TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief: Deadly Shadows with EAX support

Thief: Deadly Shadows with EAX support

I have read through just about every thread out there and tried all of the solutions. Sadly with absolutely no luck.

So I was wondering if anyone has managed to get the EAX options working in TS with a non-soundblaster soundcard?

If they have please tell me how you get it working. Thank you!

If it helps in anyway here is some info about my system:

I bought TS through steam so i'm using that as a base
    I have the fat sneaky upgrade Thief: DS gold patch installed
    My OS is Windows 10 64bit
    My soundcard is a RealtekHD onboard audio

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    1. Purchase the Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 software suite, or find some other way (on your own) to install/register ALchemy + EAX Unified. The ALchemy software will detect your game.
    2. Enable EAX in TDS.

Done
    I have ALchemy and EAX Unified installed, I ran the ALchemy software and let it detect my game and activated the "Thief: Deadly Shadows" profile. I ran the game and "EAX Advanced HD" and "EAX Multiple Environments" is still greyed out for me.

It's odd because Thief Gold and Thief 2 run perfectly fine with just OpenAL but TS is becoming a bit of a nightmare to get working.

As I was googling one of the many threads todo lists I had seen people list the steps they used to get it working and I followed it to a T yet it just does not work. Every single time those two options are greyed out. I've tried all sorts of compatibility options from XP, Vista to 7 and even running as forced Admin but nothing seems to work for me. Maybe there is some simple step missing to all of this? I can't figure it out.

Thanks for trying anyway though! I appreciate the effort

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by goldwell View Post
    I have ALchemy and EAX Unified installed, I ran the ALchemy software and let it detect my game and activated the "Thief: Deadly Shadows" profile. I ran the game and "EAX Advanced HD" and "EAX Multiple Environments" is still greyed out for me.
    Could be a side effect of the game exe being renamed when the SU is installed. Check if EAX works in the original, unpatched game (there's a shortcut in the SU start menu group). Or set up a profile for "Thief3.exe" manually.

Using the package on this website, I was able to install EAX Unified and ALchemy (along with the extensions remover) to provide noticeably improved sound to Deadly Shadows with the latest Sneaky Upgrade Beta. I am also using a Realtek on board audio chip.

Judging by your first post, it seems you used the old modified version of ALchemy and did not use the official version with the extensions remover, correct me if I am wrong though. I originally had the same issues as you do now, but using the above method, I was able to get it functioning quite nicely.

Give it a try and let me know if it works for you too.
    Last edited by Jax64; 4th Aug 2016 at 16:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax64 View Post
    Using this package,
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/8h.../TRAOD_EAX.zip
    I was able to install EAX Unified and ALchemy (along with the extensions remover) to provide noticeably improved sound to Deadly Shadows with the latest Sneaky Upgrade Beta. I am also using a Realtek on board audio chip.

Judging by your first post, it seems you used the old modified version of ALchemy and did not use the official version with the extensions remover, correct me if I am wrong though. I originally had the same issues as you do now, but using the above method, I was able to get it functioning quite nicely.

Thanks, i'll give this a try! Also i'll have to find an alternatively extensions remover as my virus checker is picking up a trojan in that exe. It could be a false flag but I recommend scanning your system just incase.

edit: I just submitted the URL to my virus checker company (BitDefender) and they are going to look into it to see if it's a false positive.. i'll update here the result. I hope it's fine so that I can finally play TS with some EAX
    Last edited by goldwell; 4th Aug 2016 at 02:46.

This may sound strange but have you tried playing even with the options set to off ingame, to see if you are getting EAX nonetheless?

More than one game has required me to enable the game in ALchemy but disable EAX ingame in order to get EAX effects. And turning on EAX options ingame actually switches EAX off.

Strange but that has happened to me, with games such as Star Wars KOTOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax64 View Post
    Using the package on this website, I was able to install EAX Unified and ALchemy (along with the extensions remover) to provide noticeably improved sound to Deadly Shadows with the latest Sneaky Upgrade Beta. I am also using a Realtek on board audio chip.

I just got an email back from my virus checker company and they said there was nothing wrong with the file (and even updated their definitions to reflect that).

I installed following the steps provided and it works perfectly! And wow does it make a huge difference to the game.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it Hopefully in the future if anyone is stuck they can refer to this thread and get it working for them too.

Now time to play some Thief: Deadly Shadows!

Hi guys. The software package from the mentioned TR-Forum did work fine on Win7, but not on my Win8.1. But the latest Software-Package mentioned in that same Forum-thread did work for me!