TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Uncharted 4

Level 10,000 achieved

Uncharted 4

Been playing this for a week now, mostly in short 30-min sessions. Not sure why, but it's not grabbing me the way I expected. Maybe it's just that I've been playing a lot of games lately and I'm all gamed out, or maybe it's that the story just isn't that engaging. For sure, it does offer a lot of great character moments, but the overarching plot is perhaps a tad weak. Will hold off on final judgements till I've finished it, but wanna bring up a few things I like. First, stealth! It's more viable than ever, and I find myself slowly stealthing through most enemy encounters. Also, as you'll see in the video below, the stealth and the action blend really well, allowing you to evade and sneak up on enemies again after they've spotted you. On the gameplayside I also wanna give thumbs up to the offroading bits. It's no Spintires, but I really liked having a bit of light rockclimbing to break up the action. Storywise, while it's not the most engaging story, it is well told. I especially like the string of scenes just after the opening credits, which shows where Nathan Drake is at during this time in his life. It shows this not by telling you, but rather just by letting the areas that you move through speak for themselves.

Gameplay vid! A bit of nature walking, stealth, shooting, driving, terrible jokes, and an action setpiece.

Last edited by henke; 18th Jul 2016 at 09:26.

Administrator
    I watched a playthrough of this as I can't play it anyway, lacking a PS4. You do seem to be a bit of a gaming machine right now...

I'd agree the plot is weak but the character development and scenery seem to make up for it. On the gameplay front it looks very similar to tomb raider but I think I'd have liked the stealth implementation. There doesn't seem to be much point to stealth approach in TR.

These console exclusives are a bit of a nuisance. To me it makes the price of this game 300. A little steep...

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Been playing this for a week now, mostly in short 30-min sessions. Not sure why, but it's not grabbing me the way I expected.
    About the same. I've been playing it for about two weeks, seeking all the collectibles takes lot of time, I think statistics says it's ~30hrs already and I'm the chapter 14. It's a quality game with phenomenal graphics and animation, but compared with The Last of Us it just lacks in every department except the graphics/animation. It seems very shallow in comparison. I guess the TLoU just set the bar too high and spoiled the fun from similar games for me.
    Last edited by 242; 23rd Jul 2016 at 13:24.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I finished this a couple days ago and I'm so apathetic about it I can barely be bothered writing anything. Look, it's fine. It's fiiiiiiine.

I feel bad for not liking this more, considering the amount of talent and effort that has clearly gone into it. The gameplay is polished as hell, the characters are likable, and about a zillion bucks in production values has been poured into it, but still I felt like I had to drag myself through it. I'm starting to think 1 Uncharted game was all I really needed. I liked Uncharted 3 a lot, then I played 2 and it was cool, but also kinda just more of the same, and 4 is even more so. I didn't need this.

I played it on Youtube but could not finish. Uncharted is just an excuse for great setpieces but gameplay is too shallow and flawed for me.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm playing Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, and I can safely tell ya that while there's a part of India called the Western Ghats, it's not nearly as small or as pocked with landmarks as in the game - just an FYI in case you decide to go touristing. One nice thing about it that is realistic apart from all the armed rebels (I'm joking, the only war we're fighting is from withi... n/m) is how it evokes the thrills and spills of traversing rough terrain, as on a late night road trip across the selfsame area, a friend of mine (who shall remain nameless) decided to fall asleep and almost drive us off a cliff twice in the same night. It's not the Western Ghats if you can't taste your own tongue curling back on itself in terror! \o/

Also, the game's pretty. Spoilers, but I saw this hard-won bit of architectural vistaness and had to take a photo... or two. (It is, of course, not actually there back in the real world.) Turns out the in-game photo mode even lets you change the angle of the sun! Very neat, I thought most of the lighting information in the game was baked, but clearly there's enough real-time coolness going on too.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 3rd Nov 2019 at 12:24.