TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 381318192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Any day is a TTLG coop day! (was: TTLG coop Saturdays)

I've come around on Wildlands, it's basically Just Cause 2 in co-op with stealth.

So the coop worked okay? No strict NAT issues?

Yeah, Henke and me got in the same game fine.

Thing What Kicks
    Yup. apart from an odd issue where Jesh became invisible briefly, it's been working pretty well. Some greatly enjoyable antics have been had, and the systems are loose enough to provide some genuine surprises, such as when Jesh and I liberated a convoy, were about to claim it for the rebels, when they nicked it out from under our noses.

And I don't think henke knows what the "Ghost" in "Ghost Recon" means.

It certainly doesn't refer to driving right up to a camp, stopping a couple of metres away from the guard, waiting for them to notice you, then driving off in a panic once the whole camp has been alerted

Monaco with Duck, Jesh and Sulphur.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    And I don't think henke knows what the "Ghost" in "Ghost Recon" means.
    It means we should be scary, right? What's scarier than charging a minivan straight into an enemy camp?

Chakat sex pillow
    Good editing, Bob. This was good times.

Also, Duck: you're an asshole. <3

Were you guys thinking of more Ghost Reconing and henke being scary next Saturday? If so, I'd be up for that (hoping that it wasn't my connection for some reason that screwed things up when we checked out the beta).

Level 10,000 achieved
    BOOOOOOooooOOOOOooooOOOoooOOOO!

That's ghost-speak for "yes, I'd love to play more Ghost Recon Wildlands on Saturday".

Boo to you too, kind sir. Anything I should do in-game before then? I've just replayed the first mission (and I very quickly realised that this is the kind of game where I'm better off skipping the cutscenes).

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Were you guys thinking of more Ghost Reconing and henke being scary next Saturday?
    Definitely!
    Unlike The Division, levelling up in Wildlands doesn't really affect your power level, merely your access to non-critical toys. And outside of story missions, you can go absolutely anywhere right from the start.
    So there's no need to worry about feeling massively left behind by others who may have played more
    Last edited by Malf; 16th Apr 2018 at 08:01.

Thing What Kicks
    Jesh & I are having a whale of a time with this.

The single player is a completely different, measured experience compared to the co-op, which by comparison is always teetering on the edge of devolving into slapstick comedy.

You'll approach an objective fully intent on clearing it in a stealthy, professional manner, but it inevitably goes horribly wrong. The game has a tendency in later zones to pack multiple independent objectives in to the same area, so you might be infiltrating intending to capture and interrogate a guy, but there'll also be a chopper there that needs capturing, and there might be a weapon or a medal or both around that need collecting.

And one of you will always indulge their inner magpie.

At that point, one of you might get spotted, or take down an enemy in full view of their buddies, and the guy you're meant to interrogate might make a run for it, the guys around the chopper get nervous and decide to fly away, and next thing you know you're frantically fending off goons while your buddy is bleeding out under an exploded car while the local rebels and military police force decide to pile in too.

Yes, it suffers from the usual Ubisoft iconitis and jingoistic Tom Clancy storyline, but the moment-to-moment gameplay is very fun.

Edit: Oh, and we're always being reminded of other games while playing, such as Far Cry or Just Cause 2, but I just thought of probably an even more obvious ancestor: Mercenaries 2!
    Last edited by Malf; 17th Apr 2018 at 06:51.

A sample of the above:

El Shagmeister
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Good editing, Bob. This was good times.

Also, Duck: you're an asshole. <3
    Love you too, sweet cheeks. <3

El Shagmeister
    Also: I swear I was not under the influence of any illegal or legal substances.

Except Sulphur.

Only Sulphur.

Always Sulphur.

<3

Goddamn, I laugh like a villain on crack...

EDIT: Bob, feel free to give a crack at editing my old Monaco videos. Some fun bits there too, lawls and such. <3

Level 10,000 achieved
    Nice vid, Jesh!

Love the drone footage of our APC rampage.

Kinda makes me feel sorry I wasn't there last Saturday - more than that, though, it makes me look forward to this coming Saturday. Are we meeting at 3pm UK time?

Thing What Kicks
    Yup, reckon so. I've set up a TTLG "Task Force" on the Ghost Recon website too, and set up an event for Saturday at 3PM BST.
    Being in a Task Force gives us access to Task Force Challenges, which apparently have unique rewards associated with them.

Thing What Kicks
    Just a quick note for Thirith:
    The in-game voice chat is shit, so we're using my Mumble server.

Cool, thanks. Do I have to actively deactivate it in-game?

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, mute the in-game voice, otherwise you might get dopplering.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Good Wildlands session tonight, despite all the bugs where some of us went invisible/started sliding around the ground/turned into haunted motorbikes. Also I may have thrown a grenade into a graveyard and crashed a mission-critical helicopter or two.

I liked the Sam Fisher mission though, even though we had a hard time with it. The requirement for hardcore stealth where we weren't even allowed to kill anyone for the first portion of it was a nice change of pace, and I liked the escape afterwards.

I enjoyed playing the mission much of the time, but there are two things about it that I consider almost unforgiveably bad design in an open-world game: 1) the insta-fail first part and 2) the lack of checkpointing. For me, the appeal of the game lies in planning, trying, failing and improvising; the way the first part of the mission is set up, it's more like a puzzle game, and I don't think that Wildlands' systems lend themselves to that. Still, when we actually managed and got to the end, I definitely enjoyed it greatly - and in part that was also because of the couple of failed attempts leading up to it.

Anyway, next week we're returning to Arma 3, but I am looking forward to some more Wildlands with you guys. Sorry that I'm not usually around during the week for some more of it!

Editing's kind of slapdash, but here's some of the adventure Malf and I went on to get a lot of dudes in a helicopter and then jump out when it's high up.

Are we ghosting some dudes next Saturday? As I've mentioned, I'll be away the week after, but I'd definitely be up for playing a tool of reactionary forces while snarking about the political and ideological implications of all of this. Oh, and shooting some dudes.

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 381318192021222324252627 ... LastLast