TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Should Britain leave the European Union?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!...Must Brexit!

20 33.33%
  • NO!...We Must Remain!

32 53.33%
  • I have no idea what I want, yet I will vote anyway!

8 13.33%
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722273237 ... LastLast

Thread: BREXIT --->

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    They could - but such actions could even further damage its EU trade (since the EU has rules about its trading partners that look a lot like its internal rules), which is, to put it mildly, not good for the U.K.'s GDP. London is a major financial center for the EU, if that becomes an even slightly uphill proposition, the listings will quickly migrate to France, Germany, whatever. That would basically look like a major transfer of income (specifically brokerage and other financial transaction fees) from the UK to the (remaining) EU.
    Any sort of economic cost I expect to be used by the right wingers as further proof they were right, in a sort of irony you don't see too often. "We were right to go! They hated us anyway! Look at them dishing out the punishments in their un-free markets! We don't need them! Britain can take it!" and other plunder of Churchillisms.

London is a major financial center for the EU, if that becomes an even slightly uphill proposition, the listings will quickly migrate to France, Germany, whatever.
    London has arguably been the biggest financial center in the whole world. I don't expect it to keep that place, though, good trade relations with the EU or not.

David Cameron has just announced that he is resigning as Prime Minister.

Well, there's your silver lining, I suppose.

To be clear, he will continue to serve as PM for the next few months, until the Conservative Party Conference, in October.

Administrator
    48 vs 52 is a good illustration of my irritation with democracy in certain usages. Does feel like a tyranny of a very slight majority. I don't even know if anyone thought about how it's going to work. Cameron certainly didn't.

I don't think it's worth panicking mind you. I feel it's a pointless change based on a coin flip. I also don't identify this as a "UK" decision because a big chunk of the population probably didn't bother to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Any sort of economic cost I expect to be used by the right wingers as further proof they were right, in a sort of irony you don't see too often.
    Politicians have been claiming that black is white for as long as there have been politicians, but this sounds like political suicide. "Hey unemployed person, I'm the reason you lost your job and I'm proud of it, vote for me!"

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by scumble View Post
    I don't even know if anyone thought about how it's going to work.
    I thought I read that there are in fact some exit clauses in the relevant treaties? And that it will take two years or more.

Britain's 9/11

I also don't identify this as a "UK" decision because a big chunk of the population probably didn't bother to vote.
    There was a 72.2% turnout...which is quite high.

EDIT:I thought I read that there are in fact some exit clauses in the relevant treaties? And that it will take two years or more.
    Yes, that is correct.

LittleFlower
    Let me explain to all you whiners what will happen next.

Cameron will resign. (Already happened, I just read).
    An interim-government will take over.
    The interim-government will arrage new elections. These will take at least a year.
    The interim-government will start work on actually leaving the EU.
    The interim-government will say: "we take the voters in the referendum so seriously, we will already start implementing new laws for them". There will be slightly more border patrol in Dover and Calais. Maybe a few illegal immigrants will be deported (with lots of press attending, but low numbers of immigrants). A few new arrangements with the EU will be made. The UK will pay a little less money to the EU. Etc.

A new government will be in place in 18-24 months.
    The new government will say: "the majority of Brits have voted for us. we believe a brexit is against the interest of the british people. we believe the majority of brits have changed their view on the issue. we believe the new laws have satisfied their wishes. we think a brexit is not necessary anymore. the referendum had only an advisery role, and was not binding".
    The UK stays in the EU.

You might think voting matters.
    When it's about the EU, the people's vote and the people's opinion does not matter any more.
    We are beyond that.
    There are better people than us that will decide about our fates.

Three years from now, you can all congratulate me on my psysic prediction powers.
    Thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    There was a 72.2% turnout...which is quite high.
    So adjusting for turnout, were down to 37% of the U.K. deciding the fate of the whole. I'm not impressed with that particularly.

This isn't even taking account of whether it's a meaningful decision for most people in the country. I do see it as a bit of a farce unfortunately. Politics...

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    Three years from now, you can all congratulate me on my psysic prediction powers.
    For some reason this reminds me of several people confidently predicting that Hillary Clinton would be the next president - about 9 years ago. Does "next next" count?

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    Let me explain to all you whiners what will happen next.

Cameron will resign. (Already happened, I just read).
    An interim-government will take over.
    The interim-government will arrage new elections. These will take at least a year.
    The interim-government will start work on actually leaving the EU.
    The interim-government will say: "we take the voters in the referendum so seriously, we will already start implementing new laws for them". There will be slightly more border patrol in Dover and Calais. Maybe a few illegal immigrants will be deported (with lots of press attending, but low numbers of immigrants). A few new arrangements with the EU will be made. The UK will pay a little less money to the EU. Etc.

A new government will be in place in 18-24 months.
    The new government will say: "the majority of Brits have voted for us. we believe a brexit is against the interest of the british people. we believe the majority of brits have changed their view on the issue. we believe the new laws have satisfied their wishes. we think a brexit is not necessary anymore. the referendum had only an advisery role, and was not binding".
    The UK stays in the EU.

You might think voting matters.
    When it's about the EU, the people's vote and the people's opinion does not matter any more.
    We are beyond that.
    There are better people than us that will decide about our fates.

Thanks in advance.

No offence, but you are talking out of your arsehole.

LittleFlower
    Yeah, you seem to be the smart one here.

Only if the next prime-minister is Farage or Boris himself, the UK might actually leave the EU. If the regular Tories or Labour win the next elections (which will happen), the UK will stay in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    Britain's 9/11
    Actually, in the UK, June 23rd will become a national holiday, known as "UK Independence Day"...or just "Independence Day".

I don't even know if anyone thought about how it's going to work.
    The UK will struggle to keep the country together. The EU will struggle to keep the union together. Brits will negotiate new treaties over time from a much weaker position. The split itself will cost both parties a significant amount of resources short term and the global economy will take a hit as well. Geopolitically, both EU and UK will become less relevant, especially with Asia on the rise, and if the EU isn't able to overcome the recent economic and political crises, it will once more dissolve into quarreling, bickering nation-states.

Well, now the next step, far right should come to power in European countries. Europe just needs such a shake and disruption. Trump may help too. To end the current trend of populism, fear, disunity and incompetence and start something new and optimistic. But decline first.
    Last edited by 242; 24th Jun 2016 at 06:15.

If there is a Frexit, the EU will be no more.

Europe needs a far right cure like an anorexic needs tapeworms.

Politicians have been claiming that black is white for as long as there have been politicians, but this sounds like political suicide. "Hey unemployed person, I'm the reason you lost your job and I'm proud of it, vote for me!"
    They weren't the reason for losing the job. It's the capricious disrespect of Britain that simply asserting a right to an independent vote has exposed for all to see. 'And we made it happen! We are the exposers of the disdain and the Hobson's choice that was Europe! Now give us government and we can Make Britain Great Again'

On a lighter note, there is now a petition calling for London to declare independence from the UK and join the EU: https://www.change.org/p/sadiq-khan-...to-join-the-eu

...and apparently one petition wasn't enough: https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliame...european-union
    Last edited by Starker; 24th Jun 2016 at 07:48.

I take back what I said earlier about Cameron's political savvy in using these referendums to weaken his opposition. You guys/gals were right.

Judith

And of course, Polend.

Judith please check your facts

greetings from Switzerland

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722273237 ... LastLast