TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW T2 FM: Morbid Curiosity (October 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by thief-outside-a-box View Post
    Anyway, I went through the undead area, putting everyone down and winning the first statue *yay*, but now I can't "continue the tour" through the red portal, frobbing, running, jumping, nothing works?
    spoiler:
    Look for a skull relief on a wall not too far from the portal. About eye level to you left IIRC is a switch in a niche on the wall. Don't miss the goodies you can take now....close to the portal

Thanks, Unna Oertdottir and Unkillable Cat! Now to try and find him again. I should have noted him on the map as I knew I'd got to go back there at some point.

Edit. I remember where he is now.

I love that you guys are having fun with it! Warts, bugs and all.. LOL ;-)

I'm still working on some little fixes for the mish, and was going to upload last night, but I ran out of time. Just to clarify also, the best way into the Gallery (should be the only way in actually - seems I missed a frobbable window that shouldn't be frobbable, lol: Be sure to visit the church first and read the priest's journal (the visiting priest staying in downstairs room by library). After fully exploring the church, get into the north canal via the crypts, and the north canal will take you on a path to the Gallery.

Also, here are some hints where to find all six secrets:

1. Garden Shoppe: basement area
    2. Guardhouse by Southgate - guard quarters
    3. Benny's lunchbox.. find some people who could use this.
    4. Weapons shop
    5. Carthwright's office (the healer/apothecary). Hopefully you have visited the psychic's shop first - something you need from there.
    6. Hammerite's guard quarters. Bigger hint: Be sure to have your sword handy for some redecorating in there.

Quote Originally Posted by nightchild View Post
    I am almost 6 hours in the game and I don't want it to finish... !!! One of the best missions, especially for a first!!!
    My question is about the music theme at loading screen... is it from those amazing 11th Hour and 7th Guest games? It sounds soooo familiar !!
    Thank you for your great efforts pukey brunster !
    To be honest, I'm not sure.. I hope that I did not miss any music credits. I actually missed some object credits (Purgator's AI) which will definitely be given credit in the 1.1 read me. I should be uploading that soon. I've been collecting objects & items for so long, that I lost track of some of the original sources.. so please everyone let me know if missed a credit. Our amazing object/texture/music authors deserve to have that recognition for their great work.

EDIT: The musicbox theme (if that is the one you mean) I actually found at FreeSound.org. At the loading screen, it is remixed with the clock sound from the Gallery clocktower, also found at FreeSound
    Last edited by pukey brunster; 13th Oct 2016 at 12:10.

I'm still left with a constantly crashing game (even after trying your save Unna), after I go near the shops if I save or load it crashes to the desktop and I don't know why :/

Judging by the sound of everyone else's posts it's all working fine, i've tried fresh installing Thief 2, i've reinstalled NewDark 1.24 and i've even switched from Dark Loader to FMSel but it still seems to be broken.

I've never had an FM crash before either so I wonder what's causing so many issues, also Unna my problem isn't always saving it also crashes when I try to reload as well.

@Pukey Brunster I have the following set in my cam_mod.ini "mod_path .\MODS\NecWtr+.\MODS\t2skies+.\MODS\EP\EPBooks+.\MODS\EP+.\MODS\NTEX+.\patchedmis"

Do you think anything in there would cause a confliction with your mission?

Quote Originally Posted by pukey brunster View Post
    To be honest, I'm not sure.. I hope that I did not miss any music credits. I actually missed some object credits (Purgator's AI) which will definitely be given credit in the 1.1 read me. I should be uploading that soon. I've been collecting objects & items for so long, that I lost track of some of the original sources.. so please everyone let me know if missed a credit. Our amazing object/texture/music authors deserve to have that recognition for their great work.

EDIT: The musicbox theme (if that is the one you mean) I actually found at FreeSound.org. At the loading screen, it is remixed with the clock sound from the Gallery clocktower, also found at FreeSound
    probably not... any way the music was by Fat man and George Alistair Sanger . I copy the part 1 lets play just for the similarities https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjQJ6cLKLBM

Also, here are some hints where to find all six secrets:

1. Garden Shoppe: basement area
    2. Guardhouse by Southgate - guard quarters
    3. Benny's lunchbox.. find some people who could use this.
    4. Weapons shop
    5. Carthwright's office (the healer/apothecary). Hopefully you have visited the psychic's shop first - something you need from there.
    6. Hammerite's guard quarters. Bigger hint: Be sure to have your sword handy for some redecorating in there.
    Thanks for this. I'm pretty sure I've found all these, but my secrets count is only 5. With number 5, I put aspirin into Cartwright's cup and a morgue room opened downstairs, but with no loot in it. Is that secret 5, or did I miss something?

Thanks again Slyfoxx

Finished it on hard (without the optional curse), here are my thoughts:

spoiler:

Start:
    The mission starts off with "no bj/rope/picks" which is a tremendous pitfall that can cripple a fm on the spot. Yet thanks to the CLEAR statement where to get the stuff, it provided variation and fun. Only thing I don't understand is the purpose of the hidden room in the inn, as it has no doors. Maybe nice for conspirative meet-ups, but seems rather streched with the fireplace and all.

Idea, atmosphere and flow:
    The idea of putting the various worlds into one gallery is a unique, fresh concept and was well done and with a good laugh here and there. The funny bits like the hints to visit the gift-shop and the "huge prize" were great and well-placed. Yet poor tree-beasts, they lack intelligence? I call slander

The atmosphere was mostly fantastic, I liked the drunken/poor city (guess they spend all their money on grog, though even the undead are stingy as hell: not accepting Benny's food and a huge cake or the zombie you free from eternal hell with two fire arrows for 600 leaves you with just 100 gold... cheapskate!). The visuals were fresh and fitting as well.
    The sound... for a long time I thought this is one, if not THE top fm with the most fitting soundbits. Your choices were always spot on and build up immensly. I can't praise you enough on this, in this regard you show amazing talent. Yet while every sound in itself was spot on, on a whole I can't help but feel that it was too much. There was always something going on, be it music/singing/critters fighting... even when I dived towards the gallery, travelling underwater I was exposed to soundfiles. Which would have been awesome on it's own, but as I got a constant onslaught of sound, at some point I had to take a break.

The flow was pretty good, I found the hints and lockpicking time to be fine. I only had problems with the office-window and the second lever in the undead zone. Also Garrett carrying out parcels felt kinda... eh. It just prolongs your stay in the city without providing something new (as you don't even have to enter the buildings or rather do anyway for loot). Plus the object ticks off before you collect the reward at the shop. For bugs I only encountered some corners/walls hurting Garrett.

Verdict:
    For your first mission you went in full swing, providing a very long & huge mission stuffed with unique ideas, visuals and sound. And while it is a bit rough around the edges (yet taking into account how it is your first, that is nothing), the wonderful humor and overall atmosphere make this an unforgettable & very enjoyable fm. Great job, I can't wait for how after this debut your next fm will turn out! Thank you very much pukey brunster!

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    @Goldwell: You have installed some mods (t2skies, NTEX...) Try to disable them. Your savegame (near the grocery and the hammerite area) is running fine in my installation without any mods.
    But the other savegame is broken for some reasons. Did you save near the hammerite area as well? There's also a suspicios ropey arrow with a strange submodel in the tower .

Great Mission so far, Having a blast....except i`m having trouble, everytime when i`m close too the wall or something i hear wacking sounds like the "blackjack"....so everyone hears me coming????? is there a solution??
    Grtzz T-Linkz

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    @Goldwell: You have installed some mods (t2skies, NTEX...) Try to disable them. Your savegame (near the grocery and the hammerite area) is running fine in my installation without any mods.
    But the other savegame is broken for some reasons. Did you save near the hammerite area as well? There's also a suspicios ropey arrow with a strange submodel in the tower .
    I found that both your save game and my one would corrupt in a way if I completed the church related things early on. Now i'm about 2 hours into the mission and haven't entered the church yet and I have had no crashes.. i'm thinking as strange as it might be, maybe because I was completing the objectives in a certain order it was causing a glitch.

Regardless everything seems to be working, i'm about upto the point now where i've done everything in the city and my last objective is to go into the church and begin that part of the mission.

Thanks for your help btw!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Linkz View Post
    Great Mission so far, Having a blast....except i`m having trouble, everytime when i`m close too the wall or something i hear wacking sounds like the "blackjack"....so everyone hears me coming????? is there a solution??
    Grtzz T-Linkz
    Are you running NewDark 1.24? I think that issue arises if you're on an older version of newdark.

I betatested this mission, and I'm running under Newdark 1.21 or 1.22 I think.
    I had no problems to finish the last betatest.

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

@goldwell, Yes i`m running 1.24
    And now after a few times reloading, the "wacking" sound is gone, now i get random crashes back to desktop

Well, this was an entertaining romp through the City of Drunks. I found all the secrets (thanks for the hints) but I'm still short around 680 of the total loot count. That's a rather large amount, makes me feel like I'm missing out on a whole hidden section somewhere.

As for what I think of the FM, there's not much I can add that hasn't already been said. Well-used and placed hi-res art, great selection of sounds, and the Gallery...wow. Last time I had so much fun in a museum heist was in the fourth mission of Ruins of Originia.

The biggest flaws have also been brought up - all those sounds can become a little too much, especially since some of them are LOUDER than others, but I hear that may be addressed in an updated release. One flaw that hasn't been brought up is a personal pet peeve of mine that I call Audiolog Syndrome - readables that convey a person's thoughts, which then are directly committed to paper...even though no sane person would ever write these things in such a manner. It kinda works if people are using a dictaphone or voice mail but this is Thief, not System Shock. But since almost every Thief FM does this, it would be unfair to single out this FM for it, but I still think it needs to be mentioned.

Overall I'd say this is a strong contender for Thief 1/2 FM of the Year. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Unkillable Cat View Post
    One flaw that hasn't been brought up is a personal pet peeve of mine that I call Audiolog Syndrome - readables that convey a person's thoughts, which then are directly committed to paper...even though no sane person would ever write these things in such a manner.
    Lots of sane people commit their thoughts to paper, in what I call...'Diaries'.

Spot on, Chris.

Hello goldwell, and hope we can help to figure it out for you! I think Unna's suggestion about the mods is all I can come up with too. There are so many people here in these forums that are far smarter than myself, for helping with these issue though. I love building, but admit I have a lot to learn about the "guts" of the engine itself.

I hope you will keep trying though, and if I have an inspired idea will certainly let you know

Quote Originally Posted by goldwell View Post
    I'm still left with a constantly crashing game (even after trying your save Unna), after I go near the shops if I save or load it crashes to the desktop and I don't know why :/

Judging by the sound of everyone else's posts it's all working fine, i've tried fresh installing Thief 2, i've reinstalled NewDark 1.24 and i've even switched from Dark Loader to FMSel but it still seems to be broken.

I've never had an FM crash before either so I wonder what's causing so many issues, also Unna my problem isn't always saving it also crashes when I try to reload as well.

@Pukey Brunster I have the following set in my cam_mod.ini "mod_path .\MODS\NecWtr+.\MODS\t2skies+.\MODS\EP\EPBooks+.\MODS\EP+.\MODS\NTEX+.\patchedmis"

Do you think anything in there would cause a confliction with your mission?

Thief-outside-a-box, thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts, and for the tips ;-)

I agree that the sound has been an issue.. I'm fixing the files Fen pointed out to be 16 bit, which I am told should help. This is (clearly) not my strongest point - the more technical side, but I love a good challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    Thanks for this. I'm pretty sure I've found all these, but my secrets count is only 5. With number 5, I put aspirin into Cartwright's cup and a morgue room opened downstairs, but with no loot in it. Is that secret 5, or did I miss something?
    Check closely the floor of the surgery room.. the severed hand ;-)

Unkillable Cat - thank you! Hopefully by next year or possibly into 2018 will have a new one. I just can't make em small it seems.. my ideas start out simple, and then Dromed takes over and possesses my brain, and the missionbeast continues to grow..
    Last edited by pukey brunster; 13th Oct 2016 at 23:16.

If this is your first FM, I am blown away....this has shot up in to my top 10 FMs for sure. Keep it up!

Check closely the floor of the surgery room.. the severed hand ;-)
    Thanks again. Finished about a 1000 short of max loot, can't think where it is as I've given the town, sewers and gallery a fairly good going over!

Audiolog - so for example the diaries where the writer is interrupted near the end, yet bothers to keep on writing as he gets torn apart by a beast or whatever:
    "[...]yet whenever I hold the stone... huh? What is that sound? Who goes there? Oh my god, what is this? It's eating me! AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!"
    I just made this up (poorly), but I guess this is what Unkillable Cat refers to.

I rather fly through the pages, so most of the time I don't realise/bother. What I notice is when a poor soul gets trapped/half-crushed by a cave-in with just a single flare (he then used up long ago), his sword and pen+paper. And writes a perfect (layouted) diary in pitch-black-darkness. Yet I can suspend my disbelief most of the time.

Just FYI - concerning crashes
    I was trying to get this FM running, but it always crashed already while 'Loading the mission'.
    Finally I figured out it would be a good idea to disable ALL mods (comment out everything in mod_path in cam_mod.ini).
    Now the mission comes up!
    Not sure if there is a culprit among those mods I have installed for quite a while already without any issues,
    but since the mission seems to come with a load of custom stuff, it should be a reasonable thing to try anyway.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast