TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: New FM program: NewDarkLoader version 1.5.8

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I actually did it a few hours ago, then started trying to simplify the multilanguage system.
    https://github.com/RSoul82/NewDarkLoader/
    Great! Thanks Robin. I'll take a look at the source code.

Just re-install. Strictly speaking there is no installation. I think 'installation' is when a program isn't just extracted somewhere, but it's registered with Windows as an installed program, and does things like creates registry entries, puts files in other folders (e.g. system32) etc. NewDarkLoader is just extracted into a folder, with a few minor changes to tell the game to use it.
    Just a quick note to say I've been preoccupied with other things but will get back to spending time with this issue soon. I'll post the results. Thanks R Soul for your efforts.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Download link for 1.4.7:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/kr4x39...oader1.4.7.zip
    If this improves things I'll update the first post, but it's hard to be sure if Sneaky.dll is getting its own crash.
    Definitely an improvement - now NDL is launched correctly, and FMs can be run.

If I click "Play Thief 3" or "Exit" then it crashes: The SelectFM call works fine but on return some stack space before and after the 'data' struct passed to NDL has been overwritten with zeroes. (This includes the function return address, so no wonder it crashes.) When starting an FM this doesn't happen.

Can you check on your side if the data passed to NDL gets handled differently in those cases?

Edit: Looks like 512 bytes of memory at the address pointed to by the sRootPath field gets overwritten with zeroes, and then the contents of the data struct gets written back?

Edit 2: If I make the sRootPath buffer 512 bytes, then the crash goes away. I'll do that if for some reason you can't heed the nMaxRootLen? (Btw. there should be no reason to change that string when exiting or launching the original game?)
    Last edited by snobel; 20th Mar 2017 at 15:08.

There's no need for NDL to do anything to the sRootPath value. There's no interface option to change it. I might have had the value sent back to the calling program in case I decided to let the user change it, or I might have just copied some code from Thief Fan Mission Manager without knowing what it meant.

Here's a version of 1.4.7 that doesn't change the value:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/41256c...der1.4.7_2.zip

Sneaky Upgrader
    That one works fine.

There's no need for NDL to do anything to the sRootPath value. There's no interface option to change it. I might have had the value sent back to the calling program in case I decided to let the user change it, or I might have just copied some code from Thief Fan Mission Manager without knowing what it meant.

Here's a version of 1.4.7 that doesn't change the value:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/41256c...der1.4.7_2.zip
    I got NDL to work using 1.4.7 and loaded a FM called "All The Worlds A Stage". I went to options to change resolution after I walked around a bit and noticed I needed to tweek some things, which shouldn't be relevant, but it was then I got the error message you see in the image below.

Next thing I did was install 1.4.7.2.
    NDL kicks in perfectly, but I now can't play the FM at all, getting the same error message.

This could very well be a problem isolated to me, but I really don't know how to go forward from here. Maybe downloading a different FM to see if the same problem continues?

[/URL][/IMG]
    Last edited by Clock; 21st Mar 2017 at 11:39. Reason: Change Image

I downloaded "Avoiding Mistrust" and it appears to be working properly, but I haven't played it for more than 1 min. Perhaps its an issue with that particular FM (All The Worlds A Stage)

Sneaky Upgrader
    Avoiding Mistrust has a bug on Normal difficulty - it'll crash when you try to save. Could that explain it? Sorry - got it mixed up with All the World's a Stage.

Edit: I can play All the World's a Stage just fine apparently. If you keep having problems, try the SU 1.1.8 (just out - lets you select NewDarkLoader from the tweak tool...)
    Last edited by snobel; 21st Mar 2017 at 13:25.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Avoiding Mistrust has a bug on Normal difficulty - it'll crash when you try to save. Could that explain it? Sorry - got it mixed up with All the World's a Stage.

Edit: I can play All the World's a Stage just fine apparently. If you keep having problems, try the SU 1.1.8 (just out...)
    Actually, I did something (don't know what) that was very nasty and TDS completely shut down and wouldn't respond through Steam OR directly. So I had to re-install the game (via Steam), then re-install NDL & SU. I downloaded SU 1.1.8. so now I'm all up to date .

Looks good so far. It's been sooo long since I played TDS that I have to reacquaint myself to the game. I think I only played it through twice. So before attacking any FM's, I'll probably run through the game proper first.

Thank you snobel and thank you R Soul (is the joke saying your nick fast ) for your help

Sneaky Upgrader
    Just noticed that the info file shown for the FM Thief's Rising GE is Bonus.txt - a bit unfortunate, because it explains how to achieve a bonus level / easter egg. Maybe first look for a file named Readme?

for T3 FMs in general, the best strategy is looking for a .glml file. It's present in most FMs and converts easily to html. It's also easy to get a proper mission title from there.

Something can be done about that. NDL already finds all possible readme files, and shows the first one if finds. Right clicking allows the user to select another one (along with other FM details). When a newly installed FM is selected, I could have NDL show a list of detected files. The selection would be stored so the user would only have to do it once per FM.

While investigating this, I noticed that it was setting a generic "Something" title for T3 FMs. I looked at my code (it's been a while) and found that I'd disabled code which delves into the archive and gets the title from other files.

I'm not sure why I disabled it. It starts on line 1758 of Form1.cs if anyone's interested in seeing if there's an obvious bug.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Looking over the code briefly, the approach looks fine. Better enable it and see what happens... Maybe there's just a bug in there that you wanted out of the way?

Because of a discussion in a separate thread where the friendly folks were adamant in pointing out the many advantages in not using DarkLoader anymore I tried NewDarkLoader after a fresh install of Thief 2 and applying the most recent TafferPatcher and the brand new NewDark version.

The good stuff:
    The text window at the bottom is nice with resizeable text and a "full screen" display.
    The original T2-missions work as expected and so do FMs that support the language of my installation (German as I have the German version).

The problematic stuff:
    FMs that do not support German language (= have no files included for it in their zips) result in:
    - invisible mission goals (with square characters "[]" as bullet points)
    - invisible text in all readables, making them completely unreadabl
    - the mission title isn't used for save file names, only the playing time (not a big deal)

Obviously this makes playing most FMs not exactly a joy...

Using the FM selector built into NewDark does not have these problems but on the other hand doesn't have a nice text window at the bottom...

I tried the various setup options of NDL to no avail. Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

One thing at a time (quite a long time too, now that I have less free time)

I've worked on the problem with multiple readmes, and have a solution which is almost there. If the FM has multiple possible files, and one hasn't yet been chosen (i.e. no entry saved in NewDarkLoader.ini), the program will give the user a list to choose from. The only snag is that if such an FM is the first one in the table, the readme list will prevent the table from being drawn.

Here's a test version:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/z8lota...oader1.4.8.zip
    If you already have older versions, only NewDarkLoader.dll needs to be extracted. If you've been making use of the multi-language feature, no changes have been made since 1.4.6.

The modified source is here: https://github.com/RSoul82/NewDarkLoader/

It seems that Calibrator's problem was a false alarm. I decided to refine the issue of FMs with multiple text files, and managed to get something better. It now shows the choice in the readme pane, so the rest of the program isn't blocked while waiting for the user to select one. It looks much cleaner. It only shows up under the same conditions as the previous solution.

Download link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/qg5he4...oader1.4.9.zip

Source:
    https://github.com/RSoul82/NewDarkLoader/

I've been late getting on to using it but am glad I did. Thanks very much R Soul!

It seems that I never uploaded 1.4.10, which tweaked the readme system, but now it's time to release 1.4.11, which has a minor tweak to the mp3 conversion (the message now only shows if there are any mp3 files).

edit:
    I made a new addition, for Dromeders, so I've re-uploaded and now it's version 1.5:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/p818qj...kLoader1.5.zip
    Last edited by R Soul; 29th May 2017 at 11:41.

AKA H3H3
    Hey, I've recently been having a problem with NewDarkLoader 1.5 and it only happens on Thief 2.

For some reason, the program doesn't want to launch. I checked the Task Manager and it clearly shows thief2.exe in the processes tab, but it closes itself after a few seconds. I tried doing everything to fix it. I ran it as an admin, I did a clean boot (couldn't trace the problem), I messed with the cmd, I reinstalled NDL, etc. but it's still not working. The weird thing is that FMSel works perfectly fine. It only seems to be NDL that's having this issue.

Are there any solutions for it?

There might be something in one of your FMs that's causing a problem. Try moving half your FMs into another folder and running NDL again. If it still has trouble, put them back and move the other half.

AKA H3H3
    There might be something in one of your FMs that's causing a problem. Try moving half your FMs into another folder and running NDL again. If it still has trouble, put them back and move the other half.
    It turned out to be the 'Finals at the Academy' mission folder that was causing the problem. I decided to delete it and now NDL works. Thanks for the help.

That's strange. I have that on my PC too, but it doesn't cause any problems. I tried deleting the archive so it was a 'folder only' FM, and removing the ini entry, but still no crash.

Ok 1.5 won't work with shock 2. Here's the error:
    See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index
    at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
    at NewDarkLoader.Form1.selectLastPlayed()
    at NewDarkLoader.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1648.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    NewDarkLoader
    Assembly Version: 1.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.5.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/games/Shock2/SHOCK/NewDarkLoader.DLL
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1647.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1647.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I hope you can fix this?

Edit: I looked through some previous posts and remembered the error I had in the beginning and they appear to be the same. I'm not a programmer but the error has the same information as the date display issue from before. Could it have come back or do all errors have the same basic information?
    Last edited by Stingm; 2nd Jul 2017 at 08:43.

It could be a problem with a specific FM, so I'll need a download link for it. That last time you had this problem it was because of an HTML readme.

There is no ndlog.txt file...or is it another now??

Edit: The fan missions are the same as well. The only thing that changed was having to format and reinstall windows 10 and stuff.
    Last edited by Stingm; 2nd Jul 2017 at 11:53.

I removed the logging feature because I didn't want to add yet another file to the user's game folder. I've now re-added it but you have to turn it on with a Log=1 entry in the [Config] section of NewDarkLoader.ini.

Download link for new version:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/h4kc1f...oader1.5.1.zip
    (only NewDarkLoader.dll needs to be extracted if any previous versions have already been installed).

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast