TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Should Britain leave the European Union?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!...Must Brexit!

    20 33.33%
  • NO!...We Must Remain!

    32 53.33%
  • I have no idea what I want, yet I will vote anyway!

    8 13.33%
Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 271217181920212223242526273237 ... LastLast
Results 526 to 550 of 980

Thread: BREXIT --->

  1. #526
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    Which is ironic because you're posting this as the globalist, corporatist Utopia that George Bush Sr. promised us with his "New World Order" speech is collapsing all around you.
    Is it? Because last time I checked, the market is still healthy, corporate profits are hitting record highs, China is still our #1 trade partner, our economies are still healthy. Some static from Brexit, which harms the UK moreso than the "Globalist New World Order", and Trump paying lip service to certain talking points does not a collapse of the modern world make.

    Though I can't help but remark on the fact that the buffers used to protect our own workforce in a now globalized market are usually derided as Communist Socialist blah blah blah. Maintaining a small wealth gap? Supporting a higher minimum wage that scales with inflation to keep the low end of the economy flexible? Funding healthcare and education to foster a fluid, adaptable, and independent workforce that can change with market demands? Oh hell no! That's Stalin's America! Let's kick all the spics out, and pat ourselves on the back!

  2. #527
    BANNED
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Tony, off the top of your head (be honest) can you name the two European regulatory agencies that currently reside in the UK and which will be moving after Brexit?

  3. #528
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: In my room
    nickie's hands?

  4. #529
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Is it? Because last time I checked, the market is still healthy, corporate profits are hitting record highs, China is still our #1 trade partner, our economies are still healthy. Some static from Brexit, which harms the UK moreso than the "Globalist New World Order", and Trump paying lip service to certain talking points does not a collapse of the modern world make.
    If you think it's such a wonderful economy, than you're completely economically ignorant.

    It's even more hilarious seeing a liberal such as yourself using "corporate profits" as proof of a strong economy.....when dominance of the economy by corporate elites is exactly the thing you've been railing against the last sixteen years. There's no pretzel you won't twist yourself into to in the name of the grand cause.

    Globalism definitely benefits some people though. Notice how income inequality begins a smooth but noticeable explosion starting exactly in the early 90's when the globalist/corporatist ideology became the dominant force about the time of Bush Sr?



    Or this data



    As I've said before....just because YOU as a lawyer are doing well doesn't even remotely mean that the rest of the economy is doing well. You also should know that averages do not necessarily tell the whole story. If you live in a trailer park and your neighbor wins the powerball, you now statisticially live in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in America. That doesn't reflect reality and the income inequality is now to the point that you can't necessarily say "the economy" is improving simply by quoting a mean statistic.

    I mean fuck....I seem to remember you saying you're from Georgia. Try driving up the road to Gainesville, down to Jesup, or to any one of those small town away from the highway and spend the day exploring....then tell me if you still feel the economy is "healthy". Or drive to any minority neighborhood, spend the afternoon looking around the local businesses, and tell me you still feel that way. Just do ANYTHING to get outside your circle of privileged white collar white people.

    That's the real irony. You're claiming to be against things like "white privilege" and for most progressive "equality" talking points while being completely oblivious to the reality that people less privileged than yourself live in.....and worse completely closed minded to any information about the less privileged to the point that you get angry if anyone tries to tell you.

    And BTW...populism is a SYMPTOM of that economic collapse, rather than either a cause or a cure.

    Tony, off the top of your head (be honest) can you name the two European regulatory agencies that currently reside in the UK and which will be moving after Brexit?
    I wasn't under the impression that there were any headquartered in the UK. All the one I am familiar with operate primarily out of either Brussels or Frankfurt.

    And why on earth are you asking me? I don't understand how the exact physical location of a regulatory agency's headquarters means jack shit for anybody other than the travel industry.

  5. #530
    Also a brief note:

    I would HIGHLY caution you against analyzing the health of corporations by their "corporate profits", as that number is relatively easy to manipulate through accounting tricks such as adjusting the timing of revenue recognition, changing inventory account practices, writing receivables allowances up and down, etc. Operating cash flows are a better proxy all other things being equal. If you look just at "earnings" that's a great way to end up investing in a Wells Fargo or SalesForce.

  6. #531
    Moderator
    Registered: Apr 2003
    Location: Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    nickie's hands?
    Yes please, and can the rest of me go too?

  7. #532
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: not here
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    As I've said before....just because YOU as a lawyer are doing well
    Renz isn't a lawyer, you incredibly confused tit. Unless you're arguing that dema and Renz are the same person and we the sheeple have all been charmed and taken in by their glittery intellects and taste in ersatz wool.

    HEY, DEMA! RENZ! YOU GUYS DONE GOOFED!

  8. #533
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Hello. My name is Demagogue. I am the avatar of erudition! Big words big words big words!

  9. #534
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: In my room
    Okay, so he got your background wrong, but that was not really the point.
    You think the economy is going good but we need to protect the workforce from the faulting of globalisation. And Tony seems to think the same. He's just refusing to accept the current state as a "good economy", which is understandable. But still you only differ in degrees on the problem, as well as solutions apparently. You named "a small wealth gap" (as well as minimum wage and healthcare). And Tony pointed at the enormous income gap.
    I mean, are you two even in different parties?

  10. #535
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    It's not that I disagree with him on the whole, so much as his conspiratorial hyperbole and overwrought doom 'n gloom prognostications make it hard to take him seriously, even when he does bring up the occasional good point.

    It's "globalization has led to issues that need to be addressed sooner rather than later, before they become untenable" vs. "The 1st world is fucked. FUCKED! You and your idiot friends who believe everything they read have been bent over the barrel and humped dry by the cabal of global elitists who are using your blood, sweat, and tears to fund their New World Order!"

    With Tony, it's not the argument so much as the delivery that people take issue with. That, and the way he'll build up a logical argument at first, then jump off the extreme end as he's nearing the end. "Obviously, our overreliance on corporate interests to act as the engine to drive an economy that relies primarily on endless growth has stunted wages in the low and middle class. Therefore, RAELIANS!"

  11. #536
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: In my room
    Might just be a matter of age? At some point we all believe that everyone else is amazingly stupid. Most of us grow out of this embarrassing phase.


  12. #537
    BANNED
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    I wasn't under the impression that there were any headquartered in the UK. All the one I am familiar with operate primarily out of either Brussels or Frankfurt.

    And why on earth are you asking me? I don't understand how the exact physical location of a regulatory agency's headquarters means jack shit for anybody other than the travel industry.
    You spout a lot of vitriol and I was wondering how much you knew about Brexit's effects. Hardly anything it would seem, natch.

    The location of the two tiny and inconsequential regulatory agencies - The European Medicines Agency and The European Banking Authority - makes quite a bit of difference, as you might realise if you had a clue.

  13. #538
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    I mean, are you two even in different parties?
    The right wing seems to get most of its political power from pretending to be left wing. They're always like, "We care about the worker! Here, see, we'll give his boss more of the worker's money. That'll help him!" With about that level of subtlety, really. I always wonder, how does anybody fall for this nonsense?

  14. #539
    Moderator
    Registered: Apr 2003
    Location: Wales
    I wasn't sure where to put this. It might seem more appropriate to the Trump thread, Trump being a person who seems to see a terrorist under every bed. But as it's to do with Europe, I'll post it here. I found it an interesting short read.

    From Eta to Stockholm: Is terror more of a threat to Europe than before?

  15. #540
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2002
    Location: Pacific Northwest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    Just do ANYTHING to get outside your circle of privileged white collar white people.

    That's the real irony. You're claiming to be against things like "white privilege" and for most progressive "equality" talking points while being completely oblivious to the reality that people less privileged than yourself live in.....and worse completely closed minded to any information about the less privileged to the point that you get angry if anyone tries to tell you..
    You messianic enlightened champion of fly0ver c0untr3s downtrodden, you! Give me a hug!

    not meant to be triggering

  16. #541
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    You spout a lot of vitriol and I was wondering how much you knew about Brexit's effects. Hardly anything it would seem, natch.

    The location of the two tiny and inconsequential regulatory agencies - The European Medicines Agency and The European Banking Authority - makes quite a bit of difference, as you might realise if you had a clue.

    No, it doesn't. The "location" doesn't matter in the least. What matters is that they're European Union regulatory agencies, and that once Britain leaves the EU the relevant British industries probably will not (but quite possibly will, depending on the negotiations) be subject to regulation by those industries.

    So.....the EBA is probably going to move to be right next to the ECB in Frankfurt. Does that have any meaningful impact on the regulations themselves? No. The most practical change is that it would give the Germans more influence over the operations of EBA. With any other institution I would say that's significant. With the EBA I'm not sure it's possible for the Germans to have any greater influence over it than they already do. They already answer first and foremost to Deutsche Bank. Them collapsing is great leverage over the regulatory bodies because it's realistic possibility at this point, would cause an EU financial collapse and their balance sheet is so convoluted that nobody really knows how much stress they can take before it happens.


    You messianic enlightened champion of fly0ver c0untr3s downtrodden, you! Give me a hug!

    not meant to be triggering
    Eh, I did. I'm kind of frustrated past the point of civility with this issue....especially finishing up business school. I'm surrounded by TONS of sheltered white people who somehow think, that having an advanced degree while having worked in white collar jobs, surrounded by other privileged white people, somehow means that virtue signaling about "diversity" and eating ethnic food at culture fairs is all they need to do in order to perfectly understand all the problems that underprivileged blue collar workers and minorities face.

    Not surprisingly those of us who have had backgrounds that bring us into contact with people who actually are underprivileged and do physical labor for a living (like other vets, a former NFL linebacker, an oil rig manager, etc to name a few) tend tend to brutally mock the utopian sensibilities of our classmates when we're in a more private setting.


    The right wing seems to get most of its political power from pretending to be left wing. They're always like, "We care about the worker! Here, see, we'll give his boss more of the worker's money. That'll help him!" With about that level of subtlety, really. I always wonder, how does anybody fall for this nonsense?
    I'm not sure if that dynamic still applies as much. The right wing is now starting to exhibit a strong split between populist right wingers and Bush/Cheney style Neocons who that attitude is traditionally associated with ( "cucks" or "Nazis" in each other's lingo).
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 9th Apr 2017 at 15:34.

  17. #542
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2002
    Location: Pacific Northwest
    Then it sounds like you need to hang out with nicer privileged white people I guess.

    Whether the stereotypes are true or not, your painting of people with broad strokes just makes it seem like you're on the other side of the same coin. Those on one side condescend and sneer at those dumb poors, the other side condescends and sneers at coddled and sheltered yuppies.

  18. #543
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2002
    Location: Pacific Northwest
    Also, what the fuck is "virtue signaling?" Is this another thing all sheltered rich white people are supposed to do 100% without fail?

  19. #544
    In my defense, there's a correlation between campus protests and the presence of rich kids:

    http://www.economist.com/news/united...rents-colleges

  20. #545
    BANNED
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    Also, what the fuck is "virtue signaling?" Is this another thing all sheltered rich white people are supposed to do 100% without fail?
    It's announcing, however subtly you do it, that you believe in some moral/ethical cause in such a way as to paint yourself as better than your opponent/others, usually without actually DOING anything apart from "standing in solidarity" with XXX.

    A men wearing a "This is what a feminist looks like" t-shirt for example.

    It's all the rage with the loony left these days. I might despise left wing bleeding heart virtue signaling holier than thou liberals more than I do right wing idiot nationalist racist-without-realising-it dumbo anti-science twatto frother nationalists.

    Asteroid.

    That's what we need right now.

    Have you seen this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-students-told



    This is real. This what unfettered leftwing bullshit gets you. It's actually unreal.

  21. #546
    BANNED
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    No, it doesn't. The "location" doesn't matter in the least. What matters is that they're European Union regulatory agencies, and that once Britain leaves the EU the relevant British industries probably will not (but quite possibly will, depending on the negotiations) be subject to regulation by those industries.
    You've missed the point, natch.

  22. #547
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2002
    Location: London / London / London
    Subj, I am pretty sure you're not a dick, but you occasionally say things that dicks say. Complaining about SJWs and virtue signalling is veering wildly into dick territory. Ooh everyones so PC these days. Don't start sounding like a Stewart Lee routine.

  23. #548
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: In my room
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    It's announcing, however subtly you do it, that you believe in some moral/ethical cause in such a way as to paint yourself as better than your opponent/others, usually without actually DOING anything apart from "standing in solidarity" with XXX.

    A men wearing a "This is what a feminist looks like" t-shirt for example.

    It's all the rage with the loony left these days. I might despise left wing bleeding heart virtue signaling holier than thou liberals more than I do right wing idiot nationalist racist-without-realising-it dumbo anti-science twatto frother nationalists.

    Asteroid.

    That's what we need right now.

    Have you seen this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-students-told


    This is real. This what unfettered leftwing bullshit gets you. It's actually unreal.
    Language policing is stupid, right. However you seem to have some severe bias against people that try to effect positive change.
    Do you froth as much against guys wearing Thug Life t-shirts? Sporting naked women on their clothes? Drug related slogans?
    Why are these okay but a guy standing up for women's rights isn't?

    This is a rhetorical question. I don't care why you do that. But it's something that you should ask yourself.
    Who hurt you so much that anyone taking a moral/ethical stance now seems like a fraud to you, that you feel you have to spill your hatred over?

  24. #549
    BANNED
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    Subj, I am pretty sure you're not a dick, but you occasionally say things that dicks say. Complaining about SJWs and virtue signalling is veering wildly into dick territory. Ooh everyones so PC these days. Don't start sounding like a Stewart Lee routine.
    I didn't mention SJWs at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    Who hurt you so much that anyone taking a moral/ethical stance now seems like a fraud to you, that you feel you have to spill your hatred over?
    It doesn't seem fraudulent.

    Virtue signalling isn't taking a stance though, it's wearing a shirt without ACTUALLY doing anything about it. That's the point, isn't it? VSers wear the shirt without being a feminist, without actually caring about the environment. These are the people that wear Greenpeace t-shirts because it's "cool" whilst scoffing down enough quinoa to feed a small village. It dilutes the real issues.

    I'm not complaining about people who actually have stance that guides their actions.

    Maybe your definition of virtue signalling is different to mine?



    Oh, and I stand by my statements on that story. That Hull Uni language policy is one of the most idiotic things to arrive this decade. And that's saying a lot. I mean...

  25. #550
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2002
    Location: London / London / London
    Yeah, it says a lot about your priorities if you think that's something worth getting wound up about? With all the shit that's going down, people maybe being slightly too keen on social justice and stuff is what pissed you off? Mate. You've mentioned SJWs previously though. I remembered it just because it seemed such a toolish thing to say.

Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 271217181920212223242526273237 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •