbye UK....

WAIT

Farage's first words on Brexit win...

The UK left the EU? So what? They never were really in it. Not really. Oh you can say that they were in it, unless you put your money where your mouth is... The Pound never became the Euro. The UK was always 1/2 in an 1/2 out, with a varied degree of in and out over the last decade. Time for Scotland, Wales, and No. Ireland to bail, if they choose to. Freedom baby! Yeah!

Unlike SOME here, I've still got my German passport, at least...

Final Results...UK Votes to LEAVE the EU

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621263136 ... LastLast