TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Any exploring FMs with few enemies?

Any exploring FMs with few enemies?

My 7 year old daughter is all in on TG and T2--I am so proud! She's mastered controls, inventory, and basic game play, except she hits "Esc" when surprised by enemies and has me dispatch with them or hide. She plays on "Normal" and doesn't mind killing anyone from afar.

My question is are there any FMs with an emphasis on exploring, loot and problem solving with few or easy to manage enemies for the kiddo?

Fables of the Penitent Thief sounds like a good place to start, although you're getting out of the Thief universe there.

Quote Originally Posted by Risquit View Post
    She plays on "Normal" and doesn't mind killing anyone from afar.
    Yeah, at 7 years old, maybe she shouldn't be doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Yeah, at 7 years old, maybe she shouldn't be doing that.
    How old were you when you pushed an old mushroom addicted plumber on the head of defenseless turtle?

How wonderful! (Nvm brethrenís view, imo.) I cant wait to share this world with my daughter!

Temple of the Tides is an impeccably crafted puzzler with an emphasis on problem solving, exploration and platforming. There are a handful of baddies, but nothing humanoid or scary, or particularly difficult to avoid.

It involves a bit of reading, perhaps a tad out of reach for a typical 7 year old. But with you by her side, I think it would be some good reading (and decoding!) practice.

You could let her play Father's Pride. Pretty easy without much to speak of for enemies, plus you could change the objective picture to a picture of your daughter as a surprise.

Rose Cottage

One thought - I'm guessing through the use of dmls, it would possible to eliminate all enemies for just about any mission fairly easily.

All the missions from the Dromed beauty contest are basically just explorations.

A couple of those had complex enough environments she might enjoy spending some time exploring them.

The Clocktower, for instance.

I second Fables of the Penitant thief.

I don't know if it counts since it's a demo, but there's an obscure early set of missions for TG called Athene that the author made for a school project showcasing ancient Greek architecture. Both levels are pretty small and don't have objectives or really much to do beyond look around, but there are also no enemies.

There's also Tom's Fun Level, another TG obscurity which is the exact opposite. It was made by a father/son pair, so your daughter might get a kick out of it in that sense. It's literally stuffed to the brim with creatures and guards, but you also get hundreds of every type of equipment, so it's good for a laugh. There aren't really any surprises; it's mostly just massive air brush after massive air brush full of randomly placed AI.

Thank you for the suggestions! We will try Fables of the Penitent Thief, Father's Pride (perfect title for this thread!), and The Clocktower to start, though we will try them all .

Seriously fun reliving this game through her and seeing the wonder in her eyes. Have to laugh when she hits "Q" or "E" to look around corners but is also leaning slowly in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Risquit View Post

Seriously fun reliving this game through her and seeing the wonder in her eyes. Have to laugh when she hits "Q" or "E" to look around corners but is also leaning slowly in real life
    Honestly I would have to side with Brethren. This game is rated M -Mature for a reason. I feel that the behaviors she learns can carry over into real life. Younger minds are very impressionable, and I'm wonder about nightmares as well. I hope you understand that I mean no disrespect, but this is how I feel personally about young kids playing adult games. There may be a few FMs that are low key, but everyone who plays Thief wants more... that leads to all of the other FMs. Not to be off topic, but I'd suggest the Nancy Drew games even though they are for 10 to adult.
    Love Story V Part 1 (100% complete), Part 2-1 (100% complete), Part 2-2 (100% complete)

He's being a responsible adult and curating content for his kid.

Trust that he's watching her and knows where she's at.

I'd echo a few of the users' advice in being careful what a 7-year old is encouraged to play. My oldest is 8 and I would never let her play Thief for a long time still. Someone mentioned Mario and jumping on turtles. Are you seriously comparing the two? I like that you are wanting to ease her in with non-combat missions, but a person that age is very moldable, both for good and for bad. Not trying to parent for you, and mean no disrespect, but I also think this forum should voice both ends of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    This game is rated M -Mature for a reason.
    Yes, but I think that "reason" is that some Tipper Gore clone took it upon him/herself to protect children from the evils from free expression. There is absolutely no evidence that playing these games is harmful to children of any age, and significant evidence that it is beneficial, in moderation (improved spacial reasoning, better hand/eye coordination, quicker reaction time, etc...). Whether 7 is old enough or not is something that the parent should be able to assess. Sounds like he's doing everything right here, and I applaud that! I hope my daughter will show similar zeal for the game when I finally introduce her.

As to my own experience, I played thief at 9 (when it came out) without a parent by my side, and it seemed perfectly age appropriate-- though a few undead moments scared the pants off of me! Prior to that, I had been playing Doom, Wolfenstein3D, Hexen, Marathon, Warcraft 2, Out of this World (or Another World to the non-US crowd), Pathways into Darkness, etc... for *years.* Sometimes I'd play with my dad, but sometimes I'd be playing on my own or with my brother. I wish Thief would have been around when I was 7!

Thing is, Thief could be a decent game for kids in certain situations, especially playing on Expert where killing basically gives you a "game over." But overall, the game has some really scary, intense parts, and maybe it's just my opinion I realize, but killing humans at age 7 seems really harsh. Would you let your 7 year old play GTA or Resident Evil? Some of the other games you mentioned like Hexen and Doom are more cartoony and you're basically just killing imaginary beasts, so that doesn't seem like the same thing to me.

And I have no idea how you can tell from the extremely brief OP that "he's doing everything right." What are you basing that on? The fact that she can't even continue the game herself when being directly confronted by an AI should tell you everything you need to know.

I played GTA as a 7 year old... and a lot of other games. Every parent has their own view of it, doesn't mean that there is a perfect example. That goes for a lot of things in raising children. Other parents will always know better in their perspective. Just respect it and leave it at that.

Anyway, I think it's really nice that she's playing Thief! Maybe she will like my mission Mystery of the Upper Quarter. It has a lot of exploration in a big greek-like city. Almost all the houses can be entered too. There are some guards situations that may get tricky though. There's also spiders and when you go underground there is a very brief scary moment, just to let you know in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    What are you basing that on?
    He’s clearly very attentive to her limits, what she likes and doesn’t like, and he’s come to the forum asking how to provide more of what she likes, and less of what she doesn’t like. A+ job, in my book.

I let my kids play Thief to a certain extent when they were younger, although I didn't want them watching the Simpsons until they were a little older. I didn't mind explaining what a taffer was, but didn't want to explain what Homer meant when he said "We invented the gloryhole!" and the double meaning of calling dolphins "Those tuna munchers"....
    Last edited by uncadonego; 9th Jul 2020 at 04:13.