TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Should Britain leave the European Union?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!...Must Brexit!

20 33.90%
  • NO!...We Must Remain!

31 52.54%
  • I have no idea what I want, yet I will vote anyway!

8 13.56%
Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 61116171819202122232425263136 ... LastLast

Thread: BREXIT --->

In a stunning coincidence, the article I'm working on right now is how EU trade rules, well more the ECJ that interprets them, negotiate cultural pluralism. Actually I wrote it ages ago, but for some reason I thought it'd be a good idea to update it & publish as an article now.

Edit: @Kolya, Germans aren't immune! One of the famous cases was Bavaria's cunning plan to ban beer with additives from using the name "beer", well "bier", the so-called beer purity laws. Their literal defense in court was, well Germans drink so much more beer than the rest of Europe so, you know, health. They lost but hard not to respect their attempt.
    Last edited by demagogue; 31st Mar 2017 at 04:08.

I remember that of course. The defense was specifically that German stomachs were used to pure beer and anything else would be a health hazard. Hilarity ensued.
    Of course I only drink beer without additives. But that was just a transparent attempt to protect German brewers. It wasn't that Verheugen didn't know better.

Moderator and Priest
    Kolya, that may be the third greatest gif I've ever seen.

Agree.

I don't know what it is but everything seems wrong at the moment. I voted 'Remain' or whatever the choice was in 1975. And I haven't had reason to change my mind since. I'd love to move to Europe before it's too late but suspect I'd be going alone. I wouldn't blame them but I'm afraid there'll be another Scotland Independence vote which will say yes this time and I'll be stuck with Wales and England. The US is all over the place and I'm alternately shocked and appalled at the sleaze/apparent dodginess of the current Administration. I feel our better bet would have beeen staying with Europe. And that's gone.

I'm afraid of the rise in right-wing thought and activity. And I feel it will get worse. It all feels sodding awful.

Moderator and Priest
    We're definitely going through another "looks like we have to learn our lessons the hard way" kick at the moment. It's merely time for a new generation to learn that stark isolationist/protectionist policies are destined to fail, as they have the previous umpteen hundred times they've been attempted.

It's a cyclical thing. A reactionary kneejerk that inevitably arises when the world seems a little more scary than usual. We'll weather it, same as always, and eventually swing back towards more centrist positions.

So any update on that apocalypse then? I don't quite follow the news and would like to make some preparations before it happens. First it was supposed to happen right after the vote, then right after the negotiations, then after they activated article 50, and now employment is at an all-time high? I don't understand, shouldn't there be rampaging in the streets, stores being pillaged, war, death, and famine?

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    We're definitely going through another "looks like we have to learn our lessons the hard way" kick at the moment.
    I'm pretty sure Greece has learned its lesson the hard way.

It's merely time for a new generation to learn that stark isolationist/protectionist policies are destined to fail
    Ah yes, I wonder how the countries outside of the EU (i.e. every other country in the world) have managed to survive that long with their stark isolationist, protectionist, and let's be honest, fascist policies. It's a miracle when you think about it.

as they have the previous umpteen hundred times they've been attempted.
    You mean like that one time when the Soviet Union never fell apart and survived to this day. And how when it didn't fall apart the world totally descended into utter chaos? Or that one time when Switzerland and Norway refused to join the EU and vanished from the face of the earth?

It's a cyclical thing. A reactionary kneejerk that inevitably arises when the world seems a little more scary than usual. We'll weather it, same as always
    Actually the world looks very inviting and welcoming and we would like to join it. To the world, the US and the EU are the scary ones. You know the ones dropping bombs and killing innocent civilians.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    I'm afraid of the rise in right-wing thought and activity. And I feel it will get worse. It all feels sodding awful.
    So you're afraid of thinking? How very telling... But you should rejoice actually, right-wing "thought and activity" is on its deathbed. The media has zero credibility left, the EU is about to fall apart and the contradictions inherent to the facist antifa movements and the right-wing liberals defending them (the kind we have on this forum) have been laid bare for all to see. Although they are at their most violent, vicious and disingenuous when cornered, as we've seen recently in the US (and on this forum).

Meanwhile, France is about to elect Mélenchon as its next president. A known "Euroskeptic" and evil "right-wing" leftist. And with Asselineau's UPR gaining 1k members a week, six months down the line, when Mélenchon fails to apply his program and reneges on everything he stands for (which isn't much beyond "vote for me"), they'll have reached such critical mass that the media and politicians won't be able to ignore them any more.

Fun times ahead.

I wouldn't blame them but I'm afraid there'll be another Scotland Independence vote which will say yes this time and I'll be stuck with Wales and England.
    What makes you think they would vote Yes now?

I'm afraid of the rise in right-wing thought and activity. And I feel it will get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Manwe View Post
    So you're afraid of thinking? How very telling...
    Well he's got nothing to fear from you then, has he?

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinatedzombeh View Post
    I haven't been following this particularly but 62% voted to Remain which I'm guessing they can only do if they become independent. But maybe they would be content with retaining some kind of EU relationship.

The Leave UK vote was bigger than the Remain in EU vote by 7%, which works out to 250,000 people, and they only need 4-5% over the last Scottish independence referendum.

They aren't necessarily the same people of course, some people in that 7% differential are getting double-counted, so it may be less than 250K. But I suspect there's a quite high correlation between Leave UK and Stay in EU, so not too much eaten away from that 7%.

We also need a poll to know the distribution of priority between those two, but without further info I'd assume a normal distribution proportionally weighted to the stay in the EU camp the same as the differential between the two votes. Then it's simple maths. Actually by that napkin maths it'd be right on the line.

But I actually think that assumption (proportionally weighting a normal curve) is too conservative and there'd be more people preferring to stay in the EU over the UK than proportional to the EU Stay vote, closer to the absolute number itself (the full 7% minus whatever we subtracted from above), which only inches farther over the line the more it holds.

Actually I have no idea. I just like poli-sci stats.
    Last edited by demagogue; 2nd Apr 2017 at 17:53.

An independent Scotland would have to join the EU the same way anyone else would.

They'd have a significant advantage over many other accession states in terms of regulatory compatibility and that sort of thing but the economic requirements of joining the euro would be somewhat on the scary side. (we're talking cuts to public spending somewhere in the region of the entire budget of NHS Scotland)

This also goes for other stuff like NATO. Scotland would be a new state, basically. Though I'm sure they would be fast-tracked through a lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    The leave UK vote was bigger than the leave EU vote by 7%, which works out to 250,000 people, and they only need 4-5% over the last Scottish independence referendum.
    I haven't a clue what you're saying here.

The vote against independence (leaving the UK) was 55.3%. The vote against leaving the EU was 62%. I'm pretty sure I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

But I have now done a bit of reading about my throwaway comment and 'experts' do talk a lot about the finances and how it would be crap for at least a very long while, if viable at all as Zombeh notes. I've also read, here and there, that Sturgeon is probably wrong if she thinks that the pro-EU vote would translate to a pro-independence vote. I don't know either way but if it was me, I wouldn't want to vote on anything until I knew what France and, later this year, Germany were doing.

Such a long time since May '68. Never in a million years would I have thought that France would move so far to the right to even consider Marine Le Pen to be remotely acceptable. To everyone, I'm not trying to be factual or analytical, I just find myself responding emotionally to current events. I remember a kinder time, that's all.

RIP Darcus Howe.

Sorry yes, I meant the 62% voting Remain (EU). I got my wires crossed and mistyped it. (In my defense it's easy to do that!) 62-55=7ish (6.7% rounding up.) Add some percent of those people to the 45% voting in favor of Scottish Independence, and that's where the extra support comes from to cross the line, which is what the rest of the post is trying to figure out. Ie, that 6.7% is 250K people (not exactly but close), and the Scottish Ind. vote needs 180K people to flip to change the outcome.

Edit. Then all the caveats come in, eg, translating that 7% into 250K people implies they are actual people that actually voted Remain-UK that could flip in a 2nd vote, but that's not necessarily true. The two referenda could have come from rather different pools of people in Scotland so it's not a real set of individuals. But I argued the number may represent a trend that holds for any arbitrary pool of people you select so it's still relevant to a second Scot-Ind. vote.

And we need to know of the potential flippers that follow that trend (ie, want both Remain UK & EU), which they prioritize between Remain-UK and Remain-EU, where I argued you can guesstimate 70% or so would prioritize Remain-EU just based on how priority curves normally look like (because its vote was bigger, indicating a stronger opinion), which is really close to the line. (Ideally we'd want polling to be accurate on these numbers, and it probably exists but I'm going with the vote numbers here just 'cause.)

But then I said this is all just maths, so I don't really know anything. Just an interesting exercise.
    Last edited by demagogue; 2nd Apr 2017 at 18:40.

Such a long time since May '68. Never in a million years would I have thought that France would move so far to the right to even consider Marine Le Pen to be remotely acceptable. To everyone, I'm not trying to be factual or analytical, I just find myself responding emotionally to current events. I remember a kinder time, that's all.
    Yeah, it has been pretty odd to see people with giddy nihilism try to tear apart what little European unity has been achieved. You'd think people would have learned at least something from history by now.

Thanks, dema, I can never be entirely sure that I'm understanding what I'm reading.

I suspect the presence of rose-coloured glasses, Starker, although Polly Toynbee says a lot of it for me. So much we take for granted now.

Younger people could be wishing we of the Who generation really had all died before we got old. What’s become of us? We who won all those freedoms on sex, contraception, abortion, gay rights, divorce, who saw the start of women’s lib, an end to censorship, capital and corporal punishment, who threw off hats, gloves and conventions to wear and think what we liked? But no doubt many of my generation never bought into what seemed like the spirit of the age: abolishing capital punishment was never popular.
    I was a bit shocked to read:

Brexiters are 53% for bringing back the rope (supported by just 20% of remainers). Bring back beating in schools, say 42% of Brexiters (against just 14% of remainers). Three times more Brexiters than remainers would bring back incandescent lightbulbs, blue passports, imperial weights and measures and pre-decimal currency – which would fox anyone under 55.

Moderator and Priest
    Pre-decimal currency? Are you talking about a throwback to the shillings and pence days, where everything was divvied up by fractions of a pound?

A farthing for your thoughts.

I was a bit shocked to read:
    That yougov polls are as informative and useful as ever?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    A farthing for your thoughts.
    Sorry, my thoughts are worth a quid a piece.

That yougov polls are as informative and useful as ever?
    Well, yes, there is that.

We're definitely going through another "looks like we have to learn our lessons the hard way" kick at the moment. It's merely time for a new generation to learn that stark isolationist/protectionist policies are destined to fail, as they have the previous umpteen hundred times they've been attempted.

It's a cyclical thing. A reactionary kneejerk that inevitably arises when the world seems a little more scary than usual. We'll weather it, same as always, and eventually swing back towards more centrist positions.
    Which is ironic because you're posting this as the globalist, corporatist Utopia that George Bush Sr. promised us with his "New World Order" speech is collapsing all around you.

Nothing is collapsing ffs. GM and GE and Nabisco and Harley Davidson, et al, are all making the global new world order tick whether governments want it or not.

The only question is if gov'ts are going to jump in front of the curve and take a lead in advancing globalization in positive ways or if they close their eyes to reality and are completely reactive to events beyond their foresight.

I take it as a given that the former is better off for all involved. But the latter isn't the end of civilization, just a really dumb and avoidable loss.

Don't you worry, Lord Dampnut will put the globalism genie back in the bottle. And he has a great plan to do it in 30 days or your money back. Act now and get the economy plan Autarky completely free of charge!

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool. Process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated are. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my cat. Don't quote me on that. Don't quote me on anything. All rights reserved. You may distribute this article freely but you may not make a profit from it. Terms are subject to change without notice. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental. Do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law. Hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat. Do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. This article is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Use of this article in a manner not in conformance with labeling may be a violation of Federal, State, or Local Laws, Statutes, or Regulations and may or may not subject the user to maximum enforcement under these laws, statutes, or regulations. Caveat emptor. Article is provided "as is" without any warranties. Reader assumes full responsibility. An equal opportunity article. No shoes, no shirt, no service. Quantities are limited while supplies last. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory -- explicit lyrics -- text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Keep away from sunlight. Keep away from pets and small children. Limit one-per-family please. No money down. No purchase necessary. You need not be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Instructions are included. Action figures sold separately. No preservatives added. Slippery when wet. Safety goggles may be required during use. Sealed for your protection, do not read if safety seal is broken. Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse. For external use only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading. Read only with proper ventilation. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place. Keep away from open flames. Avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source. Smoking this article could be hazardous to your health. The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a condom. No salt, MSG, artificial color or flavoring added. If ingested, do not induce vomiting, and if symptoms persist, consult a physician. Articles are ribbed for your pleasure. Possible penalties for early withdrawal. Offer valid only at participating sites. Slightly higher west of the Rockies. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. Disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized reading, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.). Please consult your physician if unforeseen side effects develop. Non-fatal if swallowed. Proven effective in laboratory experiments. Other restrictions may apply.

This supersedes all previous notices.

No electrons were harmed in the making of this disclaimer.

Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 61116171819202122232425263136 ... LastLast