TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Should Britain leave the European Union?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!...Must Brexit!

20 37.04%
  • NO!...We Must Remain!

27 50.00%
  • I have no idea what I want, yet I will vote anyway!

7 12.96%
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 381318232425262728

Thread: BREXIT --->

Yup, that's what they told Scotland as well.

Y'all party poopers.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    And even though I (still) live here for the time being, I would take some perverse pleasure if that meant Britain having to pay full rates, i.e. excluding their current discount.
    The commission are planning to scrap all rebates for the next multi-annual funding period, so from that point of view leaving and rejoining is no different to not leaving at all.
    The big differences between the two would be Schengen and the Euro. Given both of those it would be extremely difficult to persuade anything like enough people in the UK to want to join having left.

There have been plans to scrap the rebate for a long time now. One of the reasons it has persisted for so long was because the UK had veto power on this issue, so now there's actually a chance of something happening, but if the UK had stayed in the EU, they'd be able to veto it again, though.

I saw this chart today of poll results, and there's almost a morbid mathematical beauty to how intractable this thing is.

Quick napkin math, the support for each one respectively is No deal: 33%, May: 33%, Norway: 48%, Remain: 44%.
    Last edited by demagogue; 1st Feb 2019 at 23:16.

Looks like Norway's ahead. ...What's that about, anyway?

Membership in all but name. You get access to the common market, including the "four freedoms", and must implement every directive that comes from the EU, but you don't get a say in making them. And you get to pay handsomely for the privilege.

Theoretically, you can reserve the right to opt out of any directive you don't like, but practically, this hardly ever happens. I'm not even sure it's been done at all yet, in Norway's case.

The main upside to the deal for Norway (as opposed to a full membership) is that they get to keep sovereign control over their fish stocks and the EU's fishing fleet out of their waters. Which has been a good thing for Norway, judging by how fisheries are managed in Norway and the EU.

Maybe there's an upside to such a deal for Britain, as well, although I don't know what it would be. London getting to keep all those bankers, perhaps?

I thought the "upside" was people that want to respect referendum get to pretend that it was and that Brexit happened so life can get back to relatively normal (just take the economic hit & loss of decision-making power & move on in a somewhat worse position than before, but at least the least-worst), and people that really wanted to remain can be relieved they got off with the least damage one could expect short of the horrors of a second referendum and the collapse of civilization as we know it that would entail (and it's not even guaranteed to come back with Remain, I don't think, which would just make things worse). Among the available options, it's the one that has the flavour of "legitimate resolution" to it, arguably.

That really seems like "compromise in that nobody gets what they want".

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 381318232425262728